Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | War Thunder | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,627 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,693
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Do not install ARC on your pc !!!

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
83 posts found
  Karahandras

Apprentice Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

12/14/13 12:15:09 PM#41
Originally posted by gigat
Originally posted by Karahandras
Originally posted by Karahandras

Just curious, but how do you know they are taking your information and selling it?  I have ARC installed right now for STO, but it's not running and I don't see any extra processes in Task Manager (unless it's running under one of the "svchost.exe" processes).  I see the ArcPlugin in Firefox, but it's disabled now.

At first it seems odd that they would automatically install the ArcPlugin in your browser, but I'm guessing it serves a similar purpose as Origin's browser functionality for launching Battlefield 3.

So back to my question, how do you know they are selling your information?  How do you know they are gathering information?  Isn't it possible that the ArcPlugin simply ties your browser to the desktop application, allowing you to launch the game from the game's official website?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just looking for evidence.  I'd like to get the facts straight before I join the mob and raise a fuss!  If there is evidence to prove they are gathering my info and selling it, then I will gladly uninstall and boycott ARC!

Should be in the terms and conitions and the privacy policy.  Not always very legible though and you may need to hunt for the right t&c/pp.

Also if it stores the info like steam etc. and then transfers during updates and so on there should be a folder or two somewhere on your hd.  But i hear arc streams the info so not sure on this.

Can you please provide a link or an excerpt which backs your claim?  You (and others) are making the claim, therefore the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Since you are making such a bold claim, I assume you have actually read the terms and conditions, so it shouldn't be any trouble for you to point out the evidence, correct?

What claim?  I haven't made any with regards to arc.

And btw you're the one that's using it and should have read the terms and privacy's before you accpeted and be informing us what you read.

Someone has claimed that PWI is gathering information and selling it using ARC.  The person making the claim must have evidence, otherwise they are just spewing nonsense.  If they can't provide evidence, then anything they say should be treated with scrutiny.  Simple as that.

To be honest, I don't like Perfect World or Cryptic.  I have no interest in defending them, but I do have an interest in getting the facts straight before I raise pitchforks.  If there is evidence of any wrong-doing, then someone should have posted that evidence all over the Internet in order to bring justice to this company.  Since this hasn't happened, I can only assume that the OP is full of shit.  Wouldn't you agree?

edit - Also sorry about the way I replied.  I just found it absurd that I asked for evidence, and the only reply was a suggestion to read the terms and conditions.  You could be absolutely correct that the evidence is in there.  I'm just surprised no one (particularly the accuser) has pointed the exact statement which confirms the accusation. You know what I mean?

For all I know, the accusation might be entirely true, but the OP might also be blowing it out of proportion.  This tends to happen a lot on the Internet!

NP(done it myself now and again).  I too was hoping for some evidence to be presented and I can't find any terms etc for arc specifically and the general cryptic/pwe ones aren't anywhere near as bad as some.   I'll guess I'l just have to wait until it's fully rolled out to see if it's an evil drm clone or just a unified launcher/marketing tool.

LeGrosGamer

Novice Member

12/14/13 12:20:58 PM#42
How about not playing STO in the first place?   You got at least 50 MMO's that are way better then STO in every aspect.  I should know because I used to be founder. Got screwed so bad, but that's life, you learn from your mistakes! :D
  Karahandras

Apprentice Member

12/17/13 11:19:45 PM#43
Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
How about not playing STO in the first place?   You got at least 50 MMO's that are way better then STO in every aspect.  I should know because I used to be founder. Got screwed so bad, but that's life, you learn from your mistakes! :D

Always a viable option,  Not sure there are 50 mmo's that are better but there are certainly plenty that are roughly the same.

Hellidol

Hard Core Member

12/17/13 11:37:11 PM#44
good thing i stop playing ANY PWI games because they are corrupt beyond corrupt as a organization. Just dont play ANY of their games, they are thieves and if we are smart we should try and open up a class action law case against them.

JemAs666

Apprentice Member

12/17/13 11:44:45 PM#45
I have been using ARC since release with no issues.  No extra processes running or browser plugins.  What amazes me is people are worried about this game launcher but have no issue heading over to awesomehotwomennaked.whatever and similar sites which are no doubt more malicious than this game launcher from PerfectWorld.
  Alverant

Hard Core Member

12/17/13 11:51:42 PM#46

Someone has claimed that PWI is gathering information and selling it using ARC.  The person making the claim must have evidence, otherwise they are just spewing nonsense.  If they can't provide evidence, then anything they say should be treated with scrutiny.  Simple as that.

Let me ask you this, why would a game company want to install a program on your browser when it has nothing to do with the game? If the program doesn't appear to be doing anything, why force people to install it in the first place? Now when you think of possible answers to those questions, "information gathering and selling" is a valid answer and probably the most likely answer. If you have a better answer, I'm willing to read it.
  Alverant

Hard Core Member

12/17/13 11:53:09 PM#47

"Better" is a matter of opinion plus there are people who want to play in the Star Trek universe.

Uhwop

Elite Member

12/18/13 12:13:22 AM#48
Originally posted by Alverant

Let me ask you this, why would a game company want to install a program on your browser when it has nothing to do with the game? If the program doesn't appear to be doing anything, why force people to install it in the first place? Now when you think of possible answers to those questions, "information gathering and selling" is a valid answer and probably the most likely answer. If you have a better answer, I'm willing to read it.

If I had to guess, I'd say because it's a browser plugin that allows you to launch their games from their website. 

But that would be silly; couldn't possibly be the reason, since that's exactly what it does. 

You're right, a plugin that allows you to launch the game from their website has "nothing to do with their game". 

I'm pretty sure you're not interested in reading anything either, seeing as several people in this thread already pointed out exactly what the plugin is for, and you're still claiming it's to steal your information so they can sell it. 

Karahandras

Apprentice Member

12/21/13 1:12:20 PM#49

"Better" is a matter of opinion plus there are people who want to play in the Star Trek universe.

There aren't really a lot of star trek gaming options atm are there. Outside the old games(which may/maynot work on new systems)there's sto or crap tie-ins to crap movies.

Karahandras

Apprentice Member

12/21/13 1:13:15 PM#50

Maybe marketing.  They could use it to redirect searches to themselves(or those that have paid).

fistorm

Novice Member

1/07/14 11:09:03 PM#51

PWI gets a lot of advertisement money from ZEN advertisers, which by the way,  PWI even has a program where you do surveys for companies for free ZEN.   You can bet that anything they put on your browser is pure adware related and earning them extra cash on your browser habits.    Its a grey line of right and wrong,   I think its right if they are upfront about it and reward you for it,  but I think its completely wrong if you do  not want it to protect your privacy.   In the end, gamers will have to show how much they care about their privacy once again,  just like those on facebook and those who choose not to participate on facebook.  Those who post on youtube and those who would never post on youtube.  Unfortuantly I was about to download the game again, because I'm a lifetime subscription holder, BUT I care more about my privacy then a game so I will choose not to participate in this.  Just like when WoW tried to use REAL ID on us,  I stoped playing wow that Day and never, ever touched that game since.  A game company must be trustworthy enough to handle your data and privacy as if it was a bank because they do use transactions that affect your bank account and privacy like any other store who sells you a product.

Panzerbase

Apprentice Member

1/07/14 11:24:29 PM#52
I just get the game off a torrent when it becomes stable and send in a check and tell them as much. 
  mbrodie

Advanced Member

1/07/14 11:32:32 PM#53
Originally posted by Roxtarr
It's harmless. There's nothing to see here folks. If someone is that paranoid of somebody spying on their computer, then they need to disconnect from the internet. 

honestly makes you wonder what people are doing on their computers to be so paranoid in the first place.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/08/14 1:48:10 AM#54

You can install and play both STO and Neverwinter on Steam, along with some other PWE games, if you don't want to use Arc.

edit: ugh - lack of sleep is kicking in. I meant to write that you can play the games through Steam now.

Curse you AquaScum!

Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

1/08/14 2:07:40 AM#55

Man, the amount of paranoia in this thread is crazy. I sure hope none of you paranoid folks have Facebook accounts, you'd shit yourselves if you knew how much data they have stored on you, and yes they do sell it.

As for ARC, you don't need it for anything other than downloading and installing the game's launcher. Once that's done the game's launcher will download and install the initial game, as well as future patches, all without the need for ARC. I install it only when I want to download a game and then uninstall it afterwards, not because I'm paranoid, but because my laptop is getting old and I don't want more programs running in the background than is absolutely necessary.

Mizzoufan

Hard Core Member

1/08/14 2:12:21 AM#56
Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
Originally posted by WarWitch

As many know, all PWI games are making it mandatory to install ARC to download and play any pwi game. Read the over 60 page discussion about it on the sto forms and you will find out. ARC installs into your brouser and spys on you from the browser even if no pwi game is being played. This is not anti hack code but spy wear pure and simple. It adds several processes to you pc full time as well. Stay far away from any gaming compony that's stealing your info and reselling it. This has to be illegal. Theirs a lot of talk in the pwi community about a boycott to get pwi to remove ARC completely. Fleets in STo that have survived the pwi buyout and years of gaming are all ready planning to move to other games.

This is as bad as SWG when the 100 thousand patiton  was sent in asking sony to not nge and sony did it anyway.

Sorry my English not so good .

lol Illegal? Not a chance, you agreed to the program and its functions. If you don't want to have that program spying on you don't install it, It's that simple.

^this

cronius77

Apprentice Member

1/08/14 2:21:35 AM#57
what do you really expect OP this is not the first company in the asian free to play market to do this and it wont be the last. Chinese companies do not have to abide by our rules here and even if it is deemed illegal or spy wear the chances of anything out of china being stopped is next to none considering how shady their government is. Cryptic was bought out by PWI and there is nothing them , or yourself can do about it. Also a boycott? there has been attempt after attempt to boycott their games because of the ridiculous cash shop prices in all their games but thats the thing. People will continue to play regardless of security or cost if they really enjoy the games. I play neverwinter nightly myself and I get sick of astral diamonds being thrown down your throat for every cost in the game but there is little to nothing I can do about it because thats how these chinese ripoff companies operate. As long as they have people spending 100s of dollars and euro on lock box keys they can really care less if you leave or not, same with installing their Arc gateway to download and play all their games. Which btw you can just uninstall after you download the game and its problem solved.
  Stizzled

Tipster

Kill Your Heroes

1/08/14 2:36:08 AM#58
Originally posted by cronius77
what do you really expect OP this is not the first company in the asian free to play market to do this and it wont be the last. Chinese companies do not have to abide by our rules here and even if it is deemed illegal or spy wear the chances of anything out of china being stopped is next to none considering how shady their government is. Cryptic was bought out by PWI and there is nothing them , or yourself can do about it. Also a boycott? there has been attempt after attempt to boycott their games because of the ridiculous cash shop prices in all their games but thats the thing. People will continue to play regardless of security or cost if they really enjoy the games. I play neverwinter nightly myself and I get sick of astral diamonds being thrown down your throat for every cost in the game but there is little to nothing I can do about it because thats how these chinese ripoff companies operate. As long as they have people spending 100s of dollars and euro on lock box keys they can really care less if you leave or not, same with installing their Arc gateway to download and play all their games. Which btw you can just uninstall after you download the game and its problem solved.

So then what's the problem? You guys are acting as if they're some shady company trying to force spyware on to your computer for some malicious evil plan. In reality they're just a game company doing what a lot other game companies are doing and creating a unified download manager for all their games. A download manager that can be uninstalled with no problems and is therefore completely optional.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/08/14 3:24:13 AM#59
Originally posted by Stizzled
Originally posted by cronius77

So then what's the problem? You guys are acting as if they're some shady company trying to force spyware on to your computer for some malicious evil plan. In reality they're just a game company doing what a lot other game companies are doing and creating a unified download manager for all their games. A download manager that can be uninstalled with no problems and is therefore completely optional.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Not only that but you can install and play them through Steam too. I edited my post above to reflect that.

Curse you AquaScum!

fistorm

Novice Member

1/08/14 5:09:54 PM#60

Idk, if there wasn't an F rating with this company with the BBB for unresolved issues, I might actually trust the company more....   I have steam installed...  about all I'll ever trust with browser extenstions, unless your an A rated game company, I treat you as a third party browser extenstion (never trust and install them).

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search