Trending Games | Landmark | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,323 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,277
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Star Trek Online is a verry underrated game

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
48 posts found
  Instigator-Jones

Novice Member

5/29/13 12:37:47 AM#41
Originally posted by BMBender
Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
I just stared to play and my expectations were really low.

After a few hours I began to appreciate the amount of effort put into STO. It's definitely a good game to pickup and play. Seeing how its FTP now, it's easy to take a taste of what they've got to offer.

After reading posts here, however, I do have to agree with some of the negativity. I would rather have more choices so that its not a simple kill everything matchup, and the openness of the universe seems a little too closed. That said, I'll probably end up sending money to the cash shop simply because its been a blast so far, and I'd really like a new ship :P

I do take issue with the argument that without the ip it wouldn't be a success. That seems to go without saying; without the ST monicker it wouldn't be a game... Period. Claiming the games downfall without the ip is just plain retarded; the whole point of the game is to immerse the player in the ST universe. As it stands now STO does a fair job of doing just that, and it just seems to be getting better.

you seem to have missed the point, with a big IP like ST/SW one has two choices.  One can go big and use the IP as a  launch pad for your design vision.  Or conversely one may use that IP as a crutch and leech off the die-hard fans of the IP.  I'll leave it to others to  render verdict on the route this game took.

A game should always be evaluated by it's GAMEPLAY not what name you stick on it.

The argument in previous posts seemed to suggest that the game would be a "no go" if the ip wasn't attached. From my perspective, that kind of logic is simply wrong; there simply would not be a game. The point being that the game IS in existence simply because of the ST IP.

Now, judging a game by it's gameplay is an entirely different argument. Yes, there are some aspects of the gameplay that are lacking. That said, it's still an enjoyable experience. Whether this experience is tied to the loyalty to the  ip or whether it's tied to gameplay is arguable. For me... it's a little of both. 

You should now understand the point more clearly.

BMBender

Novice Member

5/29/13 1:27:53 AM#42
Originally posted by BMBender
I just stared to play and my expectations were really low.

After a few hours I began to appreciate the amount of effort put into STO. It's definitely a good game to pickup and play. Seeing how its FTP now, it's easy to take a taste of what they've got to offer.

After reading posts here, however, I do have to agree with some of the negativity. I would rather have more choices so that its not a simple kill everything matchup, and the openness of the universe seems a little too closed. That said, I'll probably end up sending money to the cash shop simply because its been a blast so far, and I'd really like a new ship :P

I do take issue with the argument that without the ip it wouldn't be a success. That seems to go without saying; without the ST monicker it wouldn't be a game... Period. Claiming the games downfall without the ip is just plain retarded; the whole point of the game is to immerse the player in the ST universe. As it stands now STO does a fair job of doing just that, and it just seems to be getting better.

you seem to have missed the point, with a big IP like ST/SW one has two choices.  One can go big and use the IP as a  launch pad for your design vision.  Or conversely one may use that IP as a crutch and leech off the die-hard fans of the IP.  I'll leave it to others to  render verdict on the route this game took.

A game should always be evaluated by it's GAMEPLAY not what name you stick on it.

The argument in previous posts seemed to suggest that the game would be a "no go" if the ip wasn't attached. From my perspective, that kind of logic is simply wrong; there simply would not be a game. The point being that the game IS in existence simply because of the ST IP.

Now, judging a game by it's gameplay is an entirely different argument. Yes, there are some aspects of the gameplay that are lacking. That said, it's still an enjoyable experience. Whether this experience is tied to the loyalty to the  ip or whether it's tied to gameplay is arguable. For me... it's a little of both. 

You should now understand the point more clearly.

Never said it was a bad game, merely not something that can be considered AAA quality if the greatest staying power the game derives is from the IP not the gameplay itself.  If all games needed an exiting IP just to exist there would actually be relatively few on the market.

bubaluba

Novice Member

7/03/13 5:00:09 AM#43
Yes it is now much better game than before. In fact is better from many better rated games
  buegur

Novice Member

7/03/13 1:35:07 PM#44

Of the games that released at the same time as STO or even later, I pick this one as being one of the better ones.  Many of the Star Trek fans were dissapointed that the games main focus was on a galatic war between the Klingons and the Federation (even though thta was clear long before release) and voted it down for that reason alone.  the list of niceities in this game are pretty long:

-Bridge Crews with skills that can be improved. Plus outfitted however you like.

- Duty Officer missions and the fact they can man positions and make a difference.

- Ships that can be outfitted in many different ways

- Player made Missions

- Many ways to level, Mission stories, Combat, PVP, Duty Officer missions, player made stories, forage/crafting/supplies type missions etc

- Fleet owned Starbases and embassies

- Light craft ships with their own missions.

- Best character customization I have seen at character creation.  Aliens are great to make.

- Varity of ways to get get ships including special events, Fleet ships, Drop box ships, Credit bought ships, Cryptic store bought ships, reward ships etc.

- Episode type content that is continually growing each season is rather nice also.

One doesn't have to repeat the same old thing in this game to progress as there is a ton of options that are lacking on other MMO's.  The game is fun and i have many options of what i want to do when i log on. Is there room for improvements?  Yes of course and one i would like to see is more reason to PVp other than obtaining gear.  Give us some objectives we can hold and effect the game a bit. :)

Logos1326

Apprentice Member

7/03/13 5:08:57 PM#45

I was a hard critic of STO after launch because it was grindy, boring, and completely unTrek. Have to say it has changed a lot. I still don't like the Fed-Klingon war, blown up Romulus timeline, but that's a JJ Abrams IP issue. The game has a lot more to do now, pretty much everything bueger said, plus there are 3 factions. Klingons finally got some early missions to level with, Romulans are in the game. Compared to my first go around at launch, the difference is night and day. STO is a solid game especially for PvE types. Still room for improvement but you can say that about anything.

redcapp

Novice Member

7/04/13 1:31:22 AM#46
Originally posted by apanz3r

So basically startrek online is the last Mohican of space ship mmos. If it fails we can go back to elves and orcs....

LOL.  Seriously?

simplius

Novice Member

7/06/13 8:59:58 AM#47

they still havent done anything to  the teleport skirt animation

im preying, that theyre keeping it as a feature

Doogiehowser

Apprentice Member

7/06/13 9:02:40 AM#48
Originally posted by redcapp
Originally posted by apanz3r

So basically startrek online is the last Mohican of space ship mmos. If it fails we can go back to elves and orcs....

LOL.  Seriously?

I think he never heard of this game called Eve Online.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search