Trending Games | ArcheAge | Diablo 3 | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,935 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,215,563
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
47 posts found
  Torik

Elite Member

6/17/13 12:20:23 PM#41
Originally posted by 7imelord

The only thing you should spend money on would be expanding your duty officers so you can unlock more items and possibly unlocking more slots for bank and inventory space. Yeah, there is always that ship you will want and may even buy it, but other than that, dont go crazy and buy every ship. You gotta use your brain and your pocket wisely in this game, because PWE knows how to hook you.

That's exactly what I did.  I put $10 into the game and expanded my inventory and bank.  Duty officer expansion is next on the list but I am not slamming at the basic cap just yet.

From the start I knew that subscriptions to this are not worth it and opted to go an see how far not paying would get me.  I was impressed enough that I gladly put in a bit of money for basic conveniences that I could have played without if I wanted to. 

It will be interesting to see how much longer the game can keep me interested without requiring me to spend a lot.  Frankly, I see it as a challenge to figure out the best way to get gear without paying for it directly. 

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

6/17/13 12:34:26 PM#42

I always found it a big no-no that they don't give you a tier 5 ship token or something if u sub.  But as has been said before, liftime or free for sto don't bother with monthly.

To get the tier 5's without paying it's the dilithium grind(you're capped at 8k per day so check the dilithium exchange and work out how long that'll take), the fleet credit grind(you'll need to join a fleet if you haven't figured it out) or wait until they give you a freebie during an event(although these aren't usually worth the wait).  Other than that you can grind ec's for lockbox key and hope you get lucky.

Forgot to add that you can also earn some zen by filling out polls/offers etc from the pwe website.

Rohn

Apprentice Member

6/17/13 1:50:42 PM#43
Originally posted by Karahandras

I always found it a big no-no that they don't give you a tier 5 ship token or something if u sub.  But as has been said before, liftime or free for sto don't bother with monthly.

To get the tier 5's without paying it's the dilithium grind(you're capped at 8k per day so check the dilithium exchange and work out how long that'll take), the fleet credit grind(you'll need to join a fleet if you haven't figured it out) or wait until they give you a freebie during an event(although these aren't usually worth the wait).  Other than that you can grind ec's for lockbox key and hope you get lucky.

Forgot to add that you can also earn some zen by filling out polls/offers etc from the pwe website.

Or work up ECs and buy the ships directly off the exchange - no need for keys.

Or work up dil to exchange for Zen, and buy from the store.

Couple of other options.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Squeak69

Novice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

6/17/13 4:32:10 PM#44
Originally posted by Rohn

Couple of other options.

so the averae rte is 125-150 dill per zen on a good day, you can get 8000 dil per days so that's between 60 nd 64 en per day give or take. and lets say the ship you want is lets go with a cheap one 1500, that's 24 days of maxing out dil each day and getting lucky on the dil zen exchange, ( a 2500 ship would be 39days ) while this is doable, to be honest most people are going to look at it this way I can spend what takes me 2-3 hour to make at work or I can tunr my fun time into work for 3-5 weeks

and this ladies and gentle men is the trap of F2P, but meh whatever I cant complain I had a LTsub in star trek back before its went F2P so I don't deal with any of this crap

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

6/17/13 4:40:30 PM#45
Originally posted by lordstarwolf

So I just hit 50... expecting a new world to open up...

Then I ran into a brick wall named ZEN.  

I had found the game enjoyable when I started, and subbed after 20 hours of gameplay. I then played furiously for another 60 hours, and all the while, though cognizant  of the C-Store, I hadn't really looked into it... after all, I was a monthly subscriber, not a F2P leech.   Then,  after hitting 50, I found I had no new ship options other than to purchase Zen.   This and of itself wouldn't be a problem, however after looking into it, the zen prices seem ridiculous to me. 

I'll freely admit, I'm new to the F2P genre (having been a player of SWTOR prior to it becoming F2P, then STO.  My issue is that  I see no way to advance for monthly subscribers with a pittance of a stipend of 500 zen.  There is no "generic" vice admiral equivilent ship that I can see.  Are there any comparable ships available through in-game means?   I don't see the harm in paying for convenience or "bling"  but I don't see ships available on the exchange or as rewards as far as I can tell without paying 25 bucks or more a ship.

Am I missing something here?  I've got no issues paying a monthly subscription for a service, but BIG issues paying real money for pixels.

That sounds wonky... Monthly sub for pixels, or free to play and maybe spend what you would on a  monthly sub to obtain the ship. 6 one half dozen or the other...

Rohn

Apprentice Member

6/17/13 7:07:40 PM#46
Originally posted by Squeak69

Couple of other options.

so the averae rte is 125-150 dill per zen on a good day, you can get 8000 dil per days so that's between 60 nd 64 en per day give or take. and lets say the ship you want is lets go with a cheap one 1500, that's 24 days of maxing out dil each day and getting lucky on the dil zen exchange, ( a 2500 ship would be 39days ) while this is doable, to be honest most people are going to look at it this way I can spend what takes me 2-3 hour to make at work or I can tunr my fun time into work for 3-5 weeks

and this ladies and gentle men is the trap of F2P, but meh whatever I cant complain I had a LTsub in star trek back before its went F2P so I don't deal with any of this crap

It is doable, but I agree that many people are not going to want to wait, and will drop the relatively small amount to get things faster.

And, I have no problem with this given the model.  It's a business.

There are those few that are absolutely certain that their entertainment should be 100% free, and that they should be able to acquire things in any game almost instantly.  The transactions in these games are not nearly the hellish nightmare they attempt to paint.

The bottom line is that almost everything in this game can be gotten for free if a player is hell bent on never paying a dime.  It's going to take more time, however, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

6/18/13 12:35:51 PM#47
Originally posted by Squeak69

Couple of other options.

tier 5 ships start at 2k and you'll probably want a borg bridge officer aswell so min of 2.5k(likely 3k).  Or you could pay the equivalent of 3 months sub.  Also don't forget this is per character.

I went for the dilithium(at the time was under 100 dil per zen) however once I got it I found there wasn't much to do with the thing, unless I really wanted to grind the same few instances for the next 6 months which imo is an even bigger problem.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search