Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,378 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,453
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » Anything Star Trek » Review: Star Trek Into Darkness (movie)

13 posts found
  Silverdagger

Advanced Member

OP  5/21/13 12:09:03 AM#1

JJ Abram's second Star Trek film came out last week (in the US) and I watched it over the weekend.  JJ eased back on the lens flare for this film, which is a blessing.  The film is a bit of a mess (recycling stories from other Trek films & TOS, throwing it in a blender and serving it up as something new).  Having said that though, it is a fun space adventure that will appeal to most any sci-fi fan.  The acting is good, the action is entertaining and the graphics look great.  This isn't an episode of TNG though; character development is thin and logic takes a back seat to action.  If you can afford to watch the film in 3D IMAX, it is worth it. 

While the main characters' acting was well done, the story was thin and for all the hype about Alice Eve being in the film, her role was vastly under-developed.  She got a lot of press over a single shot in which she appears in bra & panties.  The scene didn't make any sense and the only reason I expect it didn't get cut was for marketing reasons. 

Score: 8/10

Flex1

Novice Member

“Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.”The Hausa of Nigeria

5/21/13 12:14:18 AM#2

I would say the scene wasn't cut to feed the captains hunger for good looking women. I thought that was obvious, make him look like the playboy. Same reason the twins or two girls scene wasn't taken out either.

What did you expect with the story? We are in a supposed new universe, everything from the old movies is up for the taking. Alternate past universe so Voyager, D9, TNG, original are up for the grabs.

And yeah I counted it a blessing we didn't get to experience lens flare part 2. And this movies better work on getting more fame for Star Trek so they can work on a new series.

flizzer

Hard Core Member

5/21/13 12:21:54 AM#3
Another Star Trek series?  Really?  I figured we were done with that for at least a few lifetimes. Is there much interest in it anymore?
  Silverdagger

Advanced Member

OP  5/24/13 12:12:12 AM#4
Originally posted by Flex1

I would say the scene wasn't cut to feed the captains hunger for good looking women. I thought that was obvious, make him look like the playboy. Same reason the twins or two girls scene wasn't taken out either.

What did you expect with the story? We are in a supposed new universe, everything from the old movies is up for the taking. Alternate past universe so Voyager, D9, TNG, original are up for the grabs.

The bed scene was more than enough to cover the idea that Kirk is a playboy.  The scene with Alice didn't make sense because there was no reason for her to be stripping down.  Kirk wasn't making any advances nor did he throughout the film.  There wasn't any impending issue that demanded she change clothes at that moment, and if she hadn't been coaxing him to look he wouldn't have.  I'm trying not to go into details for the sake of people who haven't seen the film, but I feel the story would have been much better without her character. 

I'll include some excerpts from Wired magazine's excellent review of the film to back up my position.  Refer to the link at the end if you want to view the article in its entirety.

"The problem isn’t that Darkness tried to pull together a single coherent story using pieces from previous Trek incarnations. The problem is that it pulled almost arbitrarily from each, a Mad-Lib of allusions with no real attention to the underlying machinery that makes them tick. It’s the Silent Hill: Homecoming of Trek film: loads of potential that falls short because in the rush to recreate the window dressings, no one noticed the actual, substantial structure that originally supported them. The result is a mishmash of story fragments that don’t really fit together, dubious causality, a plot driven by crises that never quite stand up to scrutiny–and, of course, [Alice Eve's character]."

"[...] has all the personality of a houseplant. She doesn’t do anything except get used—unsuccessfully—as a bargaining chip. Her vaunted expertise proves nigh useless, because, ladies, we all know that real validation comes with a lingering glimpse from Kirk (and a longer one from the camera) as you strip down to your underwear on a shuttle in a scene that’s obviously supposed to be saucy and charming, but mostly just ends up stupid and awkward and sad. (And, as even Star Trek Into Darkness writer Damon Lindelof admitted yesterday, totally gratuitous.)"

"The old Trek movies weren’t flawless, but they were brave. I’d trade the new films’ pitch-perfect casting, epic battles, super cool uniforms and nostalgic call-backs for even a hint of that audacity–for the new Trek to do what Trek has always done best: seek out brave new worlds and boldly go where no one–not even Star Trek–had gone before."

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/star-trek-into-darkness-carol-marcus/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Fentertainment+%28Wired%3A+%28Section%29+Entertainment%29

ElRenmazuo

Hard Core Member

5/24/13 12:15:33 AM#5
Originally posted by flizzer
Another Star Trek series?  Really?  I figured we were done with that for at least a few lifetimes. Is there much interest in it anymore?

Well it isnt for you its for the new generation of viewers...

https://33.media.tumblr.com/262c40940b3181ade1001120dd379aaa/tumblr_nfrzn853rR1rz64nto6_r1_400.gif

Silverdagger

Advanced Member

OP  5/24/13 2:18:51 AM#6

If Paramount had greenlighted Shatner, Frakes, Spinner or any of the others who pitched new series and film ideas over the years - we'd be immersed in Trek.  Paramont turned them all down because they feared over-saturation of the Trek brand, yet they let JJ piss on everything that was Trek and spew out something that is not.  Some of the recent pitches for new tv shows are listed below.

08-2011 - "David Foster, of 1947 Entertainment, was planning a new series designed to take Star Trek back to its “original series roots.” He’s said the new show will take in all the usual Roddenberry trappings – Klingons, Vulcans and Ferengi, for example – but will feature a much younger cast.  “The series concept is fully developed, subject to change of course,” Foster told Trek Web, “with a solid 5-7 year series plan, pilot script and a conceptualized finale that intends to define Star Trek for generations.”  Foster’s series will take place after the Voyager series of a few years back, and won’t conflict with JJ Abrams’ big-screen take on the Star Trek mythos, since it’s set in a different timeline.  [No news but Paramount likely killed the idea while JJ was their money-maker].

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek/20931/is-a-new-star-trek-tv-series-in-development

In 2012 JJ was trying to get a new tv series based on his vision of Star Trek, complete with a new comic book series and merchandising.  Problem was that the Star Trek franchise is owned by two companies; Paramount which owns movie rights and CBS which owns TV and merchandising.  Paramount was excited to have JJ do his thing, while CBS was playing coy while pumping out TOS merchandise when JJ wanted them to turn out Darkness swag.  He couldn't get CBS to give up the rights and he didn't like dealing with two competing companies, so he moved on to Disney's Star Wars.  

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/16/how-rights-issues-killed-a-new-star-trek-tv-show

2012 - Bryan Fuller wanted to pitch a new tv Trek series but had to get blessings of both Paramount and JJ.  Now that Darkness is done, it may happen.  Although if JJ wants to direct he may not have time to spare until after Star Wars.  Bryan has mentioned that he would like to cast Angela Bassett as the captain in his series.

http://screenrant.com/bryan-fuller-new-star-trek-tv-series-yman-166584/

redcapp

Novice Member

5/24/13 2:23:37 AM#7

I really enjoy these new films for what they are.  A contemporary take on Star Trek.  They're different, but enjoyable.  Hope they continue to produce them.

The graphics were great.  Saw it in IMAX, and it was definitely a fun experience.

The lens flare is still lulzy though.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

5/24/13 2:24:05 AM#8

I really disliked the first one as it was such a terrible mess. Would probably rate that one 4/10. A shame since I felt the cast was pretty good.

How would you rate Into Darkness compared to the previous film?

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

flizzer

Hard Core Member

5/24/13 2:27:15 AM#9
Originally posted by tkreep

Well it isnt for you its for the new generation of viewers...

Sometimes I think I forget that I am actually old at this point.

Silverdagger

Advanced Member

OP  5/24/13 3:31:32 AM#10
Originally posted by Axxar

I really disliked the first one as it was such a terrible mess. Would probably rate that one 4/10. A shame since I felt the cast was pretty good.

How would you rate Into Darkness compared to the previous film?

In your case I'd suggest renting it to minimize wasting your time and money.  Darkness is a 3D action flick.  The acting is better, but the script is light on substance.  Story is predictable.  If you rated the 1st film a 4, you will likely rate this one the same.  It does some things better and others worse.  It is worth viewing but if you are after an original story, Darkness isn't for you.

Axxar

Hard Core Member

"See how I reward those who fail me!"

5/24/13 6:47:11 PM#11
Thanks for the heads up.

"Tiny clown, he got wet. I was talking to a psychic and I can't sleep in the ozone. There are too many different peanuts, looking sad.

User Deleted
5/24/13 6:58:08 PM#12

Just saw the movie this afternoon and enjoyed it.  

If someone goes in with the intention of analyzing the hell out of everything to compare and contrast with the original Star Trek characters and movies, they will probably not like it.

If you go in looking for a fun, sci-fi movie that has some familiar characters and themes, you'll really enjoy it.

tman5

Apprentice Member

6/14/13 2:36:59 PM#13
It would be nice if JJ had an knowledge of Star Trek beyond that one film he saw when he was 16, evesdropped nerd conversations at Comic Con and a bunch of wiki references.