Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,692 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,082
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » New KDF content isn't "new"

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
60 posts found
  Cacaphony

Tipster

5/17/13 6:18:49 PM#41

Originally posted by MadDemon64

Originally posted by Valoreah  

Originally posted by MadDemon64 No I am not.  I have never been able.  I have tried multiple times, and it has never worked. Ever. Afraid you are on your own here if you want to prove yourself correct.
    There's really no difference between logging on to Tribble or Holodeck. It's the same launcher. Just select Tribble from the server list, patch it up and log in. You can also patch up NW, CO or STO from the launcher... unless you really don't play STO or any Cryptic games.
I have tried that in the past, and it has never let me access the test servers.  I seriously don't know why.

Hmm. Don't know why you can't access Tribble. I know that the Redshirt server goes away and comes back at times.

Maybe this thread will help you? Sorry if you already knew the info in the thread. Not sure how to help. Its from early 2012 so the info is probably out of date, but thats really the only bit of info I could find that addresses it.

Cacaphony

Tipster

5/17/13 6:32:49 PM#42

I played the new Klingon tutorial and first few levels. I did appreciate how it played out. The game play has that "samey" feeling, but I suppose that I would get that feeling because the combat engine is the same since last I played. I feel that Cryptic is changing aspects of Klingon content/missions after the tutorial to be varied from their Federation counterparts at times, and not necessarily reinventing the wheel.

I do not suspect we will receive overly different/varied content among the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan factions. I suppose I am used to that notion now. I was hoping for a widely varied experience with each respective faction, given their contrasts and different values, societal differences, and military cultures and practices.

What I am talking about is different mission types with varied objectives and different ways to go about solving and completing those missions that are respective to each race. Romulans would use calculating and devious tactics, while the Federation would use diplomacy and but fight when they need to, and the Klingons would just be Klingons.

Am I being unreasonable or displaying unrealistic wants from this game? Do you think that in time, what I have described may eventually be the case?

MadDemon64

Advanced Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

5/18/13 11:07:40 AM#43
Originally posted by Cacaphony

Originally posted by MadDemon64 No I am not.  I have never been able.  I have tried multiple times, and it has never worked. Ever. Afraid you are on your own here if you want to prove yourself correct.
    There's really no difference between logging on to Tribble or Holodeck. It's the same launcher. Just select Tribble from the server list, patch it up and log in. You can also patch up NW, CO or STO from the launcher... unless you really don't play STO or any Cryptic games.
I have tried that in the past, and it has never let me access the test servers.  I seriously don't know why.

Hmm. Don't know why you can't access Tribble. I know that the Redshirt server goes away and comes back at times.

Maybe this thread will help you? Sorry if you already knew the info in the thread. Not sure how to help. Its from early 2012 so the info is probably out of date, but thats really the only bit of info I could find that addresses it.

If I read the thread correctly, I need to be a subscribing member to access the test server Tribble, which now makes me highly doubt the statements of several people on this thread even more than I previously did.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Cacaphony

Tipster

5/18/13 1:44:47 PM#44

Hmm. Don't know why you can't access Tribble. I know that the Redshirt server goes away and comes back at times. Maybe this thread will help you? Sorry if you already knew the info in the thread. Not sure how to help. Its from early 2012 so the info is probably out of date, but thats really the only bit of info I could find that addresses it.
If I read the thread correctly, I need to be a subscribing member to access the test server Tribble, which now makes me highly doubt the statements of several people on this thread even more than I previously did.

Well, I am not subbed and can access Tribble. I believe at one time you had to be subbed to access tribble, but not now. I was thinking that
this post here may apply to your problem, but just wasnt sure. Like I said, it was a thread from early 2012 with info that is possibly out-of-date, but was the only info I could find regarding the matter.

GR3NDEL

Novice Member

5/18/13 5:19:46 PM#45

Here's a link to the latest Dev Blog concerning the KDF - Clicky Here!

It looks like the new KDF content is going to be a mixture of brand new content and yes, no doubt there will be 'recycled' content as well.  Ultimately it's a matter of whether the 'recycled' content is enjoyable and fun to play, and that's very subjective.  Some will love it, some won't.  /shrug

Valoreah

Apprentice Member

OP  5/20/13 4:12:23 PM#46

I've a lifetime subscription to STO and CO. Feel free to verify this by looking up my forum title on the official STO forums. I use the same username there.

apanz3r

Novice Member

5/22/13 7:03:03 PM#47

Just recycled Federation content....  I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it looks like Cryptic is staying true to form.  I have a feeling the "new" Romulan content will mostly be recycled Federation missions as well.  

LoR is exciting me less and less the more I read about it.

I take any day this "recycled" content to mindless quests from other mmos like go north kill 5 pigs ....

Sure original/new content is better but recycling carefully some stuff is fine as well.

While you level up in STO you feel like enjoying playing . In other games is like "whatever it takes" to get to endgame.

Elikal

Spotlight Poster

“No path is darker then when your eyes are shut.” -Flemeth

5/29/13 1:01:30 PM#48
Just for the record, at least so far (Level 33) all Fed-Romulan content is entirely new.

A forum is a place where people can discuss about different opinions. So what I don't get is, how people react offended when they come to a forum and then find... well different opinions. If a different opinion offends you, what are you even doing here?

GR3NDEL

Novice Member

5/29/13 5:19:11 PM#49

I played the new Klingon tutorial and first few levels. I did appreciate how it played out. The game play has that "samey" feeling, but I suppose that I would get that feeling because the combat engine is the same since last I played. I feel that Cryptic is changing aspects of Klingon content/missions after the tutorial to be varied from their Federation counterparts at times, and not necessarily reinventing the wheel.

I do not suspect we will receive overly different/varied content among the Federation, Klingon, and Romulan factions. I suppose I am used to that notion now. I was hoping for a widely varied experience with each respective faction, given their contrasts and different values, societal differences, and military cultures and practices.

What I am talking about is different mission types with varied objectives and different ways to go about solving and completing those missions that are respective to each race. Romulans would use calculating and devious tactics, while the Federation would use diplomacy and but fight when they need to, and the Klingons would just be Klingons.

Am I being unreasonable or displaying unrealistic wants from this game? Do you think that in time, what I have described may eventually be the case?

No, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a unique gaming experience based on each faction's unique 'flavor' - in fact, I'm sure that most players want that as well.  Now, I can't play STO because I don't have Broadband internet where I live so you can take this advice or leave it, but for more distinctive missions I'd suggest looking into the Foundry.  There are players who have been rabid fans of each of the three factions for years, if not decades that are writing story arcs that are truly spectacular, and showcase each faction's unique 'flavor' very well, and even adds to established canon in interesting and fun ways.

There's also been talk by the developers of taking some of these highly-rated missions and incorporating them into the actual game content - which would go a long way toward answering the call for more 'flavor' in the content.  I hope that comes to pass.

I've been a fan of Star Trek since the late 70's, and if I could play STO I'd be pouring tons of effort into creating story arcs that reflect the mindsets of the three factions - the Romulans, in particular, since I've been a huge fan of them since Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels.

Valoreah

Apprentice Member

OP  5/29/13 5:39:18 PM#50
Originally posted by Elikal
Just for the record, at least so far (Level 33) all Fed-Romulan content is entirely new.

That's because the Romulan content is new.  Cryptic added the Romulan "fraction" with the expansion. ;)

CthulhuPuffs

Novice Member

Will consume your soul, yet stay crunchy in milk

5/29/13 5:44:38 PM#51

Not surprising.

I quit STO soon after release when

1- It became clear that this was just CoX in a Star Trek skin

and

2- The Klingon "Faction" was always going to be a Fat Ginger Kid to Cryptic

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

simplius

Novice Member

6/09/13 12:17:32 PM#52

only about 6-8 hours really new gameplay for the klingons

the rest is recycled from the fed side

but the romulan side has lots of new stuff ,roughly to level 30

not to mention all the other stuff they added,,Warp cores, respecing traits

its not perfect, but at least the Price is reasonable

AG-Vuk

Hard Core Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

6/09/13 12:29:21 PM#53
Originally posted by simplius

Far from it. I'll direct you to this conversation. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5771624/Just-hit-50.html#5771624 Also I hardly consider even improving. Reskinning CO and then grafting in a extremely poor version of  SFC III as your combat space model, made this a poor start that's just not salvageable. Especially considering the initial design decisions and engine.

MadDemon64

Advanced Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

6/09/13 12:31:26 PM#54
Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Not surprising.

and

I quit after reading the "just CoX in a Star Trek skin".

Mondo80

Advanced Member

6/09/13 12:36:08 PM#55

Its better now than it was at release, you can play any faction from lvl 1 and at least the space combat isn't as boring as EVE. 

It doesn't matter what you guy say on this site, if you're here then you're not in the game ruining it for everyone else wit your bad attitudes.

CthulhuPuffs

Novice Member

Will consume your soul, yet stay crunchy in milk

6/09/13 12:39:09 PM#56

Not surprising.

and

And yet you cared enough to comment

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

MadDemon64

Advanced Member

6/09/13 12:41:25 PM#57
Originally posted by Mondo80

Its better now than it was at release, you can play any faction from lvl 1 and at least the space combat isn't as boring as EVE. 

It doesn't matter what you guy say on this site, if you're here then you're not in the game ruining it for everyone else wit your bad attitudes.

Thank you for pointing this out.  Couldn't be more true (well, except for the fact that they can prevent people from playing a game that they might like and tricking them into not giving it a shot, but that probably deserves its own topic).

Either way

simplius

Novice Member

6/10/13 5:03:17 AM#58

Not surprising.

and

And yet you cared enough to comment

so did you

CoX was a great game, because it supported a HUGE variety of players

from the most casual , to the ultra hardcores,,we could have lots of fun anyway

STO is clearly trying to do the same, but the hardcore crowd  has moved on to other games

and i doubt, that they will return

simplius

Novice Member

6/10/13 5:16:23 AM#59
Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Far from it. I'll direct you to this conversation. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5771624/Just-hit-50.html#5771624 Also I hardly consider even improving. Reskinning CO and then grafting in a extremely poor version of  SFC III as your combat space model, made this a poor start that's just not salvageable. Especially considering the initial design decisions and engine.

yup,,they lost a customer

newsflash,,mmos lose players on a daily basis

but the successful mmos get new players  at a faster rate

yes, STO launched with half a game,,and it was even the buggy part of it

the first subscribers actually paid them, to do the beta test on the live servers

naturally, they fell flat on their face, and went F2P/P2W

the cashshop has paid for all  new content, and improvements

i can play all the new content, without paying a dime,,including a new race

if you think, thats a bad deal,,you shouldnt buy so many Things in their cashshop

Cacaphony

Tipster

6/11/13 11:19:59 AM#60

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Originally posted by simplius its not perfect, but at least the Price is reasonable
yup,,they lost a customer

newsflash,,mmos lose players on a daily basis

but the successful mmos get new players  at a faster rate

yes, STO launched with half a game,,and it was even the buggy part of it

the first subscribers actually paid them, to do the beta test on the live servers

naturally, they fell flat on their face, and went F2P/P2W

the cashshop has paid for all  new content, and improvements

i can play all the new content, without paying a dime,,including a new race

if you think, thats a bad deal,,you shouldnt buy so many Things in their cashshop

As much as I dislike the cash shop, I have to agree with you in that the cash shop has most likely been the lion-share of earning/income. I cant back that up though, but why else would they keep putting 25 dollar ships in there if it weren't?

There are still things about this game I don't necessarily care for, but I am done gnashing my teeth about them.

I will just log in, play what I like to do and browse the shop at times to see if there is anything that interests me. The game is what it is, and I look forward to seeing what it becomes.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search