Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,355 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,522
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » For People Who Are Not Fans?

10 posts found
  flizzer

Elite Member

OP  5/24/13 4:44:10 PM#1
I don't dislike Star Trek; I just don't consider myself a fan.  Ive never played a space MMO or single player game either.  So my question is:  For someone who is not a big Trekkie or fan, how is this game?   I love games with exploration and managing my character and adjusting stats. I don't consider myself a PvP type player but occasionally poke my head in.  I know this game on launch received a lot of criticism but lately I've been hearing good things about it, and there is the expansion now.  Ive seen some videos to intrigue me at this point. I know it is free to play and it is easy enough to say download and try it, but I come to this site for opinions of other gamers.  Anyone not a fan like me and similar to my play style who finds this fun?
  OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

5/24/13 4:47:49 PM#2
Not being a fan of Star Trek is a basic requirement to enjoy this game.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

5/24/13 4:48:56 PM#3
Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

This.

flizzer

Elite Member

OP  5/24/13 4:50:51 PM#4
NIce, That made my day. 
  Po_gg

Elite Member

5/24/13 5:01:47 PM#5
Originally posted by Karahandras

This.

I like both Trek and STO, and I'd really love to say the opposite, but... that line has some truth :)

I think without any Trek background you can enjoy STO, with decent knowledge of it you can really enjoy STO, and if you're a full-blown Trekkie then there's a moderate chance you'll hate it :)

Edit: "managing my character and adjusting stats" - then you'll like STO, the game is all about character and ship and crew management and training, both on skills and in gear. There's much freedom in it, at first it can be even daunting (I guess with LoR and the new trait system they made it a bit easier).

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

5/24/13 5:57:14 PM#6
Originally posted by flizzer
I don't dislike Star Trek; I just don't consider myself a fan.  Ive never played a space MMO or single player game either.  So my question is:  For someone who is not a big Trekkie or fan, how is this game?   I love games with exploration There's no real exploration in sto and managing my character and adjusting stats  if u sub you get free resets may be only real way you'll be able to manage skills without them feeling limited. I don't consider myself a PvP type player but occasionally poke my head in  PVP is arena based and hugely unbalanced mostly done for the dilithium rewards which you get win or lose.  I know this game on launch received a lot of criticism but lately I've been hearing good things about it, and there is the expansion now not that much of an expansion tbh, but free.  Ive seen some videos to intrigue me at this point. I know it is free to play and it is easy enough to say download and try it, but I come to this site for opinions of other gamers.  Anyone not a fan like me and similar to my play style who finds this fun?

Thought I'd expand a bit.  The story driven part of sto should last you 2-4 weeks depending on how much you play and this is probably the best part of the game and you'll certainly hit max level before completing this.  You'll probably get more out of this part if you're an sto fan, but still worth a try.  FYI the other faction story content is mostly a re-use of the federation content with a couple of different missions at the beginning and i think the feds still have more if this helps in picking a faction and the new romulans are only a pretend faction needing to pick fed/klink at lvl 10.  After the story stuff you'll do the instance grind.  This'll typically be repeating the same half dozen instances for dilithium first and then romulan/omega marks(and fleet marks if u join a fleet) this can easily take 6 months.  After that nothing really.

I'd suggest you download and try for yourself.  Always said that sto is a poor console version of starfleet command, but since I guess you don't know what that refers to it may work in your favour.

User Deleted
5/24/13 9:33:04 PM#7
Originally posted by flizzer
I don't dislike Star Trek; I just don't consider myself a fan.  Ive never played a space MMO or single player game either.  So my question is:  For someone who is not a big Trekkie or fan, how is this game?   I love games with exploration and managing my character and adjusting stats. I don't consider myself a PvP type player but occasionally poke my head in.  I know this game on launch received a lot of criticism but lately I've been hearing good things about it, and there is the expansion now.  Ive seen some videos to intrigue me at this point. I know it is free to play and it is easy enough to say download and try it, but I come to this site for opinions of other gamers.  Anyone not a fan like me and similar to my play style who finds this fun?

A potential big selling point is that right now it is the only game on the market that lets you both fly space ships and explore ground locations in a science fiction environment with one client. It has a great character, crew, and moderate ship customization system. It’s a Trek theme park that visits every TV show era in the mission chains (of which a few are really good and many mediocre) with only a candid nod toward Enterprise. There is a decent amount of stuff to do as long as you join a fleet (guild.)

Issues are that the game is very casual with shallow PVE and enemies with bad AI. This has lead to the game becoming a DPS race where support abilities and classes (engineers and science) are frowned upon in space but still valued on the ground where they dish out more than tactical officers by using turrets and radiation fields. Some activities are more polished than others and there are still bugs in the exploration system I reported on launch day. Crafting is a bit lame with very limited payoff.

It’s become like many PWE games. There is a lot of grind end game all focused around fleet activities (guild) for group and personal progression. The cash shop and lock boxes make it feel very pay to win particularly in PVP. I call it pay to progress as at the end you will want to buy a cash shop ship and other stuff. With the demands for dilithium (a game currency) in fleets and for gear you likely will not be able to get the best stuff in a reasonable time frame without paying for it with real money.

Is it unreasonable? IDK. It’s not like Allods for example but they are charging just enough that I feel gouged if not truly ripped off. Look over the cash shop and think of 100 zen as being a dollar or euro and make your own mind up on the pricing. I am not sure what dilithium is trading for right now in game as its required for some gear and is allowed to be traded for cash shop currency between players.

PVP is very unpopular and kind of a mess balance wise. You throw enough money at cash shop consoles and lock box ships or fleet gear and no one will be able to compete. I’d not take it very seriously or think of it as an esport. It really needs a revamp.

Is it a fun game? I have had fun with it on more than one play through since launch. By play through I mean leveling a character to cap. If you know what you are doing, you can level a character in 18 hours over a three day weekend.

Special Task Forces (STFs) are kind of small group raids for dilithium, store tokens, and loot. Their is something off or counter intuitive in the way Cryptic put together some of these end game runs that has lead to more bull crap and anger than in any other game I have played. Before you start playing them and some of the other end game planet missions find a good fleet to do it with and save yourself the horror of an STO pug gone wrong. That way they can be fun rather than shit spats.

Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

5/25/13 3:57:10 AM#8

agreed here !

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

5/26/13 10:39:23 AM#9
Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

agreed here !

I'm tempted to agree to a point , but I enjoy good flight sims and space combat games. Frankly as a space combat game this game sucks, as a ground combat game this game sucks. Based on those criteria , this game sucks. As a trek fan , I liked the stories. The Foundry actually adds more Trek aspect then Cryptic. That being said, a lot is still very wrong with the game from Trek standpoint. Though not exactly sure how they could make more Trek like for the purist. Exploration and investigation only lends itself so far as gameplay and would get boring pretty fast, and appeal would be limited.

simplius

Novice Member

6/07/13 6:20:28 PM#10

a true trek game would be sandbox

and sandbox  is only good for niche games

seeing how much they have added since F2P, i would say their themepark is recovering

now we have the game, we should have had from launch