Trending Games | Moonrise | Elder Scrolls Online | Pirate101 | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,566 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,941
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Legacy of Romulus

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
55 posts found
  mrrshann618

Advanced Member

4/21/13 8:09:54 PM#41
Originally posted by Roin
Originally posted by mrrshann618

REALLY bummed that Romulans are not their own faction. It seems like a slap in the face that they are not even considered a power in any right instead of "2nd class" citizens.

almost purchased the expansions, until I found out that they are a half attempt at bringing them into the game.

You were going to purchase a free expansion?

I meant the "pre-order packs"

Starter pack $20

T'Varo Warbird Retrofit, T'Varo Light Warbird, Liberated Borg Reman Bridge Officer, Title: Survivor of Romulus

Legacy pack $125

Tons of more stuff. As far as I can tell these ships do not unlock by simply choosing romulan. as it states "for all romulan repulbic characters on account"

SO YES, if I want to actually play a romulan I have to pay for the expansion. If I simply want a Romulan character I would have just stayed with my "alien done as romulan" character which I could have done on either faction.

SOOOOO

Adding romulans as is isn't really anything other than a name unless you actually pay for "all the expanded content"

Sevenstar61

Hard Core Member

"But it was so artistically done..." - Grand Admiral Thrawn's final words

4/21/13 8:20:06 PM#42

Was trying to give a shot for this game for the forth time today...Got excited about Romulan Warbirds - love these starships.

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo ( I meant for the ship I wanted I would have to pay $125 - the starter pack's price is ok, but ships suck)

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

User Deleted
4/21/13 8:35:59 PM#43
Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Was trying to give a shot for this game for the forth time today...Got excited about Romulan Warbirds - love these starships.

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo

That's kind of it and the bottom line isn't it? This game has the image of many things I really want in an MMO. I got a crew, a big ship I can  walk around in, I got space battles, I got ground assaults, I can fly amongst the stars and explore strange new worlds... But it is all so shallowly done as to be worth little or nothing dollar wise. Game has always been my heart breaker. An image of what i wanted.  I swear I wish I could pay a developer to make a game with an original IP and some of these features fully fleshed out with a big galaxy to explore., Don't let me dissuade anyone from giving it a play through though. I've enjoyed playing through it a time or two just be prepared for a crash ending filled with grind and little to make it worth while for more than a month.

Po_gg

Elite Member

4/22/13 1:24:02 AM#44
Originally posted by mrrshann618

Legacy pack $125

Tons of more stuff. As far as I can tell these ships do not unlock by simply choosing romulan. as it states "for all romulan repulbic characters on account"

SO YES, if I want to actually play a romulan I have to pay for the expansion. If I simply want a Romulan character I would have just stayed with my "alien done as romulan" character which I could have done on either faction.

and

But it's expensive to get it and game is not worth it imo ( I meant for the ship I wanted I would have to pay $125 - the starter pack's price is ok, but ships suck)

I hope you don't mind to correct you, but the expansion is free and you don't have to buy neither of the packs. (I think I wrote earlier, that unless someone is really loves Romulans and wants to have more than 2 captains, the packs not worth it)

And while mrrshann618's right that those ships will be Store-only ships, those are just the retrofit versions of the "normal" ships you get during every promotion (leveling). True, retrofitted ones are slightly better, but unless you want heavily competitve endgame play you'll be just fine with the normal ships.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=858671  here are the Warbirds you get free during the leveling process.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=869551 here are the retrofitted ones and more details about the differences (retrofitted D'deridex looks awesome :) just kidding).

Edit: "romulan-like aliens" won't have an own storyline, home, officers and ships.

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

4/22/13 12:36:15 PM#45
Originally posted by Po_gg
Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I am not sure the game would have stayed afloat if they hadn’t adopted the business model they did from lock boxes to everything else that came with it. I mean the game is still there when I thought it might be dead by now as much as I dislike what it has done to play in some cases.

My guess would be probably not (staying afloat I mean), based how the state of the game was before PWE. The switch pretty much saved / kickstarted the game, that's why it's still rolling after these years, and that now even an expansion is on the way.

But - and it may sounds ungrateful - I still don't like the concept of lockboxes :)  I hope maybe they will put the D'Kora in the Store someday...

I believe this is a half hearted desperate attempt to milk the remaining populatioon ( it is a hard core dedicated ST fanboi pop ) of cash. They've run polls in the past of players and Romulans were usually the tops.  What Cryptic has done is true to form . It's a minimal effort addition not to expand or disrupt the quasi one faction game they have. This was a pure brazen cash grab. This is by no means a sign of prosperity or revival of fortunes for the game, in fact I think it signals the opposite. Minimal effort most of the items where already in game in terms of art and design , even the one Romulan ship looks like the Klingon BoP, Highly imaginative and orignal ! ( /sarcasmoff ). Then they roll you into one of the exsisting factions.This is an obvious farce meant to generate income, that no doubt has fallen appreciably. Fortunately this was the last big card they could really play to generate income and they of course played it cynically and badly. GJ Cryptic, can always count on you to do the wrong thing and poorly executed. It's become their hallmark.

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

4/23/13 4:34:59 PM#46

One hundred and twenty five dollars?!! Are they nuts????

Earth to PWE, no one is lining up to play STO so perhaps price gouging is not the best strategy. It's only going to alienate the few that are left playing. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

udon

Advanced Member

4/23/13 4:40:44 PM#47
I was very sad to hear that you have to pick to side with one of the existing factions instead of getting to be a true third.  I understand how much more work it would have been but having three complete leveling paths would have been the right way to go.
  IMPYRE

Hard Core Member

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

4/23/13 5:36:13 PM#48
Originally posted by ktanner3

One hundred and twenty five dollars?!! Are they nuts????

Earth to PWE, no one is lining up to play STO so perhaps price gouging is not the best strategy. It's only going to alienate the few that are left playing. 

Not to come off like a sto fan, but the game is far from dead. I have been playing for 3+ months now and have yet to complain about a empty mmorpg.

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

4/23/13 5:46:07 PM#49

I think the ships will be available seperately in the cstore, still not worth that price for me but u can always grind dilithium for a month or 2 for it.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

4/24/13 1:54:51 PM#50
Originally posted by Karahandras

I think the ships will be available seperately in the cstore, still not worth that price for me but u can always grind dilithium for a month or 2 for it.

This is how I would buy one if I wanted it.  I don't really need the special leveling ships considering they have limited value once you outlevel them.

Some of the items in the cash shop are spendy, but I don't often need to spend money in the game.  In fact this has been one of the least expensive games I've played.  I spent $30 on DOff packs and a couple character slots last month, but that is all I've spent on STO in the last year.

Curse you AquaScum!

Agent_Joseph

Advanced Member

4/26/13 6:47:25 AM#51

They should stop use word  ,,FACTION,, ,it is only  new content & playable species for Fed & KDF

STO is two faction mmo,there are no more faction & never to be in future !

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Rohn

Hard Core Member

4/26/13 11:36:56 AM#52

They've released a Dev Blog about the Warbird Singularity powers - sounds very cool.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=875021

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

4/27/13 2:35:20 AM#53
Originally posted by Rohn

They've released a Dev Blog about the Warbird Singularity powers - sounds very cool.

Yawn , recycled effects from Fed and Klingon game play , renamed , possibly slightly different graphic , but the same effect in game. Typical Craptic stuff. Recycle and redress and call it new. Just a matter of ship type, consoles and crew skills.  

Valoreah

Apprentice Member

4/29/13 4:27:30 PM#54
Originally posted by Rohn

I've playtested these on Tribble.  They're "meh" at best.  

Rohn

Hard Core Member

5/05/13 4:03:11 PM#55

Branflakes did a stream on Raptr that shows a lot about the coming expansion, which can be seen here:

http://www.twitch.tv/raptr/c/2242426

A lot of the changes, like character creation, look really good.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search