Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,787,243 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,318
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Massively Voting Contest STO vs LotRO

11 posts found
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

OP  1/22/13 10:28:12 PM#1

Massively is having a voting contest between STO and LotRO.  Vote if you feel like it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/21/leaderboard-lord-of-the-rings-online-vs-star-trek-online/#continued

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

1/23/13 10:33:41 AM#2
Originally posted by Torvaldr

Massively is having a voting contest between STO and LotRO.  Vote if you feel like it: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/21/leaderboard-lord-of-the-rings-online-vs-star-trek-online/#continued

Why ? Lmao , 72 % LotRO v 27 % STO.  Not even close.

Torvaldr

Elite Member

OP  1/23/13 11:25:43 AM#3
It was the other way around earlier in the day yesterday.  Then Turbine pumped out the tweets and it shifted.  They use twitter quite heavily and I wanted to put the word out to any STO fans.  It's only a few thousand difference.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Valoreah

Novice Member

1/23/13 11:53:49 AM#4

There is an interesting thread on the official STO forums about this.  While I do enjoy STO, I voted for LoTRO.

I agree with this poster who posted;

"Star Trek: Online" is a patch work of historical franchise elements, which were stitched together with an artistic license. Cryptic had to invent explanations for why historical franchise elements exited in the 25th century.

If Cryptic dedicated a half a season to revamping social zones, (adding non-grinding contexts, depth, new designs, story elements, and mini-missions), I think many people will shout out with joy. As long as those new environments are geared towards the social experience, many people will find some sort of use for them. Do you know what Cryptic will do? Cryptic will find someway to destroy those environments with grinding reputation marks.

itchmon

Elite Member

1/23/13 12:01:09 PM#5

i am a pretty die hard fan of both the ST franchise and the LOTR books.

i remember, in LOTRO upon seeing the Shire for the first time, it literally brought tears to my eyes.  i felt like, at least in the Shire, i was really in middle earth.

i never got the same feeling in my small amount of time in STO.

therefore i voted for LOTRO.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

1/23/13 12:47:33 PM#6
Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I don't think it's close either. I'm no fan of Lord of the Rings but they did do a better job with their MMO. Deep Space Nine was the biggest disapointment for me in STO. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

jtcgs

Advanced Member

1/23/13 12:52:02 PM#7
These two games should not be pit against each other...the only thing they really have in common is that they are played online.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Torvaldr

Elite Member

OP  1/23/13 1:42:06 PM#8
Originally posted by ktanner3
Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I don't think it's close either. I'm no fan of Lord of the Rings but they did do a better job with their MMO. Deep Space Nine was the biggest disapointment for me in STO. 

I've played both, and LotRO since launch, and both are fine games.  I actually don't think Turbine has done a good job on LotRO at all.  Their focus is all over the place (they add systems, but then leave them dangling for years. eg: housing and hobbies).  They have crippled game mechanics so they need to be purchased in the store and they push the store more heavily than any of my other sub-free games.  The engine is horribly dated and the servers performance is lackluster.

Turbine has put out more content than Cryptic has with STO, but it's not really high quality content with some exceptions.

Overall I feel like I've gotten a better deal out of STO than I have LotRO and I own all but the last LotRO xpac.

Draemos

Advanced Member

1/24/13 10:19:28 AM#9
I actually like STO and think LOTRO is a bit of a bore, but even I wouldn't vote for STO on that particular poll.
  Torgrim

Spotlight Poster

2/12/13 4:45:42 AM#10
Originally posted by jtcgs
These two games should not be pit against each other...the only thing they really have in common is that they are played online.

The point is as far as I understood is how Cryptic and Turbine handled those two great IP.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Laxmi_Ganesh

Novice Member

2/13/13 10:52:03 AM#11
As far as recreating the IP the game is best on, LOTRO wins hands down. As far as pure fun, I prefer STO. But I enjoy both games.