Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,994 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,082
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » How Season 7 failed

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
25 posts found
  User Deleted
1/02/13 12:55:18 PM#21
Originally posted by Valoreah

Originally posted by Rohn

Again, players like the system.  It's been a success.

I think it a bit of a stretch to call the starbase and rep grinding a "success". I wouldn't call it a complete failure, but it certainly isn't a ringing success by any definition. The only reason most seem to be continuing with the rep grind is to satiate the Pokeman mentality and a lack of any other content in the game. Some of the gear you can get is ok, but to be honest there is no content in the game that really calls for it so it's basically pointless to get.

Rep grinds when expanded at the end are always bad. They are bad for players and bad for fleets. Why couldn't they have adopted the GW2 experience bar mentality where the same amount of work for 1-3 would get 4-5? or the LOTRO mentality of dropping fleet marks from other gameplay ventures like foundry missions, pve/pvp maps or the dili gathering missions?

This part of season 7 is a failure. I left the game for a while but i contributed alot while there to the first two tiers. When i came back to the game I was astonished that the fleet hadn't gotten past tier 3 (especially since they had such a large number of people that stayed while i took a hiatus). That is disturbing. This means there's something definitely wrong with the system. That many people working towards getting the last two tiers in 4 months time should not have been stuck at tier 3.

Valoreah

Novice Member

1/03/13 10:30:34 AM#22

Originally posted by itgrowls

Rep grinds when expanded at the end are always bad. They are bad for players and bad for fleets. Why couldn't they have adopted the GW2 experience bar mentality where the same amount of work for 1-3 would get 4-5? or the LOTRO mentality of dropping fleet marks from other gameplay ventures like foundry missions, pve/pvp maps or the dili gathering missions? This part of season 7 is a failure. I left the game for a while but i contributed alot while there to the first two tiers. When i came back to the game I was astonished that the fleet hadn't gotten past tier 3 (especially since they had such a large number of people that stayed while i took a hiatus). That is disturbing. This means there's something definitely wrong with the system. That many people working towards getting the last two tiers in 4 months time should not have been stuck at tier 3.

I agree. I'd add to your suggestions a system similar to the Supergroup Prestige in CoX. You can earn group currency doing just about any activity in the game and you weren't pigeonholed into doing the same boring tasks repeatedly. Nor were you asked to choose between yourself or your group in terms of shelling out ridiculous sums of currency. The dilithium requirements are much too high IMO.

Draemos

Advanced Member

1/05/13 12:51:39 PM#23

Season 7 is a very solid season and enjoyed by most, especially now that the "omg change is terrible" nonsense that accompanies every season has died down.  

People are completing their rep and fleet advancement is starting to move forward again.  For some reason a handful of folks flip out if they can't fill every fleet project the same day it goes up.  No idea why, they are suppose to be long term commitments.  

I'm enjoying that everything is no longer handed to players on a silver plate, it makes getting the gear that much more meaningful.  A the same time, the "grind" involved is very casual friendly due to the way they use time caps.

Valoreah

Novice Member

1/07/13 9:32:19 AM#24
Originally posted by Draemos

Season 7 is a very solid season and enjoyed by most, especially now that the "omg change is terrible" nonsense that accompanies every season has died down.  

People are completing their rep and fleet advancement is starting to move forward again.  For some reason a handful of folks flip out if they can't fill every fleet project the same day it goes up.  No idea why, they are suppose to be long term commitments.  

I'm enjoying that everything is no longer handed to players on a silver plate, it makes getting the gear that much more meaningful.  A the same time, the "grind" involved is very casual friendly due to the way they use time caps.

I think it speculation to assume that Season 7 is "enjoyed by most" or "disliked by most".  There is no definitive proof either way.  I can't speak for every player, however from personal experience, the Rep and Fleet grinding system is nothing more than a boring grind for gear you don't need.  The Purple MK XI and MK II gear I got long before any Fleet or Rep systems were in place is still more than viable.  At least for me and my fleet mates (those who did stay with the game), the gear from rep grinding simply isn't worth the time.  There is no content in the game that calls for it in my opinion.

IMO there is nothing wrong with a rep system per say.  Personally, I'd like to see more options for obtaining required points/currency/whatever for advancing as the pre-defined tasks get stale after the second or third time.  I also don't care for the having to choose between spending dilithium on my characters and contributing to fleet projects.  Something along the lines of the prestige system from CoX would have been preferable.   

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

1/07/13 10:20:49 PM#25

This arbritrary success , failure is irrelevant. The true basis is has there been a net income flow increase for PWI/Cryptic . If there has or hasn't we'll probably never know until they pull the plug on the game.

Personnally , anything that increases the grindiness of a game stands as a testement that the Devs are buying time for themselves. Their ability to produce content is obvious hindered and requires more time to produce more content. It also means that the original design of the released content is not hitting it's designed marks for which a player should achieve it. The player base may be moving quicker then expected or planned.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search