Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,330 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,412
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Factions and ability to be "free"

7 posts found
  ompgaming

Advanced Member

Know Thyself

OP  11/17/12 9:16:38 PM#1

I understand that you can only play as the Federation or Klingon.  Setting the Klingon thing to the side for a moment, is everyone who plays as Federation IN the Federation as a Starfeet guy or can you be sort of freelance civilian? 

Does it work like that?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

ThumbtackJ

Hard Core Member

11/17/12 9:50:26 PM#2
Originally posted by ompgaming

I understand that you can only play as the Federation or Klingon.  Setting the Klingon thing to the side for a moment, is everyone who plays as Federation IN the Federation as a Starfeet guy or can you be sort of freelance civilian? 

Does it work like that?

It's been a minute since I last played, but I believe everyone is in Starfleet. Though not all ships are federation ships. From what I remember you can get Ferengi ships (for example) out of lockboxes.

Om bhur bhuvah svah
tát savitúr váreniyam
bhárgo devásya dhimahi
dhíyo yó nah pracodáyat

DarthMajin

Advanced Member

11/17/12 9:56:07 PM#3
Yes, Federation characters are all part of starfleet. You can get non-starfleet ships though from lockboxes and from the C-Store and Lobi store.

Onomas

Novice Member

Sandbox is your only hope for a decent mmo ;)

11/17/12 11:21:27 PM#4
They promised romulan and sseveral other factions before launch. See it hasnt worked out. Kind of boring being just 2 in a world of hundreds.
  Burntvet

Hard Core Member

11/18/12 11:45:18 AM#5
Originally posted by DarthMajin
Yes, Federation characters are all part of starfleet. You can get non-starfleet ships though from lockboxes and from the C-Store and Lobi store.

This being the main focus of the developers these days.

As time goes it on, this game seems to be more and more coercive in regards to making people buy lockbox keys or make C-store purchases.

And less about making the game "better".

Cryptic has like many MMO devs made many promises over the years and fulfilled all too few.

We can only hope the license for this game is not renewed and the next ST MMO will be better.

Silverdagger

Apprentice Member

11/18/12 3:47:59 PM#6
Originally posted by ompgaming

Does it work like that?

As others have stated, "no" and it's not like you can go rogue on Starfleet.  You can't join the Marquis and fight Feds or abandon technology and form your own colony.  STO is a superficial game.  There are no options for freelancing.

AG-Vuk

Advanced Member

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Oh, I see it's too late to help you.

11/19/12 1:51:08 PM#7
Originally posted by Onomas
They promised romulan and sseveral other factions before launch. See it hasnt worked out. Kind of boring being just 2 in a world of hundreds.

2 factions ! Hahahaha ! Try 1 and 2/5 th's . Even that may be and exageration.  They gave up on Klingon faction about season 3 or 4 . So you're basically confined to a very linear one faction game, going to Klingon perhaps to harvest  a bit more since the new season was introduced.