Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,844 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,767
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » Star Trek Online - launcher is kinda dorkie

10 posts found
  SaunZ

Apprentice Member

1-800-ASK-SAUN

OP  10/01/12 2:28:59 PM#1

lol... i download Star Trek Online to give it a try and the launcher is a mess.

i log into my newly created Perfect World account and then it asks me if i have a Cryptic account too.  i click NO and nothing!!

i tried a million times, rebooted, rebooted network, apartment electricity, rebooted water, flushed the toilets, reboot the cable, cleaned the stove and nothing!!

i sent their customer support a picture of it... i hope they help me. 

1st game i have ever had launcher problems with.  even wow never gave me any problems with all their battlenet crap.

why make a launcher so difficult?

sz

FrodoFragins

Advanced Member

10/01/12 3:33:33 PM#2
It's because both the studio and publisher are crap.  I had major issues as well.  Logging into a F2P MMO shouldn't be a challenge.
  Cacaphony

Tipster

10/01/12 3:51:15 PM#3

Do yourself a favor and take this as a sign about the quality of cryptic and the game as a whole. Don't bother with this game and move on.

SaunZ

Apprentice Member

1-800-ASK-SAUN

OP  10/02/12 9:04:57 AM#4

thanks for the advice guys... i am putting this mmo away

customer support sent me a reply to try a bunch of stuff and i did

so i wrote them back saying the same thing - how can a F2P have a launcher issue out of all the BILLIONS of mmos that i have tried and played... geez

sz

MadDemon64

Advanced Member

Why is it that fantasy trolls are vulnerable to fire, but internet trolls thrive on flame wars?

10/14/12 4:39:47 PM#5

SaunZ, do yourself a favor and ignore the previous posters, as they have zero idea what they are talking about.  They are obviously people who baselessly hate Cryptic and PWE, and will take any excuse to falsly accuse them of ineptitutde.

You are not alone in this.  This was a problem that many people had when the Cryptic/PWE account merger happened (and honestly, the merging of two different accounts from two different companies that use two different systems is bound to cause problems).

Do not fall for what Cacaphony and Frodo told you; solving this problem is fairly easy.  Just give it some time.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Vlhad77

Novice Member

10/15/12 1:03:44 AM#6
yea really dont listen to them and give it some time, i had trouble after the merger myself and its easy to log into the game
  Cacaphony

Tipster

10/15/12 1:28:38 AM#7

Originally posted by MadDemon64
SaunZ, do yourself a favor and ignore the previous posters, as they have zero idea what they are talking about.  They are obviously people who baselessly hate Cryptic and PWE, and will take any excuse to falsly accuse them of ineptitutde.

You are not alone in this.  This was a problem that many people had when the Cryptic/PWE account merger happened (and honestly, the merging of two different accounts from two different companies that use two different systems is bound to cause problems).

Do not fall for what Cacaphony and Frodo told you; solving this problem is fairly easy.  Just give it some time.

As you say I will take any excuse to "falsely accuse" Cryptic of ineptitude, you seem to take any opportunity to sweep aside any opinion of skeptical or negative nature. The criticism I have developed over the entire time from closed beta till now. I feel my skepticism is warranted, given the treatment of the IP as nothing more than an object to be monetized, and the game mechanics and content being shallow, broken, and lackluster.

If you think I am just blowing smoke here, then I suppose a great many members of the STO community, prominent members who got banned from the forums like The Grand Nagus, Jacob Flowers, Perigrin Falcon, and many others who have either left in disgust or have been banned, share either parts of my opinion or all of it.

So no, I am not "falsely accusing" Cryptic of anything. Anything I warn others against about this game is justified and warranted in my opinion and impressions. I am stating what I truly feel based off my own experience with the game, and from the words and discussions that STO players are having on STO's own forum boards.

I know what I look like. A hater. I actually don't hate the game. I heavily dislike the approach Cryptic is taking with the game, and how they are not expanding on the IP in any interesting or meaningful way. I don't think anyone could say that the story line in STO is unique or even interesting. Why use Lobi Crystals as ANOTHER currency for rare items when Cryptic was supposed to condense the currencies from, what, 12 or so different currencies? Why use dilithium as a trade currency? Its freaking rare and used to power ships. How does dilithium as a currency make sense at all when you have GPL?

So, SaunZ, please do yourself a favor and ignore the previous posters, as they have zero idea what they are talking about. They are obviously people who baselessly hate people who have different opinions other than themselves and will take any excuse to falsely accuse them of ineptitude.

Vlhad77

Novice Member

10/15/12 1:33:30 AM#8
you know cacaphony does have a point there,  dilthium was used to power the ships and what is GPL being used for in game?  not really a dam thing.  Idk i still have faith in it and want to see it do good but my patience is growing real thin.
  ShardWarrior

Advanced Member

10/16/12 10:18:38 AM#9
Originally posted by Cacaphony

As you say I will take any excuse to "falsely accuse" Cryptic of ineptitude, you seem to take any opportunity to sweep aside any opinion of skeptical or negative nature. The criticism I have developed over the entire time from closed beta till now. I feel my skepticism is warranted, given the treatment of the IP as nothing more than an object to be monetized, and the game mechanics and content being shallow, broken, and lackluster.

If you think I am just blowing smoke here, then I suppose a great many members of the STO community, prominent members who got banned from the forums like The Grand Nagus, Jacob Flowers, Perigrin Falcon, and many others who have either left in disgust or have been banned, share either parts of my opinion or all of it.

So no, I am not "falsely accusing" Cryptic of anything. Anything I warn others against about this game is justified and warranted in my opinion and impressions. I am stating what I truly feel based off my own experience with the game, and from the words and discussions that STO players are having on STO's own forum boards.

I know what I look like. A hater. I actually don't hate the game. I heavily dislike the approach Cryptic is taking with the game, and how they are not expanding on the IP in any interesting or meaningful way. I don't think anyone could say that the story line in STO is unique or even interesting. Why use Lobi Crystals as ANOTHER currency for rare items when Cryptic was supposed to condense the currencies from, what, 12 or so different currencies? Why use dilithium as a trade currency? Its freaking rare and used to power ships. How does dilithium as a currency make sense at all when you have GPL?

So, SaunZ, please do yourself a favor and ignore the previous posters, as they have zero idea what they are talking about. They are obviously people who baselessly hate people who have different opinions other than themselves and will take any excuse to falsely accuse them of ineptitude.

100% this.  Cacaphony is spot on here.  

superniceguy

Novice Member

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

10/16/12 10:49:11 AM#10

I have had no issues with launcher and been with the game since it launched.

All launchers seem to create problems at some point. SWG had about 3 different launchers. EVE was the worst one I had trying to install. WOW did not like Kasperksy. LOTRO was confusing to begin with having to download a exe file for each major update, but they do not seem to that now. City of Heroes got confusing when they dicthed the games own launcher, and had to use the NC Soft Launcher. But STO I have not had a problem at all.

As for the game not being "canon". That seems to be the case with MMOs. SWG had Jedi, when the time frame of the game, Jedi were scarce.

SWTOR had more flexibility has they could create its own canon, but that game is not being expanded upon at all, and is why is losing players fast

There is not many great Star Trek games compared to Star Wars games, but as a MMO, I think STO is quite good overall, considering.

Unfortunately MMOs are all about money first, as without it, the games shut down, but if money become not a worry, then the gameplay comes second.