Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,662 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,857
Cryptic Studios | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 02/02/10)  | Pub:Perfect World Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

Star Trek Online Forum » General Discussion » To go where no man has gone before...

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
23 posts found
  ThreeSixty

Novice Member

8/20/12 6:09:43 PM#21

STO isn't even in the same category/genre as EvE - other than "space" the two have nothing in common - so comparisons between the two don't really lead us anywhere. 

If you need a comparison, STO is far more analogous to WoW or EQ2, just in a different setting (and with a far more aggressive cash shop).  

Astropuyo

Novice Member

I lose more stars than a hollywood speedball convention.

8/20/12 6:17:04 PM#22
Originally posted by MadDemon64
Originally posted by Boneserino

Its definitely not what I would call an explorers game.  Much more of an action shooter with roleplaying elements I think.  Everything is explored through scenarios, basically.  

I'm not knocking the game, I quite enjoy it for what it is.  Ship battle is its best feature I think.

Agreed on the ship battle part, but honestly, can we call Star Trek an "explorers show"?  Mostly its interspecies politics.  Most discoveries come in the form of "how the politics of one species, while different than ours, is not better or worse than ours" or "how to use photon torpedoes to stabalize a dying sun".  The true discoveries you are talking about are actually very rare, with the exception of Voyager.  Unlike the other Star Trek series, Voyager was 100% exploration and discovery, since it was in the unexplored/unmapped Delta Quadrant (yes there was combat, but it had more exploration and discovery than almost all of the other series put together).

I prefered the episodes of epic battles personally.

I really enjoy the exploration aspect of star trek, but ..

Lets compare the opening to the new movie, with all that is going on.

With meeting Jimo the race of aliens.

I'm a combat type for Star Trek. Always liked the combat far more than science aspect. This is why I enjoy DS9's dominion wars era so much.

astropuyo Xfire Miniprofile
  AC1074

Apprentice Member

9/30/12 1:55:51 PM#23
Originally posted by Burntvet

You can explore the world of crooked Chinese RMT lockbox gambling tho...

Since that is about the only new thing to go into STO in the last year...

Even "free", this game is a rip-off...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search