Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Firefall | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,739,348 Users Online:0
Games:715  Posts:6,177,414
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Final  (rel 01/11/11)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC PS3 | Out of date info? Let us know!

DC Universe Forum » DC Discussion » DC vs Marvel?

4 posts found
  XUoTo

Apprentice Member

OP  2/27/13 2:14:32 PM#1

Have to Hand it to Dc, despite the fact that they were kicking marvels butt in the movie industry until the avengers and even then still grossed about the same in the box office for the third batman installment, Dc has got to get on top of the gaming bandwagon. Dcuo is an ok game but overall I don't see it as being any different then any other game on the market right now, a quest heavy grind to defeat the villains or heroes (depending on your selection of character), if you don't like questing, you can always pvp or raid grind (which by the way you'll have to do anyway if you want the epic level armor), then at cap once you have obtained the armor, done all the raids, and completed the bulk of the pve based fetch and return missions, the only thing to do is to help others finish their raiding. 

Though Dc made a major breakthrough with environment incorporated combat in an mmo, (which is a first) again it isnt any different then other games. You are given a skill tree on which you can choose one of two styles of play based on both the villain and the hero of the power you chose, you also have a second tree for your basic fighting style which advances and changes the combination and number of buttons you need to mash to perform various tasks such as stun and knockback.

The free roam in the game is impressive as you can choose between one of three modes of travel, flight, superspeed, or acrobatics, each of these gain a unique improvement at around level 10 which greatly improves the effectiveness and speed of getting around. There are also interest points and collectible items which can be a pain to locate, each villains quest line also have several unique collectibles you can find to gain an extra boost to rewards and exp. If that weren't enough, you also gain experience and achievements for visiting milestone locations such as the very top of the Lex Corp Tower in metropolis or the Wayne Tech. building in Gotham.

Another favorite to some and not to others is a double sided coin, the customization and your character, for those who don't know, in dcuo the character you play as is a "New Hero" self created by you. You may be able to play cannons in certain pvp events, some of which you have to buy with real money in order to utilize while others you can buy with a serious amount of in game cash while others still are only available from special versions of the game such as preorders or limited edition versions. The second part of this, customizing your character, is nothing new, you can collect some of the most outlandish clothing styles then swap them anytime anywhere, Once you see a style you like, you can then color the attire in three parts, but hey, at least you don't have to collect one time use non account bound dyes like in gw2.

More recently, DCUo has released new game content expanding the powers you can use, a new weapon, and more pve/pvp grinding. Dc has also heard the many pleas for an mmo that actually gives us the players our own housing, in dcuo it's called a base of operations, from this base you can customize your space and unlock unique upgrades to your character such as a sidekick and minions. Though I haven't actually checked into this myself, It has not seemed to make the game any more interesting or exciting as the game is still a button mashing frenzy of grinding and dogging around.

Unless you are an extremely dedicated and avid comic book fan whom enjoys running around the cities of DC as a hero you created doing the bidding of those heroes whom will always be more epic then you, or just need to play a game to fill the gaps between daily tasks, this game will get extremely boring fairly quickly. Don't get me wrong, I have been immersed in the world of comics for may years, and yet i find that spending more then a couple hours a week on this game is less then entertaining at best.

I welcome any and all replies so feel free to post your comments below, if you rp and are interested in joining a dc/marvel mashup, click the picture in my signature and check out my forum. Otherwise, happy gaming

X

birdycephon

Novice Member

Not Safe For Woona (NSFW)

2/27/13 2:16:47 PM#2
Marvel.
  Tabloid42

Apprentice Member

We're going to need a bigger FlashDrive!

5/03/13 10:51:13 AM#3

I was hoping to read a comparrison review of DCUO and the Marvel 'MMO',..humm

For starters, imho,...right out of the gate, I don't want to play MArvel. and be stuck playing one of a few pre-set characters, and have 5 hulks running around. I don't mind it for console games like Street Fighter,..FF,..etc,.but not for something you wanna label as an MMO.

DCU is heavily instanced,..but MArvel sounds even moreso,..ala Diablo, of course. Which is also a top down 3/4 view,..click to move.

Totally two different games.  I like my MMO's 3rd person , player made characters,.as open world as is allowed, so if I had to choose, DCUO get's my vote.

korent1991

Elite Member

5/03/13 10:59:40 AM#4

Marvel has ironman, thus marvel wins...

/thread :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
-------------------------------