Trending Games | Pirate101 | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | EverQuest

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,794 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,542
NDoors Interactive | Official Site
Action MMO | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 10/30/08)  | Pub:Nexon America Inc.
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Atlantica Online Forum » General Discussion » breathing new life into a long time gamer

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
30 posts found
  orbit4

Novice Member

Joined: 6/25/06
Posts: 1

 
OP  7/24/08 9:18:28 AM#1

After playing MMOs since they started and having tried a large amount of them I have started hundreds of characters over the years so after a while alot of things become old hat, and after a while I noticed that grinding through the early levels it takes quite alot more in a game to get me passed lvl 20. There is a freshness to any game that can make it exciting when you are starting your first character ever or even your 10th but when its been 100 or 200 , you start thinking not so much the first impression, like how pretty the game is or the cool factor of how cool the action is or whatever, you start to think, is there something about this game that will keep me more than a month or two. I have tried a few new games off and on lately but the game mechanics were always so familiar it didnt feel new anymore after only the first 30 minutes in some games.

Then Atlantica came along, and I found myself actually noticing something odd after about 30 minutes or so, after I learned enough of the interface and whatnot to delve into the game, This strange sensation that came over me , was fun. Yes , I was actually just plain having fun , something that has sadly been missing from my MMO for far too long. The game mechanics are such an interesting mix of pieces of older games, and a few new things too. There are just so many little things that all add up to make it a nice change, its the little details often that make the most difference. I hope more people get to check this game out, I think some people may find themselves getting hooked like a pleasant surprise, much like I did.

  Grrl

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/10/07
Posts: 358

I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

7/24/08 5:41:30 PM#2

Kudos for this fantastic review. This brought a tear to my eye.

This is exactly how I felt/feel.

  kingbloop

Novice Member

Joined: 9/27/07
Posts: 180

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

7/24/08 5:47:04 PM#3
Originally posted by orbit4

After playing MMOs since they started and having tried a large amount of them I have started hundreds of characters over the years so after a while alot of things become old hat, and after a while I noticed that grinding through the early levels it takes quite alot more in a game to get me passed lvl 20. There is a freshness to any game that can make it exciting when you are starting your first character ever or even your 10th but when its been 100 or 200 , you start thinking not so much the first impression, like how pretty the game is or the cool factor of how cool the action is or whatever, you start to think, is there something about this game that will keep me more than a month or two. I have tried a few new games off and on lately but the game mechanics were always so familiar it didnt feel new anymore after only the first 30 minutes in some games.

Then Atlantica came along, and I found myself actually noticing something odd after about 30 minutes or so, after I learned enough of the interface and whatnot to delve into the game, This strange sensation that came over me , was fun. Yes , I was actually just plain having fun , something that has sadly been missing from my MMO for far too long. The game mechanics are such an interesting mix of pieces of older games, and a few new things too. There are just so many little things that all add up to make it a nice change, its the little details often that make the most difference. I hope more people get to check this game out, I think some people may find themselves getting hooked like a pleasant surprise, much like I did.

 

I'm in the same boat as you. I started out with eq when it firswt came out and have played so many other games since and they all seem to feel the same. and somehow this is an awesome mix of FF tactics and new stuff and breathes awesome life into the player. Fun is to be had even when you arent trying to have it in this game.

Plus you got a a bunch of little things in this game that make it even more awesome. like auto-move to a quest point, auto-battle for when you are talking to a deciple or mentor or guild. its awesome.

  meesha035

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/30/07
Posts: 22

7/28/08 2:04:19 PM#4

If you don't at least give this game a try,  you are truly missing out on something special.  After playing almost every MMO out there,  I think I finally found something that can keep my attention for more than a month.  I would love to give more information,  but that would really spoil the surprise.

 

  conqistador

Apprentice Member

Joined: 9/29/08
Posts: 237

9/30/08 8:33:47 AM#5

I agree. I have played alot of games in my time. From Ragnarok to eudemons Conquer onlione Wow Solstice, alot! ive played alot that i forgot all of their names. What makes this game stand out from the rest is taht this is simply revolutionary! No other gameis quite like it! I wouldnt be surprised when newer MMORPGS would come out trying to copy this game

  lordlapse

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/08
Posts: 230

The world is full of music.

9/30/08 11:45:55 AM#6
Originally posted by conqistador

I agree. I have played alot of games in my time. From Ragnarok to eudemons Conquer onlione Wow Solstice, alot! ive played alot that i forgot all of their names. What makes this game stand out from the rest is taht this is simply revolutionary! No other gameis quite like it! I wouldnt be surprised when newer MMORPGS would come out trying to copy this game

LOL. I wouldn't be surprised too. Though most ppl already say that this game is similar to FF. However I would say with pride that the experience of this game is totally different.

  Matutino

Novice Member

Joined: 6/08/07
Posts: 63

9/30/08 7:31:00 PM#7

Agree, I played a lot of mmorpgs and I found the one that suits me in Atlantica :)

Hope to see u ingame.

IGN: BeLu - Sykion server

  johnnyboy666

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/08
Posts: 81

Pain is temporary. Glory is forever.

10/01/08 12:04:11 AM#8

The console Final Fantasy games are great games and all, but they're no online games. Though Atlantica Online sort of feels like those games, it's offers a totally different gaming experience. Thankfully, it's one experience you wouldn't want to miss. 

  dl1984

Novice Member

Joined: 10/01/08
Posts: 4

10/01/08 7:33:33 AM#9

Long Live old PC Games.

I totally agree with all of you here. I have been a gamer since ms-dos era where we play worms, etc. The last MMO that i have been playing was World of Warcraft (which i really enjoyed). I mean i have played other MMOs tested them looking for a game that will give me the chills when playing but failed to find one.

Thanks to this game, i found a new life in me. Once again, i found myself as a gamer and not just grinding to death to level up and PvP all day since it's the only thing that brings life to the game (my apologies to games being played that may seem exactly as the one it typed). I know most of us have different taste but i believe this one can be played by anyone.

I remember the days where i play Disciples, Heroes of Might and Magic, Orion2, and other turn based Games and had a lot of fun playing it strategically.

I must say, give this game a try, you'll find it addictive and for me, you won't find yourself doing nothing.

It is a solid game with a lot of features to throw in for fun and excitement.

 

  just1opinion

Smart-Alek

Joined: 8/14/07
Posts: 4933

10/01/08 7:42:30 AM#10

This is one game that I actually haven't tried yet!  What has stopped me from "checking it out" is the turn-based style of combat.  So....I have to ask you guys....does it seem to slow the game down a lot and make it all feel less fluid?  Because that has been what has kept me away, basically, the concern about the fluidity and possible negative affect on a feeling of immersion, that turn-based combat might have.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  QSatu

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/14/06
Posts: 1766

10/01/08 7:59:38 AM#11

The combat doesn;t slow down game.. you have only 30 seconds to give orders to 9 characters.. when you're in a team there is all the tim someone attackng, casting spell etc. I was really surpriced how fast combat felt.

Btw. This game really reminds me of Heroes of might and magic.. The cities, world.. there aren;t big empty fields.. everywhere you will find npc's, buildings and something to do. In HoMM you had so many buildings, artifacts etc. to find on a world map.. when I play AO I feel the same, that I can find so many interesting places to visit.

  just1opinion

Smart-Alek

Joined: 8/14/07
Posts: 4933

10/01/08 8:02:48 AM#12
Originally posted by TwilightEdge

The combat doesn;t slow down game.. you have only 30 seconds to give orders to 9 characters.. when you're in a team there is all the tim someone attackng, casting spell etc. I was really surpriced how fast combat felt.

Btw. This game really reminds me of Heroes of might and magic.. The cities, world.. there aren;t big empty fields.. everywhere you will find npc's, buildings and something to do. In HoMM you had so many buildings, artifacts etc. to find on a world map.. when I play AO I feel the same, that I can find so many interesting places to visit.

 

You mean you have to control NINE characters at one time???  I don't think I'd like that.  I didn't realize that.  I thought you just controlled your own single character.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  Slappan

Novice Member

Joined: 9/23/08
Posts: 290

10/01/08 8:03:24 AM#13

Surprisingly, it doesn't slow down gameplay that much, because each hit on every enemy and each individual kill gives adequate experience. Each enemy party member is probably equivalent to a single enemy in other games, in terms of experience given. So if you kill an enemy party of five, it's like killing five spiders in WoW. The bulk of early experience is also gained from questing, so grinding - at least at early levels- is minimal. You can also form or join parties for even more experience.

  QSatu

Advanced Member

Joined: 10/14/06
Posts: 1766

10/01/08 8:20:32 AM#14
Originally posted by girlgeek
Originally posted by TwilightEdge

The combat doesn;t slow down game.. you have only 30 seconds to give orders to 9 characters.. when you're in a team there is all the tim someone attackng, casting spell etc. I was really surpriced how fast combat felt.

Btw. This game really reminds me of Heroes of might and magic.. The cities, world.. there aren;t big empty fields.. everywhere you will find npc's, buildings and something to do. In HoMM you had so many buildings, artifacts etc. to find on a world map.. when I play AO I feel the same, that I can find so many interesting places to visit.

 

You mean you have to control NINE characters at one time???  I don't think I'd like that.  I didn't realize that.  I thought you just controlled your own single character.

It's not that bad.. when you start you only have 4 characters and you have time to learn.. Besides The ui is preety good and you really don;t have to click very half a second to atually give orders =P You select characters with 1-9.. you have quick slots under f1-f5 (if you have a guild and that guild is owning a town, othewise you only have f1 and f2 for potions etc) and under Q W E R T you have some spells, special abilities.. so right now I have 6 characters in my team and I even have time ti think a little while giving orders =P

  lordlapse

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/08
Posts: 230

The world is full of music.

10/01/08 9:39:43 AM#15

I don't think it is THAT slow. I think the speed matches up quite well. Or did you forget this is a turn-based RPG and not hack and slash?

  AdvancedTech

Novice Member

Joined: 2/03/08
Posts: 167

10/01/08 10:04:06 AM#16

Yeah I just saw the advertisement on the front page of mmorpg and thought why not. It's awesome. I played Warcraft for 3 years needed a change of scenary. Reminds me of Final Fantasy at its peek. I'm already level 30, its quite easy to level. Crafting looks complicated at first but its easy, just takes its fare share of time to complete. The turn based system couldnt be any better for a mmorpg if you ask me. This games done it all.

  lordlapse

Novice Member

Joined: 9/22/08
Posts: 230

The world is full of music.

10/01/08 10:38:11 AM#17
Originally posted by girlgeek

This is one game that I actually haven't tried yet!  What has stopped me from "checking it out" is the turn-based style of combat.  So....I have to ask you guys....does it seem to slow the game down a lot and make it all feel less fluid?  Because that has been what has kept me away, basically, the concern about the fluidity and possible negative affect on a feeling of immersion, that turn-based combat might have.

 

The battle system is fluid. It doesn't mean that a turn-based system will neglect fluidity of the game. Although it might seem a bit slow at first while you're trying to figure out the controls and stuff. But trust me, trying this is worth your time.

  nywlanas

Novice Member

Joined: 9/29/08
Posts: 333

baby girl, twist away..

10/01/08 3:33:21 PM#18
Originally posted by girlgeek
Originally posted by TwilightEdge

The combat doesn;t slow down game.. you have only 30 seconds to give orders to 9 characters.. when you're in a team there is all the tim someone attackng, casting spell etc. I was really surpriced how fast combat felt.

Btw. This game really reminds me of Heroes of might and magic.. The cities, world.. there aren;t big empty fields.. everywhere you will find npc's, buildings and something to do. In HoMM you had so many buildings, artifacts etc. to find on a world map.. when I play AO I feel the same, that I can find so many interesting places to visit.

 

You mean you have to control NINE characters at one time???  I don't think I'd like that.  I didn't realize that.  I thought you just controlled your own single character.

 

 

well.. you don't control all nine characters all the time. when you run around doing quests and stuff, you're alone. the other characters, you get to control only during the battle. besides, it's just one aspect of the game, you can't let it ruin the others. :)

  Slappan

Novice Member

Joined: 9/23/08
Posts: 290

10/02/08 7:44:24 AM#19

The 9 mercenaries being controlled at the same time isn't as intimidating as it seems. First of all, you start off with only around 3-4 mercenaries, giving the player more than enough time to familiarize themselves with the battle system. Especially since the battle system is the only place where you actually control the mercenaries. All the other stuff like exploring, trading etc, just uses your hero character.

  dl1984

Novice Member

Joined: 10/01/08
Posts: 4

10/02/08 8:50:35 AM#20
Originally posted by girlgeek

This is one game that I actually haven't tried yet!  What has stopped me from "checking it out" is the turn-based style of combat.  So....I have to ask you guys....does it seem to slow the game down a lot and make it all feel less fluid?  Because that has been what has kept me away, basically, the concern about the fluidity and possible negative affect on a feeling of immersion, that turn-based combat might have.

The battle system has a time limit integrated to it as in Final Fantasy but the gameplay of the battle is pretty much the same as disciples 2 with a total of 9 controlled character with 1 hero in the party. Now, the 15-30 seconds time  limit is more than enought for you to give orders of attack and magic. Plus the game also has a party system where 2 party that can have upto 9 characters each can fight a single group of enemy of nine.

Trust us when we say that this doesn't slow the game or even give you an unsatifying experience. The excitement, thrill and fun it gives is well balanced and pretty much makes you wanna play more.

Plus there are a lot of other features of the game that one will want to play more. There is the economic philisophies applied, the setting of the game and even the unending possibilities that you can do ingame.

So we hope we see you in game soon.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search