Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Diablo 3 | EVE Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,625 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,952
SilentFuture UG | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:SilentFuture UG
PVP:Yes | Distribution: | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Earthrise Forum » General Discussion » Earthrise shutting down today

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
63 posts found
  Gabby-air

Tipster

2/18/12 2:11:16 AM#41

Not really surprising but always hurts to see a game shut down, like the fact Masthead was frank about the situation though. 

Broomy

Novice Member

2/19/12 7:42:43 AM#42

Sad, but I tried to play ER several times, even bought the game, but it was impossible for me to play.  The lag and FPS were atrocious.  I dont think I even got out of the starter areas. 

Hate to say it but its going to take a developer with $$$ like Blizzard to make a AAA Sandbox game.  OR, a developer is going to have to take CCPs approach, start small and build a following over many years. 

Current Games: Casually playing LOTRO

dinams

Novice Member

2/19/12 7:46:20 AM#43

Already?

"It has potential"
-Second most used phrase on existence
"It sucks"
-Most used phrase on existence

Karahandras

Advanced Member

All it takes for evil to succeed is for the good to stand by and do nothing

2/24/12 12:16:04 PM#44
Originally posted by BlackUhuru
Yes there is a indie studio making innovative sandbox game!!

It's called Pathfinder Online from Goblinworks, there back by Paizo one of the worlds leaders in all things PnP rpg's.

So the doom and gloom from Mr. Atanas Atanasov is not true.

The reason why in the last 8 years no one can seem to make a good sandbox game is because they have no idea what there doing.

User Deleted
2/26/12 10:37:57 PM#45
Originally posted by Karahandras
  The reason why in the last 8 years no one can seem to make a good sandbox game is because they have no idea what there doing.

I think that statement is close.

I would make it more specific by saying:

The reason no one has made a good sandbox is because they fail to focus on the basics

This excludes EvE, since...well that game is a diffrent breed..less RPG more strategy.

When we see sandbox after sandbox fail...as we have for the last 8 years...its not because they just didnt know how to do the sandbox part...its becasue they focus on sandbox features and completely ignore or botch the basic game mechanics.  Running/jumping/fighting  basic systems...sability of the client...latency....all these things kill otherwise great games.

How many sandboxes launched with a dream list of features and a place holder combat system?

What killed Earthrise was that its basic function as a game failed.  Everything related to fighting, exploring, and player interaction was not functional.  The sandbox mechanics crafting and game rules were great, as was the lore and IP/setting.

People dont want a great crafting system, sandbox game rules, and a nice and interesting setting if the actual game they play inside this world is crap.

This is why Darkfall keeps on trucking...has the funds and ability to completely remake the game as a 2.0 sandbox.  While the game is less sandbox as it is a combat and pvp game..it got the basics right.  Your able to play the game and stuff works, its combat is fun....the problem with that game is that they got some of the sandbox mechanics wrong (mainly everyone can be the best of every roll and skill within one fight) as well as some mechanical harshness that drive new players away. 

See what was diffrent between earthrise, mortal online, xyson, dawntide...ect and Darkfall.  One game has a basic mechaics that worked and later fixed the ruleset and systems and even the world...the other games had the rule set, world, and sand but no functioning game within it...no combat that was entertaining...no basic game.  One is doing fine (yes the pop is low by todays blockbuster themeparks standards)

So long rant short.....

Please for the love of god if your an indy developer....make the basics work before launch...combat/stability/latency.  People will stay and support you if you give them a game to play while you try to get terraforming/layer housing/...whatever fluff people want in the game...

The big sandbox hit is going to come onto the scene with this...a working engin and combat system....its not going to start with a good rule set and a great vision with a place holder combat system and a unstable client that has latency issues.

User Deleted
2/26/12 10:43:23 PM#46

There is no "BIG" sandbox audience its a niche market but one that can be profitable if done right the problem is developers release to early run out of money or expect to much.   I'd love a sandbox fantasy MMO that was fun and stable but it doesnt exist and probably never will since big publishers see 1 thing money and that type of game wont bring the investors the big $ they want back from the investment.

Honestly I think one of blizzards new titles may very well be a sandbox MMO why ?  Because they're not going to make a game that competes directly with WOW (theme park Fantasy MMO)  Also they dont need as many investors since wow produces enough revenue to fund the development of almost any game.

potapithikos

Novice Member

2/29/12 9:07:27 AM#47
Originally posted by William12

There is no "BIG" sandbox audience its a niche market but one that can be profitable if done right the problem is developers release to early run out of money or expect to much.   I'd love a sandbox fantasy MMO that was fun and stable but it doesnt exist and probably never will since big publishers see 1 thing money and that type of game wont bring the investors the big $ they want back from the investment.

Honestly I think one of blizzards new titles may very well be a sandbox MMO why ?  Because they're not going to make a game that competes directly with WOW (theme park Fantasy MMO)  Also they dont need as many investors since wow produces enough revenue to fund the development of almost any game.

Roflmao

Vryheid

Novice Member

2/29/12 9:13:13 AM#48

Indie developers aim too high on technical aspects when creating sandbox games and MMOs. They shouldn't be afraid to use simplistic graphics if that means they can focus on having functional gameplay and making sure that runs decently on a variety of computers.

User Deleted
3/04/12 8:09:59 AM#49
Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Arquiteto
Bulgarian developer Masthead Studios announced earlier today that they're shutting down the servers for their post-apocalyptic sandbox MMO Earthrise.

"There is a huge interest in high quality open world sandbox MMORPGs, unfortunately the big publishers do not show any interest in the genre."

Huge interest, really?

If you can't treat your game as a business, you do not deserve to be on the market.

There is enough interest in an open world sandbox,

The recent example of an "almost-but-not quite" successful sandbox MMO is Perpetuum Online. It was fun for a little while. But the deal breaker for me, wasn't even about the game, I quit because the developers had given a clearly large and unfair ingame headstart to a particular player corp who used it to establish undeniable and unquestionable control. I refused to pay them money to BE somene else's content. 

PO came out of the gate running and looking good. It had gotten a lot of people to try it. The word on the street was positive. Things looked good. People say it lost it's momentum because "Everyone went back to EVE" but I don't think that's it. The devs took too long to release early and needed content combined with the scandal that the devs were giving preferential treatment to a particular player corp. That corp had an unfair head start advantage that few others had. You couldn't beat them so if you joined them, you had to agree to play their game when they told you, go where they told you to go, do what they told you to do, they told you what equipment you could use, how to build your toon........Really????  KTHXBAI!!!

Either with or against them, the feeling was that I was paying to BE someone else's contnet. That's why it didn't make it big.

Sadly, that part didn't have to happen. I think the devs were selfish, but not fo rthe money, they wanted to dominate in their own game.  People won't pay to be dominated......well, not in an MMO anyway.

I think the comment about not knowing what they are doing is spot on.

Earthrise failed because it wasn't finished. Not because there is a lack of interest in sandboxes

Arezon

Apprentice Member

3/04/12 8:58:56 AM#50

Yeah it sucks that Earthrise is closing down but I'm not surprised really. I bought the game hoping for something fresh. I didn't mind it was buggy. I didn'g get past the first free month. But it just wasn't fun to play, plain and simple. 

TruthXHurts

Novice Member

I am here to chew bubblegum and to kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum!

3/04/12 9:02:47 AM#51
Originally posted by Vryheid

Indie developers aim too high on technical aspects when creating sandbox games and MMOs. They shouldn't be afraid to use simplistic graphics if that means they can focus on having functional gameplay and making sure that runs decently on a variety of computers.

People say that, but there are several really well done sandboxes that have poor graphics. Trust me people say they want gameplay, but they really want shiny graphics.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Oberholzer

Advanced Member

3/04/12 9:13:09 AM#52
Originally posted by TruthXHurts
Originally posted by Vryheid

People say that, but there are several really well done sandboxes that have poor graphics. Trust me people say they want gameplay, but they really want shiny graphics.

I think people want both. I agree there's a segment of players that can get sucked in by fancy graphics but at this point I don't think it's wrong for folks to want great gameplay along with appealing graphics. Gamers shouldn't have to sacrifice one for the outher. Of course finding games like this to chose from is another story.
  Isasis

Apprentice Member

3/04/12 11:44:58 AM#53

I posted this in the general gaming topic about this...but in case that gets locked/deleted, since that particular thread doesn't tend to fit there...I'll re-post this here as well

Almost every indie sandbox game fails...why?

1. So many bugs

2. So much unfinished content and content that is listed as a feature, but isn't in-game

3. Most are pure PvP for some reason, there is a lot of players wanting a PvE sandbox (judging by various forums, including this one)

4. Did I mention every indie sandbox game I've seen, has unfinished content and is lacking features? EVE was the same at release, but I guess it was unique enough that it grew into a solid playerbase...an exception and it was also in earlier times when people didn't expect a feature complete, non-buggy game

5. So many bugs...

A successful sandbox game will most likely be made by an AAA company, not an indie one that has too limited of funds for a large sandbox game. Sadly, AAA companies only want to cash in on WoW or make their MMO a singleplayer pay to play RPG.

Also, singleplayer sandboxes (like Minecraft) are vastly different than MMORPG sandboxes. Indie singleplayer sandbox games tend to be a lot more successful, for whatever reason. I guess because MMOs are huge and cost tons of money to make.

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheExplorium

MMORPG.com is like 4chan, but for gamers.

WoW already does WoW good.

PvPers that gank newbies, are carebears. They don't want a challenge (like a carebear), they just want easy mode (like a carebear) and a no challenge combat (like a carebear).

mgilbrtsn

Spotlight Poster

He who fights and runs away... misses out on the loot

3/04/12 11:52:59 AM#54

A shame it ended this way.  Before release, I was really looking forward to it.  Sadly, they rushed it, and like so many others, killed it.  RIP

They are coming for you!

BereKin

Novice Member

3/04/12 1:58:28 PM#55
Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

A shame it ended this way.  Before release, I was really looking forward to it.  Sadly, they rushed it, and like so many others, killed it.  RIP

You could not said it any better. At least I hope they will learn something from this.

eyeswideopen

Tipster

3/04/12 2:30:16 PM#56

The good part is, since Bethesda took the mmo rights to Fallout back from Interplay, these Masthead fools don't get achance to ruin it also.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
-And on the 8th day, man created God.-

SirBalin

Warmonger

3/05/12 5:39:19 PM#57
Originally posted by eyeswideopen

The good part is, since Bethesda took the mmo rights to Fallout back from Interplay, these Masthead fools don't get achance to ruin it also.

This is actually ashame.  Theres no doubt the game was broke, but man did it have potential.  They just needed stronger devs...

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

6SlipKnoT6

Novice Member

3/31/12 7:20:19 AM#58

I'm from Bulgaria and I know for a fact from ex Masthead employee, that their artists and ideas were awesome, however they didn't have good programmers. 

theblurch

Spotlight Poster

3/31/12 10:16:50 AM#59

This game sucked.  Good riddance.

User Deleted
3/31/12 10:22:30 AM#60

not surprised, MO may be next

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search