Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Gigantic | Landmark

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,851,740 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,225,895
Paragon Studios
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 04/27/04)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

12 posts found
  silverseed71

Novice Member

Joined: 1/21/12
Posts: 37

 
OP  9/24/12 12:52:09 PM#1

I am a City of Heroes worshipper. I was literally heartbroken when I found out NCSoft was shutting us down. I have played since 2005-06. I laughed at the concept of this game when I first heard about it by my friends, but then I joined and have been an avid member ever since. I introduced it to my 4 year old daughter back in 2009 and she has been playing ever since.

 

Anyhow, where are all of you going next? I am downloading Champions Online but I wonder to myself, why is this game still living when COH is dying?

I have played some on Rift and really like it but of course, it is still not COH.

 

What will fill the COH void?

 

  gandales

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 465

9/24/12 1:04:02 PM#2
Originally posted by silverseed71

I am a City of Heroes worshipper. I was literally heartbroken when I found out NCSoft was shutting us down. I have played since 2005-06. I laughed at the concept of this game when I first heard about it by my friends, but then I joined and have been an avid member ever since. I introduced it to my 4 year old daughter back in 2009 and she has been playing ever since.

 

Anyhow, where are all of you going next? I am downloading Champions Online but I wonder to myself, why is this game still living when COH is dying?

I have played some on Rift and really like it but of course, it is still not COH.

 

What will fill the COH void?

 

There are many choices: CO, Rift, Wow, GW2, DCUO, etc. However, you should try to not look CoH in other games. Each games is different with its own share of good and bad things.

Games can be like girlfriends, if you look your ex-girlfriend in the new one, you won't be able to have a good relationship. So if CoH cannot be saved you should move on with your gaming life.

  silverseed71

Novice Member

Joined: 1/21/12
Posts: 37

 
OP  9/24/12 1:13:00 PM#3
I know. I just want the type of community that COH brought. Rift is looking really good. I haven't tried GW or GW2. I did try WoW but wasn't interested. I am downloading CO now. What is DCUO?
  gandales

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 465

9/24/12 1:28:58 PM#4
Originally posted by silverseed71
I know. I just want the type of community that COH brought. Rift is looking really good. I haven't tried GW or GW2. I did try WoW but wasn't interested. I am downloading CO now. What is DCUO?

In CO there are one or more SGs composed by recent ex-CoH players. If you start playing join the channel CoX and you will find people that migrated from CoH the last few weeks plus some CO veterans(most of them played CoH at some point) that are helping the wave of newcomers.

DCUO is DC Universe Online. It's the 3rd superhero mmo. Some people like it others no so much. it has its charm especially if you play with a gamepad but it is pretty consolish for a lot of pc gamers.

  silverseed71

Novice Member

Joined: 1/21/12
Posts: 37

 
OP  9/25/12 7:35:59 PM#5
Ok, I tried CO, and what is up with the aweful graphics?
  Tokken

Hard Core Member

Joined: 3/06/04
Posts: 890

"I'm your Huckleberry!"

9/25/12 7:39:07 PM#6
I loved CoX. I hope they can make another game like it in the future.

UO, EQ, DAoC, SWG, WOW, EQ2, CoH, CoX, VG, Aion, STO, CO, DCUO, LOTRO, Tera, SWTOR, GW2, DP, NW, TSW, MH, DDO, Rift, WS, ESO, Trove, LM

  gandales

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 465

9/26/12 5:12:13 AM#7
Originally posted by silverseed71
Ok, I tried CO, and what is up with the aweful graphics?

if you mean the comic outlining, I don't like it either.  You can turn it off by going to the video settings and getting into the customize/advance configuration.

  superniceguy

Elite Member

Joined: 2/17/07
Posts: 2277

NGE, LOTRO, STO, KOTOR, Lego Star Wars > NGE 2 (SWTOR). SWG>ALL. Above hopefully subject to change.

9/26/12 7:03:53 AM#8

Star Trek Online is where some of the Paragon Studios devs are going to.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/news/page/1/read/25593/Star-Trek-Online-State-of-the-Game-Letter-Published.html

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=689581

"The team continues to grow. We’ve been very lucky to land some great talent from 38 Studios and Paragon Studios. As these new team members come up to speed on the game, they will be adding their own personality and style to the game and they are very excited to show you what they can do."

 

STO I think will be my main game. You can choose to play it single player or multiplayer, and it is one of the very few games I like to play with other people. City of Heroes I only tend to play that with my friends, and as they are not around at the moment it usually on my own. In STO you can join mass PVE battles and play with many other players helping them take down the enemy. It also has PVP but I am not into that.

It has a mission system similar to City of Heroes, and scales to your level, and generates random missions for you to do, like the Police Radio and Tips.

STO also has a mission creator like the Architect system in CoH

You can also have several NPCs aid you as companions, which is like the Mastermind profession in COH

The only thing where the similarities end is the Super Hero connection.

If I play DCUO it will be on the PS3 as EU PC customers have been forced off to crappy company called ProSieben, but if you are in the US or play the PS3 version then it still with Sony/SOE

I do have a LT sub to CO, so if I play any superhero game then it will be that one, but hopefully someone will buy CoH and keep it going. It seems clear that NC Soft will not be keeping it going, and will be shut down by them before the end of the year.

CO is going because it is does not cost much to operate and run, but COH shutting down has made me wary of any game in the future, especially ones by NC Soft. They change the game F2P last year, no doubt costing them money, and now shuts down already when it is still doing good? They just do too many games, and can't afgford to keep them all running, so one game has to get the chop to bring in the new, and unfortunately that ended up being CoH.

I am certainly not getting involved with any NC Soft games from now on, unless it is called CoH 2, and nor SOE games when have to deal with ProSieben, unless one gets called SWG 2. Despite SWGs closure, which was my favoutrite all time MMO, I do not hold SOE responsible for its demise or closure, that is down to LA and the powerful launch of SWTOR, where they thought SWTOR was going to be their golden goose, and SWG was the Ugly Duckling to be put out of its misery - It did not take long for SWTOR to become uglier than SWG! I am not boycotting SOE for SWG but for ProSieben.

City of heroes was not even my favourite MMO, but its closure baffles me, and due to this, it has made me paranoid aboiut getting involved in other MMOs, especially ones by NC Soft.

I will also play WOW, as the only game I will keep chucking money to each month. I have not played that much in its entire lifetime. Veteran players are no doubt tired of it by now, but there should be nothing to stop new players to it, from getting into it. It is still going strong, and the best MMO out, and today is back at the #2 spot on Xfire :) It is not going to get shut down any time soon.

I willl also carry on playing LOTRO as I have a LT sub to that too. Everything else, especially if it costs money to play, will get ditched.

  gandales

Hard Core Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 465

9/26/12 7:17:38 AM#9
Originally posted by superniceguy

Star Trek Online is where some of the Paragon Studios devs are going to.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/news/page/1/read/25593/Star-Trek-Online-State-of-the-Game-Letter-Published.html

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=689581

"The team continues to grow. We’ve been very lucky to land some great talent from 38 Studios and Paragon Studios. As these new team members come up to speed on the game, they will be adding their own personality and style to the game and they are very excited to show you what they can do."

 

STO I think will be my main game. You can choose to play it single player or multiplayer, and it is one of the very few games I like to play with other people. City of Heroes I only tend to play that with my friends, and as they are not around at the moment it usually on my own. In STO you can join mass PVE battles and play with many other players helping them take down the enemy. It also has PVP but I am not into that.

It has a mission system similar to City of Heroes, and scales to your level, and generates random missions for you to do, like the Police Radio and Tips.

STO also has a mission creator like the Architect system in CoH

You can also have several NPCs aid you as companions, which is like the Mastermind profession in COH

The only thing where the similarities end is the Super Hero connection.

If I play DCUO it will be on the PS3 as EU PC customers have been forced off to crappy company called ProSieben, but if you are in the US or play the PS3 version then it still with Sony/SOE

I do have a LT sub to CO, so if I play any superhero game then it will be that one, but hopefully someone will buy CoH and keep it going. It seems clear that NC Soft will not be keeping it going, and will be shut down by them before the end of the year.

CO is going because it is does not cost much to operate and run, but COH shutting down has made me wary of any game in the future, especially ones by NC Soft. They change the game F2P last year, no doubt costing them money, and now shuts down already when it is still doing good? They just do too many games, and can't afgford to keep them all running, so one game has to get the chop to bring in the new, and unfortunately that ended up being CoH.

I am certainly not getting involved with any NC Soft games from now on, unless it is called CoH 2, and nor SOE games when have to deal with ProSieben, unless one gets called SWG 2. Despite SWGs closure, which was my favoutrite all time MMO, I do not hold SOE responsible for its demise or closure, that is down to LA and the powerful launch of SWTOR, where they thought SWTOR was going to be their golden goose, and SWG was the Ugly Duckling to be put out of its misery - It did not take long for SWTOR to become uglier than SWG! I am not boycotting SOE for SWG but for ProSieben.

City of heroes was not even my favourite MMO, but its closure baffles me, and due to this, it has made me paranoid aboiut getting involved in other MMOs, especially ones by NC Soft.

I will also play WOW, as the only game I will keep chucking money to each month. I have not played that much in its entire lifetime. Veteran players are no doubt tired of it by now, but there should be nothing to stop new players to it, from getting into it. It is still going strong, and the best MMO out, and today is back at the #2 spot on Xfire :) It is not going to get shut down any time soon.

I willl also carry on playing LOTRO as I have a LT sub to that too. Everything else, especially if it costs money to play, will get ditched.

While my main game is CO, I also play STO. It is a lot of fun especially for star trek fans. One nice feature on Cryptic games which I hope will include NWO, is that custom channels are crossgame, i.e. that I can talk to my group in STO while playing CO and viceversa.

About wow, I like it very much, but raiding takes too much time that unfortunately I dont have. I am thinking to get it for a couple of months to level a new char and stop before serious raiding starts but I am afraid to get caught into the raiding trek

  cityofheroessave

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/27/13
Posts: 25

6/27/13 2:16:45 AM#10
I am wating for Ncsoft to go Under. and have some one buy off City of Heroes freedom as a liquation.
  craftseeker

Novice Member

Joined: 4/11/09
Posts: 627

6/27/13 2:20:32 AM#11

Question:  Does"City of Heroes" utilise third party intellectual property such as characters from comics or books?

If it does so your problem may not be with NC Soft or the profitability of the game but with the owner of the IP who is unwilling to continue to license it or is charging such a high license fee that NC Soft is unwilling or unable to pay for it.

  User Deleted
6/27/13 2:46:25 AM#12

NCsoft owns all of it. Simple explanation is that CoH was losing subscribers and the overhead for running Paragon Studios, the developers of the game, was eating too heavily into revenue so they just shut it down to save money.

Many people, including myself, believe there may still be something more behind the shutdown but any definitive information supporting this belief has yet to surface.