Trending Games | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,942 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,667
Paragon Studios
MMORPG | Genre:Super-Hero | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 04/27/04)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC Mac | Out of date info? Let us know!

City of Heroes Forum » Paragon City Hall (General) » WTF City of Heroes is DEAD !

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

6/30/13 3:56:02 PM#21
Most of the people who bemoan it's closing were not playing it at the time. Yet they wonder why NC shut it down.

"The discrepancy between what we know is possible and what we currently have to choose from is beyond disappointing" - GeezerGamer
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

TeknoBug

Novice Member

6/30/13 4:11:29 PM#22

Originally posted by Kyleran
Most of the people who bemoan it's closing were not playing it at the time. Yet they wonder why NC shut it down.

Here's what I remember what happened, not long after the game went F2P on most weekends Protector, Virtue and Freedom were nearly full. I figured the profit fell through the floor once it went F2P because there weren't many things worth buying in the cash shop.

But once the announcement of closing CoH happened, the servers basically emptied out, Freedom was the emptiest I ever saw in the last 4-5 months and became discouraging to even log in.

Sugoi-chan

Novice Member

6/30/13 4:35:45 PM#23

CoH was my home away from home for the entire 8-1/2 years it was active, with my longest period of inactivity being about a 2 week period when real life stuff took precedence.  CoH itself may have been shut down due to NCS's internal policies, but there are at least 3 fan-driven replacements in the works right now in various stages of  operability.  Quite fitting for one of the classic memes of comic books... "They're Dead?  Nah... They'll be back in a few issues, and better than before!"

Looking forward to assisting in beta testing The Phoenix Project, Heroes and Villains, and Valiance Online (not necessarily in that order.)

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,170.0.html

And anyone who still has CoH Issue 23 or 24 (Beta) installed on their system can use the Icon program to site see and tinker with the old game, although it's in solo mode only.  And things are a lot quieter in Paragon City since all those meddling Hero and Villain groups vanished.  A lot of people have been taking photos of their favorite characters as individual and group shots.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

Squeak69

Apprentice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

6/30/13 4:42:35 PM#24
Originally posted by Sukiyaki
Originally posted by Yizle
Originally posted by M1sf1t

I'm am in by no means a NCSoft fanboy as most of their games do not appeal to me. However I'm pretty sure this isn't just a NCSoft issue. If a company cannot find a way to profit off a game they will shut it down. NCSoft isn't the first company to do this after all and MMO's are business in the end.

PS. Having tried and played Auto-assault and Tabula Rasa I can say with a fact that they were both games that had good premises but horrible execution at launch by the developers who made those games. They died because they were not profitable and were not gaining any subs and thus no publisher or developer would justify pouring money into a product that effectively failed in the marketplace.

Actually from the financial reports released by the company CoH was turning a profit.

Actually from the financial reports released by the company its not possible to see CoH was turning a profit. Neither reasonable profits,nor straight profits. So you might stop claiming that.

try again it was turning a profit, a lot of people beleave something else was going on behond the scenes especially when they refused to sell it, they claim to have done everything possible to hand it over to someone else, but their asking price was 80 mil, which is way above its estimaded value considering it only turned a profit of around a handful of mil per year, at the time of closeing.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

Squeak69

Apprentice Member

cheese cheese wheres da bloody cheese

6/30/13 4:44:06 PM#25

I was playing it at launch and played it till close and the only breaks I tok where due to deployments.

that aside, CoH F2P was prob the most generose F2P I have seen to date for a MMO.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used to
Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

slygamer1979

Apprentice Member

OP  8/20/13 9:40:24 PM#26

Thinking about it i wonder if NCSoft did the F2P on purpose knowing the game wouldn't survive so they had reason to shut it down and i notice the new game WildStar shows up not long after which makes me really think this was all planned.

i smell conspiracy !

another possibility is if the dev's could bring the game back with updated graphics and all and repackage and sell it as a new mmo.

I was looking forward to playing i just got the itch to play my characters again and when i looked at the site months ago it was it was closed already and now i can never get to play as a hero/villian the way i want to ever again and don't hand me that crap that DCUO is close i say screw that ! and as for champs online that just looks sad to me.

I would've figured if F2P wasn't working out they could've went back to P2P i would've gladly paid a monthly fee to play again.

OSF8759

Novice Member

8/30/13 2:45:55 PM#27

QFT

And despite what fanboys say, NCsoft is on record as saying the studio was losing money. The business model they chose when going f2p was bad, so bad in fact that CoH is one of the very few games to continue losing money after a f2p transition.

CoH was a great game that simply lost its player base over time. The gaming world just passed it by.

CoHemu is coming though.

Drakephire

Apprentice Member

8/30/13 2:51:29 PM#28
Originally posted by Yizle
Originally posted by M1sf1t

Originally posted by MMORPGtester
This is what NC soft does with ALL there games once there revenue drops below a set threshhold. This is also why it is not wise to invest any time or money into a game they produce. This is sad because some of there games that were terminated were simply ahead of there time.

(RIP)Auto Assault NetDevil MMO Closed August 31, 2007. Dungeon Runners NCSOFT MMO Closed January 1, 2010. Dragonica (Korean Server) Gravity Corp. Casual MMO Closed July 13, 2011. Exteel NCSOFT (E&G Studios) TPS Closed September 1, 2010. Point Blank (Korean Server) Zepetto FPS Closed July 13, 2011. Tabula Rasa Destination Games MMO Closed February 28, 2009. City of Heroes Paragon Studios MMO Closed November 30, 2012 

I'm am in by no means a NCSoft fanboy as most of their games do not appeal to me. However I'm pretty sure this isn't just a NCSoft issue. If a company cannot find a way to profit off a game they will shut it down. NCSoft isn't the first company to do this after all and MMO's are business in the end.

PS. Having tried and played Auto-assault and Tabula Rasa I can say with a fact that they were both games that had good premises but horrible execution at launch by the developers who made those games. They died because they were not profitable and were not gaining any subs and thus no publisher or developer would justify pouring money into a product that effectively failed in the marketplace.

Actually from the financial reports released by the company CoH was turning a profit.

EA did the same thing with Earth and Beyond. It was turning a profit as well, but EA killed it because it wasn't enough profit.

Saur0n

Advanced Member

8/30/13 2:52:04 PM#29
Either make an emulator or move on with your life.  The game is gone.  Get over it already...
  Arskaaa

Apprentice Member

Your chararacter gains experience and levels up, defining a role playing game.

8/30/13 2:53:28 PM#30
hahaha! i remember playing auto assault:D
2 Pages « 1 2 Search