Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,350 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,347
Stainglass Llama Studios | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Stainglass Llama Studios
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Retail | Retail Price:n/a | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Divergence Forum » General Discussion » First Player Island Shown

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
25 posts found
  DrinkFeck

Novice Member

Sir!? The radar sir.. it appears to be.. jammed!

4/12/13 1:33:14 PM#21
Originally posted by DrinkFeck
Originally posted by EthanC
Originally posted by Shakkles
Would be nice to see a video of some of the features that are apparently complete.

What apparently complete features?

As quoted from 2007.

"It's damn depressing to pretty much have a completed product in high demand; to be 90% there and unable to come the last 10% simply because of the lack of petty cash."

That was 6 years ago and the product was apparently 90% there. Surely there would be more to show for it then an island?

There's a simple explanation for that actually.

That was with the game we built with our previous engine. We had so much done it was ridiculous but for the next four years we watched the features we needed pushed back further and further on it's roadmap until it became apparent that it wasn't happening. And the features we're talking about are extremely basic, such as being able to have more than two textures on any terrain surface blended at a time and a world size severely limited by an inability to stitch terrains together at their borders. Regardless of how many tricks of camerawork you come up with, it just wasn't acceptable and players would have figured it out very quickly.

So the decision was made to start over and that's where our Indiegogo campaign takes over.

I go out of my way to avoid "badmouthing" former software partners, but when you figure just how long we waited for basic support of basic features, I figure we don't owe them anything at this point. The new software works amazing and performs even better, so there's nothing we're "waiting for" this time around, except the manpower to accelerate it's development.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. Thanks for your understanding and support.

-Ethan

Do you feel you have any features, mechanics or basic functionalities available to showcase a little more about the game?

Take that as a NO then.

Fraden

Novice Member

Why am I even typing this?

4/13/13 2:24:35 AM#22
Originally posted by EthanC
Originally posted by Shakkles
Would be nice to see a video of some of the features that are apparently complete.

What apparently complete features?

As quoted from 2007.

"It's damn depressing to pretty much have a completed product in high demand; to be 90% there and unable to come the last 10% simply because of the lack of petty cash."

That was 6 years ago and the product was apparently 90% there. Surely there would be more to show for it then an island?

There's a simple explanation for that actually.

That was with the game we built with our previous engine. We had so much done it was ridiculous but for the next four years we watched the features we needed pushed back further and further on it's roadmap until it became apparent that it wasn't happening. And the features we're talking about are extremely basic, such as being able to have more than two textures on any terrain surface blended at a time and a world size severely limited by an inability to stitch terrains together at their borders. Regardless of how many tricks of camerawork you come up with, it just wasn't acceptable and players would have figured it out very quickly.

So the decision was made to start over and that's where our Indiegogo campaign takes over.

I go out of my way to avoid "badmouthing" former software partners, but when you figure just how long we waited for basic support of basic features, I figure we don't owe them anything at this point. The new software works amazing and performs even better, so there's nothing we're "waiting for" this time around, except the manpower to accelerate it's development.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion. Thanks for your understanding and support.

-Ethan

Do you feel you have any features, mechanics or basic functionalities available to showcase a little more about the game?

Take that as a NO then.

You need to chill out and understand that they had to completely switch to a new engine. All the footage that was there before, was from the "Pre-Engine Upgrade" Cleary stated across the bottom of both videos.

Obviously that have to rework the features after a big change from that. Give it time. The biggest part is they have the plan down, they know what they want to do unlike funding projects out there like "Embers of Caerus" and "Camelot Unchained" who just say stuff and release dev blogs of themselves talking and a bunch of crappy concept art.

(It sucks you dont wanna see it)

Fallbreaker1

Novice Member

4/14/13 3:04:57 AM#23

I am pumped for this game. I think because the dev really is only less then 5 people at the moment we should give them some space to grow, while keeping a sharp eye on things. SGL did do a complete upgrade of the graphics and engine (I believe) only in the last year, so being at 90% done and then going back and doing it all better again could be the reason for that delay.

I think Ethan just needs more peopel doing more things on his team, so more written material and videos can get out quicker, more PR, that kind of stuff. At the moment the team is working almost exclusively on the game and just fitting in PR when they have time which must be tough.

Kwon

Advanced Member

4/22/13 2:02:16 PM#24
I cant wait for my land grab.  WIsh I had $500 to spare for an island, but this will do nicely.
  chakalaka

Hard Core Member

The thing is... you're important to a lot of people.

4/22/13 2:12:38 PM#25
This looks sooooo goood and just seems like gameplay within would be so fun! The fluidity at such an early stage in development is great! Woot.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search