Trending Games | Pirate101 | Guild Wars 2 | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,169 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,055
Aion (Aion)
NCSoft | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 09/22/09)  | Pub:NCSoft
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Aion Forum » General Discussion » My experience in Aion and why I'm playing it now.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
40 posts found
  Abuz0r

Apprentice Member

OP  7/09/13 7:58:42 AM#1

I have plenty of friends on Israphel server, my legion (guild) is not recruiting as we have everything we need and excessive applicants to fill roles if they open.  I'm only making this post because I understand the frustration experienced on this website after countless downloads, installs, and uninstalls.

Aion is famous for a difficult grind to the top.   With the 4.0 expansion, the grind was significantly nerfed (about 45%).  Which I think for a mature game  is appropriate.

Aion features a lot of really unique combat mechanics such as Jump-shot, Slide-shot, Weaving, and Air-combat. 

4 Years ago I quit Aion because I decided that I badly hated NCSoft.  Aion being a Faction based game, balance is important.  It became apparent to me after about 8 months of playing Aion that one faction (Which happened to have 60% more population on EVERY SERVER) had a laundry list of advantages.  They had prettier zones, prettier models, nicer looking gear, more world bosses, easier quests.

I downloaded, installed, and played every new MMO that rolled through these forums sinking about 600$ per year. 

Out of frustration, I remembered Aion as a playable MMO that was really fun just imbalanced.  I re-installed.  MY my what a surprise. Faction incentives to help balance, new content, improved features.

What really amazed me is how quickly players can level cap.

I guess you have to know how to do it. The new classes came out on June 26th.  A week later right before the 4th of July holiday, I saw a couple of level 65 (capped) Songweavers and Gunslingers (These are the new classes).

The new dungeons are so hard, very few people have ever completed them yet.  The new PVP gear requires involvement in world PVP with world PVP daily quests all over the new zones.  The elite pvp gear requires significant contribution in fortress sieges, a unique feature in Aion unparalleled even by Blizzard.

Remember Vanilla WOW, that pvp ladder system? It exists in Aion, although it is more cut and dry and you can see your standing.  There are unique armor and abilities and even weapons for the players near the top.  It's a ladder I never plan to climb, but it's there if you're hardcore.  The people who participate in this ladder and achieve the top ranks have superior gear, but it is not game-breaking for other players.

Best of all?  For it's age, Aion is populated and energetic.  New players are anxious to help.  There's a mentoring system where level capped players can take you around and help you grind quests or monsters and contribute all of their EXP to your toon.  They even receive rewards for doing it.

This game is worth the free download, and is really fun, and will put an end to your frustration for as long as your ADHD will allow you to focus :D
  Thane

Hard Core Member

I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

7/09/13 8:04:34 AM#2

well, incase you wonder why some people (including me) stopped playing, it's fairly simple:

because they totaly nerfed rifting.

loved that idea, and it was totaly cool in the early days. then we got this "malus" bullsh** and actually rifting became quite useless after that.

also we then got that "wintrading" in the abyss..... well.... was enough for me :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Zarriya

Novice Member

7/09/13 8:05:57 AM#3
I played from beta and quit a few month after launch.  I came back last week and am curently at level 33.  I wanted to add that they added a TON of new quests. At a new hub you pick up more quests than I have every seen in an mmo.  It seemed they listened to their players requests for more quests.

sharpshade

Novice Member

7/09/13 8:16:09 AM#4

I haven't played Aion in a very long time but the reason I stopped was because eventually, I hit my mid 20's and the only way to level was PvP. I'm not a PvP person and it was either PvP or grind for days to reach the next few levels where I'd be able to do the quests in my quest book.

If I no longer have to PvP to hit level cap, I would definitely give Aion another try. Does anyone know if PvP is still practically mandatory or if you have to non-stop grind mobs to level?

sharpshade

Novice Member

7/09/13 8:16:09 AM#5
eek sorry double post...
  Abuz0r

Apprentice Member

OP  7/09/13 5:29:23 PM#6

I don't understand what you mean by having to pvp to level up.  There is no XP gain for PVP and you can play in Aion without ever participating in PvP if you choose, other than world PVP which can be surprisingly unavoidable.  I think you must have in confused with another game.

Also, the first level where you can interact with players of the opposing faction is after you complete your abyss entry quest at level 25.  Then you have an abyss leveling path or a faction leveling path, either way, you PvE to level, one way just has a lot more exposure to world pvp than the other. 

You don't commit to one path or the other, if you want to do abyss quests go to the abyss, if you get tired of pvping and want relaxing PvE where you have a lot less chance of getting ganked you just head to your faction zone and pick up a quest.

Anyways, it's a lot of fun.

Sovrath

Elite Member

7/09/13 5:35:10 PM#7
Originally posted by sharpshade

I haven't played Aion in a very long time but the reason I stopped was because eventually, I hit my mid 20's and the only way to level was PvP. I'm not a PvP person and it was either PvP or grind for days to reach the next few levels where I'd be able to do the quests in my quest book.

If I no longer have to PvP to hit level cap, I would definitely give Aion another try. Does anyone know if PvP is still practically mandatory or if you have to non-stop grind mobs to level?

That's not true.

At launch I hit something like level 32 (in two days of hard playing so "yes" I refute the hard leveling claim on this game) and only pvp'ed when the enemy entered the area. Certainly not enough to get a fracion of a level's xp. (edit: I think pvp xp was added a little later in the game so we got abyss points for pvp)

I'm not sure where you are getting that.

In any case, you certainly don't have to pvp to level. Currently I have a character in the early 40's and have yet to take it into pvp.

Rusque

Elite Member

7/09/13 5:42:51 PM#8

I stopped because getting ganked from any direction became too much to bear. I don't even remember my max char, level 37-38 probably. I really liked it too, but flight + ranged classes = me dead with no idea where I'm being shot from. They just hide on a pillar or rock, fly up, pew pew, I die and they just go back to hiding.

Well, at least they had fun at the expense of -1 player with a sub (at least back when Aion had subs).

VooDoo_Papa

Hard Core Member

7/09/13 5:48:04 PM#9
i still play now and again. if you like free stuff, roll asmo and Israphael is an awesome asmodian server. youll be lavished with incentives as you level just for being asmo, theres also the atraen atlas that gives both sides rewards as they complete achievements and gives you a nice set of levelling goals to progress through.

Jockan

Hard Core Member

Looking forward to Black Desert, Kingdom Under Fire II and Skyforge.

7/09/13 5:50:04 PM#10
Been looking to try the game since 4.0 so downloading now.

getona

Novice Member

7/09/13 6:01:09 PM#11
Best open world PVP Game other then Dark Fall Unholy Wars (more grindy)
  marz.at.play

Novice Member

nanu nanu

7/09/13 7:37:31 PM#12
I just came back again and loving it wondering why I left in the first place. Fantastic game.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

7/09/13 8:29:18 PM#13

I returned...made a gunslinger and songweaver...levels 24 and 12 respectively.I'm really tired going through the same ole quests with each character.Both classes are interesting,but the game hasn't really grabbed me.

I'll be playing Final Fantasy beta for the next few days,to get a better feel for that game.

EvilestTwin

Advanced Member

7/09/13 9:11:09 PM#14
Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I returned...made a gunslinger and songweaver...levels 24 and 12 respectively.I'm really tired going through the same ole quests with each character.Both classes are interesting,but the game hasn't really grabbed me.

I'll be playing Final Fantasy beta for the next few days,to get a better feel for that game.

Skip all the blue quests and only do campaigns and instances.   Make sure you switch to the fast track server too.   At 25 you can do Noschana Training camp.   You probably only need 1 run to hit 28, and then you can do Fire Temple.   The exp to level has been reduced so much that some of the later campaigns will give you an entire level from the exp reward.   You'll be 50+ in no time.   The first level 65 Gunner only took 16.5 hours to get to max level.

Abuz0r

Apprentice Member

OP  7/11/13 6:18:37 AM#15
Yes, the fast track server is an amazing place to level up, no world pvp there and double XP even from quests.
  Nova700

Apprentice Member

7/14/13 11:57:45 AM#16
I too am playing again.   When the game was released, it was your typical asian grind fest, now that has completely changed.  With Energy of Resolve and Salvation + the fast track server leveling is much easier.  The open world pvp is fun and just going in the abyss has that sense of danger.  I would recommend playing this game again if you have ever played it in the past!
  Voqar

Apprentice Member

8/07/13 3:55:41 AM#17

I'm dinking with Aion and here's my impressions up thru 23 (sorcerer and also have got several others thru the nub lands).

Gold spammers.  The gold spam in Aion makes PWI games look tame and the gold spammers in PWI games look like wannabes.  In Sanctum there is a spammer every 10 feet and every chat channel is flooded.  On top of the "pro" gold spammers the lame private store mechanism allows players to be spammers too!  Walking between the teleportal and broker in town is a gauntless of eyesoreness.

Oddly, they don't let players chat until 20+ but that doesn't stop the spammers.  At all, so the only chat you DO see thru level 20 is gold spammers (unless you mostly disable chat like me) and the occasional uber goober type mentoring or just hanging out in noob lands pretending they're something other than a wuss.  (Never quite understood why high level players hang out in lowbie areas except because maybe mommie doesn't hug em enough and they're desperately seeking attention...dunno...I do know that in ALL MMORPGs I get sick of high level characters babysitting low level pansies and mowing down content for them...if you can't be bothered to actually play games, just don't play, having your babysitter play for you is lame)

Aion's economy seems to be hyperinflated to ridiculous levels so I'm sure lots of scrubs buy gold.  Zero GM/customer support means cheaters don't get banned so hey, why not!  It's F2P and if you're gonna spend you might as well buy millions of currency instead of a freaking vanity pet or bikini...because bikinis make fantasy games that much more immersive.

Character creation is pretty wicked even today compared to most and the graphics have held up well enough.

Gameplay is old schoolish and somehow mostly fun despite having some ancient quest mechanics that make me want to punch a kitten, like quests that have you travel 300 miles to talk to an NPC who has you travel 300 miles to talk to an NPC repeat several times and waste 30 minutes on one quest kind of thing.

I usually make female characters and all my Aion babes are hotties, like my TERA crew.  It's amusing when my wife observes me creating a new alt and she says things like, "her boobs are impossibly large and fake."  To which I reply, it's a game, fantasy boobs don't have to subscribe to the laws of physics or biology.  They can defy gravity.  Double D's for everyone!  Huzzah!  The things wives of gamers have to put up with...

Most classes feel somewhat simplistic to me but I'm guessing there's more to it once you get higher level.

Aion has the worst inventory system of any type of RPG I've ever played.  Bank and shared bank (warehouse) aren't so bad the amazing volumes of junk drop from mobs and the amount of space you have on a character cnly be characterized as dramatically unfun.

As far as F2P goes, and F2P is the worst thing to happen to the MMO genre, the F2P seems fairly tame for Aion.  I'm sure stuff comes up but I haven't felt like I needed to spend anything yet and aside from the incessantly blinking store icon the store isn't in your face.  The store interface itself is amongst the worst ever since it isn't in-game and is a brutally archaic website.

The noob and early zones seem pretty well flooded with players on my server, even late as hell at night, kinda surprising for a game that's been around this long.  Hard to say if it's alts or new players since nobody can freaking chat.  I hate the utterly stupid public chat you endure in most MMORPGs these days, especially F2Ps with ultra low quality players, but being in a complete vacuum might actually be worse.

As someone else stated they did something to content.  I feel like I'm outleveling stuff with ease and it's either stick around overlevel to finish campaign quests or blow everything off and move on.  I did a ton of quests in the first zone and abandoned probably 15-20 leaving it at 23 (you get the punt to zone #2 at 20).  I finished all but one campaign quest...I think.

I find the crafting to be an exercise in pain.  I don't mind an involved system but I like a system where I can produce something useful before I'm 20 levels beyond it and this system seems to material and time intensive that I doubt many pull that off.

Much of Aion feels designed to waste your time, and isn't so well disguised, and that's probably the thing I like the least about it.

I don't know if there are mounts or some kind of speed eventually but lack of any kind of movement speed makes the game drag big time.  Running everywhere in creation at the speed of turtle just doesn't work for me anymore.  It feels too much like an intentional waste of my time.

So, I find Aion to be an interesting diversion to tinker with briefly.  I seriously doubt it's something I'd stick with (even if I wasn't planning on a FFXIV excursion) just because of the monumental time sink feel to it.

I'm also a big fan of immersion and not a big fan of rampant stupidity and it seems like Aion players love to show off their intellects by giving their avatars the dumbest names I've ever seen in years and years of MMOGing.  But then, I can almost understand some of it.  Apparently a LOT of people have tried Aion.  I'd wager that for every somewhat active player there's 20 who are no longer active, and it is a royal pain in the tuckus to try to come up with any decent name for a character.  They really should do something to reclaim names from dormant accounts.

Plus, I'm a guy, I can be a real a-hole, I can be completely off-color amongst friends in poor attempts at humor, etc, but there's a time and place for this kind of stuff - and it's not in an MMORPG played by a lot of people.  The blatant drug-related names (someone please arrest these morons) or the sexist, homophobic, or otherwise offensive names children give their toons gets old.

And of course, being a F2P game, there is no built-in reporting or ticket mechanism, and attempting to get support via external means is an exercise in runaround and misdirection.  The complete lack of dealing with blatant bots, blatant gold spammers, or blatant loser players shows me that the devs and support for Aion checked out long, long ago.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

zlaitves

Novice Member

8/07/13 4:05:34 AM#18

Aion is very close to being a perfect example of the current idea of how a fantasy based MMO should be implemented. I would even suggest Aion might be the climax of the typical design elements of the genre. There was room for 1 more player in fantasy based MMO’s (as long as they were a major player) and Aion has taken up that spot, and definitely pushed some competitors out of the picture by doing so.

Husvik

Apprentice Member

Having fun who cares.

8/07/13 1:52:04 PM#19
Originally posted by zlaitves

Aion is very close to being a perfect example of the current idea of how a fantasy based MMO should be implemented. I would even suggest Aion might be the climax of the typical design elements of the genre. There was room for 1 more player in fantasy based MMO’s (as long as they were a major player) and Aion has taken up that spot, and definitely pushed some competitors out of the picture by doing so.

I can't stop playing.

I stopped in to read what people could possible be complaining about with this completely FREE mmo, i repeat an actual FREE TO PLAY MMO. Of course people can still dream up something to complain about. Anyway went back to playing right after i read what you wrote. It stuck with me how correct you are.

So thanks allot i've actually stopped playing just to come back here and post, as i feel the world should be made aware how much this game ROCKS!!! Do not listen to the whiners with this one, folks. Maybe they are talking about the way it used to be or something,  i dunno, but i know i'm having the best time i've had in years with an mmo.

There are so many ingenious concepts and designs ideas within it kinda blows me away other mmo's aren't doing them. Alt+1 i've got my auto loot baby.

Anyway since Aion doesn't want any of my money thought i'd spread the good word, it's the least i can do.

Seriously after weeks of playing am still waiting for the old proverbial hand to come out wanting cash like EQ2 does at every turn but not Aion. Aion should be the future model of all F2P mmo's, even though i'm not into outfits i'm thinking of buying one just to say...

Thanks Aion for a truly FREE to play mmo!

Edit: The good word is already out anyway judging by the gigantic population of players on every server.

Whew back to playing...

SwashBuccaneer

Novice Member

8/11/13 11:18:00 AM#20
Originally posted by zlaitves

LOL

2 Pages 1 2 » Search