Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,173 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,713
Flavien Brebion | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Development  (est.rel N/A)  | Pub:Flevion Brebion
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Infinity Forum » General Discussion » Infinity VS Eve-Online: The differences

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
89 posts found
  JADEDRAG0N

Novice Member

4/27/07 8:33:09 PM#21

EvE is an existing game with years of development behind it so even if infinaty was released today it would have problems comparing to eve with all its years behind it.

However i want infinaty to work as it does seem to be a trully great game.

Thyriel

Novice Member

5/08/07 7:04:35 AM#22
Originally posted by r0guy

2. Collisions on everything.

3. Immersion; meaning real scales, dimensions and velocities. Planets are truely as large as real ones, and ships extremely small compared to them.

5. Solar system dynamics. Bodies orbitting around each other, being able to watch a sunset or an eclipse. Planets are not just a fancy background ala X3.

6. Travelling to another system doesn't necessarily involve jump gates. Actually, jump gates are rare and only serve as a way to link distant clusters.

17. Technology discovery plus patent system ( players have to hire scientists to make new technologies available in game, like a RTS's tech-tree ). I know that Eve has blueprints, but as far as i understand, those are "static".

Im not sure if all of these are for good ;)

ad 2)Collision systems are behind waypoint computung, the most CPU using computings. I dont like to know if there would be a computer not crashing trying to compute collisions in a PvP War with 400 players involved that all fly twitch based. SWG in space showed how ugly it can lag when too much players are involved in a fight, and that combined with twitch based flying is deadly.  Dont get me wrong i love twitch based flying, if it works.

ad 3) I see no difference to EvE here. If you fly around with your capsule which is some metres long, you get an idea of how big things are in EvE, and the dimensions of the solar systems are completely correct, you just fly in warp with immense speeds.

ad 5) It sounds fantastic, but again im looking very suspect to such promises. Dynamic things are great, as long as they dont generate a massive lag. I just think here on an asteroid field with some hundreds to thousands asteroids and the data that needs to be sent to give every player there the coordinates and flying directions of all those thousand objects... its just impossible to realise this.

ad 6) If there is PvP planned ( i dunno but would be very bad), and great battles planed im not sure how good small traveling times are. It also means that opponents can be at your space station or whatever in a short time, in Eve distances are massive but if a fleet moves in your direction you know it coming an hour before it arrives and can plan a defence.

ad 17) Great feature (reminds me on SWG as it was a long time ago), but i hope they know what they do. SWG showed that players often find ways to get things uber, if there are ways to develope own items, or even have great impacts on the stats of items, players always found a way to get those items much too strong and imbalanced huge worlds with it..

So as you said, you didnt saw eve very long, its great game is in high end PvP and conquering Starsystems, not in the empire ;)

Shoko_Lied

Advanced Member

SWG Publish 4 Jedi:Flurry: TKM unlock

5/09/07 12:23:26 AM#23
I have been player the combat prototype, which isnt even considered an Alpha and I half to say this is NOTHING like EvE. In eve the controls where more of something like a rts, ie: homeworld, click and go. right click to loot type controls. this is more like a simulater, you have your 1st person, 3rd person, above spacecraft view, and the mouse controls the steering. The Q and E buttons control the Yaw and pitch. in a way this game is alot like XwingVsTiefighter or SWG's Jump to lightspeed control scheme. "if you dont like my opinion, you can try it out for yourself. just go to http://fl-tw.com/Infinity/infinity_combat_proto.php  Oh yeah and those that where refering to Infinity as close to freelancer, your right. well kind of. consider, Infinity a NEXT gen version of Freelancer, "but with Xwing Vs Tiefighter/ Jumptolightspeed Control scheme.
  chryses

Novice Member

6/19/07 4:17:32 PM#24

I have been playing EVE for over 3 years now. Just recently having a break to play a fantasy mmo. VG.  Not to get off topic I do like EVE offline skill system and if it wasnt for that I would have stopped years ago.  Its nice to be able to take a month break and not lose experience but  they should include XP for kills etc.

HOWEVER: Right now on my rig I have Jumpgate going.  Its a 5 year old game and the graghics is slightly outdated. However I am enjoying it more than anything else.  Why?  Because the gameplay is great.  Its a space sim and having the adrenalin rush of crashing into roids, stations, other ships etc. is nothing like click, warp, dock.   Having to actually fly in combat is such a buzz no click and point can replace.   So I have been seeking a game just like Jumpgate but with modern graghics, more players and active development.  In the meantime I will get my fix with Jumpgate and at 10 dollars a month its worth playing until Infinity comes out.  In fact if you want to see how a space sim works give it a go.  Drove me nuts initially but now I realise how 2d EVE is.   Please bring this game out.  Besides being different to all the wAR, AoC type games we need a space sim for the hard core privateer, freelancer players out there! 

User Deleted
6/30/07 1:58:02 PM#25

Well I have played Eve and think it is a great game. I like how their skills are set up but it would be nice to have a little more control over the ship than they have. Infinity sounds great, except I don't like how you don't plan on having any skills or experience. It will basically be a space based FPS then.. I love space games, but in a MMO I think having some RPG elements like skills and XP would be nice. It give people something to achieve and is a good way to augment the "twitch" part... Just my two cents.

Kasimir

Novice Member

6/30/07 2:03:19 PM#26

One difference is also that one is an actual existing game, and the other is vaporware.

Anatomy of a Fanboi

This is you.

Jhereg

Novice Member

6/30/07 2:10:35 PM#27

Eve sucks.  It is totally automated!  Yeah just my idea of  fun game have the computer do all the work for me while I take a nap.  Even combat is based on who has the highest skill class and the better weapons.  There is no actual combat piloting involved in Eve.  SO it sucks plain and simple!

Rehmes

Novice Member

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

6/30/07 2:16:06 PM#28

Originally posted by Jhereg

Eve sucks.  It is totally automated!  Yeah just my idea of  fun game have the computer do all the work for me while I take a nap.  Even combat is based on who has the highest skill class and the better weapons.  There is no actual combat piloting involved in Eve.  SO it sucks plain and simple!

When you actually play the game (and i dont mean pretend to get past the tutorial),  come and post a real opinion. Cuz if SP was the all determining factor in pvp then id have lost half of the fights ive been in. Yes the game isnt in a WASD fighter type combat. Yes its not a game for everyone, and for some its a very boring game. But to say that theres no actual combat in EVE or that skill lv is all there is to it simply means you havent really pvped or you simply arent good at it. Try to write a serious statemend not something that whining lil kid would write cuz EvE wasnt his cup of tea.

Oh and as an MMO fan id like to try Infinity, its different and we need more unique games out there. I hope it isnt vaporware and that itl eventually come out.

Jhereg

Novice Member

6/30/07 2:25:39 PM#29
Originally posted by Rehmes

When you actually play the game (and i dont mean pretend to get past the tutorial),  come and post a real opinion. Cuz if SP was the all determining factor in pvp then id have lost half of the fights ive been in. Yes the game isnt in a WASD fighter type combat. Yes its not a game for everyone, and for some its a very boring game. But to say that theres no actual combat in EVE or that skill lv is all there is to it simply means you havent really pvped or you simply arent good at it. Try to write a serious statemend not something that whining lil kid would write cuz EvE wasnt his cup of tea.

Oh and as an MMO fan id like to try Infinity, its different and we need more unique games out there. I hope it isnt vaporware and that itl eventually come out.

hey moron I did get past the tutorial and quite far into the game.  Just couldn't stand the tedium of everything being automated for me.  I like to "dogfight" using my own joystick on my own terms and with my own skills.  Next time don't assume something and make yourself look like an idiot.  I knew if I didn't post about the fact that I did play the game someone would come across and make a stupid remark saying that I needed to play it.  Nice job.

Rehmes

Novice Member

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

6/30/07 2:33:22 PM#30

Originally posted by Rehmes

hey moron I did get past the tutorial and quite far into the game.  Just couldn't stand the tedium of everything being automated for me.  I like to fight using my own joystick on my own terms and with my own skills.  Next time don't assume something and make yourself look like an idiot.  I knew if I didn't post about the fact that I did play the game someone would come across and make a stupid remark saying that I needed to play it.  Nice job.

I didnt assume abotu how long you played tbh....i said that simply because thats just about how much experience you seem to have gotten out of the game. The fact you like another type of gameplay is fine. Nothing wrong with having a different preference. The only flaw in your statement is that you claim that SP means everything and that PVP comes down to only SP and automated decisions. By that alone you cant have possibly pvped enough to know wth your saying. At the moment, the only MMO out there where a noob can take a vet is EvE. I know because ive done it and many of my friends have too. It isnt a rare occurence or anything like that. If you simply orbit someone in PvP your most likely going to lose anyway. There are many factors that go into a fight in EvE from fittings to tactics. Its closer to a sim than any other type of game out there. If you dont like it thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion, just dont make claims about something you seem to know very little of.

chryses

Novice Member

7/02/07 1:18:01 PM#31

I am not even going near those last 3 posts. However EVE has a pretty complicated combat system.  What I do like about it is that 2 pilots can have the exact same ship but fit them out completely different and combat is always a huge adrenalin rush.   The issue I do have with some skill based games is that ships can not be changed so much.  So if you see a frigate you pretty much know that it has A,B,C and D abilities.  This can discourage combat as a pilot may know he has no chance against another player and flee at first sight.

I have played EVE for 3.5 years and played the Infinity engine a huge amount.  My points are:

* The only similarity in EVE and Infinity is that they are both in space.  They are very very different.  Its like saying a helicopter is the same as a plane because they both fly.

* I would like to see some sort of skill / xp based system in infinity.  Even if it meant purchasing skills outright from trainers.  However I can see why they would want to keep it totally skill based.  The RPG fans out there may get turned off due to no xp etc.  I would have quit EVE a long time ago if I could not train offline.

* I will definitely sign up to Infinity as I am desperate for a good simulator since Privateer.  However I will continue to play EVE for very different reasons.

* Instead of asking what the differences are a more relevant question would be what are the similarties as there are so few.

Croatoan

Novice Member

7/03/07 11:53:13 AM#32

Very true...the differences would be much easier to classify.

The main difference - real time combat versus point and click.  I don't know why, but this turns off lots of gamers.  People whine about twitch combat so much, and the only conclusion I can come to is that they would rather a computer control their combat actions so when they get ganked, they can blame the server or lag instead of their own skill level. 

Being a flight simmer at heart, this looks very promising. 

epimethus

Novice Member

7/15/07 8:09:30 PM#33

Well, I'm a hardcore Freelancer fan along with X3... and I must say, I cannot wait for this to be released. I hope the dev team keeps working hard and they complete it, and keep their promises.

I'll be watching this game with interest.

Alphathon

Novice Member

7/15/07 9:54:18 PM#34

For me at least Infinity would seem to be almost everything I wish EVE had been.

Proper controlled combat and flight, rather than point and click (that was one of EVE's major turn-offs for me, although I hope there is some kind of an auto-pilot or nav. computer for long journeys and such, so you don't have to endure the monotony of lare expanses of open space if you don't want)
The combat is the main thing though, as in EVE it got a but dull after a while (was a bit too slow sometimes, but then I didn't play for very long)

The size of the universe and lack of loading times is also a BIG plus - should make it feel more like "real"-life.

The planetary landing feature should be pretty good too. Would be infinitely better if you could leave your ship, but that would effectively be making an extra game, and would make creating worlds a hell of a lot more difficult, so I'm not complaining.

One advantage EVE has over Infinity is skills though. While I agree that things like fighting skills should not be included, as the combat etc is based quite heavily on the skill of the player, things like engineering skills would make it more realistic. The only way I can see to better that is if the fitting of components, operation of computers etc is based on the skill and knowledge of the player, like an extremely complex mini-game. Now that would be awesome. That would mean that skills weren't required, AND would add a new dimension and added realism to the game.

Also, the accuracy of the universe is pretty good...just adds to the illusion. I meen EVE doesn't have proper physics or anything, not by a long shot.

chryses

Novice Member

7/29/07 7:08:30 AM#35

I agree that this game may be better with non combat skills that helped with components, ship parts / mods etc.  Jumpgate had a pretty good system but it was level based.  At certain levels you could add more advanced ship parts such as faster engines etc.  However ultimately you still had to fly it so skill was a large part.  Secondly I do hope they have autopilot.  Looking at jumpgate again I did get frustrated how I had to fly a ship manually 100% of the time.  Besides its unrealistic not having this.  Seriously if you have a ship that can fly through space and explore the stars technology must exist for autopiloting.  Possibly have some minor penalty such as using more energ or something just as daft.  Having played both EVE (3 years) and the combat engine of Infinity there are hardly any similarties besides being based in space.

Congzilla

Novice Member

9/12/07 5:57:29 AM#36

Originally posted by w175jab
EVE supposedly is working to allow players to fly into a planet's atmosphere, land, ECT and players will no longer be bound to their ship when docked in the station.  However, due to the size of the galaxy this won't be implemented until 2008.

You can check the EVE Suggestions Forums here at MMORPG.

But, Infinity looks interesting to say the least
Correct "Ambulation" walking in stations is planned for the first half of 08 with atmospheric flight planned for second half 08.

Infinity already looks outdated next to eve visually. I feel really bad for infinity when the EVE graphics engine update and high res models come out in December.

Controlling your ship doesn't make much sense anyways. I watched the Infinity combat video and a lot of it looked silly. Combat between ships in water is about the same as space, it is all about facing, and transversal velocity. So you don't need fancy meneuvers, just set an orbit at your optimal range and get your transversal speed above your targets turret tracking speed.

Lucien13

Apprentice Member

9/27/07 5:21:14 AM#37

"Controlling your ship doesn't make much sense anyways. I watched the Infinity combat video and a lot of it looked silly. Combat between ships in water is about the same as space, it is all about facing, and transversal velocity. So you don't need fancy meneuvers, just set an orbit at your optimal range and get your transversal speed above your targets turret tracking speed."

Oh, please.  Spoken just like someone who has spent to much time in eve.  I would be willing to bet that space combat with small to medium size ships would be much more like ariel combat, a.k.a. fighter planes, then ships moveing thru a substance with a great amount of friction/resistance, so there for "fancy meneuvers" would be excalty what you would want.  Now large ships like Eves captail ships maybe, but eve deals with acceleration that would kill a human so there for eluding to mastery over  inertia and that would mean there would be no reason why large ships couldnt do the same.  Also remmber that little skill called motion prediction.  Firing any of the Eve turrents, besides maybe laser with speed of light reaction, at the distances we do in eve and them landing on a target would require that target to either be moveing in a predictable way or not at all.  The only reason why naval combat is the way you describe is because we do not "yet" have the ability to make ships turn on a dime.  If we did trust me it would be a differant dance.  Maybe a Salsa instead of the waltz.  

Although, i will have to agree, with all the improvements eve is making I think infinity will have a hard time carveing out a niche, sadly, as i would love to see the death of a skill system that only requires you to log on to the game once every 4 days or even less in order to become a "highly skilled player".

MR-Bubbles

Novice Member

MR-Bubbles hates bullies with wrenches :P

10/25/07 7:20:31 AM#38

Originally posted by Croatoan

Very true...the differences would be much easier to classify.

The main difference - real time combat versus point and click.  I don't know why, but this turns off lots of gamers.  People whine about twitch combat so much, and the only conclusion I can come to is that they would rather a computer control their combat actions so when they get ganked, they can blame the server or lag instead of their own skill level. 

Being a flight simmer at heart, this looks very promising. 

You are of course assuming those who are whining about twitch based combat dont experience lag i see.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

MR-Bubbles

Novice Member

MR-Bubbles hates bullies with wrenches :P

10/25/07 7:30:05 AM#39

First of all Infinatly online isant even at Beta yet so still potential Vapouware compared to EvE which is actually out.

Also where is the skill in twitch combat with no skill system it will just be point and click or just switching on an aimbot 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

Nyast

Novice Member

10/25/07 8:21:54 AM#40

What do you mean by "point & click" ? Infinity isn't like Eve, you directly control your ship like in a flight simulator, hence the "twitch based"..

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search