Trending Games | Trove | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,871,546 Users Online:0
Games:744  Posts:6,254,568
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » World of Warhammer... lol

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Alanthus

Novice Member

3/13/06 4:22:29 PM#21

Well, anything at this point is basically pure speculation but the way it's described is that the metagame (the overall program running various parts of the game and keeping track of rulesets etc.) will do a "reset" when a capital is sacked. The "reset" will essentially be in the form of massive npc reinforcements (guard pops) that will run the invaders out, the game will then run from there but the sides will have short or long term effects applied to them based on the conclusion of the previous chapter in the long term war, in addition you will be able to gain loot when sacking a capital.

This is actually pretty similar to the way war has worked in some places in historic times, when a deciding victory is scored you exchange prisoners, pay ransoms, some land may change hands and/or some sort of penance is payed etc. The concept itself is certainly flexible enough to allow a big step towards a better RvR implementation while still leaving enough safeguards in place to allow the system to work and be fun when people attempt to abuse it in various ways. It will be interesting to see how they succeed, the one thing we do know is that it won't be WoW, this is an RvR centric game, not an EQ killer aimed at large groups repeatedly killing scripted mobs for a small chance at "the trinket of uber l33tn3ss".

LackeyZero

Novice Member

3/13/06 4:27:16 PM#22

O? okay that's something I suppose... Eventually, it'll still hit people that they'll never truly be able to take over another side...

We'll wait and see I suppose...

remyburke

Hard Core Member

I liked MMOs better when gamers didn't play them, and just geeks did.

3/13/06 4:50:48 PM#23

Originally posted by ScottElwood

Simple: This is an MMORPG

Honestly, the reason why MMORPG's arn't at par with games like half-life and F.E.A.R is because they have to be stable enough to hold at least a hundred people in a semi-condensed area. I don't think I've ever entered a game of CS:Source where it didn't lag a little, and those games were limited to 32 players.

Take a look at Pirates of the Burning Sea for instance, they are going to only support subscribers with broadband connections, and their servers are going to be limited to around 3,000 people. Even those graphics aren’t the best that could be pulled off (Though they are quite detailed).

W.A.R still has months and months of designing left to do, and more mobs and character options are being designed daily, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a polygon count raised as the game progresses. That isn't to say that it will be a very dramatic raise, but it should be enough to satisfy.

It's not so much the quality of the graphics (they look fine to me), it's just the fact that it looks exactly like WoW. I know Warhammer has been around way longer than Warcraft, but the vast majority of people don't care about that. People are going to say this game looks just like WoW because WoW came out first....simple as that.

Personally, I was kind of looking for a darker, slightly less cartoony look. But if the gameplay is solid (It's from Mythic, I'm sure it will be) I can get around the fact that it looks like WoW's little brother.

MMORPG.com member: 10th Year Anniversary. Where has the time gone...?

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, DN, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
ESO, FE, FFXI, FFXIV, FF, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MO, MxO, NW, Rift, RoE,
Ryzom, SB, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...

Trickster58

Novice Member

3/13/06 5:03:04 PM#24

Funny how people are comparing a released game like World of Warcraf to a game like Warhammer Online which has only been in development for a few months... honestly think about it insted of trying to compare a finnished product with a new born MMORPG.::::28::

"Those that run away will fight another day" - Vegitus

Vrashk

Novice Member

Yes, Everyone knows Warhammer was first, now shut it!

3/15/06 9:36:58 AM#25

Errr...What's wrong with that?

If the developers have released screenshots, people who don't like them have a right to say so. I didn't find the screenshots all that similar to WoW... but I'm pretty apalled that they're turning this into a stupid realm vs realm game. I love roleplaying in MMORPG, but the realm vs realm concept which Mythic introduced with Daoc is not roleplayer-friendly.
The inability to have internal armed conflicts (except words, "duels" and emotes..), the restricted communications (Can't speak to other factions...*Rolls eyes*) etc.
Realm vs Realm games are not Fantasy warfare games, they're far more similar to Starship troopers-style conflict (as an example), with a unified earth fighting against an alien threat.

One thing is for sure, the different factions in the warhammer world are most certainly NOT unified (Maybe the dwarfs and High elves are..). Orcs and goblins are constantly infighting, Half of the Empire citizens are actually chaos cultists or criminals, Beastmen herds and servants of the different chaos gods are in a continual war against eachother, only stopping hostilities very occasionally for great events, like the storm of chaos. I don't know too much about the Dark elves, but I'm pretty sure there's quite a bit of internal power struggles there as well.

I wish Climax never quit producing WHO (for whatever reason they did). They focused on adventure rather than conflict, and they would've done a good job, whereas Mythic will most likely misuse the license into producing a sequel to DaoC.
::::27::

Ps. I do not doubt it will be a good game, but it can be so much better, deeper, more immersive and involving (and closer to the Warhammer lore...) and I truly think a license as popular as warhammer deserves that.

makkah

Novice Member

3/15/06 10:32:04 AM#26
If you honestly think the Warhammer world isn't perfect for RvR style battles... you need to pack a few more sandwiches in your picnic basket.
  Vrashk

Novice Member

Yes, Everyone knows Warhammer was first, now shut it!

3/16/06 3:27:09 AM#27

If you honestly think that all is well and joy behind the front lines in Warhammer, you need to read some warhammer novels or background information.

Then you'd know that the empire is rife with internal struggles. Powerplay between the faiths of Ulric and Sigmar, infiltrated almost everywhere by chaos cultists (from the bottom to the top of the social ladder). and massive amounts of crime.
Then you'd know that most beastman herds wage wars against eachother until called to herdstones for a unified assault upon some settlement, the situation is almost the same with the mortal and demonic followers between the different chaos gods .
You'd know orcish animosity and infighting is constant until they're beaten together by a huge orc chieftain.

Realm vs Realm games put the focus *only* on the large conflicts between different factions, while the Warhammer World is so much more than that. Where every day in this gritty, dark world is a struggle for suvival for the individual.
Realm vs Realm games are Unified front vs Unified front games, while no front in the warhammer world is unified at all, anyone who knows anything about warhammer should know this.
By all means, I don't mind them making warhammer a realm vs realm games.. IF they provide the ability for guild wars and cross-faction communication, so those who actually want to experience warhammer as it is described in lore may do so, rather than be forced into developer-made storylines.

Sadly, I have not seen a single realm vs realm game which provided guild wars and cross server communication (Possibly Shadowbane, but there it was the players who made the realms, not the developers, so it's not quite the same).
Mythic started a new genre with Daoc, one which sadly does not fit roleplayers very well, and no developer listens to such an insignificant group as roleplayers in their quest for money (I've got no fucking clue why, because quite frankly I see nothing to lose by doing it.. as it all would be consentual).

thekze

Apprentice Member

3/16/06 5:01:30 AM#28

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Saw the trailer and was really excited!!!!!!! It looked dark and dirty and a great short teaser. Then i saw some screenshots and thought "well this aint my vision of Warhammer Online".

Tbh the graphics engine looks like DAOC (which for 2007 is very old) and the graphics look all bright like WOW! 'm sorry but i don't want anything about Warhammer online to be bright :S

This is how it should look: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=3115&pl=game&type=wmv

Ok then theres onlyy six classes and you putting them all on 2 sides :S Makes no sense for Warhammer to me :S I mean where are Lizzardmen for a start?
EQ2 has much better graphics and has 16 races!!!!!!! Warhammer online is a game for 2007 and looks worse and only has 6!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry but it sounds like your turning Warhammer Online into WOW, screenshots even look that way too.

Your putting RVR in it too and alot of sfeatures sound like they're coming from DAOC :S I want a original game! If anygame could do sandbox itrs Warhammer online.

humph.

The shots we saw are only at an early stage. And RvR is probably the coolest PvP feature ever made in a mmorpg, come back in 6 months.
  dokah

Novice Member

3/16/06 7:53:03 AM#29

The screenshots you've seen thus far are most likely how the game will look at release. As I understand Mythic, they are using pluggable technologies to drive WAR (i.e. a game engine like Gamebryo, or a physics engine like the one used in CoH/CoV.)

The true weight of the aesthetics for WAR lies upon the tech artists, texture artists, modelers, and designers. I believe we will be delivered a world that feels like it has a great deal of conflict. Mythic is innocent until proved guilty.

In any case, if people truly want to help the WAR team do their job well, then people will offer constructive criticism beyond, "WAR looks like WoW OMGZorz!11"

porgie

Novice Member

SCULLY: What do you think?

MULDER: I can''t believe how much faith we put in machines.

3/16/06 8:00:41 AM#30

Originally posted by ScottElwood

Simple: This is an MMORPG

Honestly, the reason why MMORPG's arn't at par with games like half-life and F.E.A.R is because they have to be stable enough to hold at least a hundred people in a semi-condensed area. I don't think I've ever entered a game of CS:Source where it didn't lag a little, and those games were limited to 32 players.

Take a look at Pirates of the Burning Sea for instance, they are going to only support subscribers with broadband connections, and their servers are going to be limited to around 3,000 people. Even those graphics aren’t the best that could be pulled off (Though they are quite detailed).

W.A.R still has months and months of designing left to do, and more mobs and character options are being designed daily, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a polygon count raised as the game progresses. That isn't to say that it will be a very dramatic raise, but it should be enough to satisfy.

Graphics don't have anything to do with your connection to the Internet.  That's why you can adjust the graphical settings on your pc.  The server has no idea what your graphical settings are.  It's just for transferring character positions, mob movement, and which hat or shirt a person has on.

People confuse their pc's performance with lag.  They're not the same thing.

-----------------------
</OBAMA>

2 Pages « 1 2 Search