Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,768,102 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,575
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » How will the 3 Realms be set up?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
32 posts found
  Nalaeph

Novice Member

OP  1/12/06 7:32:07 AM#1

Ok, so it's said that there will be three Realms to play in. A bit sad, that not every Faction will be able to fight for itself, but that's understandeable as it's difficult enough to keep three Realms relatively balanced. Now, after reading a bit about the different factions on the Games Workshop website I'd like to know how you people think the three realms will be set up!

My best guess is:

1. Empire or Bretonnia.. probably including Elfies and Dwarves?
2. Chaos.. Hordes and Dark Elves?
3. Greenskin.. Orcs/Goblins and Ogres?

Anofalye

Advanced Member

The enemy is so dumb! They believe that WE are the enemy! - A famous orc commander.

1/12/06 5:52:56 PM#2

How about those 3 factions?

Khorne/Nurgles + Skavens.

Slaanesh/Tzenth + Dark Elfs.

Malal!!!

Are you telling me you see those together?  I honestly can't!  The High Elfs(Eldaar) and the Empire can't be in the same faction either, it just doesn't work.  The Empire has an understand of the Greater Good that just can't find any understanding with the elfs.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - René Levesque about the denial NO on the poll to his dream, project and goal. (Free translation)

Dark_Lord_13

Novice Member

1/14/06 12:22:43 PM#3

Originally posted by Nalaeph

Ok, so it's said that there will be three Realms to play in. A bit sad, that not every Faction will be able to fight for itself, but that's understandeable as it's difficult enough to keep three Realms relatively balanced. Now, after reading a bit about the different factions on the Games Workshop website I'd like to know how you people think the three realms will be set up!

My best guess is:

1. Empire or Bretonnia.. probably including Elfies and Dwarves?
2. Chaos.. Hordes and Dark Elves?
3. Greenskin.. Orcs/Goblins and Ogres?

Not sure where you got that info, but then again I've been pretty busy so if it's been released I may not have heard about it.  Could you post a link to that info please???  =)

And yea, that's what I'd guess, Empire, Elves, and Dwarves in one, Chaos, and Dark Elves in one, and Orks and Goblins in the third.

Nalaeph

Novice Member

OP  1/14/06 1:54:45 PM#4

Originally posted by Dark_Lord_13

Not sure where you got that info, but then again I've been pretty busy so if it's been released I may not have heard about it. Could you post a link to that info please??? =)
And yea, that's what I'd guess, Empire, Elves, and Dwarves in one, Chaos, and Dark Elves in one, and Orks and Goblins in the third.

I was just speculating based on the information I got on the Games Workshop Site about the Warhammer Universe in general, not about W.A.R specificaly. I don't know much about it, but from what I've seen this'd make the most sense if they're limited to 3 realms/factions/whatever-you-call-em.

Anofalye: Didn't know about the Elf thing, but I think they'll have to make a few compromises to make it work. Every Faction seems to have it's own philosophy and they will have to throw some together if they only want 3 sides. Sort of like the Undead are part of the Horde in World of Warcraft. Doesn't make that much sense either.

ScottElwood

Novice Member

1/14/06 3:25:54 PM#5

My post over on the RvR thread..

"This is a really tricky topic and we'll see how Mythic can pull it off, but allegiances between races don't nessesarially have to be between those who are good and those who are evil.

The main background of Warhammer keeps all races at a free-for-all so to say, and allegiances happen when two races want to accomplish the same goal. The game is made this way so that if you want to have a 2v2 battle, having a chaos alliance with an empire army isn't nessesarially unaccomplishable.

From the backstory that Mythic has provided to us so far, we can assume that there wont be an allegiance between the Orcs & Goblins and Empire (read the backstory here). But don't expect the most obvious allegiances to be true.

Mythic will probably release 3 realms at the release of W.A.R, seeing as it's what they did with DAoC, and it is a solid number to start with. That leaves us with 6 races to place into each of the three realms.

The only problem is that 3 of the races seem like a "good" race, and three of them seem like an "evil" race. This then is hard to seperate into 3 realms, because one of them will have to be a convergance of one "good" and one "evil" race.

Someone suggested that it might be a Good vs Evil vs Chaos seperation. This could work, but then the Chaos realm might be very outnumbered, seeing as though the realm only holds one race.

To me, the most logical seperation would be:

Realm A:
Empire and Dwarves

Realm B:
Orcs & Goblins and High Elves

Realm C:
Chaos and Dark Elves

I based this off of the backstory that Mythic has given, and the world maps that most Warhammer players assume to be the general area that armies are located in.

Refer to this map for all of the diplomacy I note. The original map can be found here.

In Mythics story, the Empire mercenaries are stuck in a mountain, trapped by Orcs & Goblins who have taken up camp near the bottom. In the area that the mercenaries should be has a high population of dwarves that reside in those mountains. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a story to have both of them try to supress the Orcs from moving foreward. (Note the mountains east of the empire, where the dwarves reside)

One other thing about dwarves, they used to hold much land, but were driven out of most of it when "evil" races were spreading their diplomacy. It would be hard to see them allied with anyone who isn't "good", and because of that fact is why I placed them with the Empire.

Chaos And Dark Elves are placed together because their borders are close, and they both have a twisted sense to themselves. They, to me, fit together well and could logically be allied.

The reason why I put the Orcs & Goblins and High Elves together is because, well basically they were the two that were left. Orcs usually only fight when they feel a need to or have an over-population issue, so placing them with Chaos probably wouldn't work. High Elves on the other hand have had a long and hard civil war with Dark Elves, so when the Dark Elves allied with Chaos, that could have led the High Elves to worry, then make an arrangement with the Orcs & Goblins for more protection in case the Dark Elves had any reason to cause a threat.

So thats my opinion on this topic. Congrats to anyone who read it all!

--It took me a while to write so sorry if someone made something clear before I posted it"

---------------------------------------------------
| www.40ksource.net - 40k MMO fansite

Vervayne

Advanced Member

1/16/06 10:38:11 PM#6

Mark Jacobs can be quoted stating that Chaos will have a realm of their own.

This fact leads me to believe that the race alliances will be set up as follows:

Dwarves, Humans, High Elves

Dark Elves, Orcs, Goblins

Chaos

Edit: In response to Chaos only having one race, that isn't really true. Beastmen can come in several forms, and there are of course, Chaos fanatics that are humans and other races if I'm not mistaken. So there can be different races within the Chaos realm.

Dark_Lord_13

Novice Member

1/17/06 12:12:21 PM#7

Originally posted by ScottElwood

Realm B:
Orcs & Goblins and High Elves

Couldn't happen, The High elves would never ally themselves with Orcs.  EVER!  I promise you.

There is a large back story of the Elves fighting against the Orcs too, but I'd have to go get my High Elf Army book to re-type the stories.  And I'm busy with other things too.

Basicly, the Elves and Dwarves have a old history of fighting each other, but not when it comes to either fighting each other, or fighting evil, they always side together to fight evil, although it's a very, very loose alliance at best.  So putting the two leftovers into the third realm wouldn't work, mainly because High Elves are too Egotistical to ally themselves with such a barbaric race as the Orcs.

I go with Chaos being in one realm for these reasons, yes they'll be one race to a realm, but......

1. Chaos is a big draw, look simply at the poll of (what race will you play) and youll see what I mean.

2. Chaos will allow the posibility of multiple races within it.  (Not at first probably but perhaps with expansions.

3. It keeps the other alliances to allow them to work.  Orcs and Goblins seldom if ever ally themselves together with anyone, but they'd be the other larger of the three realms.  I could see the Dark Elves doing both, Allying themselves with Chaos.  (one of their cults worship a Chaos God for crying out loud!)  Or using the Orcs as a brute force for their more finess style of fighting.  So they coudl go both ways.

I actually believe it'll be more like this, 1 race per realm.  I.E. Free for all, with allied areas of dispute, that can be defended by multiple races.  such as an area where Good v Evil battles occur, as well as Empire/Dwarf Vs. Orc/Chaos, or other.

However, I don't know, just speculating.  the layout of the actual Warhammer world allows for almost all races to interact, save the secluded ones.  (High Elves.)  They live on an Island.

Volkmar

Advanced Member

1/21/06 12:20:52 PM#8

Well, In the given world of Warhammer there is already a 3-sided war going on and it cover the Empire lands plus the lands next to it.

I feel this would be an ideal starting scenario instead of involving, say, the high elf or the dark elf, pretty far from those lands.

The scenario would be structured like this:

Faction 1: Empire. The strongest human faction gives possibility to play as an human, a dwarf, an elf or a halfling (Expansion race: Ogres)Halflings have been part of the Empire for centuries, Dwarves have been allies of the empire by centuries too and a number of them settled inside the empire.

Elves, while not technically an ally of the empire, do visit those lands every now and then and as such can be found there. (i don't specify the "High", "Dark" or "wood". most probably, High.)

Faction 2. From the wastelands of the north comes the hordes of Chaos. Chaos has many possible races, humans, beastmen, various demons and so on. The forces of Chaos dwell in the northern wastes and periodically invade first Kislev and then the Empire itself, so conflict is there all the time

Faction 3. Skaven. The Skaven, for hundred of years, have threatened the safety of the Empire from the underground. Their vast empire is literally under the imperials feet and they can strike forth virtually anywhere. the skaven faction has 2 canon races: Skavens and Rat-ogres. Others might be added.

This keep the world to a well delineated geographical zones and make for conflicts already present in the world. In a future expansion the elves could be added. High and Wood elves could form their own 4th faction while the Dark Elves either join this faction (Fantasy Dark elves, after all, worhsip Khaine, the blood handed God. an evil one, for sure, but an ELVEN deity aknowledged and feared by all elves... not to mention the one worhsipped by the Eldar in the 40k scenario)  or the skaven, with which they share the underground preferences.... or even the chaos faction even if Dark elves are not corrupted by chaos, they might fall to the lure of Slaneesh as their future counterpart will.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

- My New World of Darkness Tabletop RPG Blog:
http://realmofroleplay.com/?cat=19

Dark_Lord_13

Novice Member

1/23/06 10:33:10 AM#9

O.K.  this is a warning, I am about to go off, you've been warned.

Attention everyone, Skaven are not, I repeat, NOT going to be a playable race from the Initial release of the game, at least as of yet.  This information was released by Mythic over 3 months ago.  So stop with the "skaven" posts.  I would like to see Skaven introduced as well, along with Undead, Lizardmen, and all of the other races in the Warhammer world.  But the fact of the matter is they're not going to be YET!  give them a few months, and up to after the first expansion and yea, maybe.  But for now, please stop talking Skaven.

The initial races are, Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Chaos, Orcs, and Dark Elves.

If you guys are not that interrested in it, then take my word for it.  But if you want proof, READ.  It's on the internet, this and other forums about W.A.R., on several of the prior threads.  Not only links to the information directly from Mythic, but also on threads posted by most of the people on this forum.

O.K.  Cool down time approximatly 20 minutes.

Please don't take my posts personally, I'm not going off on YOU, I'm going off due to a conglomeration of posts that happen to coincide with your posts.

Volkmar, no offense intended, you may not be aware of it, however this post as well as the thread that I'm about to post about it is intended on alerting people of the fact.  Not intended to insult or demoralize.

Here is the link to Mark Jacobs, (i.e. Grand Theogonist, Supream Patriarch, Reiksmarshal, and Emperor.) announcing the race information.  Scroll down to 24 August, 2005.

http://www.warhammeralliance.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=173

Anofalye

Advanced Member

The enemy is so dumb! They believe that WE are the enemy! - A famous orc commander.

1/23/06 7:41:53 PM#10

Originally posted by Vervayne

Mark Jacobs can be quoted stating that Chaos will have a realm of their own.

This fact leads me to believe that the race alliances will be set up as follows:

Dwarves, Humans, High Elves

Dark Elves, Orcs, Goblins

Chaos

Edit: In response to Chaos only having one race, that isn't really true. Beastmen can come in several forms, and there are of course, Chaos fanatics that are humans and other races if I'm not mistaken. So there can be different races within the Chaos realm.

There is no way that High Elf and Empire are together, so the humans will be divided into two realms most likely, Brettonia would be with the High Elf (Good) and the Empire would be with the Wood Elf (Neutral and Law).  Leaving the Empire out of the game would be a mistake IMO, and the High Elf have to be in game for the players.

Putting the Empire and the High Elf together can't work.  The High Elfs could retire, but they would not field with the Empire, forget it, except maybe on local exceptions, they just can't get along.

The Dark elfs can work with Goblins, Chaos or Undead I guess...but I am not even sure it would be possible.

Really, dividing into 3 is a nightmare.  I would honestly hope that if it is done into 3, that even inside a faction there are some conflict places.

The High Elfs are a nightmare to figure who they would ally.  Wood Elf?  Maybe.  Brettonia?  Most likely.  The Empire?  Impossible.  The dorfs?  LOL that won't be happening.  Althought Brettonia COULD ally itself with the Empire, they are extremely unlikely, it would more likely be an uneasy peace.

Chaos stand on their own as well...maybe with Skavens or Dark elfs for SOME chaos factions, some Chaos factions should be computer only and a comon enemy, even to other Chaos.

I don't believe in a 3 factions for Warhammer, it need to be at least 5, like the alignment of the game.  It is quite basic with the very fundamental of the game.

Althought...it would be possible to put the High Elfs and Brettonia BEHIND the Empire and make them a full PvE faction which on some specials days (like once a month) can help the Empire or something like that...but more than that...I am sorry, I just don't see them working day-to-day with the Empire, using them as a shield and somewhat helping them for rare occasions, maybe, but not more. (I dunno if gameplay wise it would be nice to have a faction who is "unstoppable" 1 day of the month)

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - René Levesque about the denial NO on the poll to his dream, project and goal. (Free translation)

Sawtooth

Advanced Member

1/23/06 8:37:16 PM#11

Here's a possibility. Three realms representing roughly good, evil, and neutral powers. That's a generalization, but just so we can attach labels and make things easier. The common race in every Realm is humans. The Good side has Bretonnians, the Neutral has the Empire, the Evil has Chaos Marauders and Warriors. High Elves go with Good, Dwarfs with Neutral, and Orcs & Dark Elves with Evil. Subsequent races can be slipped in these Realms.

Good: Wood Elves, Lizardmen

Neutral: Ogres, Tilea, maybe Khemri (they're the not so evil undead, right?), Sylvania (it's a stretch...but they are still part of the Empire...sort of), Halflings

Evil: Skaven, Vampire Counts

This would have a pretty balanced number of races across the board in the end, although it would be a little unbalanced towards evil to start with. Having a human race as the 'basic' member of each realm is also similar to the practice in DAOC (Britons, Celts, Norse).

I know it's a little different that what we've heard, but it's so early who knows. What do you think?

airtrooper

Apprentice Member

1/23/06 11:23:44 PM#12

There is a large back story of the Elves fighting against the Orcs too, but I'd have to go get my High Elf Army book to re-type the stories.  And I'm busy with other things too.

I would not get to caught up on what is written down in those warhammer books or you will end up very disapointed. I can assure you that there will be changes from table top warhammer when the make it into a computer game simple due to the difficulty of translating this system to the computer.

If you are going to insist on thinking... "they cant do that cause it says here on pg 34 ...." than i suggest you stop now and not bother with the computer game casue it will not be possiable to make you happy.

Anofalye

Advanced Member

1/24/06 6:05:29 PM#13

But it is not sticking to the book strictly.

Empire and High Elfs don't get along at all.  This is basic with the very setting of the game.  Be ally against others in a 3 realms thing?

You see, devs on computer need to learn what are acceptable twists and what is prostitutions.  Putting the High Elf with the Empire or Khorn side by side with Slaanesh is pure prostitution.

I rather see the High Elfs exclude completely from the game than be with the Empire.  It is not a detail, it is the very spirit of the world.  It is like removing the XP from every mob in D&D, this is cutting to FAR in what is the basic spirit of the game IMO.

airtrooper

Apprentice Member

1/24/06 6:43:49 PM#14

You see, devs on computer need to learn what are acceptable twists and what is prostitutions.  Putting the High Elf with the Empire or Khorn side by side with Slaanesh is pure prostitution.

I rather see the High Elfs exclude completely from the game than be with the Empire.  It is not a detail, it is the very spirit of the world.  It is like removing the XP from every mob in D&D, this is cutting to FAR in what is the basic spirit of the game IMO.

What will decide if something is acceptalbe twists is the practicality of doing it for the computer game. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Making to many different realms would be a nightmare if you want to have pvp in an RVR format. So they need to limit the number of sides.... this gives you a choice they made the decision to go with three different realms now they can stick with the rules and not comprimise but you would end up with only one race choice in each realm or they can fudge it a bit to give you a bit more choice in the char you have and make up some fiction to explain it away... personally i like the second option much better. As long as the game is fun it matters not at all if they decide to put chaos and empire in the same realm.

OMG chaos and empire in the same realm ..... who gives a shit if it gives me the chance to play both a human and a chaos char when the practical alternative is not putting one or the other in the game at all.

Volkmar

Advanced Member

1/25/06 4:15:01 AM#15

Originally posted by Dark_Lord_13

O.K.  this is a warning, I am about to go off, you've been warned.

Attention everyone, Skaven are not, I repeat, NOT going to be a playable race from the Initial release of the game, at least as of yet.  This information was released by Mythic over 3 months ago.  So stop with the "skaven" posts.  I would like to see Skaven introduced as well, along with Undead, Lizardmen, and all of the other races in the Warhammer world.  But the fact of the matter is they're not going to be YET!  give them a few months, and up to after the first expansion and yea, maybe.  But for now, please stop talking Skaven.

The initial races are, Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Chaos, Orcs, and Dark Elves.

If you guys are not that interrested in it, then take my word for it.  But if you want proof, READ.  It's on the internet, this and other forums about W.A.R., on several of the prior threads.  Not only links to the information directly from Mythic, but also on threads posted by most of the people on this forum.

O.K.  Cool down time approximatly 20 minutes.

Please don't take my posts personally, I'm not going off on YOU, I'm going off due to a conglomeration of posts that happen to coincide with your posts.

Volkmar, no offense intended, you may not be aware of it, however this post as well as the thread that I'm about to post about it is intended on alerting people of the fact.  Not intended to insult or demoralize.

Here is the link to Mark Jacobs, (i.e. Grand Theogonist, Supream Patriarch, Reiksmarshal, and Emperor.) announcing the race information.  Scroll down to 24 August, 2005.

http://www.warhammeralliance.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=173

odd.. my answer post never appeared it seems.

Well.... here we go again. Thank you for posting that link, Dark lord, it should be stickied as "MUST READ" in this forum.

I was indeed unaware of such informations, i knew of the forums but i didn't read them so i didn't know Mark Jacobs was posting there. (lots of nice infos there all around also.... a great reading that rised my interest for the game 10x... like... the possibility of having an mmorpg in which advancement is completely based on RvR is... intriguing).

So my idea  goes completely to scrap. In light of the new knowledge here is the new division:

Realm 1: Empire, Dwarves, High Elves. I know what anofayle said, but i do not see it that stretch for the High Elves to be allies with Empire and dwarves, especially to face a bigger threat. they will never be friend, but i am sure that they WILL band together to defeat Chaos or some other world threatening event. Plus, high elves do have contacts with the Empire and are not their enemies, that makes it enough to me. Even in the actual DAoC, some of the races in the various realms are not trusted by the others. It is still an unlikely alliance, but with the infos we have, the most probable

Realm 2: Chaos. as by mark jacobs writings, it seems Chaos is a realm on itself, that makes sense

Realm 3: that leaves us with orks/goblins and Dark Elves, their realms border each other and this also would be a convenience alliance with each of the party thinking to use the other to achieve their goals and then discards/dispose of them.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Anofalye

Advanced Member

1/25/06 6:59:57 PM#16

Originally posted by airtrooper

OMG chaos and empire in the same realm ..... who gives a shit if it gives me the chance to play both a human and a chaos char when the practical alternative is not putting one or the other in the game at all.

MANY fans will care.  The guys who own the franchise rights should care as well, because the worth of the franchise is based on what peoples think of the franchise.

Some changes are not acceptable...and the Chaos, the Empire, the High Elfs can't mix at all in a RvR as in sharing the same faction.  Slaanesh and Khorne doesn't mix at all either, despite been Chaos.

A small twist is acceptable, not putting everything in game is acceptable, making a travesty and putting two factions together while they would never is not acceptable in the Warhammer universe.  Now I am merely 1 fan, 1 individual.  But I am sure that many (maybe a majority, maybe a minority, I dunno) other fans will care that it respect the spirit of the franchise.

If you buy a McDonald, you can't start selling Pepsi because you prefer Pepsi over Coke yourself, this is part of what it means to have a franchise.  If nobody is enforcing it now, it doesn't means that is should not respect some rules.  If you have a McDonald and you doesn't sell Big Mac...it is going to annoy a lot of your customers.

A Franchise give many nice BONUS for a company, but it also means many obligations, I am not sure Turbines understand that...and even if Turbines doesn't pay a hefty price for betraying the franchise, WotC, Atari and Hasbro are going to pay a hefty price on future game releases, in terms of games not sold.  Turbines prolly doesn't care for the franchise owners.  Mythic prolly care for the franchise owners, I doesn't think Mythic will consider lightly to disappoint an existing fanbase in order to sell more in the short terms.  Maybe I doesn't know Mythic.  But I think they will care.

And High Elfs can't mix with the Empire...just...can't...happen!  Put the Wood elfs, fine!  Or leave the Empire to NPCs only.  I dunno.  But if you only have 3 realms, you doesn't have tons of choices, you either leave factions off limits or you betray the franchise.  Chaos alone have 2 Major realms...and that can be divided into countless minors realms (including Malal which for some reasons, I always love despite been...relatively ignored).

Heck, you can even have RENEGADE High Elfs working for the Empire...that is somewhat acceptable, but you than need a DESIGN to make sure a player can't start as a High Elf...he has to unlock that race for future characters, that way it remains a minority...RENEGADES.  But the High Elfs as a faction remain outside, NPCs controlled or whatever...

The fact you have the "Power" to do what you want doesn't mean it is wise...a franchise should be respected.  And Warhammer is 1 of the strongest franchise in the RPG world and I am merely "part-time" fan in the case of this franchise...I can tell you, many fans will care a LOT.  The initial support you get from a franchise like Warhammer is easily outmatching any support a betraying can grant you, now if you are purely short term thinking and selfish you might still want to do it...but if you grant a though toward the well-beeing of the franchise, you will never betray something major in it.

Many devs does many bad move on franchises they never develop themselves, we see it happen in the past and it will happen in the future, I hope Mythic will not be on this shitty list but on the list of those who promote and developp the franchise, building forward rather than backtracking on already establish major aspects.

ScottElwood

Novice Member

1/25/06 7:36:48 PM#17

And remember, it isn't just Mythic working on this game, they have constant support from Games Workshop. Some employees were sent to Nottingham, England so that they could work close with the main GW employees. This game will follow suit with what Warhammer has grown to be, and as Anofalye said [only] A small twist is acceptable, which is all that should happen.

---------------------------------------------------
| www.40ksource.net - 40k MMO fansite

Sawtooth

Advanced Member

1/25/06 10:49:33 PM#18
Why is it hard to believe the High Elves would fight alongside the Empire? They look down on them, surely, but they've done it before. Teclis! The Empire wouldn't even have colleges of magic if it weren't for the High Elves. High Elves are seafarers and frequently appear in human ports. A high elf force helped chace Mannfred von Carstein away from Marienburg once. High Elves also helped out during the Storm of Chaos campaign. They may not like humans or regard them as equals, but given the choice of letting Chaos or Orks run rampant or helping out some humans to steer them towards killing them, the High Elves would help the humans.

The same is true for Khorne and Slaanesh. Clearly the forces hate each other, but they are also both Chaos. Khorne and Slaanesh forces have marched together in the same armies, probably hating each other all the way but still doing so. You can make army lists in Warhammer with Khorne and Slaanesh elements under an undivided general, the same will be true here.

Realm vs. Realm does not mean mutual hugs and cooperation. Look at DAOC. Celts and Fir'bolg don't really trust Elves and Lurikeen in their own realm. The Church of Albion doesn't really trust Reavers and Necromancers. Realm vs. Realm is a matter of fighting the greater of two evils. If the High Elves fight with the Empire they are only using them for something (probably cannon fodder). The Empire would likewise be using the Elves for their power to save grief for their own soldiers.
  Volkmar

Advanced Member

1/26/06 12:42:59 AM#19

Originally posted by Sawtooth
Why is it hard to believe the High Elves would fight alongside the Empire? They look down on them, surely, but they've done it before. Teclis! The Empire wouldn't even have colleges of magic if it weren't for the High Elves. High Elves are seafarers and frequently appear in human ports. A high elf force helped chace Mannfred von Carstein away from Marienburg once. High Elves also helped out during the Storm of Chaos campaign. They may not like humans or regard them as equals, but given the choice of letting Chaos or Orks run rampant or helping out some humans to steer them towards killing them, the High Elves would help the humans.

The same is true for Khorne and Slaanesh. Clearly the forces hate each other, but they are also both Chaos. Khorne and Slaanesh forces have marched together in the same armies, probably hating each other all the way but still doing so. You can make army lists in Warhammer with Khorne and Slaanesh elements under an undivided general, the same will be true here.

Realm vs. Realm does not mean mutual hugs and cooperation. Look at DAOC. Celts and Fir'bolg don't really trust Elves and Lurikeen in their own realm. The Church of Albion doesn't really trust Reavers and Necromancers. Realm vs. Realm is a matter of fighting the greater of two evils. If the High Elves fight with the Empire they are only using them for something (probably cannon fodder). The Empire would likewise be using the Elves for their power to save grief for their own soldiers.

Well said! I agree completely and think this the most probable scenario. thanks for citing previous examples, from Game Workshop, where High Elves and Empire have fought TOGETHER against a common enemy, even for prolonged time during the Storm of Chaos campaign.

Maybe anofayle can tell us why he believe so fervently that High elves and empire will never mix despise having  done so in the past and high elves being the foundation of imperial magic?

Nalaeph

Novice Member

OP  1/26/06 10:11:28 AM#20

Some great and informative posts there! Especially the link to Mark's posts is much appreciated.

One realm for chaos makes sense I guess, I just wonder how they'd handle the introduction of the undead races and skaven into the game. He after all mentioned, that they eventually want all races in the game. They can't just toss one of each into an existing realm, can they? Maybe a fourth realm in a future expansion?

2 Pages 1 2 » Search