Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | EverQuest | Pirate101

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,337 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,848
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » why not Warhammer 40,000?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
50 posts found
  Nalaeph

Novice Member

12/30/05 7:59:14 AM#21

I'm not an expert when it comes to Warhammer or Warhammer 40k, I just played DoW and read up on the story on some websites, but from what I get the medieval version lends itself more to Role Playing then the 40k version. There already seems to be a tabletop rpg for it, while 40k seems to be all about grand strategy.

I don't think this game could do 40k justice with it's thousands of worlds, huge clashing armies and entire worlds being destroyed. Even if they could through some miracle, I'm not sure if people would enjoy being grunt number 12397654 in the Orcish army...

Bombastuss

Novice Member

1/01/06 2:07:27 AM#22

Well one thing that'd be a big problem witha 40k imho is that many would want to play as Space Marines... And the space marines are like uber-soldiers and with many space marines it'd create a inblanace... Or just make the Space marines a stupid race... Well I don't rly know...

P.S. Just need to say that Chaos marines almost are stronger (not sure please don't kill me) and seeing how many want's to play Chaos in Warhammer Online probably means that the same amount wants to play them in a 40k game...

(This might make no sense at all to anyone but I can't really think of a way to write it at the moment... Really tierd...)

ScottElwood

Novice Member

1/01/06 2:32:38 AM#23

To clarify:

The Space Marines hold a really biased popularity within the Warhammer 40k Community. Since there are many chapters within the Space Marine army, this then creates even more of an attraction to play as them.

No intention to sound mean but Space Marines are just as strong as Chaos Space Marines when it comes to ranged combat, since they use the same weaponry.

One other reason why it would be hard to create is because some races depend heavily on close combat to win at battles,such as the orks, which would be very hard to create and balance in a video game.

Armies such as Imperial Guard and Orks also rely on large numbers to complete their objectives, which then already creates an inbalance of populations of armies.

If they found a way to solve these areas then I would buy it in a heartbeat, but at this time I would think of it as being too ambitious for developers to take on as a project.

---------------------------------------------------
| www.40ksource.net - 40k MMO fansite

gargantroo

Novice Member

Quoting yourself is stupid.
-Me

OP  1/04/06 1:38:19 AM#24

It seemed the whole game was heavily reliant on close combat. Just about any class used a gun, they werent very strong though. It'd be like a rogue shooting a bow in WOW. Sure, it does damage, but you can do alot more melee

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there

Wertbag

Novice Member

1/04/06 5:53:29 PM#25

Warhammer Fantasy PC games:

Warhammer Online

Mark of Chaos

Shadow of the Horned Rat

Dark Omen

Blood Bowl

Warhammer 40k PC games:

Rites of War

Final Liberation (Epic)

Space Hulk

Chaos Gate

Fire Warrior

Dawn of War (plus expansion)

And there was a Gorka Morka and another 40k fps planned but apparently cancelled.

Fairly even amounts of each game type, both having new good quality rts games (Dawn of war and Mark of Chaos) out or coming out shortly.

Personally I think 40k would work well for fps, and online match style events (such as Battlefield) where the number on each side and what equipment is supplied can be set by the map.  40k doesn’t lend itself to a MMORPG due to the size of the conflicts and the heavy reliance on range weapons (including artillery).

wiggler

Novice Member

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

1/09/06 3:14:52 PM#26
Fantasy, hands down. Playing the TT and RPG versions of both. Also, 40k opens up a lot more enviroment (other plants, etc) and this can be a nightmare for development as well as server cost (maintenance and $$). This enviroment factor is one of the reasons I felt turned off by SWG.
  stryker31

Novice Member

1/12/06 11:06:32 PM#27

heres what i think the biggest issues are. a, fantasy is easier to do, like said before, not as many enviornments, plus its familiar. 40k would open so many doors, that they couldnt really explore enough of them to make it really interesting, or they would spend too much time doing "cool" stuff, and not focussing on nstory and gameplay. plus in 40k what type of tyranid would they let you play. if any at all. plus like tyranids they have no armor other that whats on them, it just causes many issues. with fantasy you can incorporate enough stuf to keep everyone happy, and still hopefully do enough to make it different

Spawn_GR

Novice Member

1/13/06 8:32:27 PM#28

Well they could make Tyranids and Necrons mobs (npc) and focus the story on the Eye of Terror.I agree
40K fits more as am FPS than an RPG, but the could add some rpg elements like lvls, skills... (much like Planetside but better...) that would be great.I would by an 40k mmo on an insant.

Death to the Falce Emperor

noblot

Advanced Member

Today is a good day to Pwn someone

1/13/06 10:02:42 PM#29

If Warhammer is a success, then they would be foolish not to follow up with 40K. Paricularly as there isn't a particularly good Sci Fi mmorpg around at the moment.

Although they might be thinking that Star Trek Online is going to suck up all the Sci-Fi nuts :)

Spawn_GR

Novice Member

1/15/06 4:00:41 AM#30

Ok maybe Star Trek is more well known and has many fanatics (Trekies) and probably will attract a bigger market but there is just no comparison between 40k and Star Trek worlds.
40k RULEZ

Spoonthieve

Apprentice Member

hmm....

1/17/06 9:56:49 PM#31

I would also have prefered 40k myself. Too many big fantasy MMORPGs out there already, need more sci-fi! A Warhammer 40k MMORPG would totally rock!

=========================

Senden

Advanced Member

1/19/06 8:46:21 AM#32

It just wouldn't work with 40k, my knowledge of the warhammer universe isn't as good as it was but how would you make classes for 40k? What about playable races? Sure you could have space marines but they would be very limited to what they can be.

With warhammer, you have a lot more choices with all the races and classes and this way, we won't have a whole load of space marines around which is always a good thing.

Also as someone said, they don't want a turn based 40k game and when you think of all the guns, it wouldn't be a good idea to make it turn based either but ask S.O.E what mmorpg gamers think of swg and their combat system?

Also give GW a break, they don't have a clue about mmorpgs, they see WoW's sales and suddenly dollar signs appear in their eyes. Still, i believe this might just flop with all the current fantasy games in production, people will be sick of them.

s3nd3n Xfire Miniprofile
  Volkmar

Novice Member

1/21/06 10:53:50 AM#33

Well, i think they went with fantasy mainly for 2 reasons:

1) Mythic is known for DAoC, a fantasy RvR based MMorpg. Warhammer Fantasy fit the mold of DaoC like a glove so it was an obvious choice.

2) a WH40K MMorpg is hard to implement. why you think there is NO official PnP Game for wh40k? Because the universe, as told so far, simply do not click well as a RPG. Individuals in Warhammer 40k have the value of a nut. Space Marines are not soldiers, they are crazed zealots warrior monks with 0 free time completely dedicated to fight for the emperor.

A player Space Marine is not easy to do.... Same for the rest of the races actually. So, what to do? Make a MMorpg where every player is a lowly human/normal race? Surely there is a life outside war in the Warhammer 40k, but such life has A) never been fleshed out and B) is lived by relativly uninteresting people.

To make a WH40K Mmorpg would be to make an hard choice between A) Not allowing any player to be some of the uber soldiers/combatants like Space Marines, Eldar Aspect Warriors, Chaos marines, Ork Nobbs and so on

OR

Make them be it and to hell with the continuity.

OR

Makes the game about a certain offshot of Warhammer 40k, Necromunda. that game would be perfect for a mmorpg having already a semi-rpg feeling. The problem is that Necromunda is no way as popular as Father 40k.

I think a MMO based on 40k is possible, but not a RPG. a MMORTS fits better the game and the setting.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

- My New World of Darkness Tabletop RPG Blog:
http://realmofroleplay.com/?cat=19

W.A.R

Apprentice Member

1/24/06 10:19:58 AM#34

HI there - Warhammer 40k doens't have Orcs - it has Orks!

;)

i11umin8ted

Novice Member

1/24/06 4:48:27 PM#35

A 40K based MMO would be a rather difficult thing to build. Though the universe besides the table-top battles is fleshed out in various books and whatnot the universe detailed within is huge. The imperium is made of millions of worlds with untold billions of people in it, and is set up in such a way that there are no real "main" planets that would be good for MMO play. Add this to the fact that the culture and language vary greatly from world to world, and we haven't even gotten into the other races detailed in the game. If they managed to do it, I would play it, but for now I'm satisfied with Warhammer Fantasy being the game, at least I will be if I get to play a Slayer. Oh yeah, and as Volkmar mentioned above, Necromunda has a setting that could make a great MMO, and it's set in the 40K universe.

vipjerry

Novice Member

1/26/06 1:44:17 AM#36

Very stupid idea to make WOW clone i just cant figure it out why would they do this?!

On the other hand, if they do 40k it would be new, refreshing and original.

Is there one single reason why would one play this game? Nothing new, unoriginal settings, boring story etc etc.

This game is destined to fail again.

Sorry guys but we have WoW already i don’t think we need another one!!!

glhf

Nalaeph

Novice Member

1/26/06 10:02:52 AM#37

Originally posted by vipjerry
Very stupid idea to make WOW clone i just cant figure it out why would they do this?!
On the other hand, if they do 40k it would be new, refreshing and original.
Is there one single reason why would one play this game? Nothing new, unoriginal settings, boring story etc etc.
This game is destined to fail again.
Sorry guys but we have WoW already i don’t think we need another one!!!
glhf

Well now, there we got a solid post based on hard facts. If you think it'll fail because it's fantasy (omg, it's got elfs and dwarves! plagiarism!) and thus MUST be just like WoW, then that's ridiculous. Maybe you should read more then 3 lines about a project before judgeing it.

vipjerry

Novice Member

1/27/06 1:14:03 AM#38

Originally posted by Nalaeph

Well now, there we got a solid post based on hard facts. If you think it'll fail because it's fantasy (omg, it's got elfs and dwarves! plagiarism!) and thus MUST be just like WoW, then that's ridiculous. Maybe you should read more then 3 lines about a project before judgeing it.

I did m8 and i dont see nothing new. How can this game differ from the rest of the Fantasy MMOs.

Help me out to open my eyes if you know something about this game that we didnt see before or at least we didnt see in WoW...

razzielle

Apprentice Member

"She turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "....I got better....."

1/27/06 4:22:46 AM#39

Please never insult WAR by calling it WOW ever again.

Obvious differences that will be seen:

1)  NO KIDDY GRAPHICS.  This is mythic making the game so the graphics will be much more realistic than seeing an elf with 2 foot tall ears dancing like Micheal Jackson.

2)  And again since this is being made by mythic, the RVR function will be much, much better than WoW's (gotta do those 30 insta bg's that last 15 minutes so you don't get too worked up and have to take your ritalin).

3)  Do you even know about the storyline of War and how each race is connected?  Maybe even the fact that War is how 40,000 was even created.  And Mordheim for that matter.

4)  From what I've seen WAR is gonna be setup realm wise like DAOC.  So unlike WOW where its good vs. bad but your going to get the ugly coming into your flank as well. 

Not to mention I'm expecting a much better community in this game than what wow has.  There the kiddies go around pretending to be bad-a$$ and talking smack to anyone and everyone.  Theres no control over them.  When WAR opens up 99% of them will stay there 'L337 pwning' while the 1% will try to be big shot here.

And don't worry about 40K,  I'm almost positive that will be out next.  You just have to know how GW works

Nalaeph

Novice Member

1/27/06 4:49:27 AM#40

Originally posted by vipjerry

I did m8 and i dont see nothing new. How can this game differ from the rest of the Fantasy MMOs.
Help me out to open my eyes if you know something about this game that we didnt see before or at least we didnt see in WoW...

It will be a Realm vs. Realm game like Dark Age of Camelot. And while they've said that they don't want to copy daoc's RvR system but make an unique one that suits the Warhammer universe, I think it's still a safe bet that PvP will actually matter and you can make a difference. Taking and defending Forts/Cities can be a lot of fun.

WoW's pvp system does nothing of that sort. It's all instanced (I actually think Battlegrounds made wow worse, I had a lot of fun attacking/defending towns before they introduced them, even if there was nothing to be gained from that. Quit out of boredome shortly after.) and after you're done with your match it's forgotten.. it doesn't really matter if you've won or lost either. Just another grind, really.

If you haven't played daoc you should download the 14 day trial, but now I'm going a bit off topic! ::::11::

Anyway, it doesn't matter for me if it's 40k of fantasy as long as Mythic can create an engaging RvR environment.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search