Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Pirate101 | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,691 Users Online:0
Games:752  Posts:6,270,325
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
51 posts found
  DamonVile

Hard Core Member

7/29/14 10:15:49 PM#21
Originally posted by Distopia
Originally posted by DamonVile
Originally posted by DMKano

Just goes to show you, how different our tastes are.

WAR to me is the worst AAA MMORPG I've played period.

Give it a few years here and it will be right in there with SWG as the best game ever made.

For some it may be, and so what if it is?

Nothing at all. Having all these people living in the past keeps them out of my future.

Solar_Prophet

Elite Member

WAAAGH!

7/29/14 10:48:15 PM#22

WAR was a decent game, it just used an engine and server structure which couldn't handle the type of massive PvP they were attempting to provide. Unfortunately for them, neither of those things are easily or expeditiously fixable. Add in the constant back and forth which is PvP class balance, with a dash of unfinished content due to the game being rushed out the door too early, and you've got a game which the notoriously finicky MMORPG player base can (and did) completely pick apart.

A shame, too. It was one of the few games I've played I actually enjoyed PvP'ing in. One innovation which still to this day has not to my knowledge been replicated by any MMO since is the fact that your shield's block chance also applied to spells with projectiles. No developer since has understood that, if I've got a big-ass shield and see a fireball coming my way, I'm going to hide behind the damn shield same as I would if I saw an arrow, musket ball, or other projectile coming. Okay, I guess you can't really see a musket ball... but the point still stands!

Miss my Black Orc. Tankiest character I've ever played, often took multiple players to bring me down. Yeah the damage wasn't that great, but with the array of CC, self-heals, and debuffs available to me you sure as hell weren't going to get away or kill me anytime soon. Plus the fact that the game actually had collision in PvP meant I could actually fill my role as a tank and protect the squishier classes properly.

Sigh... someone let me know when a PvP game with a real tank class gets made again.

MMORPG's are thriving. There are hundreds available today, with different settings, mechanics, and even payment models to suit anyone's gaming needs. If you can't find one to call your own, then the problem isn't the genre... it's YOU.

centkin

Hard Core Member

7/29/14 11:29:33 PM#23

What killed warhammer in the long run was the inbalance between order and chaos.  When there are that many more chaos people than order, you end up in altdorf constantly.

What they really should have done was have a balance shift by moon phase.  If at new moon, order had a 25% bonus, and at full moon chaos had a 25% bonus with it scaling down to 0% at the half moon, then even on servers that were somewhat inbalanced, the losing faction would have a few days per month to try to push the opposing capital.

WhiteCross

Novice Member

7/29/14 11:41:23 PM#24

Say what you want, I thought WAR RvR and battlegrounds were a blast to play.

I remember playing my Ironbreaker in a battleground with lava around us. This was the only time in my MMO history where i would have to stop playing to wipe the tears from my eyes cause I couldn't see. I was laughing so hard knocking people into the lava and watching them jump around trying to get out! LOL...so much fun.

As of to date, I still cant find a game that beats WAR RvR...was a blast to play.

PvE...was awful though, lol.

MikeB

MMORPG.com Community Manager

7/30/14 12:03:24 AM#25
I miss Nordenwatch and my White Lion. :(

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Nemesis7884

Hard Core Member

7/30/14 12:08:29 AM#26
Originally posted by Gorwe
I want another Warhammer mmorpg and I want a Warhammer RPG even more, but...

WAR??? Really? He was sick and dying ever since he emerged. Let him rest in peace. He deserves at least as much after all that EA and, especially, Mythic did to him.

for some weird reason i'd really like to get back into war now...i really enjoyed the game (well im a warhammer lore fan) - and it was probably the mmo where i did the most pvp...i didnt think it was all that bad as people made it out to be...

they can also reskin eqn with wh style  and lore...fine by me too :-)

wh just has the best style and lore...

Bigdaddyx

Elite Member

7/30/14 12:09:11 AM#27
Originally posted by Distopia

Give it a few years here and it will be right in there with SWG as the best game ever made.

For some it may be, and so what if it is?

Nothing at all. Having all these people living in the past keeps them out of my future.

Ok. But this isn't about you.

Nemesis7884

Hard Core Member

7/30/14 12:09:47 AM#28
Originally posted by centkin

What killed warhammer in the long run was the inbalance between order and chaos.  When there are that many more chaos people than order, you end up in altdorf constantly

well thats exactly how all the poor humies in the warhammer world are feeling lol

UltorX

Novice Member

7/30/14 4:46:47 AM#29

Loved leveling through open world PvP in WAR, but in later tiers most people just did scenarios and that killed it.

They wanted to put far too much stuff into to game for its scheduled release date. Ended up with unbalanced untested PvP and weak PvE endgame. Add to that horrible post launch dev support and here we are.

Would play it again just for the setting and awesome classes though.

askdaboss

Novice Member

7/30/14 5:42:22 AM#30
Originally posted by The.agG

Along with Vanguard as well....

Hilarious, and true.

That said, I enjoyed playing WAR for a while, skills were good and fun, but the actual combat was a bit stiff.

KaosLegion

Apprentice Member

7/30/14 5:48:56 AM#31
Google age of reckoning for the revival project
  Bulldoze

Novice Member

7/30/14 6:00:54 AM#32

http://www.warhammer-server.com/

Looks legit

Edit: It's been closed down but the code is up for grabs if anyone fancies the task

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

punkindonuts

Hard Core Member

7/30/14 6:34:55 AM#33
Originally posted by KaosLegion
Google age of reckoning for the revival project

you mean Return Of Reckoning, its still very early days though but the more the merrier

WOAOR

Novice Member

7/30/14 10:18:20 AM#34
Hello Community ! There is this Warhammer Online Privat Server Project - http://www.returnofreckoning.com/index.php If you want to help fixing stuff you can join IRC here - http://www.war-emu.com/index.php?sid=59757dd1c0699703419749e5e2aba2ca and offer your help ! See you all on the bloody battlefields ! Greetings
  Varthander

Advanced Member

Forum ranks are useless.

7/30/14 10:21:52 AM#35
One can only wish... i really miss WAR.

greenreen

Advanced Member

7/30/14 11:11:26 AM#36

Yeah War was a game I did like but I left because of a community issue. I have a little place for them in memory as the game that didn't just convert everything to a cash shop to try to stay in the game. For them I think some of it was timing. People were playing the free games and became enraptured but now those games are showing their true colors so a good PVP game could squeeze back in. I remember having fun doing PVP there and I don't think I ever felt like I had to join a guild. That made the game available anytime I felt like playing. Same with the public quests. It's also one of the last games I remember playing alts and liking having different toons instead of feeling like I had to focus on one to stay ahead.

For anyone holding out hope - remember the Twinkie. It was once off the shelves and returned. You never know.

In the meantime you can watch Camelot Unchained with me. They have some people from the Warhammer team there. I've been watching their talks off and on seeing what's inside their noggins.

daltanious

Elite Member

7/31/14 7:22:23 AM#37
Originally posted by wiscel
Very disappointed in TESO, GW2, Rift and so on, please bring Warhammer Online back!

Never enjoyed at all so much in pvp scenarios as in this game :-), was incredibly fun, mainly catapulting somebody into lava. :-)  Left when respawn rate of mobs become was so terrible, one could not progress past second group before first respawned ... later tried to return ... had plans just when servers closing was announced. I'm sorry they closed even if games was just filler when needed break from Wow or Swtor.

Agent_Joseph

Advanced Member

7/31/14 8:37:10 AM#38
Originally posted by Chrisbox
I'd play WAR if it came back.  Game was a blast.

same here

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

loulaki

Apprentice Member

7/31/14 8:40:23 AM#39
Originally posted by wiscel
Very disappointed in TESO, GW2, Rift and so on, please bring Warhammer Online back!

Warhammer 40k is on the way !!!

centkin

Hard Core Member

7/31/14 9:24:24 AM#40
Thing is, they could have strict limits on the number of chaos vs order, trying to keep things relatively balanced, add a mechanic that gives bonuses to one side or the other due to phases of the moon, multiply basic exp rewards by five, and re-release with everyone starting at level 1.  People might try it who never played it before.
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search