Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,002 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,091
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » The BEST MMORPG ever! Let me explain why

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
26 posts found
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

5/29/12 10:34:55 AM#21
Originally posted by UnleadedRev

I played DAOC, but didnt like it, but that was a long time ago.

I am in the GW2 BETA and do like it alot.

Alot has changed, for example , bag rolls are no longer random loot, also FRR is plentiful as is XP. There is alot less waiting around and more playing. Also, at least in T2 the WBs are very very organized.

I love crafting in WAR, but hate it in other MMOs. Talismans are the way to go!

The game was good population all weekend (Memorial Day).

Now for the bad:

1) Pre - RR increase toons are at a disadvantage. Especially Tanks. However, my 22/26 Warpriest is getting RR 4x faster than my KOTBS ever did. Ranged always seems to have the advantage in this.

2) Non-Peak hours are brutal...its 9:30am Eastern Tine USA here and the game is dead...no Warbands, no RvR, cant even do Scenarios. Only quests....

3) I hate the emblem Medallion System...forget about getting Emblems (For weapons)  as the Scenarios just do not pop. Thus, i am relying on renown vendors for my weapons. I curse WoW for creating a token system everyone copies.

Now having said all this, last night players were repeatidly saying things like "This is the most fun I have ever had", "I love this game", "that battle was the most epic ", so clearly everyone was having a great time.

But...then again it was peak time....unlike now in the morning during the week.

DAOC had this issue somewhat back in the day, at least on the MLF server.  Only thing that kept it more interesting is MLF was an unnofficial EU transfer server and the official Japan transfer server (when their servers closed) so we had a lot more offshore activity during non-US primetime with Euro's in particular rampaging across keeps and forcing us to retake them late in the day or early evenings.

WAR could have been a real contender, but it's missing many of the things that gave DAOC it's charm, specifically a real reason (cause) to fight for.

Back in it's heyday, people fought RVR because controlling the most frontier keeps meant your realm got sole access to Darkness falls, which was the primary PVE money generator and allowed for epic battles when another realm gained possession and then swarmed in to try and oust the previous owners.

Not sure WAR has any sort of similar cause to fight for (DAOC no longer does either, which is one reason why its population remains small, the only folks left PVP strictly for the fun of it, (IMO) but that wasn't the core audiance back in the day)

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ewanis

Advanced Member

5/29/12 10:47:29 AM#22

I love the game and i keep coming back to it after i get bored with others (Aion, Rift, Swtor). 100 RR Shamie FTW ! :)

ZigZags

Novice Member

6/13/12 5:33:43 PM#23

Nice try. This game was fun for a while but MMOs are not meant to be funnels and directed maps. They should be open, explorable, make you nervous at every turn.

WAR was like entering the turn style at Disneyland...."OK guys where to first, Fantasy Elf land or Scary Ork Fort"....

Now: Skyrim
Later: ?
Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

6/13/12 5:37:14 PM#24
Daoc, the only themepark where "end game" was more fun than the leveling game
  Methos12

Hard Core Member

Its better to be quiet and perceived as stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

6/13/12 5:41:04 PM#25
Originally posted by ZigZags

WAR was like entering the turn style at Disneyland...."OK guys where to first, Fantasy Elf land or Scary Ork Fort"....

Which reminds me of something. Funneling all new players into Empire vs Chaos pairing despite their race choice might've been a good idea to bring people together, but they've absolutely wasted the best starting pairing - Dwarf vs Greenskin. Hell, I'd argue that was the best zone in the entire game thanks to how they nailed the atmosphere so perfectly.

For shame, WAR, for shame.

Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
Magic without Technology is fantasy.
Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.

Calhoun619

Novice Member

6/13/12 5:44:28 PM#26
Originally posted by JT

Guess your still a pup and have never played Dark Age of Camelot.

Nice read, but im gonna go ahead and say This^.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search