Trending Games | Wizard101 | Cabal 2 | Pirate101 | Lord of the Rings Online

Network:  RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,975,195 Users Online:0
Games:817  Posts:6,418,047
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Setting:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
36 posts found
  fenistil

Novice Member

10/02/11 10:25:36 AM#21

Warhammer is dead becasue :

a) they finished game that was badly unfinished , even though they spend so long to develop...

b) ignoring obvious bugs, flaws ,etc

c) crashes and bad performance during battles & sieges

d) did I say game was unfinished?  

Game released at state Warhammer was , has NO chance at all to survive in mainstream marktet.

All rushed , unfinished 'big' mmorpg productions failed - Warhammer , Vanguard, Age of Conan, FFXIV.   Not to mention smaller titles as STO , FE, MO.

Market won't tolerate unfinished , buggy games anymore.  They will all fail.

Maybe some indie productions can still go even if released unfinihsed but that's just exception providing general rule.

Gorwe

Elite Member

10/02/11 10:31:50 AM#22

Again: EVERYONE involved is GUILTY by some degree(MYTHIC AND EA AND INTERNET AND USERS).

Mythic-because of lazyness and overall poor performance

Evil Arts-For crushing Mythic(deadlines...why do they even exist)

Internet-the hype machine+ is guilty here(WoW killer et al)

Users-Trust they gave aforementioned three resulted in a lot of broken hearts 

Period.

Shatter30

Apprentice Member

10/02/11 10:34:04 AM#23

WAR largely failed due to the developers being pretty clueless.  They focused more on PvE instead of the PvP end which should been first priority and it took far too long to "fix" it.  Even today over 3 years later crafting is still a huge mess. 

Z3R01

Novice Member

MMO gamer since 1997

10/02/11 10:46:38 AM#24

WAR had so much potential.

Too bad the world pvp was so under-developed, Pve was almost non-existent and crafting forgettable.

A mmo needs to be well rounded, WAR suffered because it was all a big Scenario love fest.

Quest hubs were empty, Public quests were left deserted and players were forced to solo grind stage 1s.

Dungeons were damn near non-existent, Orvr was nothing but flipping keeps while ignoring objectives.

Endgame was more Pve based than pvp and the classes were horribly unblanced.

So much wen't wrong...

TO this day I still love the artstyle and all the classes but thats not enough to go back since the games glaring issues havent been resolved.

Such a shame.

Playing: None

Waiting on: None

channel84

Novice Member

10/02/11 12:51:39 PM#25
Originally posted by tawess

No need to re-state the part about BW in relation to WAR... But if you fail to understand why BW can't really do anythying to "save" WAR... Then nothing i say will have a impact either.

SW:TOR builds on the concept and formula of the previous SP roleplaying games released. And while the MMO tag ups the ante it will at the very least be a decent SP games and as such my comment still stands. Mythic inherited the honors of making a Warhammer MMO after the first company failed... Hard... They tried to do to much and had to little/could not manage time and ended up with punting a half-done game out the door.

Anything less then a NGE-Style makeover would be to little. And that cost a ton of money.

"BW can't really do anythying to "save" WAR"

Then why even try and take control to fix it? Y not just leave it, instead of getting involve in revamping it? Step taken by bioware to improve WAR = a few dungeon to grind + cash shop + overhype skaven. They tried and fail....y even attempt to try when they know they can't? Don't they have better things to do?

And now they're trying to launch a moba warhammer spin off zzz

"SW:TOR builds on the concept and formula of the previous SP roleplaying games released. And while the MMO tag ups the ante it will at the very least be a decent SP games and as such my comment still stands"

Yea right...building a world for 1 shepard is the same with building a world for millions of shepard...brilliant argument.

Gorwe

Elite Member

10/02/11 2:49:25 PM#26
There is one more component of Mythic's fail:
They did not want to see their idea through fully.

What I mean by that is the fact that WAR has been designed as PvE+Scenario+Open World PvP game, and it is only natural to assume that if they had gone through with that kind of game, the following would happen:
PvE+Scenario+OPvP+Warhammer IP=Big Win

However, the whiney brats came from DAoC and they ruined WAR forever. How you ask? Firstly, they obtained Beta keys and impudently assumed that WAR was meant to be DAoC 2.0(which it wasn't meant to be).
Secondly, they organized MASSIVE whine fests on WAR forums how there was no RvR in WAR...so Mythic in its Endless weakness/stupidity quickly put half-baked RvR in game that wasn't meant to support it...that by itself put loads of bugs/glitches/discrepencies into the game.
Finally, the results were/are visible instantly.

tldr: They should have been more prudent and should have said said following to DAoC fans: "We're very sorry, but if you want to play RvR->DAoC is that way. WAR is a game with its systems without a RvR system. Thank you for your cooperation/support. Yours truely...Mythic"
  Mmocount

Novice Member

10/03/11 3:23:25 AM#27
Originally posted by channel84
Originally posted by tawess

No need to re-state the part about BW in relation to WAR... But if you fail to understand why BW can't really do anythying to "save" WAR... Then nothing i say will have a impact either.

SW:TOR builds on the concept and formula of the previous SP roleplaying games released. And while the MMO tag ups the ante it will at the very least be a decent SP games and as such my comment still stands. Mythic inherited the honors of making a Warhammer MMO after the first company failed... Hard... They tried to do to much and had to little/could not manage time and ended up with punting a half-done game out the door.

Anything less then a NGE-Style makeover would be to little. And that cost a ton of money.

"BW can't really do anythying to "save" WAR"

Then why even try and take control to fix it? Y not just leave it, instead of getting involve in revamping it? Step taken by bioware to improve WAR = a few dungeon to grind + cash shop + overhype skaven. They tried and fail....y even attempt to try when they know they can't? Don't they have better things to do?

And now they're trying to launch a moba warhammer spin off zzz

"SW:TOR builds on the concept and formula of the previous SP roleplaying games released. And while the MMO tag ups the ante it will at the very least be a decent SP games and as such my comment still stands"

Yea right...building a world for 1 shepard is the same with building a world for millions of shepard...brilliant argument.

Um, you're mistaken in the assumption that Bioware took control of anything over at Mythic offices.

Mythic -> EA. That's what happened first. Then WAR kind of Bombed. And then they downsized and downsized Mythic, and started putting Mythic 'expertise' to work on SWTOR (as they mentioned several times). Then they reduced expenses even more by simply putting Mythic under the Bioware group (this is where MJ was given his leave).

Sure, it's officially part of Bioware now, but there's never been any indication that anyone of Bioware has had any direct input into WAR. Bioware has their own MMO to work on, which still has EA's support. That has been the focus, not WAR. WAR's been left to chug on with the remainder of people who weren't fired/relocated to TOR.

xBludx

Apprentice Member

10/03/11 3:26:19 AM#28
Originally posted by jvxmtg

I actually liked this game...only if they didnt focused so much about the PvP and actually make things work for PvE players.

I thought that while playing Rift. If they could have just put Rift PvE and WAR PvP together (with necessary adjustments) in one game....THAT would have been something interesting.

teakbois

Apprentice Member

10/03/11 3:30:04 AM#29

I would *kill* for a system like WAR's ToK in a quality PvE game like WoW, EQ2, or Rift.  My favorite MMORPG concept in years.  Yes, it was basically achievements, but achievements done right.

Gorwe

Elite Member

10/03/11 7:21:10 PM#30
What's so exciting about Tome? The part where you have to KILL THOUSANDS of creatures for a knick-knack? Or maybe the part where you have to hike every berg to get letters?

I agree that it IS a good idea, executed VERY badly(Like everything that Mythic's done in past few years-or in WAR).
  Gorwe

Elite Member

10/03/11 7:23:02 PM#31
Rift PvE+WAR RvR+GW PvP=Guild Wars 2

Sorry for double post(IPhone).
  Camthylion

Novice Member

10/12/11 10:47:36 PM#32

Companies will learn the hard way over and over I guess.  Crappy arse graphics/paper doll/lifeless looking beings and crappy PvE won't keep anyone around for long. WAR had fun PvP mini games, and that's about it... the battlegrounds were okay but nothing amazing.  I have thought from time to time to pick back up on my lvl 30 black guard and complete the game.  I then look at the graphics, the enviroment and the general sense of the game, and I lose interest fast.

The game was poorly designed and a lacking clone of WoW, the only thing it had going for it was half decent PvP. Today what?  30% of people buying MMOs wanna PvP hardcore...  If the game had put more effort into more armor, better models and better characte creation/develepment it mighta been a hot number by now.

RavingRabbid

Apprentice Member

Remember Rabbids cant play MMO's, but they can dance!

10/12/11 10:51:30 PM#33
Originally posted by Camthylion

Companies will learn the hard way over and over I guess.  Crappy arse graphics/paper doll/lifeless looking beings and crappy PvE won't keep anyone around for long. WAR had fun PvP mini games, and that's about it... the battlegrounds were okay but nothing amazing.  I have thought from time to time to pick back up on my lvl 30 black guard and complete the game.  I then look at the graphics, the enviroment and the general sense of the game, and I lose interest fast.

The game was poorly designed and a lacking clone of WoW, the only thing it had going for it was half decent PvP. Today what?  30% of people buying MMOs wanna PvP hardcore...  If the game had put more effort into more armor, better models and better characte creation/develepment it mighta been a hot number by now.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...except the wow clone part.....

***Dances with hot hot Dark elf sorceress!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
Playing: SWTOR, Marvel Heroes and WOT.

AC1074

Apprentice Member

10/16/11 6:25:10 PM#34
Originally posted by RavingRabbid
Originally posted by Camthylion

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner...except the wow clone part.....

***Dances with hot hot Dark elf sorceress!***

WAR may not be the perfect game but I don't see what you are seeing here. WAR's graphics are pretty damn good. Have you paid attention to some of the detail in the weapons, armor and environments?? Not to mention the Orc models are probably the best looking ever.The game looks pretty good. Some of you need to upgrade your graphics card or something.

Omnifish

Advanced Member

I'll kick your a**e so hard, you could build a swimming pool in the footprint!

10/17/11 8:26:17 PM#35

I still think WAR failed because of two main reasons, that relate to each other.

1) The developers hyped the crap out of the game and couldn't deliver on most of their promises.  Sure some of the ideas were great, (PQ's, Tome of Knowledge, Lake RVR), but when you don't mention that most of the race cities and some of the classes won't be in at launch but not mention that till a month before release, alarm bells start ringing.  Thats not to mention the other features that never made the light of day, (armour/appearence changes with levelup/achievements anyone?), or the fact that most of this was done through Paul whathe'sname talking and no actual footage late into the development cycle, then more alarm bells ringing.

2) The beta, as others have said, was a disaster.  Mythic only seemed to be interested in positive feedback, 'Trust but verify' in action really.

It's a shame, the game should have been so much more.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Icewhite

Made History

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

10/17/11 9:45:16 PM#36
Originally posted by fenistil

a) they finished game that was badly unfinished , even though they spend so long to develop...

After three years, that's really all I remember about the game.  Unfinished and they didn't work hard/fast enough to patch the leaks.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search