Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,857,448 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,228
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Topic: Warhammer Online To Go F2P In 2012

18 posts found
  Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 3:18:50 AM#1

***This is not an Official Announcement, just a topic and opinion.***

Game Description:

"Mythic's Warhammer Online does what Mythic does best - specialize in Realm vs Realm combat. Jumping off of their achievements in Dark Age of Camelot,

Drawing inspiration from various aspects of the Warhammer universe, WAR pits the two sides -- Order and Destruction -- against each other in four battle modes that include instanced combat, skirmishes, and invasion of enemy territory ("Campaigns"). The races of Order are the Dwarfs, Empire, and High Elves; while Destruction features Greenskins, Chaos, and Dark Elves.

Unique to the RvR focus is that even PvE interaction and quests can affect the outcome of RvR combat, letting players contribute to their side even without engaging directly. There are also large sieges and keep battles, featuring up to 18 on a side. In addition to the RvR focus, the game does feature quests and other traditional leveling options. A major free update, Land of the Dead, was released in 2009 and added entire new areas, new traps, and new methods to foil the enemy." -MMORPG.com

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8O4mtkJRs&feature=feedu

Question of the video and of this post: Do you think Warhammer Online should go F2P in 2012?

Cant wait to hear your thoughts!

Zach Sharpes

Varthander

Apprentice Member

Forum ranks are useless.

9/14/11 3:24:54 AM#2

Of course it should, but it will never become f2p i fear, the game will end like SWG for sure and of course thats a real shame.

But no doubt that if WAR become f2p it will be flooded very fast, me personaly found the best pvp of all my life in that game "in mmo genre i mean".

Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 3:26:43 AM#3
Originally posted by Varthander

Of course it should, but it will never become f2p i fear, the game will end like SWG for sure and of course thats a real shame.

But no doubt that if WAR become f2p it will be flooded very fast, me personaly found the best pvp of all my life in that game "in mmo genre i mean".

^ Exactly what I think. 

User Deleted
9/14/11 3:27:28 AM#4

We're already seeing the f2p release of WAR...it's a MOBA called Wrath of Heroes.  That's as close as we're going to get to a f2p WAR methinks.

Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 3:43:08 AM#5
Originally posted by MMOtoGO

We're already seeing the f2p release of WAR...it's a MOBA called Wrath of Heroes.  That's as close as we're going to get to a f2p WAR methinks.

I sure hope thats not all we will get. Id hate to see WAR die because its a great game, just has a very bad population issue like Vanguard has.

richarddoyle

Novice Member

9/14/11 1:59:55 PM#6

Would have liked to see WAR go F2P

I really enjoyed the game until T4

If it were f2p I'd definitely go back

A lot of people like to hate on this game because of how untrue it was to the GW warhammer

But it still had a lot of potential, and a really cool art style

It would be sad to see it fail completely when f2p would probably revive it like it has revived other games with diminishing populations.

Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 7:08:04 PM#7
Originally posted by jch128

Would have liked to see WAR go F2P

I really enjoyed the game until T4

If it were f2p I'd definitely go back

A lot of people like to hate on this game because of how untrue it was to the GW warhammer

But it still had a lot of potential, and a really cool art style

It would be sad to see it fail completely when f2p would probably revive it like it has revived other games with diminishing populations.

I agree, the game was very good and underrated because of elitists to the GW warhammer, plus it released with some issues, but just like AoC is, its now polished like crazy. 

Kabaal

Advanced Member

Haggis Humper

9/14/11 7:10:42 PM#8

They answered this on the official forums recently, they have no plans for WAR to go F2P at all.

Worstluck

Novice Member

No man controls my destiny... especially not one who attacks downwind and stinks of garlic.

9/14/11 7:11:30 PM#9

I really wish they would just shut it down.  One of the more frustrating MMO experiences of gaming life.  it should have been free to play a long time ago.  It's just so annoying that they spent time and resources making some lame rip-off MOBA game instead of trying to fix this thing.  No f2p, just shut it down!

Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 7:17:00 PM#10
Originally posted by Kabaal

They answered this on the official forums recently, they have no plans for WAR to go F2P at all.

As of right now, im sure with the release of SWTOR and GW2 it will shine light on them. Especially because they already have a endless free trial which means they are already thinking of F2P. Of course they will not say it, but im sure its in the back of their minds.

Kabaal

Advanced Member

Haggis Humper

9/14/11 7:24:13 PM#11

I doubt it, the subject keeps coming up time and time again. Normally they just ignore the players asking for F2P but the second their MOBA spin off went into beta they all of a sudden start answering threads saying that F2P is in no way shape or form coming for the MMO. Believing otherwise at this point is just wishful thinking as I don't know how much clearer they can make it now they've already stated it won't happen combined with multiple videos of their staff slating the game while praising their spin off.

Geowash

Novice Member

OP  9/14/11 7:26:42 PM#12

I doubt it, the subject keeps coming up time and time again. Normally they just ignore the players asking for F2P but the second their MOBA spin off went into beta they all of a sudden start answering threads saying that F2P is in no way shape or form coming for the MMO. Believing otherwise at this point is just wishful thinking as I don't know how much clearer they can make it now they've already stated it won't happen combined with multiple videos of their staff slating the game while praising their spin off.

Yes but I bet AoC and LoTRO did the same till they hit rock bottom on subscriptions. EA just doesnt see profit in it right now, but after huge releases in the AAA market, I bet the pros will out weigh the cons for EA. Its not wishful thinking, its basic economics. Either a game dies (Which I hope doesnt happen) or they go F2P for a little just to try it out. 

Cripnoah

Apprentice Member

9/15/11 12:51:20 AM#13

I'm kind of hoping they use the extra cash from the new arena game they're developing to inject it into war and fix it copletely. Hopefully F2P and a good ad campaign. I'd love to see this game rise from the ashes.

Asherz

Novice Member

9/15/11 7:43:22 AM#14

Lemme refresh ur memory: Game started with 750k, then dropped to 300k and what did mythic do? Still think mythic cares enough to grant us F2P and let us wonder what could have been? I sure dont.

Ahh, seriously, F2P is inevitable weather it happens tomorrow or in 5 years is a whole other question. It's no point discussing this, if mythic is ignorant, ppl should be too. That's no way to do business.

Even if the game goes F2P, I'm speaking for myself, I'm eventually gonna get tired of it because it's still glitchy and awkward, but at least I'll be done with it for good.

Kalfer

Advanced Member

9/15/11 7:45:26 AM#15

Unlike AoC, Warhammer has fundamental problems, deep within the design.

For one, the sluggish combat, the delayed server sided lag, or what the hell it is, that make controls un-tight and non-respossive. 

So many things in this game needs a serious overhaul. 

ZombieKen

Novice Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

9/15/11 7:48:40 AM#16

I agree.  The MOBA is a fast easy way to recoup costs and exploit existing assets without having to do a thorough fix and refit for an F2P conversion of WAR.  Also, didn't a good bit of the original development team end up with Trion for Rift?

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

Asherz

Novice Member

9/15/11 8:58:28 AM#17
Originally posted by Kalfer

Unlike AoC, Warhammer has fundamental problems, deep within the design.

For one, the sluggish combat, the delayed server sided lag, or what the hell it is, that make controls un-tight and non-respossive. 

So many things in this game needs a serious overhaul. 

Exactly.

Alanthus

Novice Member

9/16/11 7:34:30 AM#18

Doesn't really need to go F2P, it already has the worst of both worlds... subscription fee and purchasable stat enhancements etc. from the cash shop. Just cancelled after I read the official confirmation... sad end to so much promise...