Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | WildStar | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,644,700 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,078,485
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

17 posts found
  Jakard

Apprentice Member

OP  9/03/11 1:37:51 AM#1

The game has been out for a while. If you were a prospective new player. Would you consider playing this game? I've heard that it's very unfriendly towards new players and I've also heard that the population is so low that F2P is probably imminient. What do you think? Thanks.

thanoskkk

Novice Member

9/03/11 1:43:48 AM#2

Best way to find out is to play the trial, maybe do some /who while playing too. As far as i know most of the people are at lvl 1-10 area (f2p) and 30-40 areas.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

fooflinger

Novice Member

9/03/11 1:47:29 AM#3

I just re-subbed today along with my friend. I'm playing on Gorfang and all the tiers see a real lot of action. I don't know why WAR wouldn't be considered noob friendly, it's a pretty easy game to get into, and it doesen't take that long to rank up considering there's only 40 levels.  If you've ever played a themepark MMO like WoW, it shouldn't be difficult to get into at all. I'm pretty sure you can hit tier 4 in less than 2 weeks.

For all the people saying it's dead, for the first couple hours I played there was almost no Destruction to combat the Order, but at around 6:30 EST, they breeded like rabbits and went from 10 players to around 60 in a matter of minutes. The battle escalated and ended up having around 120 players. (was suprisingly balanced too.)  Each servers seem to have their peek time when a lot of people play. 

I can say that I had a hell of a lot of fun on my first day back and I look forward to hitting T4 for the first time soon. 

Waiting for: Archeage, Darkfall 2.0, and Planetside 2.

R.I.P Shadowbane; The best MMORPG I've ever played...

Check out my amateur gaming blog at: Thegamingbible.com

Jakard

Apprentice Member

OP  9/03/11 2:00:31 AM#4

Yeah.

I downloaded the trial a few days ago and haven't really played it much but what I have played, I really liked. Just wasn't really sure about the player population and one of the posts I read (don't remember which one) said it wasn't very easy for new players to get into, so I thought I would ask about that. I'll probably just play the trial a bit longer and then make my decision but definitely wanted to hear from some of the current players. Thanks!

Neiko

Novice Member

9/03/11 6:37:53 AM#5
Originally posted by fooflinger

I just re-subbed today along with my friend. I'm playing on Gorfang and all the tiers see a real lot of action. I don't know why WAR wouldn't be considered noob friendly, it's a pretty easy game to get into, and it doesen't take that long to rank up considering there's only 40 levels.  If you've ever played a themepark MMO like WoW, it shouldn't be difficult to get into at all. I'm pretty sure you can hit tier 4 in less than 2 weeks.

For all the people saying it's dead, for the first couple hours I played there was almost no Destruction to combat the Order, but at around 6:30 EST, they breeded like rabbits and went from 10 players to around 60 in a matter of minutes. The battle escalated and ended up having around 120 players. (was suprisingly balanced too.)  Each servers seem to have their peek time when a lot of people play. 

I can say that I had a hell of a lot of fun on my first day back and I look forward to hitting T4 for the first time soon. 

+1

Everyone thinks the game is dead. It isn't the most populated, but it isn't really anywhere near vanguard dead.

---------------

Kabaal

Apprentice Member

Haggis Humper

9/03/11 6:57:52 AM#6

The trial gives a skewed perspective on the game as T1 has plenty of other people on trials fighting each other in the lakes and plenty of scenarios popping. T2 & 3 have no scenarios popping other than a once in a blue moon "Holy bleep! An SC popped!" moments, those two tiers consist of flipping empty zones throughout the day other than during off peak hours when you may or may not end up with a decent fight to take a keep.

And yes, getting to 40 isn't hard but unless you are renown rank 70 by the time you hit 40 and enter T4 you are practically useless on most classes due to the massive gear gap, especially now when there are RR80-100's running around everywhere. That is where the being unfriendly to new players part comes in, is why T2 & 3 have no SC's and consists of players trying to gain as little XP as possible in order to keep their renown rank as high as possible before hitting T4. It is also why you'll find almost no one ever touches the PvE content, leaving the game an empty place outside of the lakes and capitol cities.

Population IS low, during peak times there is perhaps 3 or 400 people online on each side, but spread throughout the tiers. So while seeing 3 warbands fighting 3 warbands in the evening seems like a lot of people it really isn't in the overall scheme.

I like it, I play it, but I hate what the way they've done as much as they can to discourage new players from staying with it. It also doesn't help that the devs themselves seem to hate their own game. Here they are at Pax slagging off their own game while promoting their spin off game Wrath of Heroes http://uk.gamespot.com/events/pax2011/video.html?sid=6331587&pid=640105 It is painful to watch.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

nerovipus32

Advanced Member

9/03/11 7:02:28 AM#7
Originally posted by thanoskkk

Best way to find out is to play the trial, maybe do some /who while playing too. As far as i know most of the people are at lvl 1-10 area (f2p) and 30-40 areas.

if you do the 1-10 free trial you'll end up subbing because thats the best part of the game, its a good trick.

User Deleted
9/03/11 7:07:44 AM#8

I have fancied the thought of returning to WAR but just one visit to warhammeronline.com and I'm turned away.  They don't even try to make it look like they're keeping this game updated.  The news on the front page is from '09-'10.  If I didn't feel like the game was on it's last legs, I wouldn't mind investing some time it it.  It's alot better now than it was at launch, which was very buggy.

malganus4

Novice Member

9/03/11 7:10:21 AM#9

lol it depends what u mean doesnt take long,war 40 lvls take longer 2 times then wows 1-85,or even more,and mob grind is for bots,also sc dnt bother to pop after lvl 15.

No one dies virgin,life fcuk everyone.
Today is that day

fooflinger

Novice Member

9/03/11 4:21:24 PM#10
Originally posted by malganus4

lol it depends what u mean doesnt take long,war 40 lvls take longer 2 times then wows 1-85,or even more,and mob grind is for bots,also sc dnt bother to pop after lvl 15.

2 times longer than WoW's grind? Have you even played WAR?

Waiting for: Archeage, Darkfall 2.0, and Planetside 2.

R.I.P Shadowbane; The best MMORPG I've ever played...

Check out my amateur gaming blog at: Thegamingbible.com

manny702

Novice Member

9/04/11 1:54:34 AM#11

i really wanted to always play war but never had the system to play it now that i got a new gaming rig i find out that its a dying game that even the own company doesnt care about it that's a big turn off why do games do this all the damn fuucking time

Neiko

Novice Member

9/04/11 7:26:37 AM#12
Originally posted by manny702

i really wanted to always play war but never had the system to play it now that i got a new gaming rig i find out that its a dying game that even the own company doesnt care about it that's a big turn off why do games do this all the damn fuucking time

They still care about it. Sort of. It's not just on life support, but it's not their main attention anymore with SW:ToR around the corner. If you really want to play it, play it.

---------------

VoxTrooper

Novice Member

9/04/11 5:03:07 PM#13
Originally posted by fooflinger
Originally posted by malganus4

2 times longer than WoW's grind? Have you even played WAR?

To be fair you can hit max level in WoW and have decent gear in about a weeks time if you are efficient with leveling(efficient doesn’t mean ignoring ALLL text just everything you don’t care about) WARs leveling requires you to visit multiple zones before you can progress. So if i were to make a new Ironbreaker i would need to visit Dwarf lands, and then the same tier Empire to level completely.

Devs stopped caring long ago, the guys working on it now are a skeleton staff no originals, too much to fix not enough capital, and its time has passed. The only thing keeping it alive is it still has about 10% of its original subscriber base and most of them aren’t from launch. So each subscription prolongs its needed death.

Anyone that needs to know why this games death is needed check the bioware forums, notice that in game its a mess, and the only thing left to do is burn it for the insurance money.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

waynejr2

Advanced Member

RIP City of Heroes!

9/04/11 6:03:26 PM#14
Originally posted by MMOtoGO

I have fancied the thought of returning to WAR but just one visit to warhammeronline.com and I'm turned away.  They don't even try to make it look like they're keeping this game updated.  The news on the front page is from '09-'10.  If I didn't feel like the game was on it's last legs, I wouldn't mind investing some time it it.  It's alot better now than it was at launch, which was very buggy.

I checked it out and now they want to create an ea account but I don't know if I can transfer it to my swtor account or what.  Something that should be so simple.

Neiko

Novice Member

9/05/11 5:19:22 AM#15
Originally posted by VoxTrooperz
 To be fair you can hit max level in WoW and have decent gear in about a weeks time if you are efficient with leveling(efficient doesn’t mean ignoring ALLL text just everything you don’t care about) WARs leveling requires you to visit multiple zones before you can progress. So if i were to make a new Ironbreaker i would need to visit Dwarf lands, and then the same tier Empire to level completely.

When I played at launch, I didn't have to do much run around when I leveled up in the orc zones. I pretty just went straight on the pve path, and did pvp/rvr inbetween it all. The thing is though, now pretty much everyone levels up just off of RvR, so even if you still had to "run around between zones to level", it's not relevant anymore. Hardly anyone does the PvE now (which is a shame, I enjoyed the PQ's and few dungeons they had).

---------------

Karnage69

Novice Member

"Those who fight and run away live to fight another day."

9/05/11 5:27:12 AM#16
Originally posted by Neiko
Originally posted by VoxTrooperz

When I played at launch, I didn't have to do much run around when I leveled up in the orc zones. I pretty just went straight on the pve path, and did pvp/rvr inbetween it all. The thing is though, now pretty much everyone levels up just off of RvR, so even if you still had to "run around between zones to level", it's not relevant anymore. Hardly anyone does the PvE now (which is a shame, I enjoyed the PQ's and few dungeons they had).

Agreed. The PQ's were lots of fun, I just wish they scaled with the amount of people in the area, rather than being a set difficulty. With the low pop, its hard to find people willing to do the more extreme PQs and nearly impossible with only 2 or 3 people. It gets boring grinding the same PQ over and over for influence.

On a side note : LOVED playing my Archmage. Easily one of my most favorite classes in any mmo i've ever played.

I also 5 boxed with the trial accounts (albeit poorly played by my lack of knowledge with the boxing tools and macros in the game) BUT... it was hella fun!

waynejr2

Advanced Member

RIP City of Heroes!

9/05/11 1:22:51 PM#17
Originally posted by waynejr2
Originally posted by MMOtoGO

I checked it out and now they want to create an ea account but I don't know if I can transfer it to my swtor account or what.  Something that should be so simple.

I called tech support today.  They recently added an EA account system and say that something got broken on my account.  They were able to quickly fix it so I guess this isn't the first account this has happened to.