Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,844,479 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,221,774
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
63 posts found
  ltank

Novice Member

4/14/11 5:10:05 PM#21

For you that have said that you love the IP. How would you have made the game different to more closely align with your vision of the Warhammer world?

I never played the tabletop but have read a lot of Warhammer books and while I agree you wouldn't have the destruction armies all working together like they do I am willing to overlook that in the name of fun.

User Deleted
4/14/11 5:25:16 PM#22
Originally posted by JediConsular
Originally posted by Loke666
Originally posted by Sovrath

lol, that pretty much is word for word and exact page from my book of life. I'm pretty sure I've said those exact words to friends and acquaintances numerous times.

And I completely agree "if you like it play it".

People have been saying that Warhammer was on its last legs for a while. Truth be told, it's a fun game with some great classes and there are actually people playing it.

It is very hard to tell. EA can close down the game any day, they did close down TR rather premature but there are loads of games that can be canned. We all can't just play Wow to be sure that we play a game that will be around for many years, that would totally kill off any tries to better the genre and make new and fun games.

Myself I don't play WAR because I am a great fan of Warhammer fantasy RPG and WAR is nothing like that. It is kinda like loving the beatles and pick up a so so coverbands CD at the gas station for a buck, it is too painful to listen too.

I acually think that it helps if you are not a Warhammer fanto enjoy the game.

It is not bad and anyone liking it should really play it, but I wish that the original Warhammer online didn't get cancelled half way in development, they actually were working on the original career based mechanics instead of levels, it would have made awesome PvP.

Anyone not playing the MMO they like best but another one instead are wasting their time badly. Don't do that, life is short.

Reading this makes me want to cry. I too love the Warhammer lore and couldn't agree more with what you said. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Warhammer is the best IP a company could have in my book, this side of Star Wars. It is a shame this game isn't better and closer to what it should have been. So much potential in an IP wasted.

I love everything about the Warhammer setting, I just wish the game more closely resembled it.

I'm hoping that one day this game will be taken over by another company or at the very least will get a bit more life injected into it. Maybe more races, factions, areas, better crafting, etc. That all seems doubtful with the game's current population.

Really now?  You know that GW was the one to pull the plug on the original Warhammer Online right?  And that GW had staff involved with the day to day at Mythic (before it became EAMythic and then Bioware/Mythic)  If you have complaints - a good many of them can just as easily be levelled at the IP owners :D! Since pretty much every facet of the game had to be approved by GW.

Mmocount

Novice Member

4/14/11 5:31:18 PM#23
Originally posted by Eliandal   Really now?  You know that GW was the one to pull the plug on the original Warhammer Online right?  And that GW had staff involved with the day to day at Mythic (before it became EAMythic and then Bioware/Mythic)  If you have complaints - a good many of them can just as easily be levelled at the IP owners :D! Since pretty much every facet of the game had to be approved by GW.

No the didn't.

Yes, they had to make sure the IP was correctly follwed. So no nightelves dancing with dwarves around pink trees and the like.

But you're kidding yourself if you think GW was policing the MMO aspects of the game. That's Mythic's business. GW doesn't have a clue about MMO's or their mechanics. Tabletop Warhammer is nothing like it. And WAR is just another MMO, with a Warhammer jacket around it, and a more RvR focus.

JediConsular

Novice Member

4/14/11 9:07:22 PM#24
Originally posted by ltank

For you that have said that you love the IP. How would you have made the game different to more closely align with your vision of the Warhammer world?

I never played the tabletop but have read a lot of Warhammer books and while I agree you wouldn't have the destruction armies all working together like they do I am willing to overlook that in the name of fun.

I've spent countless hours on the Warhammer forums after launch pleading with Mythic on how to make things better for the playerbase. As were many others! Unfortunately, a lot of those pleas fell on deaf ears. Let's face it, if anyone didn't find the heads over at Mythic to be at least a little bit egotistical, cocky, or arrogant, then they simply weren't paying attention. They were so confident that they had the WoW Killer, that they didn't seem to care about the ideas or concerns of some of their players.

Anyhow with that out of the way, one thing I would have done without question would have been to have more than two factions (three at the very least, but quite possibly more).

Next, I would have put more of an effort into the PvE aspect of the game. Some of you may think that is a stupid idea for a PvP-based game such as this. However, I don't care how much you love PvP (or PvE for that matter) you're going to get sick of it and when you do you're going to want to switch gears. In WoW, you get sick of PvP you have great PvE to fall back on and vice versa. Although WoW's PvP isn't the greatest, it's good enough to keep you occupied and not leaving the game altogether. Problem with a game like Warhammer is that when you're itching to switch gears, the PvE is so abysmal that most players would tend to look elsewhere, as in other games. Once a player leaves, you've potentially lost that player for good.

Crafting is another thing that keeps players around and should have been more than just an afterthought.

These things all contribute to maintaining a robust playerbase, which is even more critical for a PvP centric game. I believe that you may never have a great PvP game maintain its population without the game being decent in other aspects. A PvP game should be encouraging those that aren't necessarily PvP types to stick around because in these types of games, the more is definitely the merrier and you don't want to alienate anyone.

Next is something I had been preaching about since launch that they finally did implement to a degree, and that is an apprentice system (although a little too late). Think about how many of your friends or people you game with that are on different schedules. With a proper apprentice system in place, people can play together longer and get to stick together, rather than be lost in separate tiers. This is something I picked up on in my very first MMO (CoH) and I knew right away how priceless a feature that was and how it should be in every game. Once again, especially in a game that thrives on a robust playerbase.

Friends sometimes have a knack from dragging you away from a game if they are not happy. If they are not having fun by themselves in Tier 2 while you're busy in Tier 3 then there's a better chance that they will move on and eventually pull other friends with them.

Another big thing I would have taken advantage of is the fantastic races and settings the Warhammer lore has to offer. For one, I would have put the Vampires Counts in the game as a playable race from the start. I don't need to tell you how big a deal Vampires are at the moment do I? Everybody is crazy about Vampires and the fact that you can play a Vampire in very few games at the moment A-M-A-Z-E-S me! I would have been all about jumping on that bandwagon and taking every advantage of the fact that Warhammer has great Vampire lore.

From then on I would have planned on releasing expansions every so often with a new race and area along with possibly a new SC for that area. Even if we didn't have the time nor manpower to release multiple classes for each new race you bring in, you can still add more classes later. For example, why not release a playable class from the Tomb Kings when launching Land of the Dead. (And don't get me started on the whole locking one faction out of a new zone.)

My text is green because my posts are created with Willpower!

ltank

Novice Member

4/14/11 10:08:01 PM#25

Most of what you wrote is your opinion about the game mechanics. Some people said they wouldn't play the game due to how they butchered the IP, not because of game mechanics. I am wondering how they would have implemented the vision of the warhammer world differently, not about how they would have changed game mechanics that could be applied to any game.

dracomun

Hard Core Member

4/14/11 10:13:30 PM#26

I woulda played tomb kings, love my tomb king army

Emothirst

Novice Member

4/14/11 10:18:13 PM#27

In terms of innovations, Warhammer Online doesn't do a lot that's radically new, but it does do everything very well. The game is easily accessible thanks to a variety of handy tools. For instance, take the Tome of Knowledge, an in-game, dynamic encyclopedia of your adventures. You can look up your quests, find your current kill counts, or read up on lore. It's also handy to keep track of the many achievements that you can amass; the game is layered with dozens upon dozens of rewards, from a catchy title ("The Crucial Crusher") to recognition when you die 100 times. It's these small things that add up, because you get a sense that everything has been woven together from the beginning, rather than having all these different parts simply being welded together at the end.

Thelow

Novice Member

OP  4/15/11 8:24:32 AM#28

Activated that Welcome back system or w/e it is, but I coulnt log in. Just said username or password is wrong even I was able to log on my account @ internet, but not on client

User Deleted
4/15/11 8:31:53 AM#29
Originally posted by Mmocount
Originally posted by Eliandal   Really now?  You know that GW was the one to pull the plug on the original Warhammer Online right?  And that GW had staff involved with the day to day at Mythic (before it became EAMythic and then Bioware/Mythic)  If you have complaints - a good many of them can just as easily be levelled at the IP owners :D! Since pretty much every facet of the game had to be approved by GW.

No the didn't.

Yes, they had to make sure the IP was correctly follwed. So no nightelves dancing with dwarves around pink trees and the like.

But you're kidding yourself if you think GW was policing the MMO aspects of the game. That's Mythic's business. GW doesn't have a clue about MMO's or their mechanics. Tabletop Warhammer is nothing like it. And WAR is just another MMO, with a Warhammer jacket around it, and a more RvR focus.

You need to get your facts straight, and do a little investigation.  GW was also very hands on with the first iteration of Warhammer Online, and it WAS them that shut it down.  You can believe what you want, but the facts are out there.  There are people at GW who do know a bit more about MMO's than you seem to think.

ltank

Novice Member

4/15/11 8:50:17 AM#30
Originally posted by Thelow

Activated that Welcome back system or w/e it is, but I coulnt log in. Just said username or password is wrong even I was able to log on my account @ internet, but not on client

Are you an European player? I think European players have to have _Eur on the end of their user name or something when they log in. Might want to ask on the official forums.

Lumster

Novice Member

4/20/11 5:03:26 AM#31
Originally posted by ltankovers to tell a story.

I also don't think the game is dying like some people say. I see new players asking newbie questions all the time. I personally helped 5 myself last night.

Yea it is doing really well with................ehm...............um..........how many server are left now?

Not saying WAR will close down next month but it is far from doing well, doing well would be more in terms of EvE but because of how much they hyped WAR and how much money they put into it I don't consider it a success (however barely surviving does count for a lot of fanboy as success so whatever).

Mmocount

Novice Member

4/20/11 8:31:54 AM#32

People 'seeing' people asking newbie questions is obviously a really bad indicator of population since I can find posts every month since release of people claiming newbies are everywhere yet the game has been shrinking continuously.

ltank

Novice Member

4/20/11 8:33:23 AM#33
Originally posted by Lumster

I also don't think the game is dying like some people say. I see new players asking newbie questions all the time. I personally helped 5 myself last night.

Yea it is doing really well with................ehm...............um..........how many server are left now?

Not saying WAR will close down next month but it is far from doing well, doing well would be more in terms of EvE but because of how much they hyped WAR and how much money they put into it I don't consider it a success (however barely surviving does count for a lot of fanboy as success so whatever).

At what point did I say it was doing well? Please try not using straw men for your argument. The point is that new people are trying the game all the time and if they can fix whatever it is that makes people not subscribe or subscribe for long then they can turn the game around. I somewhat feel that they have turned a corner and am watching my "Whom" population counter addon to see if there is evidence to backup my feeling.

I was in T2 of Badlands last night and there were two warbands per side battling it out which is a far cry from the days when people would complain about T2-3 being dead. it was one of the best times I've had in awhile. Each side had one warband attacking the other sides keep in the EvC pairing. We had their door down but couldn't make it upstairs to capture the keep and our keep defenders kept driving off their attacking force but every time we did, it took it's toll on our keep door. Eventually they were able to break down our door and we were unable to stop them from capturing the keep like they were able to do to us. It was almost like a race then entire time.

As for using servers as evidence; Turbine turned around DDO when it was down to 2-3 servers. Yes I know they went hybrid F2P but they did it and have added new servers and content since that time. I am hopeful that Bioware/Mythic can do the same.

One of the problems with the game is people like you who have sour grapes and just shit on the game every chance you get despite not playing it in however long and yet you continue trolling boards about it just because you feel like you were wronged in some pathetic way. You're the ones working to drive new players away for who knows what reason. In my opinion there is no better PvP fantasy based MMO out right now. Darkfall is close but the grind and lack of skillcap sucks IMO and Mortal Online is somewhat buggy and lacking in content. Other fantasy MMO's are PvE games first with PvP tacked on, unlike WAR.

Mmocount

Novice Member

4/20/11 9:17:19 AM#34

Blaming people for bashing the game and citing that as a reason for the game not getting enough players is not going to cut it. WoW should be a long distant memory if that was the case.

Also DDO is one of the *extremely* rare cases of an actual turnaround, and that was after drastic changes. It's like saying lightning can strike you. Yeah sure, obviously. But not very likely.

ltank

Novice Member

4/20/11 11:15:21 AM#35

Blaming people for bashing the game and citing that as a reason for the game not getting enough players is not going to cut it. WoW should be a long distant memory if that was the case.

Also DDO is one of the *extremely* rare cases of an actual turnaround, and that was after drastic changes. It's like saying lightning can strike you. Yeah sure, obviously. But not very likely.

Once again, read what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. I said "One of the problems", not "THE SOLE PROBLEM is...". I am not saying there are no other issues with the game and it simply suffers from people whining about it two years after they last played which drives potential new players off. But you would be naive if you do not think people who have no idea about the current state of the game who are still badmouthing the game to new players, doesn't drive people away.

So basically you ignore a very valid example of turning an MMO around because it doesn't fit with your argument. Sorry my point still stands.

Mmocount

Novice Member

4/20/11 11:55:50 AM#36

Once again, read what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. I said "One of the problems", not "THE SOLE PROBLEM is...". I am not saying there are no other issues with the game and it simply suffers from people whining about it two years after they last played which drives potential new players off. But you would be naive if you do not think people who have no idea about the current state of the game who are still badmouthing the game to new players, doesn't drive people away.

So basically you ignore a very valid example of turning an MMO around because it doesn't fit with your argument. Sorry my point still stands.

Once again, read what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. I said "a reason", not "THE SOLE reason..."

A very valid reason for turning a game around? What, the one in a million chance that game may actually turn around? The miniscule times that actually happens to a MMO? A MMO which was barely a mmo to begin with and already more of a coop dungeon crawler? And not the PvP MMO that WAR is which already has people frothing at the mouth about leaving whenever they hear F2P because it'd be about who pays more = win? That 'Valid' reason?

Maybe if it had been the only MMO they had but it's not. They're working on TOR, and that's their main interest. And if anything would be worth an effort 'turning it around', it'll be that one. Not the MMO that has already had two years to turn around and never even came close.

Lumster

Novice Member

4/20/11 1:08:40 PM#37
Originally posted by Lumster

At what point did I say it was doing well? Please try not using straw men for your argument. The point is that new people are trying the game all the time and if they can fix whatever it is that makes people not subscribe or subscribe for long then they can turn the game around. I somewhat feel that they have turned a corner and am watching my "Whom" population counter addon to see if there is evidence to backup my feeling.

I was in T2 of Badlands last night and there were two warbands per side battling it out which is a far cry from the days when people would complain about T2-3 being dead. it was one of the best times I've had in awhile. Each side had one warband attacking the other sides keep in the EvC pairing. We had their door down but couldn't make it upstairs to capture the keep and our keep defenders kept driving off their attacking force but every time we did, it took it's toll on our keep door. Eventually they were able to break down our door and we were unable to stop them from capturing the keep like they were able to do to us. It was almost like a race then entire time.

As for using servers as evidence; Turbine turned around DDO when it was down to 2-3 servers. Yes I know they went hybrid F2P but they did it and have added new servers and content since that time. I am hopeful that Bioware/Mythic can do the same.

One of the problems with the game is people like you who have sour grapes and just shit on the game every chance you get despite not playing it in however long and yet you continue trolling boards about it just because you feel like you were wronged in some pathetic way. You're the ones working to drive new players away for who knows what reason. In my opinion there is no better PvP fantasy based MMO out right now. Darkfall is close but the grind and lack of skillcap sucks IMO and Mortal Online is somewhat buggy and lacking in content. Other fantasy MMO's are PvE games first with PvP tacked on, unlike WAR.

I actually I did the free resub a few months back and after a few hours left the game again. It was pretty much the same experience, instead of class imbalance (or on top of that) it was gear and rank imbalance now.

That doesn't mean I am jaded, I quit games or turn the sub off as soon as I get bored or I can't take the annoynce of an aspect anymore. This means that I actually had quite a good time with various nice people during my sub.

And sour grapes? I am just bitter what they did to the game and how it turned out. And only Mythic has to blame themselves for the huge backlash they have recieved and are recivieng now. They hyped the game to no end and gave us very little. Stop blaming the players and the economy for WARs failure guys, blame Mythic and GW.

http://warhammervault.ign.com/fullstory.php?id=60118

"Gone from celebrating 1 million beta apps to 5 thousand likes on Facebook." Jumo_007

MMOs do not need millions of players, they don't even need to be much mainstream. However I think Mythic even if they would brighten up, wouldn't get the chance again to recieve some funding from EA (and you can't blame them for that).

ltank

Novice Member

4/20/11 1:32:45 PM#38

Once again, read what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. I said "a reason", not "THE SOLE reason..."

A very valid reason for turning a game around? What, the one in a million chance that game may actually turn around? The miniscule times that actually happens to a MMO? A MMO which was barely a mmo to begin with and already more of a coop dungeon crawler? And not the PvP MMO that WAR is which already has people frothing at the mouth about leaving whenever they hear F2P because it'd be about who pays more = win? That 'Valid' reason?

Maybe if it had been the only MMO they had but it's not. They're working on TOR, and that's their main interest. And if anything would be worth an effort 'turning it around', it'll be that one. Not the MMO that has already had two years to turn around and never even came close.

The internet: Where 99% of statistics are made up on the spot.

All you have is opinion and speculation. Enjoy scaring off potential customers for a game you don't play with that.

ltank

Novice Member

4/20/11 1:34:25 PM#39

Lumster: The gear and rank imbalance was patched yesterday and concensus thus far seems to be that it was a successful patch. Next complaint?

Mmocount

Novice Member

4/20/11 1:55:01 PM#40

All you have is opinion and speculation.

I love the Irony in this from someone projecting a possible upturn just because DDO managed.

Simple facts are, this game has seen no significant population increases and has only shrunk servers continuously since the initial startups. The last server mergers being incredibly recent.

Now go to the store, by some of the new virtual pets they added to the store, and be happy playing.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search