Trending Games | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Wars: The Old Republic | World of Warcraft | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,901,057 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,271,379
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Thoughts on how to improve the warhammer RVR experience

2 posts found
  Andreas1005

Novice Member

OP  4/02/11 10:53:20 AM#1

i have written down some thoughts about how i belive the RVR of warhammer online could be improved.
i would very much like to share theese thoughts and get some feedback.

here is the stuff i believe could use some improvements:
- ability to play as a solo player, and test skills in smaller numbers. 
- being able to contribute to the "big picture" as a solo player without following the zerg.
- challanges when the enemy is "not around"
- focus on the core aspect of the game. (RVR)

suggested changes:

move warcamp functions to the keeps. warcamps should be removed.
add optional objectives. that are not nessecary to complete. but will benefit the overall effort.
add NPCs, that give solo players somthing to kill when others are not around.

BOs
the game need more bos, and they need to be optional. you should be able to take a keep, without controlling a single BO(it should be hard tho)

- spread some bos out over the areas outside the RVR lakes. and let those areas contribute to the war as well. 
- let BOs give rewards to the total effort. rewards like; siege weapons. reinforcements. buffs?.
- make all BOs start as just a falg. you can build the BOs up by completeing tasks like rescource gathering, hunting, and defending. as you complete these, the BO will build up, and provide more and more to the overall battle. (more npc reinforcements, better siege weapons).
- a fully upgraded BO should be able to take down an undefended keep alone.

Keeps.
attackers need more ways of getting inside. for all these there should be counters. this is so bouth side allways have several options when attacked or defending.
add siege towers, and make artillery effective against them.
add siege ladders, but let defenders kick them down.
more options will result, in diferent strategies being used.
last stand:
upon reaching the inner keep. the defenders should be able to make a last stand. certain rules needs to be applied here to advoide stalemates.
suggestion: 
give attackers an advantage (hero npc, artillery?) as wella as a timer. if they can not break the defence within a given time. NPC reinforcements will arrive from the next keep. if they kill the reinforcements, they will be given extra time. but the number of reinforcements will increase for the next wave.
if a defender dies during the last stand. he/she will automaticly respawn at the next keep. dead players can only enter the battle again along with npc reinforcements.

(i will propably edit more later) any thoughts?
  kaiser3282

Tipster

4/07/11 7:38:23 PM#2
Originally posted by Andreas1005

i have written down some thoughts about how i belive the RVR of warhammer online could be improved.
i would very much like to share theese thoughts and get some feedback.

here is the stuff i believe could use some improvements:
- ability to play as a solo player, and test skills in smaller numbers. Plenty do already, including myself. Not knowing how to succeed as a solo player, or with a small force does not mean the option is no tthere. Hell, AAO gives you 400% boost to XP and RR gained, i can go gank stragglers of a large WB and gets thousands of RR per kill by myself. Also, its much more soloable now than before. You simply could not solo a keep in the past due to the Lord (Hero) and his multiple champion guards. You needed tanks, healers, and dps. With the new system solo can be just as succesful as many people.
- being able to contribute to the "big picture" as a solo player without following the zerg. I also flip entire zones by myself or with a very small group, as well as put a stop to the enemy ranking up an dbeing able to attack our own keep several times a day
- challanges when the enemy is "not around"
- focus on the core aspect of the game. (RVR) Judging by some of what you have below, i dont think you really understand that RvR = PvP. Much of what you mention is added PvE instead of PvP, and several of thos ethings USED to be in the game but they were taken out recently specifically to improve the PvP/RvR and get away from PvE in the RvR zones.

suggested changes:

move warcamp functions to the keeps. warcamps should be removed. What functions exactly? Only thing left really is a healer, flight master, and a few repeatable quests.Trainers have been moved to IC, and renown gear merchants which already were in the keeps have been moved to IC as well.
add optional objectives. that are not nessecary to complete. but will benefit the overall effort. There already is a bit of this. Theres the Gutter Runners, holding BOs for extended periods to keep the RR ticks coming, etc. Though a few more things to do would be nice. Any specific idea sthere?
add NPCs, that give solo players somthing to kill when others are not around. No, no and hell no. Thats what it used to be, and it was lame and boring. Im soooooo glad they eliminated nearly everything to do with PvE in the RvR lakes (except the rats). The RvR lakes should be all about PvP, if you want PvE.... theres plenty of that already outside of RvR zones kill mobs, do tome unlocks, do quests, whatever. As a solo player, there is plenty to do IF you know what youre doing. You can take BOs and flip a keep/zone just as easily as an entire WB, so long as you dont run into too much opposition.

BOs
the game need more bos, and they need to be optional. you should be able to take a keep, without controlling a single BO(it should be hard tho) Again, thats what used to be in place. It was always "zerg the keep as fast as possible, then take the BOs after to finish flipping the whole zone. The new system is much much better. It doesnt matte rhow big your group is, wether your solo or running with 10 full warbands.... you still need to take and hold the BOs (or kill the enemy RCs) and the enemy has a chance to pick up on the attack youre setting up, get to the zone, and actually have a battle for the zone rathe rthan "oh shit, theyre zerging the keep in empire... oh damn too late they just killed the lord.

- spread some bos out over the areas outside the RVR lakes. and let those areas contribute to the war as well. This is also the old way. PQs did exactly what youre saying. Completing PQs in the PvE areas added to the Victory Points needed to flip a zone. The devs decided, thankfully, that PvE =/= RvR and it should not be a factor to the RvR campaign. Also, you ONLY get Renown in RvR lakes. Adding actual BOs with Resource Carriers outside of the RvR lakes would be pretty much pointless. Tehre are many ways to get tons of XP already, and all of those things (which dont gain you RR constantly) wind up gimping you by the time you reach T4 because youll have like RR30 vs RR 60-100 players and wont even be able to waear any decent gear. RR > XP.
- let BOs give rewards to the total effort. rewards like; siege weapons. reinforcements. buffs?. They already do. Holding BOs = gain resources = rank up your keep = get siege weapons & make your RCs stronger. NPC Reinforcements? Terrible idea, and has already been removed from the game due to its terribleness.
- make all BOs start as just a falg. you can build the BOs up by completeing tasks like rescource gathering, hunting, and defending. as you complete these, the BO will build up, and provide more and more to the overall battle. (more npc reinforcements, better siege weapons). Well i personally wouldnt mind something like this, performing othe rtasks to unlock BOs, then controlling BOs for the keep. But there is already a shitstorm of crying on the WAR forums about how taking keeps is too "hard" or "too long" already because you have to spend a whole 15-20 minutes ranking up akeep. Adding more things to do before a keep can be taken would only result in massive amounts of QQ and /wrists.
- a fully upgraded BO should be able to take down an undefended keep alone. I disagree here too. IMO you should have to control at least the majority of the zone, if not all of the BOs, in order to attack the keep and tak eove rthe zone. Doesnt really make sense to be able to gain control of an entire zone by controlling 1 of 4 BOs, while the enemy has 3 of them.

Keeps.
attackers need more ways of getting inside. for all these there should be counters. this is so bouth side allways have several options when attacked or defending.
add siege towers, and make artillery effective against them.
add siege ladders, but let defenders kick them down.
more options will result, in diferent strategies being used.
Well they have improved it a bit already with the Pick Lock at RR 10 and the addition of aerial bombers allowing anyone to get inside their keep walls by jumping off, though in T3 & 4 the bombers wont get you into the inner keep. The problem though is this... if everyone can get inside the keep already, wtf is the point of even having a door or being required to take it down? The way they have it setup now basically works out that melees are sort of like assassins, sneaking in the back away from the main force and dispatching targets trying to defend their keep and amke it easier for the main army to get inside. Besides, everyone except melee dps already ha sthe tools to do whatever is needed without getting into the keep. Ranged DPS can attack from outsid ethe keep, as can healers (who should b mainly focused on healing anyway), and there are the siege weapons as well. Anyway, the siege towers are a great idea though and it has already been talked about much on the WAR forums. Im hoping they get added as well.... especially since i mainly play a SH. SH on a nice high tower = dead faces full of arrows :-)
last stand:
upon reaching the inner keep. the defenders should be able to make a last stand. certain rules needs to be applied here to advoide stalemates. This option is already there, its called setting up a tank wall :-P the WBs i am usually running wth manage to constantly defend the keep even after our inner door is down and we are outnumbered by setting up a good wall and using better tactics to repel the enemy, rather than relying on numbers alone. Sorry but i disagree with something like this too, it should really come down to simply which side is better, stronger, and smarter, not who has some special advantage base don the current stage of the attack.
suggestion: 
give attackers an advantage (hero npc, artillery?) as wella as a timer. if they can not break the defence within a given time. NPC reinforcements will arrive from the next keep. if they kill the reinforcements, they will be given extra time. but the number of reinforcements will increase for the next wave.
if a defender dies during the last stand. he/she will automaticly respawn at the next keep. dead players can only enter the battle again along with npc reinforcements. As ive said in other parts, they should be (and are) keeping PvE/NPCs out of the RvR. Nobody should be getting backup from NPCs doing the work for them, it is PvP, and the players alone should determine the outcome of a battle. Aside from that, theres not really any need to add this anyway. There are already siege weapons, which have become VERY effective. Honestly, keep sieges to me have become too easy for the most part anyway with the improvements on siege weaponry & addition of aerial bombers. Adding NPC Reinforcements into it is just overkill. If your force cant take over a keep, then your group needs to  learn how to get better, not rely on NPCs making them look better.
(i will propably edit more later) any thoughts?