Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,173 Users Online:0
Games:712  Posts:6,173,710
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » RIFT looks a lot like WAR

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
40 posts found
  popinjay

Advanced Member

Aaron Rodgers>Brett Favre

1/07/11 10:23:22 AM#21

Originally posted by RedTortuga
[mod edit]

How could you say WAR's PVP is better than RIFT's when the beta test for PvP starts on the 28th.. [mod edit]

This is wrong info.

The PvP testing will be done today 1/7/11 over this weekend.

Anyone wondering how the PvP is/will be should wander over to those forums and lurk PvP threads as the only way in now is to pre-order, then you automatically get in.

There is a PvP server so that should be no problem for people who want that constant rush. If you liked WAR's mechanics then you'll LOVE Rift. Same exact engine (Gamebryo) as was mentioned.

But imagine what WAR's combat would be like with 5,000 less bugs and a stable launch and you have Rift minus the RvR.

On the good side, in the PQs (Rifts) there are TONS of people literally and NO crashing or massive drop in FPS, so it looks like they worked out whatever problems Mythic could'nt in their game with WAR.

deception77

Novice Member

1/07/11 11:47:25 AM#22

ya seriously its so funny how people just throw random info up here and swear its fact . This site has probably the worst trolls I've seen on the net. With that being said WAR and RIFT are designed very similiarly same boring pve and all but they added in the Rifts spawning random places so it added a element to pve that war could never accomplish. Mechanics are almost the same but classes are more open ended. Keep in mind if you go look at the devs making rift you will see a lot of old ex mythic employees that got screwed by EA and especially MArk Jacobs the brainiact that caused alot of those devs to get laid off in the first place not listening to the player base. So your going to have alot of what war was in rifts design before Jacobs totally screwed everyone over with it. Same art team same combat and careers , just Scott Hartsman from EQ is leading the team at Trion.

MaGicBush

Novice Member

Can't cut this bush.

1/09/11 11:41:06 PM#23
Originally posted by deception77

ya seriously its so funny how people just throw random info up here and swear its fact . This site has probably the worst trolls I've seen on the net. With that being said WAR and RIFT are designed very similiarly same boring pve and all but they added in the Rifts spawning random places so it added a element to pve that war could never accomplish. Mechanics are almost the same but classes are more open ended. Keep in mind if you go look at the devs making rift you will see a lot of old ex mythic employees that got screwed by EA and especially MArk Jacobs the brainiact that caused alot of those devs to get laid off in the first place not listening to the player base. So your going to have alot of what war was in rifts design before Jacobs totally screwed everyone over with it. Same art team same combat and careers , just Scott Hartsman from EQ is leading the team at Trion.

Except at this point, Rift has no open PvP zones with objectives as WAR does as you stated in your post on the previous page. It is still lacking unfortunately, I like Rift and am in this weekends Beta event. However it is very much PvE oriented, and PvP is the afterthought on this game so far unless they are still hiding something from the beta(like a PvP zone with objectives). Right now it is just PvE, with PvP ganks in 2 zones or Warfronts(scenarios, with even like minded objectives from WAR). I really hope what we saw this weekend is not all, and that I am wrong but from previous experiences(including WAR's beta) most likely this is it. I wont be buying or pre-ordering unless something is shown that we will have open-PvP based play at least in one zone with some kind of objective for each side(be it sieging, capturing a point, or building. And yes, I left this feedback on the beta forums as well as sending a petition as to why I got bored after only 3 days and 1 of those being maxed at 27).

--------------------

-Currently playing Aion.
-Played SWTOR, UO, EQ, AoC, WOW, War, LoTRO, FFXI, Rift, DFO.

Timzilla

Advanced Member

1/29/11 5:20:50 PM#24
Originally posted by MaGicBush
Originally posted by deception77

Except at this point, Rift has no open PvP zones with objectives as WAR does as you stated in your post on the previous page. It is still lacking unfortunately, I like Rift and am in this weekends Beta event. However it is very much PvE oriented, and PvP is the afterthought on this game so far unless they are still hiding something from the beta(like a PvP zone with objectives). Right now it is just PvE, with PvP ganks in 2 zones or Warfronts(scenarios, with even like minded objectives from WAR). I really hope what we saw this weekend is not all, and that I am wrong but from previous experiences(including WAR's beta) most likely this is it. I wont be buying or pre-ordering unless something is shown that we will have open-PvP based play at least in one zone with some kind of objective for each side(be it sieging, capturing a point, or building. And yes, I left this feedback on the beta forums as well as sending a petition as to why I got bored after only 3 days and 1 of those being maxed at 27).

WAR pretty much showed the dev world that PvP isn't enough on it's own. PvE will always be the bread and butter of MMORPGs. Rift offers the same PvP that other successful MMOS offer. Battlegrounds/scenraios, dueling and entire PvP servers are there for the playing, and who's to say the pvp content can't grow along with the prerequisite pve content.

Noobkilar

Novice Member

1/29/11 5:51:32 PM#25

I noticed the roads in the guardian side did look exactly the same as the t1 empire roads lol. But all in all I am boarder-line on even buying this pre-order Been in all the beta's so far and I just find a tad boring already.

As the market is currently and so many fails if one of the 3 titles are a sucess then they will hold a good population, but rift is not one of my top picks after playing it in 6 beta's.

Rift does have some quality ideas and I do admit fairly stable in BETA.

+Soul setups are a nice idea allowing players to micro-manage builds, and offers you several combo's to instantly switch to say if you need another melee dps, or full healer.

+Rift does manage the lag well, but still the first week I ams ure will be hell due to mass influx. I have seen about 30-50 in the same area and it was fairly lag free.

+The graphic's are decent or above, effects are nice and not overly done

+ allows free trade AKA a auction house, but needs a bit of work

BUT, here is what I dislike about it so far off the top of my head,

- The horrid Dye system, It needs alot of work from what I tested similar to WARs attempt at first but a bit worse.

- Armor progression (looks) It's hard to tell whats what, and It reminds me of 100 EQ toons running around all looking the same pretty much. Nothing like or near as the website shows. Maybe after 30 it gets better but til then it looks like crap.

- Limited warfronts, and Sometimes the que time is 10-30 minutes.

- Warfronts need a bit of work Ie: alot of dismount spots, mount slow down in area's thats pretty annoying. and their fairly  simple with little spice.

- The UI is a bit odd, but pretty basic something I just didn't like well cannot put my finger on why.

- Some quests etc are not well guided, same with locations of NPC trainers such as soul trainers are a bit dificult to find.

- The collections are just bleh...like EQ's "shinies" oh look a sparkling thing on the ground.....

Few other things I might add in later on both +/- on MY personal views of the game.

I didn't do alot of crafting, but thats something i'd like to check out a bit more indepth but my first goal was to see if I liked the combat system etc.

Deewe

Novice Member

1/30/11 1:26:57 PM#26
Originally posted by holdenhamlet

PVP is going to be a mess if there's no restrictions on what your character can do.  I've read that the devs have said that they are not worried about balance and think the players will "balance themselves" by coming up with really cool builds that counter eachother.

I didn't know that combat wasn't a mess. Well apart chess and a few others similar ones.

The devs are smart because no matter what they do, as in any game, the players will find the favor of the month template. But in this case you don't need to wait for the devs to fix it, players will find alternatives to counterbalance every possible template. And respec seems pretty easy and cheap.

I do like WAR but after playing RIFT beta I'm really worried for WAR future  My guessing is WAR servers will suffer much more than WoW ones. And when I read the WAR producer letter I don't see any major improvements coming in but mostly a game in survival mode.

Justarius1

Novice Member

There are two secrets to success in life. (1) - Never reveal everything you know.

2/08/11 3:04:28 PM#27

I was a WAR player who tried Rift thinking it was a PvP game like WAR... and I can't stand Rift.  It bored me to tears.

In WAR, from levels 1-20, you have the following ways to PvP:  Multiple scenarios, open RvR, "keep takes" - etc., etc.  You never even have to bother with PvE.  (Which was a main selling point of the game to me.)

Rift, on the other hand, has a total of... one small warfront, total, until level 20.

That's it.  That's your PvP - one warfront.  Until level 20.  And after level 20 you'll hear people telling you that "Rift really isn't a PvP game" despite a few seldom-used "open PvP" zones.

The PvP in Rift was, in my opinion, horrible.  I pre-ordered the game, played all the betas since 3 onward, and steadily grew more and more bored.  Even PvE wise, Rift doesn't have much to offer - one small starting area no matter which of the 3 races you pick for either faction, then a very linear small world/quest line until level 20.  If you make 3 Defiant characters and level them to 20 you're going to have the.exact.same.experience for each character.

I'd say that with all the improvements to WAR, it's by far the better game for PvP.  As far as PvE goes, if you want to try out Rift, I'd definitely play in the beta before you buy...  or wait and see where the game is 3 months after launch.  Rift definitely isn't a "OMG gotta have it now" kind of title.

binary_0011

Novice Member

Use your common sense.

2/15/11 11:29:33 AM#28
Originally posted by Nikkita

Check out the official forums. you will be surprised how many players are coming to Rift from WAR. The biggest

ok, it is Feb now,2 months from your post, check out that forum again, lot of people is not going to buy the game, they are cancelling the pre-order.

and i agree with Justarius , warfront is so boring and i dont understand why people is complaining about WAR.

binary0011 Xfire Miniprofile
  Darkheart00

Apprentice Member

3/02/11 9:06:53 AM#29
Originally posted by binary_0011
Originally posted by Nikkita

Check out the official forums. you will be surprised how many players are coming to Rift from WAR. The biggest

ok, it is Feb now,2 months from your post, check out that forum again, lot of people is not going to buy the game, they are cancelling the pre-order.

and i agree with Justarius , warfront is so boring and i dont understand why people is complaining about WAR.

You may want to check out that again the Rfits 99 servers are pretty full.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/status/index.php

The big problem with WAR is PvE is lackluster, Rifts has far better crafting and instances, also the engine doesn't suffer from lag issues that plagued WAR at launch.

WAR was big but i think that was part of problem too many maps ended up diluting the population as result we ended up in empty PQs. While unique classes were great and better than soul system in Rifts it ended up being nightmare to balance.

XforsakerX

Novice Member

Waiting on GW2 and Diablo 3

3/05/11 10:55:34 AM#30

i didn't really see any simularities between WAR and Rift to be honest, they look a little the same in graphics wise, but rift still look's way better

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
6142MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Antec Gaming Phenom
Windows Vista™ Home Premium

User Deleted
3/07/11 1:25:12 AM#31
I tried War year ago or so and it felt like a cheap wowclone,now after rift beta i signed to war again just to check how it is nowadays and it feels like a good game compared to rift.
  romanator0

Novice Member

3/07/11 1:34:04 AM#32
Originally posted by inBOIL
I tried War year ago or so and it felt like a cheap wowclone,now after rift beta i signed to war again just to check how it is nowadays and it feels like a good game compared to rift.

The funny thing is that the devs of WAR were literally trying to make a WoW-clone. They came out and said they were trying to out-WoW WoW. I think the only thing that is keeping people from calling Rift a WoW-clone with a condescending tone is the fact that it launched well.

Justarius1

Novice Member

There are two secrets to success in life. (1) - Never reveal everything you know.

3/07/11 1:46:07 AM#33
Originally posted by inBOIL

I actually agree with you.  I went to Rift because of the supposed "great PvP" and Warhammer seems to do it a lot better.  I'd be curious to find out how many people who claim to enjoy the PvP of Rift (1 warfront until level 20... really?) have actually tried to play Warhammer in the past 6 months or so.

Lest I be accused of being a Mythic employee - I'm not ;) - I actually play WoW right now with my wife because we never got "burnt out" on the game pre-Cataclysm.  We actually started playing post-Cata and saw people trying to compare RIft to the PvE in WoW and just thought... really?  People *really* are comparing the PvE in this game to what WoW has to offer?  Just... um, wow.

As for PvP, I prefer Warhammer over Rift as well.  I'm not sure what the hype about Rift is all about - maybe it's all the advertising - maybe it's the smooth launch - but whatever it is, I wish Trion well.  Competition is a good thing.  I just got bored with Rift during beta.  Not enough content and what they DO have I have seen done better in other, older games.

TheMinn

Novice Member

Kiss me like you mean goodbye," said the spider to the fly.

3/07/11 1:49:26 AM#34

This always stirred up a debate. It got brought up from the first beta. Shoot...I even brought it up when I first beta'd the game. Some agreed and did not care, others that cared bitched and moan. I play and enjoy RIFTt. Does it have the same style of WAR? Yes, it does but not completely. Simple as that. There are many MMOs that have the same style, or share. RIFT shares the style but not completely, no big deal. But the graphics are far, far better and fluid. 

Justarius1

Novice Member

3/07/11 3:42:38 PM#35
Originally posted by TheMinn

This always stirred up a debate. It got brought up from the first beta. Shoot...I even brought it up when I first beta'd the game. Some agreed and did not care, others that cared bitched and moan. I play and enjoy RIFTt. Does it have the same style of WAR? Yes, it does but not completely. Simple as that. There are many MMOs that have the same style, or share. RIFT shares the style but not completely, no big deal. But the graphics are far, far better and fluid. 

I actually prefer the graphics and gameplay in War.  I don't think Rift's graphics are all that much to write home about, even at the ultra-high settings my rig can handle.

Art is very, very subjective.  To me the art in War was dark, gritty, and fit the game world perfectly - just as the cutesy cartoon graphics work very well in WoW.  Rift's graphics (and animations) to me seemed a bit... lacking.  This doesn't mean Rift has "bad" graphics any more that a person can say Salvadore Dali painted "bad" art - you either like his surreal style (I do) or you hate it (like most of my family does) - beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Darkheart00

Apprentice Member

3/22/11 11:54:02 AM#36
Originally posted by Justarius1
Originally posted by TheMinn

I actually prefer the graphics and gameplay in War.  I don't think Rift's graphics are all that much to write home about, even at the ultra-high settings my rig can handle.

Art is very, very subjective.  To me the art in War was dark, gritty, and fit the game world perfectly - just as the cutesy cartoon graphics work very well in WoW.  Rift's graphics (and animations) to me seemed a bit... lacking.  This doesn't mean Rift has "bad" graphics any more that a person can say Salvadore Dali painted "bad" art - you either like his surreal style (I do) or you hate it (like most of my family does) - beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

The graphics IMO are far superior in Rift than in WAR (ironic they both use the same engine) the rifts esp Life are very beautiful, part of me did like gritty graphics of war but there are some zones in WAR which where just plain empty. Also the Rift seems to be far better at handling large number of players than WAR ever was and being able to move through maps without zoning is a nice touch. Also considering how many animations bugs and issues WAR had (Archmage) i would definetly give heads up to Rift in that category as well.

Jakdstripper

Apprentice Member

3/22/11 12:10:34 PM#37

to OP

yup.

Even rifts are nothing more then glorified public quests. this is why i was bored of this game after the first 2 hours.

describable

Novice Member

4/05/11 9:50:45 PM#38

Rift has bored me to tears, the only "warfront" which is fun is the one unlocked at level 50 which has PvE/PvP parts to it... and is actually quite good. The Rifts/invasions err PQ's are also slightly better ... but hardly WAR's.

I just Wish WAR had an expansion or something that'd make people sit up and take notice.

I'd resubscribe tomorrow but they screwed up my account when they switched back to Mythic in europe, i can sign in and subscribe fine.. but the new patcher itself doesn't recognise my " _EUR" and looks at it as an error.

After submits to the Website support, they told me to phone a number, who told me there was nothing i could do... my classic red alert c&c that turned me into a bear in game.. and all my other stuff (chars will never be used again).

So i'll never be back... i'm personally waiting on Dark Millenium, hoping at least it'll be like WAR but obviously with the more popular 40k background.

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

Deewe

Novice Member

4/06/11 11:03:36 AM#39
Originally posted by Justarius1

As for PvP, I prefer Warhammer over Rift as well.  I'm not sure what the hype about Rift is all about - maybe it's all the advertising - maybe it's the smooth launch - but whatever it is, I wish Trion well.  Competition is a good thing.  I just got bored with Rift during beta.  Not enough content and what they DO have I have seen done better in other, older games.

I prefer RIFT for PvP as in WAR al incounters with [insert class name] will always be the same, while in RIFT you never know before hand what the opponent has to offer to you.

eldaris

Advanced Member

4/06/11 12:57:51 PM#40

After trying Rift beta i went back to war and having fun for now.War maybe has lot of flaws but at least the rvr part is a lot of fun while rift ,despite the so called "polish" so many people talk about,it didn't had anything interesting for me - both for pve and for pvp is just an average game.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search