Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,537 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,809
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » RIFT looks a lot like WAR

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
40 posts found
  Vortex5oo

Apprentice Member

OP  12/25/10 7:44:50 AM#1

To start with, I played WAR constantly for almost a year and I really tried to love the game but it just didn't do it for me. I still resub time to time to WAR. But it only leaves me a sad feeling of what it become, its a big IP after all.

I just recently got my eyes on RIFT and are wondering if any other WAR players gonna try it out? It seems like RIFT is built with the same game engine as WAR. It's main features are the rifts(think PQ's but they spawn random on the map and even spreads out over the map and tries to conquer towns(quest hubs)) and a class system that lets you dabble into three diffrent talent trees.

The game both gonna have PvE servers and Open World PvP servers.

Watching the videos from beta I really wished WAR had been more like RIFT from the beginning, it would have been awesome. Sure RIFT isn't all perfect but it looks really polished compared to WAR.

Some beta vids:

(You see the "PQ" spread out in this vid, watch the ground its changing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qryZFBLCm7Y&feature=related

(Sorry for teh crappy music, doesnt really mix with high fantasy ;D Some glitches in this video :/ )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scl9-XpauP0

(Some questing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQ77g-H-iM

Anyone else playing WAR thinking of trying out RIFT?

(The NDA on the the regular beta is lifted by the way, but still in effect for the Alpha server)

terroni

Novice Member

12/25/10 7:52:04 AM#2

I think people play/played WAR in hopes of decent RvR and maybe hopes of 3-sided conflict.

Rift is (from what I've read) battlegrounds a la WoW.

If people played WAR for the PvE experience (who in their right mind would), then Rift is an improvement.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

Nikkita

Apprentice Member

12/25/10 7:52:29 AM#3

Check out the official forums. you will be surprised how many players are coming to Rift from WAR. The biggest exodus is from Gaiscioch family from Badlands server. it is one of the biggest guilds from that server.

Yes one can fnd similarity between two but it ends only at same game engine and PQS, Otherwise WAR PVP is still better. only advantage RIFT has over war is that it can actually hold 500+ players on screen without crashing servers, but WAR can not.

Moreover, scenarios known as warfront in RIFT are cross servers. So finding players to PVP will never be a problem in RIFT.

Let me say this again..RIFT has no RVR only open world PVP.

Bite Me

Vortex5oo

Apprentice Member

OP  12/25/10 9:37:28 AM#4

Thanks for the replies. Ah ok so no Realm vs Realm then... thats a little sad. But I will keep my eyes on it, seems like a lot of fun.

To be fair, its more to the class system then I wrote in the OP, but I'm still a little confused how it really works.

RedTortuga

Novice Member

12/25/10 9:44:41 AM#5

[mod edit]

How could you say WAR's PVP is better than RIFT's when the beta test for PvP starts on the 28th.. There was no PvP in the last 2 test (20 on both sides). [mod edit]

Paradoxy

Apprentice Member

12/25/10 9:45:17 AM#6
Originally posted by Vortex5oo

Thanks for the replies. Ah ok so no Realm vs Realm then... thats a little sad. But I will keep my eyes on it, seems like a lot of fun.

To be fair, its more to the class system then I wrote in the OP, but I'm still a little confused how it really works.

Well in WAR you are stuck to dps/tank/healer roll, there is no such thing in Rift. So it will be very interesting to see what kind of builds players will come up with. That is what i loved about Guild Wars and this is one thing that gets me really excited about Rift even though i am God awful terrible at PVP lol.

When you make your character first you get to select out of 4 main classes Warrior, Rouge, Cleric and Mage. Soon after you get your first soul), you get second soul at lvl 5 and one more soul later on. The class system is more complex than it first appears. For warrior souls for example you can combine skills from all these classes champion, reaver, paladin, paragon, warlord etc.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Nikkita

Apprentice Member

12/25/10 9:48:48 AM#7
Originally posted by RedTortuga

You are a clarified idiot.

How could you say WAR's PVP is better than RIFT's when the beta test for PvP starts on the 28th.. There was no PvP in the last 2 test (20 on both sides). If you are going to judge the PvP of RIFT off of "videos" & "footage" you don't deserve to give your opinion.

Ever heard of this thing called 'my opinion' ? Rift is not the first game to implement open world PVP so you can take a guess how it is going to be.

But.... IN MY OPINION (wrote in caps for you) i think that WAR's RVR style of PVP is more fun and engaging.

Bite Me

terroni

Novice Member

12/25/10 9:49:43 AM#8

How could you say WAR's PVP is better than RIFT's when the beta test for PvP starts on the 28th.. There was no PvP in the last 2 test (20 on both sides). If you are going to judge the PvP of RIFT off of "videos" & "footage" you don't deserve to give your opinion.

Hmm, I haven't been keeping up on the forums. So PvP is definitely in?

As it appears though is WAR at least has open world objectives.

Rift=WoW

Doesn't necessarily make one better than another though.

Vortex5oo

Apprentice Member

OP  12/25/10 9:50:35 AM#9
Originally posted by Paradoxy
Originally posted by Vortex5oo

Well in WAR you are stuck to dps/tank/healer roll, there is no such thing in Rift. So it will be very interesting to see what kind of builds players will come up with. That is what i loved about Guild Wars and this is one thing that gets me really excited about Rift even though i am God awful terrible at PVP lol.

When you make your character first you get to select out of 4 main classes Warrior, Rouge, Cleric and Mage. Soon after you get your first soul), you get second soul at lvl 5 and one more soul later on. The class system is more complex than it first appears. For warrior souls for example you can combine skills from all these classes champion, reaver, paladin, paragon, warlord etc.

That sounds awesome. =)

jdnewell

Elite Member

12/25/10 9:51:35 AM#10

I played WaR from closed beta 2 up until almost a year after release.  I stuck with it even with the bugs and problems just because I like the IP so much and hoped that they would shape the game up into something better.

I have hopes for RIFT and just got invited to the next phase of beta testing on the 28th. If its lke WAR but more polished then it will probably be just what I personally am looking for.

Maybe not what everyone likes I agree, but I am hoping its PvP will make up for any shortfalls.

Paradoxy

Apprentice Member

12/25/10 9:55:01 AM#11
Originally posted by terroni

Rift=WoW

PVP was always in for BETA3  just that this beta wasn't planned. So it will happen in beta 4. is that what you were asking?

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Vortex5oo

Apprentice Member

OP  12/25/10 9:59:06 AM#12
Originally posted by jdnewell

I played WaR from closed beta 2 up until almost a year after release.  I stuck with it even with the bugs and problems just because I like the IP so much and hoped that they would shape the game up into something better.

<snip>

Your experience with WAR sounds a lot like mine, I really love the Warhammer IP and stuck with the game through bugs and imbalance, hoping for a better tomorrow but it never come. :) (Not to say WAR is all bad, it have its good sides too.)

Lobotomist

Hard Core Member

I got so much trouble on my mind Refuse to lose.

12/25/10 10:04:33 AM#13

I have no problems with Rift being like WAR. WAR was excelent MMO on paper but failed on the execution.

Infact Rift does resembles WAR in many areas. One being PQ where it is similar but much more advanced.

What is still not clear is wether Rift will have contested areas ? Because those are esential to a real PVP game.

Other than this. Although Rift has nifty soul system. WAR has better classes, hands down

terroni

Novice Member

12/25/10 11:08:08 AM#14
Originally posted by Paradoxy
Originally posted by terroni

Rift=WoW

PVP was always in for BETA3  just that this beta wasn't planned. So it will happen in beta 4. is that what you were asking?

Yeah the PvP beta will be Beta 4? Beta 3(28th-31st) is just being able to play both sides at once but no PvP?

Gankalicious

Novice Member

12/25/10 12:02:26 PM#15
Originally posted by Lobotomist

I have no problems with Rift being like WAR. WAR was excelent MMO on paper but failed on the execution.

Infact Rift does resembles WAR in many areas. One being PQ where it is similar but much more advanced.

What is still not clear is wether Rift will have contested areas ? Because those are esential to a real PVP game.

Other than this. Although Rift has nifty soul system. WAR has better classes, hands down

I agree though I still play WAR (sucker for punishment). I will say, however, that even without open-world contested zones Guild Wars had far superior PVP to Warhammer. I am almost ready to begin praying that Rift may offer an alternative to WAR. I dont need open RVR (as its mostly a disorganized mess until T4 when you then get owned by rr80+) but I would like open world PVP for random batlles (ganking) and good scenarios/alliance battles/arenas/whatever for pvp. PVE- dont care really so I may be stuck waiting.

Free cookies at:

www.gankalicious.blogspot.com

Bring cookies.

holdenhamlet

Elite Member

12/25/10 4:22:26 PM#16

PVP is going to be a mess if there's no restrictions on what your character can do.  I've read that the devs have said that they are not worried about balance and think the players will "balance themselves" by coming up with really cool builds that counter eachother.

What's going to happen is that everyone who wants to perform best will quickly find the best build or two and then crush the rest.

Imagine a Chosen in Warhammer that could cast all of the bright wizard spells.

It's just going to be a mess.  Maybe good for some silly fun but I couldn't see it being any more than a diversion from PVE and certainly not a main focus of the game.

I mean, it's destined to be less balanced than WoW pvp.

I'll probably try it out but it will mostly be for the PVE, although I've been hearing that gets a bit old fast, so I'm not sure.

Maybe if the devs seemed at all concerned about the issue or if they had some math geniuses working for them that could make like 5,000 variations balance with eachother.  But that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can tell.

SMITE: the awesomely addictive 3rd person MOBA

User Deleted
12/25/10 5:04:20 PM#17

Can respect  the above poster's thoughts.  The sig lets me know you like pvp.   I loved WAR when it launched.  Played it alot. It is my favorite recent mmo.  I only quit bc of boredom doing the same thing over and over again.  I also didnt like that BW no longer stacked.  Meaning, if you had 10 BW's doing Rain of FIre, only 5 counted.  

Every serious pvper will be a tank, with  HOTS and DD spells.   I guess there is no getting around that.  We shall see how much player skill matters at that point.  I do think there will be differences amongst skill set.   I will prolly be a dotter than can swing a sword and hot ... if possible.  I have not played Rift

Punk999

Novice Member

1/05/11 2:02:14 PM#18

Can only mix souls if they are the same Archtype.

So no war/mage is possible.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
^MMORPG.com

Toxilium

Novice Member

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

1/06/11 10:57:15 PM#19

RIFT is built on the same engine as WAR. They both have 2 factions. They both have PQ systems. They both have open world PvP on PvP servers. RIFT however, is polished.

deception77

Novice Member

1/06/11 11:06:34 PM#20

lol @ bad info flying around Rift does have realm vs realm I do not know where you get your info from Port Scion durrr....

Also warfronts are the only cross server instances and yes there is open world pvp but its scalable by zones similiar to war . They have not stated about any kind of mechanic similiar to war to prevent players on pvp servers from coming back to the earlier zones to grief but thats why they have pve servers for which will be closer to war 's current server mechanic ( IE flag if you want pvp or group with a flagged player etc) BUT all servers have realm vs realm and realm vs realm zones with objectives thats what Port Scion is all about and some sort of kill the king mechanic in also. As a VIP Ive done all three beta's so far and can tell you if you like WAR mechanics you will like rift also and I also play war currently and can tell you there is A LOT of players going to Rift on release , if i were you id go look in the badlands server forums and also the general forums on the bioware/ mythic site as you will probably know some people leaving for it.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search