Trending Games | EverQuest Next | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XV

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,778 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,312,539
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

5 posts found
  Ghist

Novice Member

Paid MMORPG subscriptions are the ONLY valid rating meters because people have to pay to vote."

OP  9/13/08 10:28:53 PM#1

Anyone else having trouble with Talisman making?  Since you need  Salvaging and Scavaging to get mats.

Waiting for the next thing

Black_Elvis

Apprentice Member

To be frank they are just hotdogs, their girls are relish, and they need to ketchup on their pimpin.

9/13/08 11:08:46 PM#2

Working as intended.

There is limited crafting, and therefore, reasons to sell crafting mats and products.  Each craft will require items from multiple sources, thus, providing a reason to run and put stuff on the AH.  If you want to make talismans, you will be able to.  Others will do other things, it will all work out.

Netspook

Novice Member

9/14/08 12:08:37 AM#3
Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Working as intended.

There is limited crafting, and therefore, reasons to sell crafting mats and products.  Each craft will require items from multiple sources, thus, providing a reason to run and put stuff on the AH.  If you want to make talismans, you will be able to.  Others will do other things, it will all work out.

Working as intended? It most certainly is not.

Mark Jacobs has repeatedly talked about how "fun", "not grindy", "quick / on-the-fly", etc, the crafting system is supposed to be.

In my opinion, crafting in WAR is the worst I've ever seen, and talisman making is a complete disaster. A new player won't get far in this, he won't be able to afford it. According to Mark's podcast from late May (early June?), a talisman maker needs ingredients from ALL the 4 gathering professions - no comments I've seen, neither official nor during beta, suggests this has changed. It would be natural for him to choose magical salvaging as a gathering profession, since essences it the base component in most (all?) talismans. So he will then have to buy everything else. I'm certain this alone is reason enough to give up early for most players.

Currently, there's doesn't exist a single auction house outside of the cities. This means that he will either have to put talisman making on hold often, or travel to the city whenever he's in need of components. This also means that most other gatherers may simply vendor all their stuff, instead of putting them up at the AH. Seriously, who the hell is going to the cities each time they need to clear their bags?

Even with magical salvaging, he will NOT be able to make all the essences himself. A gold essence is made by apothecaries, who need help from up to 2 other ppl (or AH), unless he's a cultivator, and he will need to buy 2 of the 4 ingredients. These will cost a bit to make, so even at the lowest crafting skill lvls, this will be a pricy item for the talisman maker - this is ONE ingredient, he need more before any talisman is made.

I could go on and on and on about this, but you get the idea. Crafting in WAR is horrible, and most ppl will simply gather stuff and vendor it.

DAS1337

Advanced Member

9/14/08 3:47:21 AM#4
Originally posted by Netspook
Originally posted by Black_Elvis

Working as intended.

Working as intended? It most certainly is not.

Mark Jacobs has repeatedly talked about how "fun", "not grindy", "quick / on-the-fly", etc, the crafting system is supposed to be.

In my opinion, crafting in WAR is the worst I've ever seen, and talisman making is a complete disaster. A new player won't get far in this, he won't be able to afford it. According to Mark's podcast from late May (early June?), a talisman maker needs ingredients from ALL the 4 gathering professions - no comments I've seen, neither official nor during beta, suggests this has changed. It would be natural for him to choose magical salvaging as a gathering profession, since essences it the base component in most (all?) talismans. So he will then have to buy everything else. I'm certain this alone is reason enough to give up early for most players.

Currently, there's doesn't exist a single auction house outside of the cities. This means that he will either have to put talisman making on hold often, or travel to the city whenever he's in need of components. This also means that most other gatherers may simply vendor all their stuff, instead of putting them up at the AH. Seriously, who the hell is going to the cities each time they need to clear their bags?

Even with magical salvaging, he will NOT be able to make all the essences himself. A gold essence is made by apothecaries, who need help from up to 2 other ppl (or AH), unless he's a cultivator, and he will need to buy 2 of the 4 ingredients. These will cost a bit to make, so even at the lowest crafting skill lvls, this will be a pricy item for the talisman maker - this is ONE ingredient, he need more before any talisman is made.

I could go on and on and on about this, but you get the idea. Crafting in WAR is horrible, and most ppl will simply gather stuff and vendor it.

While I agree that it is horribly shallow, neither of the two professions are hard at all to figure out.  It's a slow go, but I have almost 6 gold and 20 salvaging.. maybe 10 talisman crafting.. while those are not high by any means, it's been done for free.  My only expenses were gold essence and curios.  Both of them are extremely cheap from merchant vendors.  Where you are getting that it's going to cost an arm and a leg.. I can't understand.  You're not going to be the only person buying things from others in the AH,  Everyone will be doing it on the server.  Which will drive prices down a lot.  Demand is high.. but the supply is always going to be there.  You empty your bags at merchants in the dozens of camps across the world.  What are you talking about?  You only need to go to Altdorf if you intend on diving into your profession for a little while, and all you have to do is go back to your bind spot, and then fly there.  Wow, a whole 60 seconds to get that done, that's WAY TOO LONG!! OMG!!!  God forbid you can't do everything yourself, you might actually need help from others.  God forbid you actually have to purchase something, what ever happened to the days where everything was free?  Oh yeah, that time never existed.  Not in any MMO.  Ever.  Period.

You underestimate the power of those two crafting classes. 

maddbomber83

Novice Member

9/14/08 11:01:55 AM#5

EQ2 tried to do this as well.  Their system basically had each profession (except cooking) rely on 1 or 2 other professions to make their product. 

After a couple months, or a year, I forget, they changed it so that each profession could make everything they needed, but it was more expensive if it was an item someone else is supposed to make.

And finally, they did away with the whole system and made it so each profession did not need anything else from another profession.

The reason for the changes?  Appeal to more players.  See, hardcore crafters did not have a problem with the original ways of crafting.  They networked with who they needed and made their products.  Took a lot of extra effort and organization.  Was very challenging for some professions!  But that made it a lot of fun for those who like that type of game play.  But most did not.

Most players want crafting to be a solo sport.  A break from all the group content other places.  Something they can just work on when they don't feel like questing or RvR.  This seems to apply to most players.  Maybe they just want it easy.

Point is, another popular game has gone down this road.  Making any mechanic difficult turns on hardcore players and turns off casual players.  So far my experience in this game tells me the dev team is going for very smooth and accessible.  I would not be surprised if they altered crafting (which i have no experience with in this game, except gathering) to also make it more accessible to the casual player.