Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,039 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,789
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Review-lite from a non-MMO'er

8 posts found
  Keerosene

Novice Member

OP  9/12/08 3:57:02 AM#1

So here we are, almost a week from launch. I've been playing Team Fortress 2 since January, dabbled here and there in Guild Wars (left after 2 weeks of no depth), and generally am too cheap to actually go and subscribe to a game. I have tried the WoW 14-day trial for 45 minutes, never tried AoC, played Ragnarok Online for a long time and I did play the LotRO trial for about 2 weeks, and I have done PLENTY of trials and free MMO's in the past. I have done the Open Beta everyday so far, and I'll give you the run down. So, enough with that...

Pros:

The Public Quests (enter a certain area, the objectives pop up, you kill and do things, you win, grab some loot if you scored high enough, and do it again after 2 or 3 minutes. Doing these gives you "Influence" which allows you to get free great gear for your level from a npc.) ROCK. Some are harder, and even more tedious, but some of the boss battles at the end are real fun. You could easily see 5 or more guys get stomped before you kill the boss. One PQ in the Empire area has a towering Troll break through trees before he swings at folks. It's awesome.

The RvR... it's extremely fun.The main reason I want to buy this game now is because I spent twenty minutes in RvR and found how well oiled this machine is. I hated PVP in Guild Wars, but this is just so seamless and engaging. You can still Tank, DPS, Heal, etc without being a hindrance to your group. The classes that would be left out in other games actually get to shine when in RvR. The seige weapons you can use at Tier 1 are fun (you can use a cannon to help fend of enemies that are getting to close to your zone, dealing a nice chunk of damage when they're hit). I can easily see why this will draw A LOT of people from other games. My guild has been RvRing now for awhile now in Tier 1, and it's never a dull moment. (Well, except when we kill them all. ;P)

Class Diversity. No, you don't have to be the Healer that stands around waiting to die in one hit. This time you can actually fight back, and even win. Yes, you can even be a Tank that actually does damage. There's a lot of classes to choose from, I myself got HOOKED on the Engineer class. There's some turds that I hated where as my guild mates loved them. (Warrior Priest, Bright Wizard.) I've never had this much trouble choosing an actual main though. I'm looking at 4 different classes that I want to be my main. They're all that good. I've rolled about 80% of them, and they all got a great mix of skills.

The grouping system. Why hasn't this been done in other games before? No more "LFG for *quest*". It's just click  > click > done.

The UI. At first, I was complaining about how cluttered it was. Now, it's fairly smooth. After about 4-5 hours of playing, I have no problem with it at all. The learning curve was still there though. Quests are no longer "head northwest past the mountain and find this boar", but the map (and mini-map) will have a red zone  that you can mouse over to give you quick details on what you need to do there. NPC's are clearly marked to show when you can get a quest from them (green), when you have one from them (yellow) and when you head to them for rewards (orange). Out of my whole time questing, I've yet to find a "fight 50 of these". The rewards are good, and the exp is very nice. Well, in PQ, there's the kill 100 of these, but when you have 20 people, you kinda have to spread them around. :P

The Tome of Knowledge. I rarely use it, but there is SO much written in that thing for backstory that the RP nerds are going to asplode.

Fun. When I played the LotRO trial, the fun wore off after a few days. This Open Beta has been so much fun, even with some errors. There has been a large "one more Rank (level), just one more!" factor that plenty of the other games didn't have.

Cons:

The graphics. They're similar to LotRO, but still nothing to write home about. It's only beta, and at the moment there's plenty of animations that are off and it's not that optimized, but hey, as long as the gameplay works, I'm not complaining.

Balance. At the moment, A LOT of people are going Destruction, and some of the classes on that side are a bit overpowered.

File size. It's huge at 10 gigs. :/

Some aspects of the engine. At the moment some mobs can't be targeted, gives you errors, some skills fail, etc. This is maybe 1/10 mobs or so. I have got stuck on a door, in terrain, etc. It has it's fair share of bugs, but nothing major. It IS beta, and they have worked the annoying ones in such a short time.

So there you have it. Does it "suck"? No. It's not AoC. Is it better than WoW? According to some of my guildes (who've played WoW since launch) yes. It's has a lot of factors right, strong depth, and plenty I've yet to see. I wonder how far people that wrote the reviews on the site have gotten in the game. Seemingly only like 2 hours. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but what it does, it does well. I'll give the game, from my time in beta, a solid B.

...now if my guildies would stop saying "we got some Horde guys comin'!" over Vent. :P

TL:DR

Most fun I had in a beta, albeit with some bugs. The RvR rocks my socks, and I'm buying the game just because of how much sock-rocking it did.

Grrl

Apprentice Member

I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

9/12/08 4:03:05 AM#2

+1

rizzi

Novice Member

9/12/08 8:37:25 AM#3

Glad to hear you enjoyed it I haven't had the chance to play myself, even though i did buy a pre-order box, there was no way i could dl the 10 gig on this poor internet connection

Can't wait till i install it and play it from cd

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/12/08 10:03:35 AM#4

What happened to the flaming and damning of people who haven't played the game through months of beta?

Well I guess because her "review" is in favor of WAR she will get praises from the players here, ROFL.

What a joke.

A few things about the cons (whoa!):

The graphics are fine. You cannot have a game with AoC-type graphics that will perform acceptably for the majority of players in a RvR/Mass PvP situation. It is not reasonable to assume everyone will be playing the game on 3k USD systems.

The file size is fine. Age of Conan is 32GB, and Vanguard is over 20GB. I hear that the release client will be ~17GB (there are no high quality textures in it at the moment, IIRC).

Lastly, as a "non-MMOer" you are not qualified to tell us whether a game sucks or is better than another. There are probably more people on this forum than in your guild; whom disagree with the friends in your guild, but have been playing this genre for 7-10 years (since EQ1 or before).

I think it's funny the way you call yourself a non-MMOer, yet you compare the game to at least 2 others. I didn't think non-MMOers played MMOs!

This seems like nothing but another attempt at a fanboi to get his word in, in a sea of complaints.

EDIT: Notice that I've said nothing bad about the game, so please don't waste you breath!

Fangman

Apprentice Member

There must be nothing wrong with death, no one's come back to complain about it...

9/12/08 11:47:21 AM#5

Sorry, but can you give us a link to where they said high-quality textures will be added at a later date? Or is that the additional graphics options available in the latest build? I'd like to believe you, but more often than not people just say these things.

Fensus

Novice Member

9/12/08 12:23:47 PM#6

Originally posted by UbahNecro

What happened to the flaming and damning of people who haven't played the game through months of beta?

Well I guess because her "review" is in favor of WAR she will get praises from the players here, ROFL.

What a joke.

The graphics are fine. You cannot have a game with AoC-type graphics that will perform acceptably for the majority of players in a RvR/Mass PvP situation. It is not reasonable to assume everyone will be playing the game on 3k USD systems.

he/she never said the graphics were horrible. Nor anything negative enough to warrant you to point out stupid facts about AOC or statistics on the populations gaming rigs.

The file size is fine. Age of Conan is 32GB, and Vanguard is over 20GB. I hear that the release client will be ~17GB (there are no high quality textures in it at the moment, IIRC).

To be honest, their comment of the client size in no way should have provoked you to counter it... its something to deeply rooted in opinion and personal hardware that its a moot point.

Lastly, as a "non-MMOer" you are not qualified to tell us whether a game sucks or is better than another. There are probably more people on this forum than in your guild; whom disagree with the friends in your guild, but have been playing this genre for 7-10 years (since EQ1 or before).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how you became so 'qualified'  oh great one. How does that even make sense? And becasue theres random people on the forum with more experience means his oppinion is invalid? okay....

I think it's funny the way you call yourself a non-MMOer, yet you compare the game to at least 2 others. I didn't think non-MMOers played MMOs!

So... because he has little MMO experience ( not none) he has to compare the game to TF2? right....

This seems like nothing but another attempt at a fanboi to get his word in, in a sea of complaints.

EDIT: Notice that I've said nothing bad about the game, so please don't waste you breath!

Just because he hasnt played MMO's extensively doesnt mean his oppinion isnt valid. Besides the fact that he already pointed out his/her lack of experience.

In case you forgot  you clicked on THIS post. He/she didnt 'lure' you in to try and brainwash you with their oppinions, there for you should respec their oppinions.

{ Mod Edit }

Fensus

Novice Member

9/12/08 12:33:49 PM#7

On a happier note though, Good review. You managed to point out more constructive points than most experienced players

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/13/08 2:42:31 PM#8

Originally posted by Fensus

Originally posted by UbahNecro

What a joke.
he/she never said the graphics were horrible. Nor anything negative enough to warrant you to point out stupid facts about AOC or statistics on the populations gaming rigs.
To be honest, their comment of the client size in no way should have provoked you to counter it... its something to deeply rooted in opinion and personal hardware that its a moot point.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me how you became so 'qualified'  oh great one. Your point is so stupid here I dont even want to respond to it.  uhhhhhh of course theres more people on this huge forum than the people in his pre-release guild you freakin idiot. How does that even make sense? And becasue theres random people on the forum with more experience ( even though they didnt feel the need to come in here and start throwing their weight around like an assclown) means his oppinion is invalid? okay....
So... because he has little MMO experience ( not none) he has to compare the game to TF2? right....

you sir, are the fanboi. Period. and nothings worse than a fanboi who thinks hes better than any other fanboi.

Hmm its hard to detect whether you're being sarcastic or not, but since the troll theme seems to carry on throughout your post, i'll just assume your stupidity is valid. Your post is completely useless, out of place and in no way justified by the OP. Just because he hasnt played MMO's extensively doesnt mean his oppinion isnt valid. Besides the fact that he already pointed out his/her lack of experience, you feel the need to further attack his/her credibility you cock juggling ass monkey.
In case you forgot ( assuming your mememory is as extensive as your foolishness) you clicked on THIS post. He/she didnt 'lure' you in to try and brainwash you with their oppinions, there for you should respec their oppinions.
Lastly, because you're obviously a FANBOI since you only attack ther OP's minor 'cons' , you lose all remaining credibility. Yet, for some reason you still felt it necessary to attack his points.Good day sir. Go back to the Troll cave in the mountains you crawled out of.

Interesting... Why so defensive?

In the other thread people said that a person who played up to level 3 couldn't write a review... But it's okay for people who are non-MMOers to write reivew and [gasp!] compare one game to another? I think she/he is less qualified than the average corporate shill.

1. I never said she said the graphics were horrible...

2. I never said she was complaining about the client size. I was stating that in 2008, a 9GB client is NOTHING compared to what is out there. EverQuest 2 has a 7GB client, and it was released a long time ago. WoW comes on 2 DVDs (Gamem + Expansion) so I would guess that it's client would be up there also. DAoC with all expansions is at or over 5GB. EverQuest with all expansions is bigger than EQ2... Your point is what? My point is that 9GB is not a problem. You can either wait for it to come out in stores for a DVD (or two) and install it then patch, or download the BETA client on your internet connection. I'm not sure what the OP was expecting IRT client-size, games have been that size or close to it for YEARS... What about the WAR client size is new or groundbreaking? Lol..

3. Read my first paragraph. Again, I don't see how a non-MMOer can compare one MMO to another or tell us which one is better than another. A non-MMOer is ignorant to many aspects of the genre that are actually important to many of its players. I didn't say I was qualified, and you don't see me writing reviews, either. I said I didn't think that a self-professed NON-MMOer should be writing reviews. I also think it's a bit hypocritical for players to flame a corporate shill's review because he only got to level 3 yet praise the review of a non-MMOer just because his/her review seems a bit more positive towards the game.

4. No. I think this review is about as cridible as the other, where the player only got to level 3.

5. How am I a fanboi. I am a fanboi of what game? I'm confused... Does fanboi now have a different definition. First of all, I defended this horrible game, by giving justifications for the shorcomings mentioned in the above review. Second of all, I said nothing positive about any other game, or negative about this game. How does this make me a fanboi, and please tell me what entity or game that I seem to be a fan of? I don't play WoW, so that's out the window. What else is there? I are harsh even on the games that I play (Lineage II, read those forums), so I think fanboi is one of my least apparent characteristics to the point that it doesn't even exist. Nice try, though...

The rest of your post (aside from the red) doesn't matter and therefore I didn't bother reading it. I did report it for the extensive use of profanities, though. I will admit, however, that it was very witty!