Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,679 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,896
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » I am quite pleasantly surprised

7 posts found
  kelemit

Novice Member

OP  9/11/08 12:30:19 PM#1

I have to say I'm not going to write much... I haven't been on the forums much lately at all because I've just been too busy enjoying this game.

I came on tonight (i'm in S.Korea... so midday is midnight to me and vice versa) because the servers were down for maintenance.

As I read many of the posts downplaying the game, I was surprised.  I really enjoy this game. 

Yes, when I first started, I was a bit dissapointed and grumbled.  My wife and I weren't sure, but we wanted a MMO and we haven't played one for a while.  We found out about this, but were going to give it a pass, to continue on one we were currently on (FFXI).  But ... after realizing we were quite bored with that game, we decided to try this, after I did some look into and research.

The first 2 or 3 hours, like I said, was a bit depressing... but after about the 4th hour, I started finding a smile on my face.  After about the 6th hour, my wife and I were giggling like little kids as we slaughtered those weak order drones.

By the time we went to bed, my wife was dreaming of order forces charging across a plain of green grass, both of us laughing that we still saw the game in our day dreams when we closed our eyes to sleep, waiting for sleep to come.

I woke up the next morning with an itchy feeling to jump back on as soon as I woke up.  ANd this has been happening for the last week or so as my wife and I have played it. 

The combat in PvP is slower, which I love.  I can't stand dying before I even know what hit me.  It allows a little more strategic thinking than simply sticking the first guy and all assisting on his target and destroying that person.  It is even more vitally important in this game to take out the support to get at the core of the group... which... of course... makes healers an even bigger target, which again is annoying... but always something annoying, yes?

While the PVP combat is slow, the combat PVE is pretty fast, in comparison.  You kill things quickly and easily.  Much more easily than many of the other MMO's i've played in.  In fact, I find it just a tad too easy, but it is fun.  That doesn't mean that there aren't times I die.  I found myself dieing quite a few times.

PVP is a blast.  Skills are unique every level... several times with 2 a level, that level and grow as you level, so NONE of the skills ever become obsolete.  (ok... not completely true, you just end up able to use others that appear that can be more powerful, but they all compliment each other, in a lot of ways, so you can use them in conjunction.)  But, even by level 10 ~ 15... I soon found myself becoming overwhelmed by the abilities available to me.  THere were already more than I could fit on my hotbar by then, and I had 12 spots.  

PQs are fun.  ALthough, like others have said, once you learn them, they could become boring.  And thats the truth no matter what game you play.  Anything that is static and set will become boring once learned by rote.  But, that said, there are so many of them even in the first coupe zones, they can almost seem overwhelming... but they are not mandatory in anyway whatsoever... actually just something really fun to do, actually.

Scenarioes are fun, although I was surprised to find that they were all different for each of the 3 main fighting zones.  THat was pretty cool and crazy.  They each add a very different flavor to the combat.

Well, there's alot more that I could say, but honestly, I will say only one more thing to convince you.

I'm leaving these forums now only because I want to check to see if the servers are back up after the lastest maintence so I can start playing again.

Take that as you will, but I find this game a blast to play, its just a joy.  It brings back the feeling of playing on christmas morning as a 5 ~ 10 year old just opening all his cool christmas presents, or the day you bought your first computer / console.  It's just plain fun.

I won't be back in a while... i'll need to either see if the game is ready, or go to bed (2:30 am here) because i want to wake early tomorrow and play all day with my friends back inthe states. 

I will try to return in a couple days.... although as crazy as I found myself spending in this game, it will probably not be until next week because I probably won't want to write to you unless i'm at work bored waiting for my next class to start.  Although, i'm about ready to load the game up on my laptop to play at my office as well.  (My boss never shows up, so I'm safe, plus... he wouldn't care as long as I get my job done.)

Regardless, those who are willing to give it the 4 or 5 hours will be pleasantly surprised as well, unless, of course, you are already too burned out right now... ( i know the feeling.)

See you all around... in game or otherwise...

Sincerely,

Kelemit

omegaman

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:44:01 PM#2

I too was not ipressed with the starting areas..I gave it a chance and once Imoved out to the next area I liked it more..I think the whole notowns your dumped in a warzone thing is a bit different than what everyone is used to.

I like PQ allways some decent gear to get out of them from the PQ as well as we'll call it rep you get by killing the mobs in them.

Then add in scenarios and your having a blast..wish you got better gear in the scendary areas though from renown instead of stuck with the same gear you can get at rank 4 till rank 11.unless i missed something.

Yes I too love the game ..first time i booted it up I was wishing for wow with the pvp of daoc..I now see and im pleasantly surprised it really its own game with some unique ideas.

plescure

Novice Member

Lvl 39 in the MMO called "Life"

9/11/08 12:57:32 PM#3
Originally posted by kelemit

I have to say I'm not going to write much... I haven't been on the forums much lately at all because I've just been too busy enjoying this game.

I came on tonight (i'm in S.Korea... so midday is midnight to me and vice versa) because the servers were down for maintenance.

As I read many of the posts downplaying the game, I was surprised.  I really enjoy this game. 

Yes, when I first started, I was a bit dissapointed and grumbled.  My wife and I weren't sure, but we wanted a MMO and we haven't played one for a while.  We found out about this, but were going to give it a pass, to continue on one we were currently on (FFXI).  But ... after realizing we were quite bored with that game, we decided to try this, after I did some look into and research.

The first 2 or 3 hours, like I said, was a bit depressing... but after about the 4th hour, I started finding a smile on my face.  After about the 6th hour, my wife and I were giggling like little kids as we slaughtered those weak order drones.

By the time we went to bed, my wife was dreaming of order forces charging across a plain of green grass, both of us laughing that we still saw the game in our day dreams when we closed our eyes to sleep, waiting for sleep to come.

I woke up the next morning with an itchy feeling to jump back on as soon as I woke up.  ANd this has been happening for the last week or so as my wife and I have played it. 

The combat in PvP is slower, which I love.  I can't stand dying before I even know what hit me.  It allows a little more strategic thinking than simply sticking the first guy and all assisting on his target and destroying that person.  It is even more vitally important in this game to take out the support to get at the core of the group... which... of course... makes healers an even bigger target, which again is annoying... but always something annoying, yes?

While the PVP combat is slow, the combat PVE is pretty fast, in comparison.  You kill things quickly and easily.  Much more easily than many of the other MMO's i've played in.  In fact, I find it just a tad too easy, but it is fun.  That doesn't mean that there aren't times I die.  I found myself dieing quite a few times.

PVP is a blast.  Skills are unique every level... several times with 2 a level, that level and grow as you level, so NONE of the skills ever become obsolete.  (ok... not completely true, you just end up able to use others that appear that can be more powerful, but they all compliment each other, in a lot of ways, so you can use them in conjunction.)  But, even by level 10 ~ 15... I soon found myself becoming overwhelmed by the abilities available to me.  THere were already more than I could fit on my hotbar by then, and I had 12 spots.  

PQs are fun.  ALthough, like others have said, once you learn them, they could become boring.  And thats the truth no matter what game you play.  Anything that is static and set will become boring once learned by rote.  But, that said, there are so many of them even in the first coupe zones, they can almost seem overwhelming... but they are not mandatory in anyway whatsoever... actually just something really fun to do, actually.

Scenarioes are fun, although I was surprised to find that they were all different for each of the 3 main fighting zones.  THat was pretty cool and crazy.  They each add a very different flavor to the combat.

Well, there's alot more that I could say, but honestly, I will say only one more thing to convince you.

I'm leaving these forums now only because I want to check to see if the servers are back up after the lastest maintence so I can start playing again.

Take that as you will, but I find this game a blast to play, its just a joy.  It brings back the feeling of playing on christmas morning as a 5 ~ 10 year old just opening all his cool christmas presents, or the day you bought your first computer / console.  It's just plain fun.

I won't be back in a while... i'll need to either see if the game is ready, or go to bed (2:30 am here) because i want to wake early tomorrow and play all day with my friends back inthe states. 

I will try to return in a couple days.... although as crazy as I found myself spending in this game, it will probably not be until next week because I probably won't want to write to you unless i'm at work bored waiting for my next class to start.  Although, i'm about ready to load the game up on my laptop to play at my office as well.  (My boss never shows up, so I'm safe, plus... he wouldn't care as long as I get my job done.)

Regardless, those who are willing to give it the 4 or 5 hours will be pleasantly surprised as well, unless, of course, you are already too burned out right now... ( i know the feeling.)

See you all around... in game or otherwise...

Sincerely,

Kelemit

hmmm. can i please draw your attention to the first line of your post where you stated you wern't going to write much! i dread to think what you can russle up when you intend to write a lot!

However completely agree with you. One of the things thats bothering me with a lot of the negative posts on here is i suspect that a lot of the players didnt get beyond that 3rd hour. Its like you say, when you first start playing, your impressions are not good, however after a bit of gameplay you find yourself being completely charmed by the game!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

kelemit

Novice Member

OP  9/13/08 1:57:16 AM#4

Heh.. sorry.. yeah... i am a fast typer, and do tend to write a bit.

Yeah.. i find the game alot of fun... Hope to see you in there.

Kelemit

DAS1337

Advanced Member

9/13/08 2:49:47 AM#5

I didn't get the giddy feeling until around rank 6-7.  I told me friend the same thing, and that's around where he started to get addicted.  People are too judgemental.  If you play it out, you'll be happy you did.

cjdrinic

Novice Member

9/13/08 7:18:42 AM#6

I had the same first impressions as most of you stated here, it really does take a few to really get into the game.  Maybe they could tweak the quests at first make them little more interesting.  Don't know how to fix it.  Maybe its the getting use to the new game and controls that make it little drab, Graphics I didn't mind.  I did hear from friend they improved them, I'm gonna have to check them out today after work.

solarine

Advanced Member

9/13/08 7:31:54 AM#7

Pretty much same here. For me the game opened up after rank 6 or so.