Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,680 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,854
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Polish? Warhammer ran out of paint.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
52 posts found
  Haelix

Novice Member

''Wisest is he who knows he does not know''

EQ DAoC AC EQ2 DDO V HL GW LoTRO AoC WoW WAR(beta)

9/10/08 4:56:17 PM#21

"MMOs played: WoW, Tabula Rasa, LOTRO"

Of those you listed I was in the beta test for two of them. And trust me, they were a mess pre launch. WAR is actually surprisingly polished for a launch mmo.

Also, that seems like a pretty shallow pool of mmo experience to draw from to make the kindof judgement your making. WoW and LoTRO are pretty polished games at this stage of the game and are really not the norm. You really need to experience the trainwreck that is most MMO launches to truly appreciate how smoothly things are going right now for WAR.

crunchyblack

Apprentice Member

9/10/08 5:03:19 PM#22

Obvious troll thread, but i will say my experience as a bright wizards has been just about the opposite.

I dont get the complaint over lack of travel points and things to do over level 12.... didnt you follow the arrow north to the next map? Did you try to travel to the dwarf and elf maps? Some areas you cant fly to you have to walk to unless controlled by order.

Another low IQ complaint thread for sure.

Schwoops

Novice Member

9/10/08 7:07:12 PM#23
Originally posted by Inrage

Please don't feed the trolls.  Nothing to see here. 

Sorry to hear you didn't like the game, you can go back to WOW now.  Warhammer won't miss you.

This was said in AoC many times... I think they are missing them now... don't let history repeat itself.

veratutazz

Novice Member

9/10/08 7:23:02 PM#24
Originally posted by Malleusma

MMOs played: WoW, Tabula Rasa, LOTRO

It is now less than one week to release.

MMOs Played:

UO, EQ, EQ2, DaoC, AO, SWG, Neocron 2, WISH(LOL never made it past beta), D&L (LOL again), Planetside (Is a MMOFPS still an MMO?), Lineage 2, WoW, 9dragons, AoC, Asheron's Call, Atlantica, CoH/CoV, Entropia/Second Life/There.com (do we consider these MMO's?),LotrO, Ryzom, Savage Eden (ugh), Vanguard (ugh), Stargate (in beta)

Respectfully, young padawan, I find your comments lack.... experience.

Although Warhammer is not a perfect game and there are many things I, too, could call .. lackluster..

I find the comment that this game is "The least finished game I have seen, this close to release. What have they been working on for 3 years? Seemingly not much besides the rvr mechanics"

To be a fair comment (given your experience), but one that begins to seriously drain in value when you take into account more of the MMO's created over the last 2 decades.

Again, to be fair, I think LoTR and TR were more... polished.. in certain ways upon release. I am not sure I would argue that of the first few weeks of WoW. *Shrug*

However

Uo, AO, Vanguard, DaoC, SWG, AoC & Neo2 were all VASTLY worse off in their first few weeks than Warhammer.

If you had only been there for UO, AO, or Vanguard release.... I think you would deeply agree with this sentiment.

On the upside... IMHO all of those games have improved with age. .. .. actually.. all of the MMOs I have played that have SURVIVED release have gotten better with age.. and I think War will too :-)

mrroboto40

Novice Member

9/10/08 7:49:28 PM#25

In fact that's what Bright Wizards do best, they die. I must have died over 200 times.

At least you got an achievement.

Isokonari

Novice Member

9/10/08 9:28:11 PM#26
Originally posted by mrroboto40

In fact that's what Bright Wizards do best, they die. I must have died over 200 times.

At least you got an achievement.

On another note, many of the things the TO is unhappy about are a result of lacking knowledge. Examples are the number of Flight Masters, the vendors (note: uncheck the box that say "filter items", because it filters out all the items that you can't use, which as a low lvl character in an Tier 4 area is...all of them ), the talismans (yes there are trainers for talisman crafting and yes they are quest rewards and yes they also drop at random from normal mobs, and yes you will also be able to buy them at the ah if enough people have advanced in talisman crafting, which they don't have till now since it takes a freaking long time and by the end of open beta it will have been all for naught anyway).

Seriously, there is a lot of things that still need to be done with the game, it's definitely not perfect. But most of the TO's issues are selfimposed or imaginary.

And the BW IS a glass cannon that's considered to be the highest dps class in the game. What do you think happens if you "dart into" a group of enemies with a glass cannon? They are going to rip you a new one.

Note that there is a chance of 50% that a firecage is lifted if the one rooted suffers any damage; you can read that in the spell's tool tip. It's not a "root enemy and safely kill them while out of meelee range" spell but a "damn there is a meelee on me I need to gain some distance" spell. It's kind of pointless if you close that distance in order to use it. That's like asking someone to punch you in the face so you can use that first aid kit of yours...

You have to take one thing into consideration: You just might not be good at playing a Bright Wizard.

/rant off

By the way, I have never played a BW myself. But I have played in groups with them, against them, talked with people that play them and read pages upon pages of discussions about them from people who have played them for at least several months.

Creasian

Advanced Member

9/11/08 4:14:49 AM#27

On the bright wizard comment.. about death.

BW is a insane burst dps output.  You stay back, you hit what you can, and you GO FOR the people who arent paying attention.  You use rocks, bushes, and distance to your advantage.  I have killed tanks one on one in the senarios in T2 because I am not a moron and use my strengths.  I also have worked on toughness and wounds which helps alot.  I am often targeted with a big ! and die to the other casters if they concentrate on me before tanks anymore.  That and those witch elfs that go into camo and come out.  If you see one near you fade like that your best bet is to use your PBaoe and get them out.. and hope your back isnt turned to them when you kick them out of it.

BW is awsome fun.  Getting stronger and more survival.  Yeah you die very fast, but that is often because you get yourself pinched, flanked, or just into range of the casters.  Your purpose is to not take down the tanks, but the HEALERS and other ranged dps.  You can reach them and they can reach you, that is your job to handle that.  Your tanks handle the other tanks and you work as a team. 

Kruniac2

Novice Member

9/11/08 7:19:59 AM#28

You know, a lot of people complain about the graphics because they dont realize that you cannot enable antialiasing or anything like that from the Settings menu in the Open Beta.

Use your video card's settings manager (like Catalyst Control Center) To manually enable AA and AF, and the graphics should look much better.

Yeah, projectiles look goofy. Yeah, there are a lot of small bugs. However, I havent seen many crashes, connection issues, and so forth with my system, and that is a step up from AoC, for certain. In WAR, I can do a few typical lam0r quests to kill a boar, then if I get bored with that crap, go slamdance on someone's head in RvR immediately.

Cramony, in DAOC you had to wait a good while before RvR. I got my first RvR kill at Rank 2. Ownt.

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:34:55 PM#29

Originally posted by Kruniac2
You know, a lot of people complain about the graphics because they dont realize that you cannot enable antialiasing or anything like that from the Settings menu in the Open Beta.

Use your video card's settings manager (like Catalyst Control Center) To manually enable AA and AF, and the graphics should look much better.

Yeah, projectiles look goofy. Yeah, there are a lot of small bugs. However, I havent seen many crashes, connection issues, and so forth with my system, and that is a step up from AoC, for certain. In WAR, I can do a few typical lam0r quests to kill a boar, then if I get bored with that crap, go slamdance on someone's head in RvR immediately.

Cramony, in DAOC you had to wait a good while before RvR. I got my first RvR kill at Rank 2. Ownt.

Most of the people who read and post on these boards got the clue about AA etc. on day one of the Open Beta. There are similar threads about it on VN Boards... I doubt someone who posts here with more than 10 posts or has been lurking for quite a while is all that clueless about the graphics. In either case, He really wasn't complaining too much about the grphics. Most of his complaints were about the class balance, which IMO is always either hit-or-miss or horribly crapped up in Mythic games, especially when it comes to caster classes.

I play DAoC and the classes are just as imbalanced, for the most part, but it seems that Warhammer did not move forward from DAoC in regards to Class Balance. It's as if they have the same developer team reinventing the wheel to create the same game with moderate differences/additions on top of a better graphics engine. I cannot really complain about the graphics, since I am a huge advocate on making games accessible seeing as how MMOs are really dependent on player population and graphics that require top-notch systems exclude millions of potential players.

Where I do really agree with the OP is in terms of class balance, in particular the caster classes. I find it quite insulting that one person told him to try another class.

There is only 1 ranged caster DPS class in Order, the Bright Wizard. I have never played a game that had so little choice IRT ranged DPS classes. There is much less choice even than Dark Age of Camelot. That is sadening. Another thing is the surviveability of caster classes in Mythic games are always notoriously horrible unless you have the best gear in the game and you are fighting someone with rather subpar gear. 2-3 shots are common in DAoC, as well as WAR for robe users and I feel that they take it to the extreme, especially seeing as how this is an RvR game and you cannot "pick you wars" like in GvG and FFA PvP games (e.g. Lineage II, you can avoid warring a top clan and opt to war a clan that is on par with you IRT gear and levels making the fights a bit more "balanced").

I only play Ranged DPS caster classes in MMOs - I dislike everything else. That is not a sign of poor flexibility. That is a sigh of a stable playstyle decision and knowing what you have fun doing in these types of games.

Warhammer has done little to really move MMOs forward. It has done nothing but reinvent the wheel by taking concepts from DAoC, WoW, and other games and putting in on top of another graphics engine, just like WoW did when it was released (few games are really notorious for this, only many of the Post-WoW games are). The worst thing about it is that they took some of the worst aspects of those games, also.

The RvR system is plagued with imbalances, and I'm suprised they have the Order/Destruction balance the way it is, seeing as how they have had YEARS of lessons from DAoC to make it better. The pet class system is horrible in WAR. Players who like pet classes will be let down. There is not enough class variety for some playstyles in this game.

So are you saying that every person who likes ranged DPS casters should just STFU and play a Bright Wizard or Sorcerer/ess? Where is the fun in that? What happened to MMOs with Archetypes that have different choices between them? Mage, Enchanter, Wizard Necromancer anyone? Spellsinger, Spellhowler, Sorcerer, Necromancer anyone? Bonedancer, Runemaster, Spiritmaster anyone?

No, WAR just has one on each side?

Fun = No, Boring = Yes. Choices = LOL.

Don't bother telling me, I will go back to xxx game anyways :)

I also know WAR won't miss me, so you don't have to bother telling me that either. I won't miss it either (or what seems like the community is going to be when it launches).

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 12:46:23 PM#30

Indeed.   Why do these people think they have completed a thorough review of the game ?

They want to be yesterdays people playing yesterdays game.  

Warhammer is exceptional - flaws and all and it is a worthy alternative to WOW at this moment in time.

You love MMORPG you play them on release, in beta whatever to increase your knowledge and contribute something to their development and future.

banthis

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 12:48:20 PM#31

Anyone that thinks Tabula Rasa was a good polished game at launch must of been dropped on their head as a child or sniffed alot paint.

WAR is probably the most polished game since Lord of the Rings.  No one is claiming the game is perfect we all know of bugs like glitches here and there but I've yet to find any broken content, holes that cause us to go under ground (other than turrets occasionaly), or any major game breaking borks.  Balance & Combat speed are subjective at best unless its other wise agreed in a major concenses that something is otu of wack and most seem to be heavily skewed to people just dont know what they're doing opinion more than 'the game is unbalanced'. 

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 12:54:57 PM#32
Originally posted by UbahNecro

Most of the people who read and post on these boards got the clue about AA etc. on day one of the Open Beta. There are similar threads about it on VN Boards... I doubt someone who posts here with more than 10 posts or has been lurking for quite a while is all that clueless about the graphics. In either case, He really wasn't complaining too much about the grphics. Most of his complaints were about the class balance, which IMO is always either hit-or-miss or horribly crapped up in Mythic games, especially when it comes to caster classes.

I play DAoC and the classes are just as imbalanced, for the most part, but it seems that Warhammer did not move forward from DAoC in regards to Class Balance. It's as if they have the same developer team reinventing the wheel to create the same game with moderate differences/additions on top of a better graphics engine. I cannot really complain about the graphics, since I am a huge advocate on making games accessible seeing as how MMOs are really dependent on player population and graphics that require top-notch systems exclude millions of potential players.

Where I do really agree with the OP is in terms of class balance, in particular the caster classes. I find it quite insulting that one person told him to try another class.

There is only 1 ranged caster DPS class in Order, the Bright Wizard. I have never played a game that had so little choice IRT ranged DPS classes. There is much less choice even than Dark Age of Camelot. That is sadening. Another thing is the surviveability of caster classes in Mythic games are always notoriously horrible unless you have the best gear in the game and you are fighting someone with rather subpar gear. 2-3 shots are common in DAoC, as well as WAR for robe users and I feel that they take it to the extreme, especially seeing as how this is an RvR game and you cannot "pick you wars" like in GvG and FFA PvP games (e.g. Lineage II, you can avoid warring a top clan and opt to war a clan that is on par with you IRT gear and levels making the fights a bit more "balanced").

I only play Ranged DPS caster classes in MMOs - I dislike everything else. That is not a sign of poor flexibility. That is a sigh of a stable playstyle decision and knowing what you have fun doing in these types of games.

Warhammer has done little to really move MMOs forward. It has done nothing but reinvent the wheel by taking concepts from DAoC, WoW, and other games and putting in on top of another graphics engine, just like WoW did when it was released (few games are really notorious for this, only many of the Post-WoW games are). The worst thing about it is that they took some of the worst aspects of those games, also.

The RvR system is plagued with imbalances, and I'm suprised they have the Order/Destruction balance the way it is, seeing as how they have had YEARS of lessons from DAoC to make it better. The pet class system is horrible in WAR. Players who like pet classes will be let down. There is not enough class variety for some playstyles in this game.

So are you saying that every person who likes ranged DPS casters should just STFU and play a Bright Wizard or Sorcerer/ess? Where is the fun in that? What happened to MMOs with Archetypes that have different choices between them? Mage, Enchanter, Wizard Necromancer anyone? Spellsinger, Spellhowler, Sorcerer, Necromancer anyone? Bonedancer, Runemaster, Spiritmaster anyone?

I also know WAR won't miss me, so you don't have to bother telling me that either. I won't miss it either (or what seems like the community is going to be when it launches).

What rvr is plagued with is a load of people that think a battle is standing in \a lie ne facing the enemy and taking pot shots at them with 0 thought for tactics nd team work.

You cant expect solid teamwork and an understanding of the best way to use a teams skills in OB  and early release so why are you trying to judge it now ?

f you are doing pvp you expect to die whatever clas you are especuially if you are facing off against numbers or get caught by numbers and most of your side are playing their own tactics and gameplan wit hno overall leader.

My chars take down Bright wizards and esp those that have 0 melee protection or a backup caster t odirect fire onto me when i attack the front line / back line etc.   I really dont se how they are over powered to the point of it being a real issue atm if at all.   

the fact you never play melee classes does say you are stuck in one mindset.  most casters want to just blast away and not die well you know what thats bull - in warhammer you are not going to be a solo king, no one is and you adapt or walk and go back to something less challenging for you.

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:56:58 PM#33

Originally posted by banthis
Anyone that thinks Tabula Rasa was a good polished game at launch must of been dropped on their head as a child or sniffed alot paint.
WAR is probably the most polished game since Lord of the Rings.  No one is claiming the game is perfect we all know of bugs like glitches here and there but I've yet to find any broken content, holes that cause us to go under ground (other than turrets occasionaly), or any major game breaking borks.  Balance & Combat speed are subjective at best unless its other wise agreed in a major concenses that something is otu of wack and most seem to be heavily skewed to people just dont know what they're doing opinion more than 'the game is unbalanced'. 

Idiots like you need to realize that the OP never said WoW, TR, or LoTRO was a polished game on release.

A comparison between one game and the other does not make the game above it all of a sudden "flawless". It is just a way to illustrate a point that the OP is trying to make.

These desperate attempts to sound witty are growing tiresome.

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/11/08 1:11:20 PM#34

Originally posted by DrDwarf

Originally posted by UbahNecro

What rvr is plagued with is a load of people that think a battle is standing in \a lie ne facing the enemy and taking pot shots at them with 0 thought for tactics nd team work.
You cant expect solid teamwork and an understanding of the best way to use a teams skills in OB  and early release so why are you trying to judge it now ?
f you are doing pvp you expect to die whatever clas you are especuially if you are facing off against numbers or get caught by numbers and most of your side are playing their own tactics and gameplan wit hno overall leader.
My chars take down Bright wizards and esp those that have 0 melee protection or a backup caster t odirect fire onto me when i attack the front line / back line etc.   I really dont se how they are over powered to the point of it being a real issue atm if at all.   

the fact you never play melee classes does say you are stuck in one mindset.  most casters want to just blast away and not die well you know what thats bull - in warhammer you are not going to be a solo king, no one is and you adapt or walk and go back to something less challenging for you.

I play Lineage II, I know what mass PvP is (you can call it RvR in WAR if you want, and it's basically the same as a castle seige in L2 one clan/alliace v. another) and it is hardly just taking potshots at the other side without teamwork. But nice try there, cause that certainly doesn't describe me. I like how these games are plagues with elitists that think they know what RvR/Mass PvP is about, but anyone who dislikes the PvP in this game doesn't.

I never even stated anything about not liking the PvP/RvR, I was speaking from a class balance point of view. It is bad to get killed on a caster class before a healer can get a heal off on you - those instant heals won't be an indefinitely viable way of keeping people up.

You also seem to now know that smart PvPers will always go for the softer targets first. Low DPS classes are always left by the wayside while they rush to kill all high DPS classes. Cloth casters that do high damage but drop in a few hits are always first to die. Smart PvPers know how to assist. When you have 3+ people attacking one glass cannot class that drops in no time, how many healers do you think will be needed to keep that class up.

The balance is off in this game, by a long shout. It does not seem balanced for what Mass PvP/RvR is supposed to be. They took too many DAoC design decisions and put them in this game, without compensating for it in one way or another.

All the stuff about what your characters do I don't care. Even if another BW is nuking you, who is to say that you won't have a healer or two in you group to keep you up? The problem with the cloth classes is that they are WAY too fragile in this game to the point where focus fire will completely wipe them off the face of the planet. You take down BW on your characters? Lol. What about when said BW has to fight against players that are more organized than the Beta players and they focus fire on all the Glass Cannons on their side?

BTW, the same goes for Sorcerer/ess on the Destruction side. It's the same deal.

I have a problem with only 1 ranged DPS caster on each side. There is no choice and it dictates how to play a game. A PvP game should be about choice (which DAoC gave plenty of, with its 40+ classes). There is little of that in WAR.

IRT me not playing Melee classes. I have played almost every archetype available in every game that I've played. I've played Cleric, Enchanter, Wizard, Necromancer, Magician, Monk, Beastlord, and Bard in EverQuest, for example. That is 4 Archetypes right there. I have played melee classes in other games also, as well as classes from outside of the "Nuker" archetype such as support and Summoner in Lineage II.

I like what I like, and that goes for every gamer out there. To tell someone to play something that they are obviously not comfortable playing, or what they don't enjoy is unreasonable. To tell me that I am single-minded because I enjoy and prefer to play ranged caster DPS classes is unreasonable and quite insulting. It shows that you really need to get a grip on reality, and sit back and question the logic of you statements - IMHO.

No more looking at a Dark Elf and wondering if it's an Shillen Saint of a Storm Screamer. Just for everything that is a BW/Sorcerer and mow it down. Seems like easy mode PvP when it comes to tactics IMO. It's not like you can't jump over melee classes when they try to block choke points, either...

PvP games shouldn't be so templated. It removes alot from the dynamics and even the reroll factor.

phanta17

Novice Member

9/11/08 1:23:05 PM#35

MMOs played: WoW, Tabula Rasa, LOTRO

It is now less than one week to release.

The least finished game I have seen, this close to release. What have they been working on for 3 years? Seemingly not much besides the rvr mechanics.

I spent a few hours in Altdorf, here's what I noticed. There were 2 items in the auction house. 2! There are vendors in the library that have lists of dozens of items all listed as 'pants' none of the items are pants. There are maybe 20 vendors in Altdorf that have nothing to sell.

Bright Wizard college, a fairly large multi storied instance inside of Altdorf. There are oh about 35-45 npcs inside of it. I was playing a Bright Wizard, there is one quest in the whole building. And nothing else to do there.

There are a couple level 20-ish hostiles inside of Altdorf on the streets, oh that's going to be fun if lowbies ever show up there. Based on the fact that I only saw about 15 players in Altdorf in 2 hours there, that may not be a concern.

There are only 4 (FOUR!) travel points in the whole game. By level 12 there is nothing to do in the the first zone. By level 20 nothing to do in the first 2 zones. At end game it seems there will be only one zone to play in and one activity, trying to take the other sides city. One dimensional gameplay. Great an entire MMO with the final result being an Alterac Valley or Warsong Gulch, with just a bunch of noise to distract you on the way to getting there.

There is something seriously wrong with the games communications engine, the lag at times is HORRIBLE, the actual locations of players and mobs is unpredictable. In an uncrowded area I can cast a long range spell on a mob and the next thing I know they are right on top of me, nothing in between. The decision to turn on collision between players only in RvR is the most flawed idea in the entire game. Collision detection requires more communications overhead and 'locking' type decisions. Turning it on when you have the most players together in an area just makes everything run worse at the most crucial times. And its not like the collision physics themselves are worth anything, there is no glancing collisions that might redirect your path, get anywhere near a friendly or hostile player and it's like running into a brick wall, Dead stop.

Talismans, I started getting gear with talisman slots about level 6-8, I spend a couple of hours looking for something to put in the slots. I looked for a talisman trainer, or a vendor, or on the AH, three strike outs. Asked in guild chat where to get them, I was told you can get them from quests, but some of them won't slot or work.  By level 12 I still had not seen a reward for them. Not much point having the slots in the gear for them at level 6-8 is there?

A week before release with things in this state. That's where they ran out of paint.

I played a Bright Wizard to level 11 3/4 nd RR 10. My impressions: Its like playing a wow fire mage with half the dps and half the hit points. It was not fun to play by level 8, I held out until I got fire cage rootiing spell to see if that helped survivability. At level 11 in trollhills rvr, MOST of the time fire cage would fail, I would dart into a group of destruction and try to root them, and nothing, nada, I'd just get killed.

In fact that's what Bright Wizards do best, they die. I must have died over 200 times, and that's not counting the deaths from putting myself in danger on purpose. The class is so fragile, that in rvr with like 20 v 20 facing off across a no mans land area, the only way to do anything was to dart in, cast 1 or 2 times and run back like a little girl.  if a melee class ran over to get me, they could 1-2 shot me 85% of the time and run back and survive.

THIS CLASS IS ABOUT 1 ON A FUN METER TO PLAY! NOT FUN. RUNNING FROM REZ POINT 30 TIMES AN HOUR IS NOT FUN. FUN = NO.

Since this is the only Order ranged caster, and that's the only class I like to play, well nothing in Warhammer for me or anybody else like me.

Well sounds pretty silly to me. The games in Open Beta state, it's marketed as a game about war and pvp. Considering the mobs of people that have been doing RvR in the game, I think most of the community on OB was there to enjoy pvping.

I can't believe you're complaining about the auction house items, when peoples accounts are gonna be wiped at the end of the week anyways who cares about auctions. Capital cities may be dead but most people playing know the action will be in their respective tiers.

The lag communication was noticable with mobs going unattackable. As of yesterday that has already been patched up and fixed, so nothing to argue about there.

I'm not sure why your fire cage would fail so much but I played a Magus and my root would work pretty often. Odds are they had a dot of some sort on em and it broke right after or they just resisted.

If you didn't like BW you should have tried something else. BW's are strong casters but they aren't going to one shot, my suggestion is build up your combustion and spam it while a buddy heals you that way you can do big crits. At level 8 my sorceress could use her primary nuke for 350+ crits. Add in your 1s nuke and a dot and you've racked up damage. Don't forget your morale ability either.

BW isn't the only ranged DPS, Shadow Warriors are nice ranged dps, problem is most people are trying to kill tanks/melee and get nowhere because no one is taking down the Zealots/Runepriests. This game requires people to think and that is probably why it won't sit well with alot of people who just like to gank and move on.

Collision detection is one of the unique features of the game, it exists for melee to wall up and watch the ranged peoples butts but unfortunately not many people have grasped onto that and yes at times it can be a pain to get stuck but it can also be enjoyable to wall up a healer and run them over.

Finally, you wouldn't have to run from your rez point if you stayed back and nuked. You have a 100ft nuke and it can be devastating while you're safe at a distance. If you can't find any fun in the game then I hope you find it elsewhere. Point is, it's Open Beta, it's a week for people to try it out and also a week to comb through last minute bugs with real stress on servers and multiple reports. Basically I'd rather they fix this minor stuff now than end up on opening day with a mess.

Kruniac2

Novice Member

9/11/08 1:34:18 PM#36

I have to agree a bit here. The best PvP/skill system hands down is/will always be a level-less system. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, Ultima Online still beats some modern games except for the graphics department every time when it comes to pure fun in an MMO.

This is why Darkfall will be good. Till then, I have WAR, because I LOVE Warhammer in general.

Shoal

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 1:35:58 PM#37

Learn to Play

WAR is not WoW

Play WAR like WoW == Fail

Yamota

Advanced Member

"I fight so you don't have to."

9/11/08 1:52:22 PM#38

This post shows one thing; Fanboys are far worse for a MMORPG than people who dont like it because they spend 99% of their post bashing the critics rather than arguing the actual points being brought up.

crunchyblack

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 1:57:49 PM#39

In regards to your fire cage failing...

You must not know about character stats and their benefits....

Also i play a bright wiz also, and i couldnt disagree with you more.  You cant play this game like wow buddy...you need a plan and tactics.

They give you buffs for a reason, use them when your getting chopped to bits.

I LOVE fire cage.  Sometimes ill suicide into an oncomming destruction group just to root them all. 

Usualy with fire cage and the armor boost buff i can escape any attack alive, unless i got like 5 people on me.

bright wizards are really fun in rvr, although pve is a bit tricky alone.

Bladin

Novice Member

9/11/08 2:18:12 PM#40

Heres the thing, WAR is not based on solo pvp.  Sure a bright wizard has trouble against melee characters, that's part of the penalty for having ranged high dmg spells.  While you say that "but it's easy to get focus'd on, blah blah"  You have to realize that your not a front line fighter.

here are mistakes people make.

1.  The fight moves forward, and the bw has to go into the front lines to hit the casters in the back(since squishy targets are the ones to ALWAYS attack) So they are more vulnerable to the people coming in to fight in melee.

2. Moving to the side.  I've seen many many times where the main group was fighting and the range dps move off to the side of the main group, perhaps on something like a rock or some higher ground.  Again your opening yourself up.

3. Assuming that the other team being organized and focus' you down when your team isn't organized and not protecting each other is a balance issue for the class. 

Every class has drawbacks.

Tanks, low damage, relies on having a healer keep them alive, while they SHOULD be trying to tank and protect their team rather then just running at the healer/caster and trying to dps them down while their team gets raped.

Melee dps, less damage then nukers, but they are slightly sturdier, which doesn't benefit them as much as you'd assume.  The reason for their benefit to surv, is because they are put into the fray and are more vulnerable to focus and damage then ranged.

Archers, similar to mages, but slightly lower dps in exchange for flexibility.

Casters, highest dps, have a range advantage, and take a lot of damage.

Healers, low damage, but +utility, and the ability to keep targets alive.

Ranged pet, different utility/playstyle but again lower damage for utility.

Here's the thing, Tanks and melee dps are supposed to be the "Front line guards" the healers and ranged dps are to back THEM UP.  YOU ARE NOT THE MAIN PLAYER IN THE SHOW. 

when you get into 30v30 or larger world pvp battles(Which i have been in this stage of beta just fyi so don't say it doesn't happen).  You realize where your place in battle is.

All this bright wizard failing is because they play like they are the main force of the side and simply do not go with the protection their team would offer them.

At the same time, their team isn't protecting them that well at times.

But you can't balance the game based around teams that aren't organized, because it would destroy the organized pvp scheme. 

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search