Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,650 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,272
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » New player checklist of WAR beta

12 posts found
  trevornor

Novice Member

No, Imperial commander, Nair does not come in wookie size. We do have an ewok 6 pack though

OP  9/10/08 11:26:22 AM#1

So you have beta access. You want to know if the game is good. Fair enough. This is my list of suggestions in order to properly evaluate WAR better given the limited content of the Beta phase right now.

1. Take your time and look at all the character possibilities. Settle on one you like, wether it is for looks or role within the game.

2. Advance the character and take a look into the game. Each starting area is unique, but all teach similar lessons level 1-2, including getting to fire artilery at level 2.

3. After about an hour, take a peek at the Tome of Knowladge and see how your experiences are recorded. Take time to smell the roses. Choose a title for yourself.

4. Try each of the experiences the game has to offer. PvE missions, Public Quests (Chapter 2 in the High Elf area alone has 3 of them) Senerioes (Each Tier has a different one, not chapters. I recommend you try it about level 8 for T1 and 18 for T2, though you do get missions for doing them here and there.) and open RvR. With open RvR, try getting into a group and work together. There is an open party mechanic that greatly simplifies this over many of the MMOs out there. Again, maybe wait til you get to level 8-11 for T1 to get a good, balenced experience. If you enjoy PvP, you can start earlier. If it is just part of the game to you, wait til then to have a decient experience.

5. Maybe after every 2 chapters or so, either go back and play around with the character creater and make something for the opposite side or take a flight master and explore the other pairings to get a good feel on how different/same the game is for replayability.

6. When you find a character that you are comfortable and/or enjoying, take him all the way to 20, using whichever method you found most enjoyable within the game.

7. Take the flight point to the main city. Be careful though, not all the streets are safe (cues evil sounding music)

Hopefully, trying these things will help you get a complete feel for the game during the beta cycle. If you do all of this, at least your opinion is based off of a complete experience. If you still do not like it, I wish you well in finding a game you do enjoy. For the record, I normally LOATHE PvP. But that being said, I do enjoy this game alot.

This has been a public service announcement. (edited to add more perspective as I play through the levels, heh)

Current Level 9 White Lion Rk 4 Renown

Does this brief guide help at all?

Yes
No
(login to vote)
  Fensus

Novice Member

9/10/08 1:01:03 PM#2

good tips, also, if you really like pve, try to complete all the public quest stages/chapters in order (fill the blue bar for each chapter). if you actually read the story and lore it all ties in fairly well.

*note: as tempting as it is, try not to jump right into scenarios at level 1 and stay there till lvl 10 or you will burn yourself out and miss alot of engaging experiences*

Hazmal

Novice Member

If you can read this post, it means admins didn''t rickroll me again.

9/10/08 1:15:26 PM#3
Originally posted by Fensus

good tips, also, if you really like pve, try to complete all the public quest stages/chapters in order (fill the blue bar for each chapter). if you actually read the story and lore it all ties in fairly well.

*note: as tempting as it is, try not to jump right into scenarios at level 1 and stay there till lvl 10 or you will burn yourself out and miss alot of engaging experiences*

Miss experiences and have a poor view on "balancing", I can't count how many posts have been by people who jumped in RvR at level 1 and complain when their 1 or 2 skills can't compete against and lvl 10 and their 12 skills.  I spent all my time in an scenario healing some guy that hopped in with 1 skill and everyone targeted him first because they knew it was a cake kill; but they wasted their time and lost...he turned out to be pretty good bait for our team.

------------------
Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

Cotillion99

Novice Member

9/10/08 1:19:50 PM#4

To Hazmal- good point on balancing.  I mean yes there is definitely an advantage to having more skills and better equipment.  Why wouldn't there be?  Especially in early levels when you don't even have a morale ability yet (you get it level 8.)  Can you still compete and contribute?  Definitely I started my last character doing scenarios at level 3 and continued on until i finished tier 1 lol. 

To the OP.  Only one thing wrong with what you said (unless i misunderstood)  There are multiple PQs per Chapter, not just per tier.  You just have to explore a little.

Saekora

Novice Member

9/10/08 1:42:26 PM#5

You can certainly contribute. I am usually one of the highest damage dealers in scenarios, despite being many levels lower than other characters.

Fensus

Novice Member

9/10/08 1:51:53 PM#6

yah, i was in no way saying that if you jump into scens at lvl 1 that you wont be 'successfull'. Just saying that you miss out on alot of experiences in the game. Also, since your stats get boosted to level 8 when you enter, it all comes down to 2 things: Skills and gear. since you get skills from leveling, thats easy to do in scens, but BETTER gear is found from doing PQ and pve.  You can just pvp and buy renown items, but they dont stack up to PQ loot from levels 1-10. And you'd be suprised how much of a difference a 15dps weapon makes over  a 12 dps weapon :P.

However, if you just want carefree leveling. just hop into a scen right away and run around like a chicken with your head cut off hitting an enemy now and then. You'll get some good xp either way.

Hazmal

Novice Member

If you can read this post, it means admins didn''t rickroll me again.

9/10/08 1:57:34 PM#7
Originally posted by Saekora

You can certainly contribute. I am usually one of the highest damage dealers in scenarios, despite being many levels lower than other characters.

Try to out-damage a Marauder when he has impale and you don't.  I'd look up the Order-class equivalent skill, but I'm too lazy and my point is made. 

Nobody ever said you couldn't contribute, and nobody ever said that a lower level is always worse than a higher.  We stated that a lvl 1 is going to have a much different view on RvR and Scenarios than a mid to higher level.

------------------
Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

Fensus

Novice Member

9/10/08 2:00:16 PM#8
Originally posted by Saekora

its also alot easier to contribute at level 1 with no skills or gear if you're a caster or ranged, since you can still deal damage and run away. If you're a melee however.... you WILL be targetted first over almost every other player in the scenario, and be dropped in 4 hits. Period.

Given of course everyone on the other team isnt level 1... in which case... let the good times (read: heads) roll

User Deleted
9/10/08 2:01:52 PM#9

My personal opinion is for a player to wait till say maybe Rank 6 before entering into a scenario that way they have a bit of armor and utility to add to the group. Running to rank 6 takes no time at all.

hyddrax

Novice Member

9/10/08 4:32:34 PM#10

Yeah totally agree.

I was determined to roll a Black Orc, but i liked WH so much i decided to try all DPS careers and now im really hooked upon Marauder wich im also gonna roll for release.

trevornor

Novice Member

No, Imperial commander, Nair does not come in wookie size. We do have an ewok 6 pack though

OP  9/11/08 12:54:42 AM#11

[quote] [i]Originally posted by Cotillion99[/i]   To the OP.  Only one thing wrong with what you said (unless i misunderstood)  There are multiple PQs per Chapter, not just per tier.  You just have to explore a little. [/quote]  

When I was talking Tiers, it was about the PvP senarios (Bad spelling, I know)

Thank you for responding to this

omegaman

Novice Member

9/11/08 1:18:26 PM#12

I'm playing 3 classes WH,WL,SW  I love all 3 but took the sw into scenarios too soon man i got rolled lol...Definately wait till rank 6 ish where your skills are better.