Trending Games | Pirate101 | ArcheAge | Wasteland 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,859,010 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,244,164
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Actually play the game before you dismiss it.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
34 posts found
  todeswulf

Novice Member

9/11/08 6:21:36 AM#21

You wouldn't be awesome if it was as simple as: Don't like it? Don't play! But we all know that it dosen't end there, rabid wowzorz (I know I know no one in this thread has ever played wow they all hate wow etec etc) fans just have to do the standard bash and smear job they did with LOTRO, AoC, TR and every other MMO that isn't WoW. 

Hell EQII as small an audiance as that game has, has this dedicated core group of four or five Trolls that scan the EQII forums 24/7 to smack down anything positive that is said about the game.

But in WARS case..I don't think it will be as effective.  The vast majorty who has tried it thinks it's awesome and will be there on day one and for a long time after.

markoraos

Novice Member

My dog ate your homework.

9/11/08 6:32:03 AM#22
Originally posted by UbahNecro

Originally posted by plescure
For the first few hours of playing WAR i was very dubious. First impressions are not good. the graphics are functional at best, the combat seems pretty poor and basic, and the animations are nothing to write home about. However ive been looking forward to this game for a long time and wasnt about to give up on it so easily.
Basically the more you play the game, the better it gets. You soon forget about the look of the game once you realise the vast variety of things to do in the game. After a few hours i felt myself being completely charmed and won over. The PQ's are a truimph. i could happily level up to 40 just doing PQ's and wouldnt feel cheated. The RvR is also very well done, scenarios and open RvR. once youve been in a pitched battle with over a hundred players you kind of realise why they had to keep the graphics and animation simple. Very little lag. Also if you havent done so yet, you need to go have a look around the capital cities. they make orgrimar look like a pile of puke!
As i say, first impressions of the game is its a bad WOW clone. However when you delve a little deeper you can see that this game has the potential to be the most accopmlished MMO out there.

I've played the game and have uninstalled it and cancelled my pre-order.

People need to stop telling people to play the game. The pre-order to get into Open Beta was %5 at GameStop and I doubt most people could not afford that seeing as how most MMORPG players are paying $15-$30+ a month to play games. People who are commenting their dislike for the game have actually played it and this fanboi cop-out of "play it before you trash it" is silly and failingly witty at best.

I finally got to play the OB and now I'm preordering two copies - one for me and one for my wife.

As for "play it before you trash it" this is so very very true. There are numerous "reviews" on this site which are quite obviously fake since the "reviewers" obviously haven't played the OB (totally ludicrous claims like saying there is no PvE or mixing up PQs and scenarios...) or even if they did they never made it past level 2.

If there is viral marketing at work here then it is working against WAR. There's simply too many hater "reviews" spewing obvious mistruths for it to be completely accidental. /tinfoil hat off.

The thing is WoW fanbois are afraid they'll loose their guildmates and finally be forced to join a new game where their "hard-won" e-peen in the form of purplaz won't mean a thing. Quite simply they're afraid they'll loose their time investment.

thedrakon

Novice Member

9/11/08 8:43:42 AM#23

I'm not an hater, nor an fanboys.

That's true that I didn't tried the game fully. I couldn't go past lvl 4 or soo, I was too bored, I wasn't hoocked at all.

As I said before, I will try it a bit more when I got time, but soo far, I won't buy the game, and I found it pretty boring, and all I saw disapointed me, BUT, I haven't tried 80% of it, only that, first lvl are hell, boring, stupid ...
If they need to work on something, it's their first few level, they need to make them more appealing.

Roin

Advanced Member

9/11/08 9:10:37 AM#24
Originally posted by nakuma

me too, ive tested this game for a good amount, and have realized ill be passing this by. frankly i find this silliness with people trying to convince other people to fork over $50 for the game. just like the other poster stated, alot of people who dont like it, such as myself played beta, ive tried every tier, and its boring at ever tier.

the game runs well, its polished pretty well, but in the end is a bland boring MMO as far as Im concerned, some people may feel differently, and guess what thats fine, but dont try to push a game down a person throat and belittle them at the same time for not wanting to. dont get mad at a person when they say they dont like it, different strokes for different folks. plain and simple. as far as Im concerned i just saved $50.

nakuma, pretty much said all that needed to be said.  Though I did get a laugh out of that one post.  The guy pretty much says if you don't like the game.  You should only post once about it.  So I guess all the die hard fans that can't look at the game objectively.  Should be able to post as much as they want?

If someone dislikes or even hates the game.  As long as they've played it.  They should be able to post as much bad comments as they want.

In War - Victory.
In Peace - Vigilance.
In Death - Sacrifice.

markoraos

Novice Member

9/11/08 9:55:13 AM#25
Originally posted by thedrakon

That's true that I didn't tried the game fully. I couldn't go past lvl 4 or soo, I was too bored, I wasn't hoocked at all.

As I said before, I will try it a bit more when I got time, but soo far, I won't buy the game, and I found it pretty boring, and all I saw disapointed me, BUT, I haven't tried 80% of it, only that, first lvl are hell, boring, stupid ...
If they need to work on something, it's their first few level, they need to make them more appealing.

I'll just say one thing and one thing only.

Compare WoW's first 4 levels to WAR's.

This might put you into some kind of perspective about what to expect later on.

Crezax

Novice Member

9/11/08 10:42:27 AM#26

I agree to 100% with OP. I got in WAR OB today, and my first impression was "bad WoW clone". But now I'm in love with this game.

[center][color=darkorange][b}Wow! Much gold. So amaze![/b][/color][/center]

aurick

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:12:03 PM#27
Originally posted by markoraos
Originally posted by thedrakon

I'll just say one thing and one thing only.

Compare WoW's first 4 levels to WAR's.

This might put you into some kind of perspective about what to expect later on.

Actually, they don't compare in any reliable manner.  Certainly not in any way that gives you a way to expect what you'll get later.

First, Warhammer uses a totally different leveling approach.   All abilities scale with your level.  No upgrades to buy.  Additionally, you get new stuff at almost every single level.  Warhammer gives you a base, then steadily expands upon that base.  It's not until you reach level 10 that you really see what your character is capable of.  At that point you have your core abilities, morale abilities, tactics, and mastery training.  Combat has a lot of depth by that point.  In WoW, you may get more abilities right off the bat, but at level 10 you're at a point that's about equivalent to WAR's level 10.  Except that all you have is talents for purposes of specializing your character and spicing up combat.

Second, levels 1-4 in WAR and WoW are both pretty much just PvE.  By level 10 in WoW, you're still just doing PvE.  By level 10 in WAR you're also doing scenarios and world PvP.  By level 60 in WoW you're still just doing PvE and maybe some battlegrounds.  By 30 in WAR you're doing PvE, more complicated scenarios, and more complicated world PvE with siege engines and so forth.

In short, by level 4 in WoW you're really seeing pretty much everything the game has to offer until end game.  By level 4 in WAR you've barely scratched the surface.

I do believe that WAR would benefit by giving you a few more abilities during that 1-4 stretch to make it more interesting.  But you simply can't say that playing to 4 in WAR is all you need to see what the game is going to be like. 

dadown

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:27:16 PM#28

I'd give the game a try if I could get a beta key...

I've checked several sites, but haven't found anywhere that has any left to give out. 

I rarely buy a game that I haven't been able to try out first as I have a limited gaming budget and there are too many over-hyped games to waste money on a disappointing game.

markoraos

Novice Member

9/11/08 4:02:59 PM#29
Originally posted by dadown

I'd give the game a try if I could get a beta key...

I've checked several sites, but haven't found anywhere that has any left to give out. 

I rarely buy a game that I haven't been able to try out first as I have a limited gaming budget and there are too many over-hyped games to waste money on a disappointing game.

If you have any second thoughts than just wait for a bit until you're sure this is a quality game.

I'm 100% certain  time will be very kind to WAR. There is no hype panic here. Quality will speak for itself and word-of-mouth rules in this age of dishonest advertising and viral marketeers.

thedrakon

Novice Member

9/11/08 4:30:35 PM#30

I don't want to compare WoW and WAR. Like someone said, their both different, WoW is way more pve oriented.

My point was, I couldn't go past the first few level, the game felt too bad for me. But it's like this in most game. But, those game always have something to hook me up, most of the time, the first 10 level you look everywhere and like the graphique. In war, I didn't like them, I mostly hate them, animation, everything was dull to me.

I'm currently a Lotro player, not a WoW. I've played AoC on full pvp server, I had a lot of fun. But, WAR is not what it should be from my point of view (For the first level)

BUT, like I said earlier, and I keep saying, I will need to give it another try, maybe at release, maybe thie weekend before it release. But, for now, it's ain't a game a would spend a buck on it.

Bilbo1968

Novice Member

That which doesnt kill us makes us stronger

9/11/08 5:45:28 PM#31

well i agree that people should try it before they buy and as has already been said its not for everyone. My impression is that I love the way RvR is incorporated from level 1. I do agree that the graphics are not as good as they could be but the upside of this is that the game runs smoothly in large scale battles particularly in RvR.

The First few levels do introduce you quite nicely to the game and the IP of warhammer - I didnt know that much about the warhammer universe til I played this. I like the different characters you can be and I like the fact that the healers are not just healers which I find boring in WoW. I am only level 8 in open beta but I know there is gonna be even more stuff to do with combat and tactics from level 10 - I have been using the open beta to explore different types of character so that I can decide what I want to use for the head start.

The game does get better the more I play it - I love it now - I have given up playing WoW now although i still play AoC too. I can only afford 2 subs to MMOs at any one time and I gave up tabula rasa and WoW for this and AoC.

So in short I would say yes give it a go and in my opinion the game grows on you and it takes up a lot of my time and I am not really trying to level up much as this is only the open beta and the characters are getting wiped before the head start.

So look forward to playing WAR with you if your sticking with it and if not I hope you find a game you like - there is room for many different games out there and im sure you will find one you love.

And keep the opinions coming but keep in mind that others out there might not share you opinions but all opinions are valid and indeed very useful in providing a complete picture of what the game is really like - the truth is usually somewhere between the good and the bad points of view.

User Deleted
9/12/08 4:27:34 AM#32

I have played wow beta, and now war beta..

i have also played wow all the way until now, and the war beta is directly epic compared to wows..

dont forget that when wow released, there whasnt even a single battleground,, wsg came about a half year after release, and AB & AV came something like a year after release.

but in war you can lvl up through these battlegrounds, or outher places you can kill players.. and there is even player looting.

and i dont have to do any pve if i dont want to!

So this is definintly a WOW killer, hands down..

this game is 100% not a wow clone..

the graphics looks like LOTRO, the UI & Combat systems looks like Vanguard. and the bg systems did WOW infact steal from FPS games..

and the consept arts (how stuff looks) did WOW steal from the Warhammer universe.

cjdrinic

Novice Member

9/12/08 7:46:52 AM#33

I'm just not sure what to think of this game.

I like it and hate it at same time. 

I do not care about graphics they are fine.  It's the gameplay, I agree seems slow (yes I know this is beta, yet it is open beta final stages)  It feels clunky to me.  The longer I play it does get a little better, but not as smooth as I would have expected.

RVR is ok it is a lot like DAOC rvr except no massive cc all the time which is nice. I got boxed in a lot and can't move of couse due to collision.  Targetting was little hard have to use tab, and when wanting a certian target makes it hard when tabbing though a mass of people.

Senerios I found that hard to figure out grp mates of the grp you get thrown into.  Unless I am doing something wrong there.  And everyone seemed to run off everywhere. Course that could been just bad experiance with people I was with.

PQ are a neat idea and somewhat fun.  As far as I have gotten most are pretty simular though.  Kill so many of this npc, then do it again, then time for the boss.  Few that I did were a little different.

I enjoyed DAOC more starting out than this game, it just wasn't advertised and lost it's player base.  Just to compare to a game simular to this one.

jeddak

Advanced Member

This too shall pass...

9/12/08 7:48:37 AM#34

If the premise of a game interests you then by all means jump in cold and enjoy it without any preconceptions learned from other players.

UO,EQ (best mmo's). Been in lotro for almost 7 years mostly in pvp as a lovable spider: Mummy

2 Pages « 1 2 Search