Trending Games | Trove | Elder Scrolls Online | Guild Wars 2 | Shroud of the Avatar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,766,892 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,186,229
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Actually play the game before you dismiss it.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
34 posts found
  plescure

Apprentice Member

Lvl 39 in the MMO called "Life"

OP  9/10/08 5:46:55 AM#1

For the first few hours of playing WAR i was very dubious. First impressions are not good. the graphics are functional at best, the combat seems pretty poor and basic, and the animations are nothing to write home about. However ive been looking forward to this game for a long time and wasnt about to give up on it so easily.

Basically the more you play the game, the better it gets. You soon forget about the look of the game once you realise the vast variety of things to do in the game. After a few hours i felt myself being completely charmed and won over. The PQ's are a truimph. i could happily level up to 40 just doing PQ's and wouldnt feel cheated. The RvR is also very well done, scenarios and open RvR. once youve been in a pitched battle with over a hundred players you kind of realise why they had to keep the graphics and animation simple. Very little lag. Also if you havent done so yet, you need to go have a look around the capital cities. they make orgrimar look like a pile of puke!

As i say, first impressions of the game is its a bad WOW clone. However when you delve a little deeper you can see that this game has the potential to be the most accopmlished MMO out there.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/10/08 9:48:41 AM#2

Originally posted by plescure
For the first few hours of playing WAR i was very dubious. First impressions are not good. the graphics are functional at best, the combat seems pretty poor and basic, and the animations are nothing to write home about. However ive been looking forward to this game for a long time and wasnt about to give up on it so easily.
Basically the more you play the game, the better it gets. You soon forget about the look of the game once you realise the vast variety of things to do in the game. After a few hours i felt myself being completely charmed and won over. The PQ's are a truimph. i could happily level up to 40 just doing PQ's and wouldnt feel cheated. The RvR is also very well done, scenarios and open RvR. once youve been in a pitched battle with over a hundred players you kind of realise why they had to keep the graphics and animation simple. Very little lag. Also if you havent done so yet, you need to go have a look around the capital cities. they make orgrimar look like a pile of puke!
As i say, first impressions of the game is its a bad WOW clone. However when you delve a little deeper you can see that this game has the potential to be the most accopmlished MMO out there.

I've played the game and have uninstalled it and cancelled my pre-order.

People need to stop telling people to play the game. The pre-order to get into Open Beta was %5 at GameStop and I doubt most people could not afford that seeing as how most MMORPG players are paying $15-$30+ a month to play games. People who are commenting their dislike for the game have actually played it and this fanboi cop-out of "play it before you trash it" is silly and failingly witty at best.

elvenangel

Novice Member

Why So Serious?

9/10/08 9:57:16 AM#3
Originally posted by UbahNecro

People need to stop telling people to play the game. The pre-order to get into Open Beta was %5 at GameStop and I doubt most people could not afford that seeing as how most MMORPG players are paying $15-$30+ a month to play games. People who are commenting their dislike for the game have actually played it and this fanboi cop-out of "play it before you trash it" is silly and failingly witty at best.

.....I played WAR and...I love my pre order ... to each their own.  He's right though you should actually PLAY the game and TONS of beta keys were given out for FREE int he past week and the 'down payment' is refundable ..of course smart people would of used the itnernet so they wouldn't lose any money at all if they didn't like it.    Its not a cop out to tell people to STFU if they haven't played the game no one cares what those people have to say ... people want to hear creditable accounts of being in game for more than 5 to 10 mins.    Going ew the graphics suck *cancel* is a cop out.  Going the game rules it plays like TF2 is a cop out.   Door swings both ways bud.

WAR's a great game ... not everyone will like it...but thats the breaks isn't it?  Everyone has a different idea of what they find fun and entertaining...Variety in life is key.  

Its kinda retarded to trash a game if you've never played it.  IT'd be like me trashing Darkfall despite its not even in a playable beta yet.  Honestly ... get a life he has a right to tell people to try it before trashing it.  If a person isn't interested enough in the game to find a way to try it out for free then they should keep their trap shut with their opinions because no one cares.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

Mataribot

Novice Member

9/10/08 10:04:07 AM#4

I will not play another game in "hopes" of an end game. If the game is not interesting from the start, I won't waste my time playing it.

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/10/08 10:12:15 AM#5

Originally posted by elvenangel

Originally posted by UbahNecro

.....I played WAR and...I love my pre order ... to each their own.  He's right though you should actually PLAY the game and TONS of beta keys were given out for FREE int he past week and the 'down payment' is refundable ..of course smart people would of used the itnernet so they wouldn't lose any money at all if they didn't like it.    Its not a cop out to tell people to STFU if they haven't played the game no one cares what those people have to say ... people want to hear creditable accounts of being in game for more than 5 to 10 mins.    Going ew the graphics suck *cancel* is a cop out.  Going the game rules it plays like TF2 is a cop out.   Door swings both ways bud.
WAR's a great game ... not everyone will like it...but thats the breaks isn't it?  Everyone has a different idea of what they find fun and entertaining...Variety in life is key.  
Its kinda retarded to trash a game if you've never played it.  IT'd be like me trashing Darkfall despite its not even in a playable beta yet.  Honestly ... get a life he has a right to tell people to try it before trashing it.  If a person isn't interested enough in the game to find a way to try it out for free then they should keep their trap shut with their opinions because no one cares.

I don't care about the $5 for the pre-order box. I will not buy the game so I have lost pretty much nothing. I didn't buy it anyways, I just handed it to my roomate when we were in Best Buy and said "get this" :P

Tons of Beta Keys were handed out, so that is my point.

People are playing the game. They are asking for keys and getting them, downloading the game, and playing it. When someone says they don't like the game, it is not because they haven't played it.

It is not hard to level up in this game, and many things take absolutely no effort. Alot of people are tired of easy-mode games with template Quest systems and shoddy Combat and PvP systems tacked on top of them.

This game is worse than DAoC, just newer and more widely advertised.

But with the amount of crappy MMOs out there right now, I can't blame people for taking a bit off every cake coming out of the bakery.

With WAR's system requirements you can't pull the same crap that Age of Conan fanbois pull and say "play it before you trash it" because pretty much anyone who has a computer that can run WoW with 30+ FPS can play this game on balanced with no lag whatsoever.

That is the best thing about the game, the system requirements, to me. It makes my rather old machine feel like a mainframe playing an MMO when I load WAR. Lol.

nakuma

Novice Member

"then again I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion" -Dennis Miller

9/10/08 10:22:51 AM#6

me too, ive tested this game for a good amount, and have realized ill be passing this by. frankly i find this silliness with people trying to convince other people to fork over $50 for the game. just like the other poster stated, alot of people who dont like it, such as myself played beta, ive tried every tier, and its boring at ever tier.

the game runs well, its polished pretty well, but in the end is a bland boring MMO as far as Im concerned, some people may feel differently, and guess what thats fine, but dont try to push a game down a person throat and belittle them at the same time for not wanting to. dont get mad at a person when they say they dont like it, different strokes for different folks. plain and simple. as far as Im concerned i just saved $50.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

Major69er1

Novice Member

9/10/08 11:02:22 AM#7

This game really sux at best the combat is slooooo!!! and the grafix and animations arn't much better.I have also cancelled my pre-order.

Hazmal

Novice Member

If you can read this post, it means admins didn''t rickroll me again.

9/10/08 11:16:14 AM#8
Originally posted by Major69er1

This game really sux at best the combat is slooooo!!! and the grafix and animations arn't much better.I have also cancelled my pre-order.

If someone with the name major69er1 won't be playing...it makes me feel better about the community already.

------------------
Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

HensenLiros

Novice Member

"Tolerance is a sign of weakness."

9/10/08 11:21:40 AM#9

My ignorant friends, it's not a matter of playing the game just because of some hope for a nice end-game. Just do exactly that and you'll can really say that you played the game:

1- Try all 3 tier 1 scenarios and do some PQ's

2- When you get some nice equipment and around level 11~12, go to tier 2 and head to the area keep.

There you go, on "peak" hours you'll find 30 vs 30 combats with siege weapons, strategies involving player colision and things like that.

If you don't really like that, you still can go back to WoW and it's character emotions, SUPER FUN PvE and garbage pvp.

Ultima Online 98~04
Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
Final Fantasy XI 04~06
Guild Wars 05~08
World of Warcraft 04~05
Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

Keeper2000

Novice Member

9/10/08 11:24:36 AM#10
Originally posted by Mataribot

I will not play another game in "hopes" of an end game. If the game is not interesting from the start, I won't waste my time playing it.

I totally understand you.  The only good thing I can tell you is that the end game happens at level 1 (you start RvRing at lvl one and mainly that's the end game at 40 too, with more compexity I guess but you dont have to lvl to cap to start doing what you will do at end game).

So if you play, lets say, up to lvl 20+ and you didnt like it, you may know the game is not for you.  I mean you dont need to wait until you hit the lvl cap.

Which is good news!

Keeper2000

Novice Member

9/10/08 11:26:52 AM#11
Originally posted by Major69er1

Isnt great that Mythic let you know before buying it that you dont like the game?!  Long time a a company didnt do this in the MMO industry.

/bow to Mythic for the way they managed all that.

I totally disagree with you on the combat, graphics and such.  But these are all opinions and it's understandable you and other will evaluate the game like that.

I ma very happy you could discover this game isnt for you.  Wish you much fun in any game you play!

onlinenow225

Novice Member

9/10/08 11:33:06 AM#12

I posted a thread about this earlier.

Its a bit different its mostly how people view games and bash them because of their biasts, and how they have set their expectations to this game.  As well as every other game they play.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/200667

Locklain

Novice Member

9/10/08 11:36:52 AM#13

Its quite simple actually. . .you don't like the game DON'T PLAY IT.  One post about your distaste for the game is good enough.   A simple post of dissatisfaction would look something like this:

"I tried WAR out over the weekend. . .the game wasn't for me.  I didn't care for the animations or the graphics.  They seems a little dated for the age."

Unnecessary post would be along the lines of this:

"I played WAR this weekend graphics are shit, animations are shit, and everything is exactly like WoW"

Notice the difference there?  The moral of the story here. . .form opinions not force it down everyone's throat.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
_______
|___|
\_______/
= ||||||
=
|X| \*........*/ |X|
|X|_________|X|
You wouldn't understand

Talin

Novice Member

You only live once... make it count!

9/10/08 11:43:15 AM#14

Define end-game? Is that the thing you do when you've intentionally levelled as quickly as possible until the established structure system cannot support you levelling any further?

The good news is that the RvR element never ends (although you can "cap" that too). Once you are at level 40 you can dig into capturing cities, dominating other forces in war scenarios, etc. That sure beats spending 8 hours to go through a tedious dungeon with a bunch of people you barely like, fighting for items you probably won't get. Although, they have a few of those dungeons in WAR as well, catering to a little of what everyone wants! :)

thedrakon

Novice Member

9/10/08 12:00:12 PM#15

I've played 2 hour or soo. Didn't do much. Got some lag and bad performance (quadcore, with a GTX8800) But my HD might be too full. Need to look at this.

That's true, Graph are terrible. Gameplay seem weird a first

I haven't done much, but I might still try to find a bit more after reading those post. It's true, the game is PRETTY boring at first, but, a lot of other mmo are hard to get in at first (near no skill, nothing much to do but grind quest and mobs)

But, so far, WAR didn't hold my attention, I'm playing lotro, and I probably keep playing it. (better graph, nice community)

sebwhite

Apprentice Member

9/10/08 5:02:48 PM#16

It's funny to me, notice the replies from most of the people defending the game? STFU, go back to WOW &*^^&%!! I have even been called a man when I mentioned I was giving a females point of view. lol! I like logging on here and seeing what people have to say about a game before I go spend money on it. If someone doesn't like a game, I will still buy it if I want it. so why bash people who want to tell others what they think? There are some people who defend Warhammer and say why they like it in a mature way, and to be honest it made me rethink a few things and I did give the game another go. (It's not for me)  But for the most part, the posts are from immature rude people. To me, this is the quality of players that will be in the game.  

aurick

Novice Member

9/11/08 1:13:24 AM#17

Two big things I've learned about WAR:

1. Leveling is different from WoW and many other games.  Classes take longer to mature, but that maturation takes place at a steady pace without redundancy.  Where WoW quickly has you training more powerful versions of the same old spells, WAR scales all of your abilities every level automatically.  And rather than only getting new stuff every other level, you get new stuff every single level (with exceptions only happening once or twice during your career).  As an example, I tried the Swordmaster in WAR.  Now I traditionally hate tanks, so I wasn't expecting much and the first few levels were exactly that:  not much.  But as that steady advancement continued, I quickly found myself loving the class.  By level 7 I'd become badly torn between starting the live game with a Warrior Priest or a Swordmaster.  Me, the tank hater!  But yeah, the first few levels were nothing to write home about.  On the other hand, the measured introduction of new abilities made it easier to really master how each ability relates to everything else in order to make the class really work.
  2. The more you play, the more depth you discover.  Mastery Training, Morale, Tactics.  These all let you customize your character dramatically while also making combat more complex.  Tier 2 content is more complex than Tier 1, and Tier 3 is more complex yet.  Especially in the PvP stuff.  Your guild gets access to more and more perks, including elements that make combat still more strategic and complex.  The capital cities open up through your faction's actions.  And gets closed up again through the actions of the other guys. 

Again, if you compare this to WoW, there is a stark contrast.  In WoW, levels 1-65 are really only preparation for the "real" game.  But that game is nothing more than time sinks.  There's the endless raid repetition to grind out armor sets for your guild so that you can finally move on to a new raid and start grinding all over again.  Or the endless reputation grinds.  Or if you're really adventurous, you can grind out battlegrounds or arenas.  Neither of which have any effect on the game world; they simply give you cooler looking gear if you do them enough.  And there we have another flaw:  WoW is not about skill.  It's all about the gear.  The most skilled player at level 60 can get creamed by a level 63 neophyte simply because that guy has better gear.

I don't believe that WAR is going to make everyone happy.  However, I do see a game that is every bit as polished as WoW was at launch.  And at launch it actually has a greater variety of meaningful content than WoW does, with more opportunities to actually affect the world.  If it's this good already, I can only imagine what's in store once it's had the time on the market that WoW has had.  And somehow, I don't think it's going to take them two years between expansions, either.

plescure

Apprentice Member

OP  9/11/08 6:08:23 AM#18

If you actually read my post properly you'll see that ive not even mentioned "end game" All im saying is that give the game say 10 hours or so before you decided on wether to play or not. If you've played the game for a reasonable amount of time and still dont like it then fair enough, i'm quite happy to listen to what you have to say and i can respect your opinion. However, if you play the game for a couple of hours and then immediatly come on here making posts about how crap WAR is then quite frankly STFU. How the hell can you give an informed opinion/review on a game when you have only experienced a tiny portion of what the game has to offer.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

plescure

Apprentice Member

OP  9/11/08 6:09:41 AM#19

sorry shouyld have mentioned my reply was in respoce to this post. doh!

sansdixon

Novice Member

9/11/08 6:20:25 AM#20

I am in love with this game. I loved daoc and have played wow for a coupl eyears now and wow got to where it was allmost like a 2nd job with all of the dailys and all. I hear some people talk about the lack of end game in warhammer, well that is because this game like daoc is pvp endgame mainly. I recall when they tryed to add more pve content to daoc with the toa expansion the daoc community for the most part got really mad. This game will have pve content like daoc did but in the end it will come down to the fact that this game is rvr aka pvp based.

sansdixon Xfire Miniprofile
2 Pages 1 2 » Search