Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,730 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,535
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Physics/Pathing/Combat Not up to par yet for me.

8 posts found
  blbeta

Hard Core Member

OP  9/09/08 6:02:13 PM#1

I am not sure if that is what you would call it, but let me tell you what I mean.

When fighting mobs many times are not where they are suppose to be.  I go in for melee and it says it is too far, or not in cone. 

Also, all too often the mob locks up and is unattackable for 10-60secs before it resets.

And then there is the clipping during fighting, which is probably an effect cause by the problems mentioned above.  My pet is standing in the middle of the monster, or  the monster is on top of me.

Examples of combat feeling right most of the time:

City of Heroes, WoW, Planet Side.... these all, more or less, have it going fine.

The good news is these are just hopefully bugs and not the way the game will end up.  But, until the fighting feels better there is no way I will buy the game.  I like the way the game is setup for conflict and everything, but the issues above are huge when you are talking about PvP.

Now, I am assuming it is this way for everyone.  I have a decent rig and performance doesn't change whether I have graphics set to fastest or highest.  I will try some other servers and see if it is still the same, but I believe it is as I have played on two thus far.

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

9/09/08 11:06:06 PM#2

Yes it is happening quite a lot but it is perfectly manageable and we know it is being looked at as a priority.

WOW has some terrible bugs like this eg Halaa basin elementals.

Overpower

Novice Member

5000% Crit

9/10/08 1:54:03 AM#3

yeah, same here...all just common bugs. I haven't noticed this in RvR and PvP yet though. Hitting other players worked perfectly fine for me.

To Crybabies: Uhm...if a game pisses you off, don't play it - duh.
To Crybabies - Part 2: If you want a game to suit all your needs, start off by going to college to become a Game Designer.
Emo User Award: busdriver, for his love of Britney Spears - The Prize - Winning Posts

elvenangel

Novice Member

Why So Serious?

9/10/08 10:13:38 AM#4

The unattackable bug is a server side bug that they've been working on...infact its about 2x better than it was 2 weeks ago.  Hopefully the next patch that they're testing right now will see the end to it.  Its where the client and the server aren't sync'd up just right. 

I've never had the cone problem or the clipping problem maybe thats the server your on is overflowing ... OB tends to glorify the strange things that can happen when the servers & clients aren't fully optimized.

You say "examples" of combat but ....those games are all released..and I can tell you right now WoW's combat in OB & release had plenty of clipping and pathing issues they werent' game breaking but they were incredibly annoying. 

Not buying a game over some simple bugs ... is your choice but you make it sound like its a major issue which it isn't.  The over all combat is just fine lag is going to happen in OB, HS, and Launch with EVERYOEN in the same couple of areas.  Its the nature of the MMO beast.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

Daffid011

Old School

9/10/08 10:49:04 AM#5

It is an annoying bug, but easy enough to get around.  It is a problem that should not exists this close to launch, but it doesn't make the game unplayable for the majority of the time.

The only time it has been a show stopper was during PQ's when you can't attack the bosses or sub bosses.  Also when capturing enemy towers and the Captain runs off into outer space was a game breaker as far as I'm concerned.  We managed to figure it out after about half an hour using a chain sequence of taunts between all the ironbreakers in the group. 

Bladin

Novice Member

9/10/08 3:03:24 PM#6

I'd just like to say, that even at this point in time, WoW has a ton a of issues of mobs getting "stuck" and evade bugging. how those mobs can link to the ones your fighting and cause them to reset.

How you can get de-sync'd and see mobs standing still/alive even when they are moving fighting and dieing.

blbeta

Hard Core Member

OP  9/10/08 5:20:40 PM#7

Maybe the combat just doesn't feel right then for me I guess; something seems off.  I will say I played melee character for a few hours last night and it was not near as noticeable as it had been with my Range+Pet character.  It certainly seemed more polished.

Now when I speak of  "combat feel" all of the following goes into it:
PC Movement/Reaction
MOB Movement/Reaction
Pet Movement/Reaction
Speed
Combat Fluidity
Animations, Effects and the sounds that accompany them
etc...

But I am beginning to think it is just how the combat plays out that isn't grabbing me.  In City of Heroes the combat is very fast and very quick.  It just feels better there.  WoW is probably in between the two leaning more towards CoH feel.  Now I have played CoH a couple times and it can't keep my attention, but those are not for combat reasons.  That is what bugs me about Warhammer, I love the concept and the RvR aspect but the combat does not feel right.

I would have to say the combat feels more in line with EQ2, & Lineage II.  Which is disheartening, because IMO their combat is not fun.  I am not saying it is wrong, because let's face it plenty of people play those games and others like it.

That is why it is becoming a debacle for me.  I love the whole concept for the game and want to love it.  Ever since the first Alterac Valley was released I have wanted a whole MMO similar to it and that is what I thought Warhammer was going to be like. Which it is, but the "combat feel" needs to be there too or it is no good for me and others who also notice. Alas, if I can't enjoy the combat then that pretty much defeats the purpose of the game.

Now if you don't notice the difference between the "combat feel" for:
Warhammer, EQ II, Lineage II, Vanguard and the like
vs.
City of Heroes, Asheron's Call, World of Warcraft among others

Then you have no clue as to what is bothering me thus far with Warhammer.

I will continue to play some other classes and see if I can get the right "combat feel" for the rest of Open Beta.  I hope I find it, but at this point realistically I imagine it is just that.

lifer86

Novice Member

9/10/08 6:17:23 PM#8

It gets really annoying when the mob isnt actually where I see him. My BW has a root abaility so naturally I do it and run away, but according to my client the mob chases right behind me with the root ability showing on him. The mob finally appears where he actually is after about 5 seconds. This only happens in PvE though, not RvR.

lifer86 Xfire Miniprofile