Trending Games | Landmark | Villagers and Heroes | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,182 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,950
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

12 posts found
  sirslayerr

Novice Member

Killer 93%
Explorer 60%
Achiever 26%
Socializer 26%

OP  9/09/08 11:19:35 AM#1

Currently, I've been playing a DoK. I've fallen into love with this class, since it has the mechanic to heal without using action points, but the choice is also given. Also, when a melee character runs up to me to 1 on 1, I can stand toe to toe and see who wins. Usually it's me, since I play defensive in a 1 on 1, making sure both heals are always going, and use all my other healing abilities as I can. Witch hunters are the one class that has given me the most trouble, the rest usually only if I happen to run into someone higher level and playing well. Right now I'm up to 11, so a lot can change, but the class seems perfect for my play style. I have tried some others, but archmage and shaman seem like more pure healer classes which I don't prefer right now. Warrior priest seems to share the same mechanics as a DoK, but I already favor the DoK (side note, DoK vs WP = very long fight).

I was wondering, how do the Zealot and Rune Priest compare to the effectiveness of a DoK? How much time is needed before a battle to get set up? With the DoK, it's merely heal during battles, and use skills on a target. There's no buffs you have to have keep casting on people. With the DoK, I'm usually the top of Healing Done, and mid range on Damage Done. Do these other two stack up as well?

My main reason for asking, is I want to find my ideal class since I love being able to heal myself and others, but my true passion is to do noticable damage. Being a DoK and having a SM or IB run up to you, kind of leaves you wishing for help, since if they are playing with shields, you can't even dent them and it's just a slow death until you get away or help arrives.

Avathos

Apprentice Member

9/09/08 12:01:11 PM#2

Of course DoK are the flavor of the month. Dont be surprised that they get nerfed.. They OP at the moment.

I am glad you are enjoying playing destro...

Locklain

Novice Member

9/09/08 12:03:41 PM#3
Originally posted by Avathos

Of course DoK are the flavor of the month. Dont be surprised that they get nerfed.. They OP at the moment.

I am glad you are enjoying playing destro...

No, Bright Wizards are and will be the FoTM come release.  Most people that roll a DoK or WP become disgusted in RvR when they realize how much work they are to play.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
_______
|___|
\_______/
= ||||||
=
|X| \*........*/ |X|
|X|_________|X|
You wouldn't understand

Hazmal

Novice Member

If you can read this post, it means admins didn''t rickroll me again.

9/09/08 12:31:36 PM#4

The DoK isn't over-powered imo, about on the same level as the WP.  Neither of which are OP.  People are still under the WoW conception of every class being able to fair well against every other class.  Just because that class can kill you doesn't mean it is OP'd, it means you have to choose your opponents in RvR carefully, and *gasp* think before you rush headlong into someone.

I agree with Locklain on this one, the melee healers are a very busy class; it takes some getting used to if you plan on actually healing your group.  Kind of hard to get out of that mindset since you start without a DE tank and you are usually the one tanking in the DE starting RvR zone and sceanario; unless someone makes a trip of course.

------------------
Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

Keeper2000

Novice Member

9/09/08 12:39:03 PM#5
Originally posted by sirslayerr

I was wondering, how do the Zealot and Rune Priest compare to the effectiveness of a DoK? How much time is needed before a battle to get set up? With the DoK, it's merely heal during battles, and use skills on a target. There's no buffs you have to have keep casting on people. With the DoK, I'm usually the top of Healing Done, and mid range on Damage Done. Do these other two stack up as well?

My main reason for asking, is I want to find my ideal class since I love being able to heal myself and others, but my true passion is to do noticable damage. Being a DoK and having a SM or IB run up to you, kind of leaves you wishing for help, since if they are playing with shields, you can't even dent them and it's just a slow death until you get away or help arrives.

My opinion based on trying the 3 healing classes on destro side is:

DoK is what you described.

Zealot is much better healer and support but the survavility is much lower (you depend in your group to survive).  The damage is a joke when you compare it to the other classes but you can do damage.

Shamans do much more damage than zealots, all ranged.  The healing and support is between a Zealot and a DoK.

Zealot is the class more near to a pure healer I found.

sirslayerr

Novice Member

Killer 93%
Explorer 60%
Achiever 26%
Socializer 26%

OP  9/09/08 1:10:40 PM#6

I love not being a squishie. I can't really explain how nice it is to run into a fight in progress, toss 2 heals on the person being hit, then hit a target with rend soul. Within 4-6 seconds, I up someone's life by 500-700hp, as long as I have 110 soul essence to burn.

Iselin

The Listener

9/09/08 1:35:51 PM#7

I've been playing the squishiest of all the healers, the Archmage, and I've been pleasantly surprised with the survivability even when I get jumped from behind. With the detaunt, several HOTs and nice instant cast heals (instant if you span enough DOTs) it's usually a mistake for a meleer to target me.

Spam enough heals to those around you (whether they're in your group or not) and they get to know who you are and more importantly, where you are = instant friends and protectors who will gang-up on anyone foolish enough to come after you. 

Philss

Novice Member

9/09/08 1:45:11 PM#8

Imo DoK are just fine . the thing that need to be toned down is tank DPS .  If they dont nerf tank until release i can smell that like 40% of the dest pop will be tank only .

Philss2008 Xfire Miniprofile
  syxx

Apprentice Member

9/10/08 11:26:25 AM#9

I rolled a 20 zealot the 1st PW...

Zealot get mark's that are stat or resist buffs that can be used on enemies as instant damage, with like a 60 sec cd on the damage aspect of it. Pretty much its buff your group then heal away as a Zealot with using dots on enemies. They got alot of healing power and most of their spells are heals with all different varieties.

Normally a lvl 15 Zealot with decent willpower and good protection can do about 10-12k damage and 50-60k healing each scenario. But since they nerfed gear since the 1st PW you might be looking at 40k-50k healing or slightly less damage. I liked the class alot and can usually heal through 2-3 people hitting me but they dont do enough damage to kill even 1 guy usually in rvr (unless thats been changed).

achesoma

Novice Member

9/10/08 2:22:45 PM#10

As of right now(at least levels 10 and below), it seems like healers and tanks really dominate in this game and dps classes seem not really needed.  So far in my experience in RvR the side with more tanks and healers wins every time.  When playing my order characters in scenarios I won only 1 out of about 40 and the losses weren't even close.  Seems like destro always  has healthy supply of black orcs, shamans, and zealots while order is mostly BW and engineers.  And I never see heals in RvR on order side while I get them like crazy on destro side.  Again, all my experience is at low levels so might be different at higher levels as people get more used to their class. 

Kentt

Novice Member

9/10/08 3:26:25 PM#11

Runepriest is the  healbot for Order and the Zealot is the healbot for Destro. The Archmage and the Shaman are both ranged DPS healers. DoK and WPs are the meele DPS healers.

Runepriest uses "Runes" that are buffs, that he can cast on other people which will allow them to use special abilities that cost nothing at all. (Direct damage, DoTs)

Also there are Runes that he can cast on the ground and when people are near it they get either healed for a small amount, get their AP restored each time they cast, etc..

I get about 30k healed in Scenarios on my Runepriest which I consider solid. They get low on AP very fast though.

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of ass. Because I kicked so much of it earlier.

Raykak

Novice Member

9/10/08 3:59:35 PM#12

I deal 75 damage with a rank 8 spell on a Magus while a Witch Hunter at rank one deals 100 a hit. Stop crying.

lordray Xfire Miniprofile