Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Elder Scrolls Online | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,750 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,261
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

7 posts found
  Himizuu

Novice Member

OP  9/08/08 5:18:14 PM#1

Ok this is confusing me, WAR should run on my system easily but even at the lowest settings I get many.. "Stutters" and hickups video wise, also other players don't run smoothly on my screen they seem to skip along. Is it supposed to be like this?

For the record, My system is:
Windows Vista
T8300 Dual Core Processor clock at 2.4gGHz
4 gigs of RAM
GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB of dedicated VRAM, plus whatever else isn't in use with my RAM.

Once again it should not be this poor on the lowest settings, I can run EQ2 at Very High for petes sake!
Anyone know why this might be happening to me? I really don't want this to be a waste of $50 for me..

DrChicken

Novice Member

John Romero is about to make you his bitch... Suck it down.

9/08/08 5:30:28 PM#2
Originally posted by Himizuu

Ok this is confusing me, WAR should run on my system easily but even at the lowest settings I get many.. "Stutters" and hickups video wise, also other players don't run smoothly on my screen they seem to skip along. Is it supposed to be like this?

Windows Vista
4 gigs of RAM
GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB of dedicated VRAM, plus whatever else isn't in use with my RAM.

Once again it should not be this poor on the lowest settings, I can run EQ2 at Very High for petes sake!
Anyone know why this might be happening to me? I really don't want this to be a waste of $50 for me..

I've heard a lot of problems related to the 8600M GT and this game for some odd reason, hopefully it's just coincidence. The 8600 definitely isn't a top of the line card, but it should be able to play the game fairly well on higher settings. I would try installing the latest video drivers first - if the problem persists, try defragging the HDD. Also make sure you don't have some intensive apps running in the background (like a virus scanner - Xfire also tends to decrease performance at times). A major problem is overheating, too (especially if you're running a laptop, which I'm assuming) - make sure your video card is generally staying below 70C. Another problem is Vista, which takes away a lot of GPU power in order to run the desktop. You could try turning off the Aero GUI as fix for that... The stuttering you're experiencing could also be FPS tearing, and that can be resolved by turning on VSync (not available in the WAR graphics options to my knowledge - you would have to force it through the nVidia console).

As you can see, a lot of things could be causing the problem.

Himizuu

Novice Member

OP  9/08/08 5:37:15 PM#3
Originally posted by DrChicken

Windows Vista
4 gigs of RAM

I've heard a lot of problems related to the 8600M GT and this game for some odd reason, hopefully it's just coincidence. The 8600 definitely isn't a top of the line card, but it should be able to play the game fairly well on higher settings. I would try installing the latest video drivers first - if the problem persists, try defragging the HDD. Also make sure you don't have some intensive apps running in the background (like a virus scanner - Xfire also tends to decrease performance at times). A major problem is overheating, too (especially if you're running a laptop, which I'm assuming) - make sure your video card is generally staying below 70C. Another problem is Vista, which takes away a lot of GPU power in order to run the desktop. You could try turning off the Aero GUI as fix for that... The stuttering you're experiencing could also be FPS tearing, and that can be resolved by turning on VSync (not available in the WAR graphics options to my knowledge - you would have to force it through the nVidia console).

I don't get it though, how can this game kill my computer practically when on the lowest settings when I can run EQ II at Very High Quality and STILL get better graphics than this? It does not make any sense you know?
*sigh* anyway, I'll attempt the graphics driver update, hopefully it goes over well.

Himizuu

Novice Member

OP  9/08/08 5:58:39 PM#4

Can't believe it was the video card drivers.. I could've sworn I'd updated them after I formated.

Well, anyway.. THANK YOU! If I wasn't a man I'd kiss you haha. I'm staying at a solid 40-50FPS on Balanced now. Thanks again!

DrChicken

Novice Member

9/08/08 6:07:49 PM#5

Windows Vista
4 gigs of RAM

I don't get it though, how can this game kill my computer practically when on the lowest settings when I can run EQ II at Very High Quality and STILL get better graphics than this? It does not make any sense you know?
*sigh* anyway, I'll attempt the graphics driver update, hopefully it goes over well.

Kind of strange - I can see why you're frustrated. I have a Dell XPS M1330 with specs very similar to your own (it also has the 8600M GT and Vista, + a 2.2GHz CPU), but I use it primarily for some engineering programs and school work. I did try to play WoW on it, just for kicks, and it got a lot of problems with high density population areas - even with the sub-standard graphics. Still weird that you can play EQ2 on higher settings but have problems with WAR. If that's the case, I would tend to blame the poor optimization on the side of the WAR client, which is partially true. Some games are more optimized than others (take Vanguard as poor optimization, for example). This is something that the devs tend to work out in the final stages of beta.

DrChicken

Novice Member

9/08/08 6:08:33 PM#6

Can't believe it was the video card drivers.. I could've sworn I'd updated them after I formated.

Well, anyway.. THANK YOU! If I wasn't a man I'd kiss you haha. I'm staying at a solid 40-50FPS on Balanced now. Thanks again!

Oh, wow. Any time.

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

9/10/08 12:32:04 AM#7

Windows Vista
4 gigs of RAM

It happens.  Soon enough if it is aproblem with drivers for the game a fix will come along.  You wont be the first person that has had problems playing a new game on a decent specced machine.

i cant help thinking there are a lot of people out there that buy laptops for fashion reasons.   A desktop is far more game friendly and if you get issues like this for a particualr game - you just swap something out.