Trending Games | ArcheAge | WildStar | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,816,726 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,216,039
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Plays like an early beta?

18 posts found
  Swiftblade13

Novice Member

"My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle" - Firefly

OP  9/08/08 4:02:01 PM#1

There are things I like about WAR, but so far my impression isnt great... in fact my first impression of Vanguard open beta was better then this.  I'm getting some kind of lag (I assume server lag since I'm running a high end system with an 8800).  The game just doesnt seem smooth and polished at all and combat feels very unrefined. 

I'm gonna keep playing till open beta is over to see if I change my mind, but so far I'm disappointed.

Grymm
MMO addict in recovery!
EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

Cotillion99

Novice Member

9/08/08 4:05:29 PM#2

I haven't seen lag in this game yet... even in giant keep sieges.  No one i know in my guild has had lag issues either.  If you don't like the game that's one thing, but somethings got to be messed up if you are getting lag.

User Deleted
9/08/08 4:07:10 PM#3

The combat and animations , as well as UI interactions are surprisingly....Unrefined for a 3ed attempt at an MMO for this company. Especially considering they are still using 10 year old tech. All these issues were resolved about 5 years ago.

Wont even talk about pathing issues and "Cannot attack target" messages.

Swiftblade13

Novice Member

"My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle" - Firefly

OP  9/08/08 4:13:19 PM#4

The lag I'm referring to is mostly hitching and mob lag.  Sometimes I'll throw at an enemy and it will just appear in front of me instead of running over.  After being killed mobs have a delay before they appear to die, and the screen freeze frames for a second here and there.  I'm going to run a lower resolution this time when I play just to be safe, but there is no way this game should lag... AoC didnt even lag on my system at max settings.

Grymm
MMO addict in recovery!
EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

miagisan

Novice Member

9/08/08 4:17:26 PM#5
Originally posted by Swiftblade13

The lag I'm referring to is mostly hitching and mob lag.  Sometimes I'll throw at an enemy and it will just appear in front of me instead of running over.  After being killed mobs have a delay before they appear to die, and the screen freeze frames for a second here and there.  I'm going to run a lower resolution this time when I play just to be safe, but there is no way this game should lag... AoC didnt even lag on my system at max settings.

well AOC on my system ran like total crap....and people would dissappear 5m in front of me. The only issue i have atm with WAR is the cannot attack target bug..which i hope they do address.

just1opinion

Smart-Alek

9/08/08 4:20:14 PM#6
Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

The combat and animations , as well as UI interactions are surprisingly....Unrefined for a 3ed attempt at an MMO for this company. Especially considering they are still using 10 year old tech. All these issues were resolved about 5 years ago.

Yeah, the "cannot attack target" or "target cannot be attacked" or w/e those on screen messages say.....are pretty annoying when the freaking target....IS attacking YOU.  I've run in to this problem more times than I'm comfortable with in Warhammer's preview, open beta plus and open beta thus far.  Granted, that's not a lot of in game time, but still.

Lag?  I haven't really seen any lag.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Iselin

The Listener

9/08/08 6:57:47 PM#7

As someone who played Vanguard with all the bugs and broken quest lines at release, I can't believe someone is actually making a comparison favoring Vanguard.

This game already plays better than Vanguard did after several months of patches. All important things (items, quest chains) work. RVR works without lag (triede it with about 50 vs, 50 in tier 1 open RvR.) The classes are relatively well balanced already--all that is needed is tweaks, not wholesale changes like the one the Uber Disciple needed immediately after launch...etc.

I was also in the AOC late beta and not only is WAR way less buggy than AOC was at this stage but it's just plain more fun and feels infinitely more polished.

This looks to me like it's heading for a launch as smooth as LOTRO's (the other game I tried in early '07 besides Vanguard and the one I stuck with.)

vinwiesel

Novice Member

9/09/08 2:38:56 AM#8

I'm pretty underwhelmed myself. I didn't have much time to play, but my first impression wasn't good.

1) Graphics are nothing spectacular.  There are F2P games with better.

2) The loot system is clunky. Its hard to target what you just killed, and it lags between clicking and the loot popping up so you're not sure you even got it.

3) Similar to graphics, the animations are not very fluid. The running animation is just plain silly. I swear it looks like I'm cross-country skiing.  When running uphill, my feet disappear into the hillside.

4) The loot isn't very descriptive.  Hard to compare what is better, or even what is useful. I'm sure over time this would become clear, but things don't seem very well set up for a new player.

Maybe at higher levels there is something to make up for the shortcomings, but so far I just feel like I'd rather be playing something else.  I think I'll try a different race in a different zone, as has been suggested in the other threads.

User Deleted
9/09/08 2:47:18 AM#9
Originally posted by vinwiesel

I'm pretty underwhelmed myself. I didn't have much time to play, but my first impression wasn't good.

1) Graphics are nothing spectacular.  There are F2P games with better.

This should allow for more people on screen during large RvR battles and allow a wide range of computer specs to be able to play the game with reasonable FPS, enticing a larger player base. The graphics are quite acceptable.

2) The loot system is clunky. Its hard to target what you just killed, and it lags between clicking and the loot popping up so you're not sure you even got it.

war.curse.com/downloads/details/13508/ AutoLoot Addon

3) Similar to graphics, the animations are not very fluid. The running animation is just plain silly. I swear it looks like I'm cross-country skiing.  When running uphill, my feet disappear into the hillside.

I haven't really noticed this, but it's a valid complaint I guess.

4) The loot isn't very descriptive.  Hard to compare what is better, or even what is useful. I'm sure over time this would become clear, but things don't seem very well set up for a new player.

The bigger the numbers the better it is... You're reaching here.

Maybe at higher levels there is something to make up for the shortcomings, but so far I just feel like I'd rather be playing something else.  I think I'll try a different race in a different zone, as has been suggested in the other threads.

If you don't enjoy the way the game plays or what there is to do I could understand not playing, but the issues you have really aren't game breakers. There are game breaking bugs in the game right now, you just didn't list any of them.

User Deleted
9/09/08 3:00:38 AM#10
Originally posted by girlgeek

Yeah, the "cannot attack target" or "target cannot be attacked" or w/e those on screen messages say.....are pretty annoying when the freaking target....IS attacking YOU.  I've run in to this problem more times than I'm comfortable with in Warhammer's preview, open beta plus and open beta thus far.  Granted, that's not a lot of in game time, but still.

That is lag.

The server and client are not meshing ( out of sync ), causing your client to see a mob on your computer attacking you, but the server is seeing the mob standing a long way from you and thus out of your reach. That is server side lag, not network lag which is what you were probably thinking of.

vinwiesel

Novice Member

9/09/08 3:08:05 AM#11

The poor graphics alone are a deal-breaker for me.  I shed a tear for those with crappy computers, but those of us that aren't ghetto poor should be able to turn it up.  Hell, the seams between polygons don't even line up.  But there is also a very limited character selection, boring fighting animations, etc. I just plain don't understand the hype behind this game.  3rd party addons are not an acceptable solution to missing or poor game functions. In fact, I'm pretty shocked that as hardcore as EA is about locking down their games with DRM that they even tolerate this.  To each their own. May you have fun with this game.  It's not going to rank very high in the subscribed mmo's list though. Call me psychic.

tl;dr: Uninstalled

User Deleted
9/09/08 3:10:25 AM#12

tl;dr: Uninstalled

Hope you find a game that you enjoy playing for the future. It's harsh out there in MMOland.

User Deleted
9/09/08 3:12:20 AM#13

3rd party addons are not an acceptable solution to missing or poor game functions.

The modding community is huge for many, many MMOs. There's one very popular MMO on the market today which has a couple of AddOns for it too.

TeamFortress

Apprentice Member

9/09/08 3:14:59 AM#14
Originally posted by WisebutCruel

That is lag.

The server and client are not meshing ( out of sync ), causing your client to see a mob on your computer attacking you, but the server is seeing the mob standing a long way from you and thus out of your reach. That is server side lag, not network lag which is what you were probably thinking of.

I wouldn't be so sure. it could be client "lag" also (getting the data in time to your 256 MByte graphics card.)

The lag problem interests me on a technical side.

I could understand AoC was way out of line with this as the graphics were destined to be used in an off line game.

But from the descriptions I see here, it is showing up on exactly the same way in WAR.

The more data (players and mobs) to shift to video, the more "laggy" gameplay. I don't think it's "only" a server problem.

Bottom question: which is the limit of data to shift for a "moderate" machine - single 8600/8800 graphics card in WAR. 20 mobs/players, 40 mobs/players???

User Deleted
9/09/08 3:18:15 AM#15

I am lead to believe that the 'Target not attackable' error is a bug and was created when the broke NPC pathing before the first Preview Weekend.

synn

Hard Core Member

9/09/08 5:19:08 AM#16

3rd party addons are not an acceptable solution to missing or poor game functions.

considering the game isn't released yet and being constantly patched fixing bugs, balancing the game, polishing the graphics/animations, ui fixes etc... I think mythic is doing one heck of a job. A 3rd party solution may not be acceptable to you but it is made available via other players that get the info needed for addons and stuff from mythic. No games are released perfect but this is one of the better ones imo.

edit: the graphics are nice. Its not amazing but considering the low comp specs needed it looks good enough. Whats the purpose of making games for high end computers? especially one that makes its money from subscriptions? This would only make thier target audience that much smaller.

skeaser

Apprentice Member

Don't die mad, just die.

9/09/08 5:24:17 AM#17
Originally posted by TeamFortress

That is lag.

I wouldn't be so sure. it could be client "lag" also (getting the data in time to your 256 MByte graphics card.)

I could understand AoC was way out of line with this as the graphics were destined to be used in an off line game.

But from the descriptions I see here, it is showing up on exactly the same way in WAR.

The more data (players and mobs) to shift to video, the more "laggy" gameplay. I don't think it's "only" a server problem.

Bottom question: which is the limit of data to shift for a "moderate" machine - single 8600/8800 graphics card in WAR. 20 mobs/players, 40 mobs/players???

Once again I say, I don't see how graphics can be related to lag. The server is not sending graphics, it's sending commands. A high res char jumping vs a low res char jumping is still just a jump command. All the animations, art and graphics are on the player's hard drive.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

User Deleted
9/09/08 5:31:28 AM#18
Originally posted by TeamFortress

That is lag.

I can guarantee you it's server side lag. How? Because it is a common occurance for a majority of the players instead of one or two isolated cases. If it were client side, it would only be happening to those with low spec comps/graphic cards. Unless, of course, the clients' programming  itself were fundamentally flawed.

Also, the graphics in WAR are no more intensive than the graphics in WoW, so it's not a problem of high res textures and high polygon counts slowing the data flow.