Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,638 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,206
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » AFKers - Will it be an issue?

18 posts found
  Deridium

Novice Member

OP  9/08/08 9:37:05 AM#1

Already saw topics about this and of course in open beta it does not matter if ppl afk and so on.

But will there be a system to remove AFK:ers when the game goes live?

I know I will get flamed by ppl who say there is no gain to AFK here and so on. But there is, even if it is a

small gain ppl have their AFK bots on during the night when they sleep and gain a little extra. I would not

care about it really if it was not for the AFK:er taking up a spot from a player who could contribute to the fight.

There can be only one

Locklain

Novice Member

9/08/08 9:40:25 AM#2
Originally posted by Deridium

Already saw topics about this and of course in open beta it does not matter if ppl afk and so on.

I know I will get flamed by ppl who say there is no gain to AFK here and so on. But there is, even if it is a

small gain ppl have their AFK bots on during the night when they sleep and gain a little extra. I would not

care about it really if it was not for the AFK:er taking up a spot from a player who could contribute to the fight.

Yes, I could see this as a potential problem.  As far as I know there is not way to remove someone from a scenario that is just standing there to soak up the exp at the end for winning/losing.  It would be relatively easy to set up an auto-clicker for the mouse to queue for a scenario and then accept it.  I have not run into this happening in beta yet but I could see it happen more as the game continues especially at high renown ranks.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
_______
|___|
\_______/
= ||||||
=
|X| \*........*/ |X|
|X|_________|X|
You wouldn't understand

peteski123

Novice Member

9/08/08 9:41:01 AM#3
Originally posted by Deridium

dont instances rvr have time limits and if you group with people and they dont answer in 10 mins cant you just kick them?

Locklain

Novice Member

9/08/08 9:50:04 AM#4
Originally posted by peteski123

dont instances rvr have time limits and if you group with people and they dont answer in 10 mins cant you just kick them?

You can kick them from a group yes, but not from a scenario.  Also, as far as I know being disconnected only happens if you are inactive.  With the clicking of the mouse that may reset the timer.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
_______
|___|
\_______/
= ||||||
=
|X| \*........*/ |X|
|X|_________|X|
You wouldn't understand

Billr00

Novice Member

9/08/08 9:52:42 AM#5

it shouldn't be hard to figure it out .. and when they do they should definitely ban for life those losers .. the very antithesis to the spirit of this game if you ask me                     

xcalibur

Novice Member

9/08/08 11:49:10 AM#6

I choose not to fight!

sanicek

Apprentice Member

9/08/08 12:07:00 PM#7

As long as the satisfaction in MMOs comes more from the reward side of things (gear) than from the actual gameplay fun, this will be an issue. I'm a long time semi AFker in WOW, playing on one screen and just watching series or browsing or whatever on second one. If end game at max rank turns to renown rank grind for gear, I can see myself doing the same in WAR again.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
+plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

bluesession

Apprentice Member

9/08/08 1:09:27 PM#8
Originally posted by xcalibur

I choose not to fight!

BOOOOOOO

Back to topic, you could always use them as bait to lure the other team into a trap

grimboj

Apprentice Member

Game hopping since 2003.

9/08/08 1:43:10 PM#9

Can someone confirm the scale of the bonus for doing damage / healing?

Frankly I tried AFKing in WoW and it seemed like a waste of electricity but its one of those things where if you're not doing it then you really don't want other people doing it xD

--
Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

Deridium

Novice Member

OP  9/08/08 2:08:51 PM#10

lets just hope they add some 3 strikes you are out or something to AFKing, or reset their pvp rank. should make the AFK:ers take notice.

There can be only one

Hazmal

Novice Member

If you can read this post, it means admins didn''t rickroll me again.

9/08/08 2:36:06 PM#11

Well it seems they already have a fix for this problem, at least I semi-tested it, not willingly though.

I was in a scenario in which I was placed in group 3 for some reason, all by myself.  So I had a rough time coordinating, I admit I was kind of watching TV too.  At any rate, every time I tried to meet up with the rest of the groups, I was steamrolled by groups of 4 or 5 that were taking our cap points.  I think I might have found 1 solo person that whole scenario, killed them. 

In the end, we won, I gained about 1300 regular exp and 13 renown points, compared to everyone else's 1500+.  So you get a slight leveling free ride, but 1300 exp for 15 mins isn't that great.  I think I got it for slightly participating in the first few caps.  I think it is going to be hard to afk your way into RR  points.

------------------
Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

snowchrome2

Novice Member

9/08/08 3:48:40 PM#12

i know in closed beta if you where afk for 1 hour even if you had the afk status thingie on you still get logged out for inactivity.

Auxer

Novice Member

Born to Tank!

9/08/08 4:06:21 PM#13

ppl should be banned and dragged behind a truck up a salty slope if they are found AFKing in the scenarios and so on.

The tank that is born to tank!

Channce

Apprentice Member

9/08/08 4:11:41 PM#14

I would hope they have thought of this, nothing worse than dieing over and over because ppl are in the BG and not playing, when you expect them to be there.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Deridium

Novice Member

OP  9/09/08 5:44:34 AM#15

Help the community by keeping AFK:ers out of the game, remove pvp xp, gear, whatever it takes to keep them away. Even banning if it happens multiple times.

seen from WoW the gold farmers and leveling services uses the AFK botting to a scary amount.

There can be only one

User Deleted
9/09/08 6:12:52 AM#16

i dont agree with removing afk players from the server.

thats one of the most unpolite ways there is to treat a player. If someone wants to go afk.. its their problem. you dont have to be focused playing all day with fear of getting kicked out.

User Deleted
9/09/08 8:30:13 AM#17
Originally posted by EduardoASG

i dont agree with removing afk players from the server.

thats one of the most unpolite ways there is to treat a player. If someone wants to go afk.. its their problem. you dont have to be focused playing all day with fear of getting kicked out.

Well I think it would be okay if they just logged them out, or penalized their gain for while they are AFK.

Booting permenantly or some sort of permenant penalty would be wrong though. Sometimes people have to go AFK unexpectedly sometimes. I dont have any kids of my own but I could imagine someone trying to take care of 1 or more children would be very upset if they find out they got some kind of harsh penalties because they had to go AFK quickly, or attend to an emergency.

kaishi00

Novice Member

9/09/08 9:53:26 AM#18

Don't accept the scenario queue if you're afk? If you must go afk while already half way through the battle, then log out.