Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,639,195 Users Online:0
Games:678  Posts:6,073,752
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » How do you think release will affect WoW? (poll) and not a flame war.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
54 posts found
  zethcarn

Apprentice Member

OP  7/08/07 12:54:43 AM#1

Not intended to be a WAR vs. WoW topic but how big of an impact will WAR have on it?

How many subscribers will WoW lose after WAR is released say 3 months?

zero - people love WoW too much man!
50,000 to 200,000
200,000 to 600,000
600,000 to 1 million
1 million to 2 million
2 million to 4 million
4 million to 6 million
6 million+
all thier customers will abandon them! cuz Blizz sucks and WAR is God!
(login to vote)
  ridd1ck

Novice Member

7/08/07 12:57:53 AM#2

Depends on how many WoW players want PvP. It's a known fact that WoW has slim to no PvP and WAR will in some way come to complete this major hole.

Valentina

Advanced Member

7/08/07 1:09:52 AM#3

I voted for 4Million to 6Million. Reason being, is over time it's bound to be take from that community. WoW is going to be a relatively old game by the time Warhammer is out. And Warhammer will provide what WoW does, plus alot more! I don't by any means believe it will steal ALL of it's community, but I am sure initially it will take a good chunk of players looking for something new, and then over time...it will bring in new gamers and ex-WoWers alike.

Lionexx

Novice Member

Alphen arms dealer rijin? No one can pronounce that Kyle! I can''t speak African..
-Jeremy,PP

7/08/07 1:11:47 AM#4

all thier customers will abandon them! cuz Blizz sucks and WAR is God!

But that wont happen :(

Playing: Everthing
Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

eumenidex

Novice Member

7/08/07 1:47:51 AM#5

Well, its entierly dependant on the development decesions made by both companies between now and when WAR launches.

If Blizz follows through like they have been with the lackluster class development and shotty content aimed at the Top 1%....and then WAR follows through with the ideas the've been giving us lately, the WoW will probably lose alot in as little time as 3 months. However, the contrary is equaly probable...Blizz could make Increadible development moves before WAR launch and Mythic could end up getting caught up with EA's Wonderfull trackrecord for destroying game communities. It could realy go either way, but i imagine both games will try to put out thier best for that opening quarter.

Regardless of how bad(ass) WAR turns out to be, i am Leaving WoW when it launches...I'm realy sick of this being the best game on the market, and well If WAR can't beat it then i'm done with Fantasy MMO's for a while. So, I'm thinking on the side of caution and there will be 200k people who will make the switch without hesitation. 

Marchus

Novice Member

7/08/07 2:20:29 AM#6

I don't think the majority of those playing WoW are particularly unhappy. I also don't think there are enough players there who are interested enough in PvP to want to leave for WAR, at least half of WoW's subscribers are playing on PvE or RP servers. I don't see more than a few hundred thousand making a change. Probably high hundreds for release with people following friends to try it out.

severius

Hard Core Member

7/08/07 2:38:31 AM#7

Far too early to tell I think.

First off there are alot of if's and maybe's surrounding WaR.  If the vast majority of the game actually centers around pvp rather than raiding etc I think it will have a rather small effect on WoW.  See, the differences in the game are twofold. 1) WaR is built around the pvp/rvr aspects that mythic really knows how to do.  While WoW was built around a loot/raiding dynamic with pvp tacked on.  I think that the community in WoW is more interested in the downing of the next Warcraft badguy and what shiny new loot they can get rather than spending the vast majority of their time facing off against other players.  Second the Warcraft universe was built originally as a warhammer game.  They built the game, Game's Workshop said thanks but no thanks and Blizzard changed the story a bit and released Warcraft Orcs vs Humans.  I believe that there are some small number of people that play wow because there isn't a warhammer mmo, but not nearly enough to really put a dent into the subs.

Secondly, and I personally have said it a few times here, Blizzard's biggest enemy right now is themselves.  They made a relatively stable game (depending on the server :P) that is easy to get into and has a slight sense of humor. (Carrot on a Stick anyone? :D)  They keep putting new carrots out there and a good number of people, obviously, like the chase.  If Blizzard is able to keep adding in new content, new raids, and new items, it will not go anywhere anytime soon.  On top of that a good 3/4's of their player base is Asian, not asian-american, but Korean and Chinese.  If trends stay the way they are Korea loves them some Blizzard and most likely only Star Craft 2 will pull the Blizzard fans away for any amount of time.

BrianAddison

Novice Member

7/08/07 2:38:47 AM#8

I'd guess the 3rd choice.

BryanBoitono

Novice Member

Luck is my middle name. Mind you, my first name is Bad.

7/08/07 2:45:46 AM#9

I doubt that very many people will jump from wow to war for these reasons:

1. Very few people in the states are aware that WH exists outside of this videogame much less the fact that its been around 25 years.

2. After a lot of polling in various WoW forums very few people where even aware that war was in production, where as almost as many people where aware of WoW as of EQ2. Remember, this was back when MMO was a rarely seen or talked about item.

3. It will PROBABLY not be kid friendly, removing a good chunk of the MMO population. By this I mean that war doesnt have "cute" fuzzy characters.

4. Despite my trepidition and my hate for wow, I must admit, It was a fun game.

Im not saying war wont be fun, Im just saying it appeals to a smaller audiance, and I think thats good. Because the number one problem with wow is its community. There are plenty of nice and intelligent people that play it, but you have to get through the kids that just got home from elementery school to grp with them.

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad, The dreams in which I'm dieing are the best I've ever had.

ormstunga

Advanced Member

stupid is as stupid does

7/08/07 2:47:39 AM#10

14.3% voting 2mil+ , which would be a tremendous succes imo for WAR.

25% voting 200k or less, showing ofc what kinda ppl lurk mmorpg.com 

Celestian

Novice Member

7/08/07 2:49:08 AM#11

I think it will affect the PVP player base dramatically in WoW.

Now how much of them there is ... I dunno.

severius

Hard Core Member

7/08/07 2:51:11 AM#12

Originally posted by BryanBoitono

I doubt that very many people will jump from wow to war for these reasons:

1. Very few people in the states are aware that WH exists outside of this videogame much less the fact that its been around 25 years.

Very few people know that Warhammer exists in the US?  It might be possible considering the younger crowd.  But I would hazard a guess to say that a good number of the mid20's on up crowd know of it, if they hadn't played it in pen and paper format.  Also, last year or was it 2 years ago now :(  there were a series of GREAT WH40k rts games that came out.. Dawn of War anyone? :)

Though I agree it will hopefully be a smaller community than that which is in WoW.  Especially for a pvp game its nice to be able to get to know the person you are going to kill :D

BryanBoitono

Novice Member

7/08/07 3:02:23 AM#13

Yes, I have Dawn of war and both expansions as well as mark of chaos and I own a fantasy and a 40k army, both of which are 2k+ base.

Maybe its where I live, 2 GW stores have failed in my location. A third is failing.

I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad, The dreams in which I'm dieing are the best I've ever had.

cerebrix

Novice Member

7/08/07 3:38:04 AM#14
its my opinion that war's release will have a minor effect. although there might be a small spike at launch, blizzard will not be taking their competitors lightly. they have a history always being fierce competitors in the marketplace. that said, they are now doing so with more money in the bank than anyone has ever had in this industry.

to think that blizzard isnt aware of the competition and to think they arent preparing to compete at WAR's launch fiercely is naive.

on the other side of that, mythic is now a part of EA. aside from ultima online EA has a history of backing out of mmo's in an average of 2 years.

with the warcraft film being made by legendary to also help market them new customers, with fierce development investments, i think wow isnt going anywhere other than staying at the top, for a very long time.
thats my 2 cents anyway.

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

BryanBoitono

Novice Member

7/08/07 3:43:02 AM#15
Originally posted by cerebrix
its my opinion that war's release will have a minor effect. although there might be a small spike at launch, blizzard will not be taking their competitors lightly. they have a history always being fierce competitors in the marketplace. that said, they are now doing so with more money in the bank than anyone has ever had in this industry.

to think that blizzard isnt aware of the competition and to think they arent preparing to compete at WAR's launch fiercely is naive.

on the other side of that, mythic is now a part of EA. aside from ultima online EA has a history of backing out of mmo's in an average of 2 years.

with the warcraft film being made by legendary to also help market them new customers, with fierce development investments, i think wow isnt going anywhere other than staying at the top, for a very long time.
thats my 2 cents anyway.

Those are better reasons than mine.

Schmiddy

Novice Member

7/08/07 3:47:12 AM#16

wow will bring an addon just before war release so they dont loose much customers

like that they did it with vanguard

yegnats

Novice Member

I get high without joints
I get drunk without booze
You should ask me why
What is there to lose?

7/08/07 3:58:36 AM#17

I believe it'll end up being like World of Warcraft = McDonalds, and Warhammer Online = Burger King. McDonalds is very popular, but the quality of their stuff (McGrittles are ok, though) isn't good, but it reels people in with a heavy marketing campaign, especially to children with the "happy meal". Burger King, on the other hand, isn't as popular, but is certainly a lot better tasting, isn't advertised as much, but has a faithful amount of customers that need their flame broiled goodness (RvR).

World of Warcraft will probably lose American and European customers to WAR first, being they were the first to start playing the game, South Korea is a toss-up, as they tend to be fiercely competitive and love games with a PvP focused aspect, but seem to be just as fiercely loyal to Blizzard.

In regards to EA's track record of backing out of MMO's after 2 years, this is a totally new scenario, being that they have an IP to work with, from Games Workshop, adding a third party to the mix. Since SWG is invalid as an example of an IP being used, as SOE will just toss basically dead games onto their Station Pass, so they have reason to raise the price of it, this will be a new thing to watch unfold, and see how EA handles a MMO with an IP that has had a very long and faithful following. I predict WAR will never die, as it will always have the table-top fans that want to bring their Warhammer experience to the next level, and ditch the archaic boardgameplay, and keep the cash funelling into the game, as they continue to utilize the lore rich Warhammer universe.

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
http://www.thenewmystics.com
http://www.joyrevolution.com
http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

impulsebooks

Novice Member

7/08/07 4:12:59 AM#18

Personally I don't think Blizzard will lose too much money over this launch of WAR. What will happen is that a lot of WOW players will open WAR accounts but they won't close their WOW accounts. They won't play WOW very much, except to attend a planned raid once or twice a week with their old guild freinds, the rest of the time they will be dwarfs killing al you greenskins in WAR.

War is coming, but not fast enough for me 

Mark E. Cooper
AKA Tohrment
Proud member of Damned Souls since 2007.
http://www.damnedsouls.eu

yegnats

Novice Member

I get high without joints
I get drunk without booze
You should ask me why
What is there to lose?

7/08/07 4:17:52 AM#19

Originally posted by impulsebooks

Personally I don't think Blizzard will lose too much money over this launch of WAR. What will happen is that a lot of WOW players will open WAR accounts but they won't close their WOW accounts. They won't play WOW very much, except to attend a planned raid once or twice a week with their old guild freinds, the rest of the time they will be dwarfs killing al you greenskins in WAR.

War is coming, but not fast enough for me 

I personally think, after players experience the revolutionary gameplay that WAR is promising, they will be like, "Screw WoW raids, I'd rather go raid a capitol city and get rewarded for it, with hundreds of my allies, against hundreds of my enemies!"

And yes, what I would pay to get into the beta right now. Name your price, Mythic! 

Once you go go whack, you'll never go back.

What is this "whack", you say? Check out the links!
http://www.thenewmystics.com
http://www.joyrevolution.com
http://www.thenewecstatics.co.uk

Godliest

Defender of Ascalon

"There''s a time and a place for everything, and it''s called college." - Chef

7/08/07 5:39:11 AM#20

I believe in second option. WAR and WoW are pretty unlike eachother. Sure, a few from WoW will go over to WAR, but the most of the WoW players will stay. Those who still play WoW are either hardcore raiders or unknowing of WAR. For many WoW is their first mmorpg and they don't know of any other.

Don't expect a big change. Stealing players from a PvE based game to a PvP based one won't be the easiest thing. Especially not since the PvE based game already got a pretty big fanbase.

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search