Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | EverQuest Next

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,793,810 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,194,772
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Now that WAR is going down, what alternative DAOC-style mmo will you play?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
67 posts found
  SirFubar

Novice Member

10/18/13 4:10:57 PM#41
Originally posted by ringdany
Originally posted by Amjoco
Originally posted by tom_gore

GW2's latest patch introduced a new mechanic that reduced zerging a bit on the borderlands WvW. Also, roll into a server that is not that high on the ranking list of WvW and you will face less zergs.

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

You have the perfect post! There is no way to get out of a zerg battle in games or battles in real life. All the epic movies that introduce huge battles depict two forces rushing into one huge zerg in the middle of the battle field. 

hm.. ok i did read about GW2's combat system. I also tried Regnum and Aika. Regnum seems to have less zergyness than GW2 and the combat seems more balanced. Not all rvr pvp mmos are dependent on zergs - In regnum, the individual player can still feel he can make a difference on his own. I guess a determinant of whether a game is zergy is whether the determinant of victory in pvp is more a player's skill, or the presence of a zerg.

Don't waste any time on Regnum, its just a garbage game. I've played the game for a while with a friend who couldn't play any decent MMO. The PvE grinding is boring and takes a really long time, balanced in this game is non existant. Gear makes huge difference and its the worst RGN of the genre. Most people just play for themselves, they don't care about you and most of them are just bad. Devs are the most incompetent in the industry, they prefer to add some new useless stuff instead of fixing the HUGE amounts of problems the game have.

All in all, GW2 is a million time better than this trash game.

korbzy

Novice Member

10/18/13 11:57:13 PM#42

A few of my WAR mates have started up darkfall unholy wars, they are loving it! FFAMMORPG Sandbox type of game with the same subscription price as WAR. There is lots of huge sieges with hundreds of people fighting eachother and a huge world.

goldtoof

Novice Member

10/20/13 2:46:14 PM#43
No ea never put out the classic daoc server.

There are apparently servers out there that just run base daoc and shrouded isles, but Im not going to link them.

If you want to stay legal, as I said before, planetside 2 is the best rvr game you can play today. Much better than gw2s WvW, got more active players than the other games mentioned.
  Lustmord

Elite Member

10/21/13 6:59:35 PM#44
Originally posted by goldtoof

There are apparently servers out there that just run base daoc and shrouded isles, but Im not going to link them.

If you want to stay legal, as I said before, planetside 2 is the best rvr game you can play today. Much better than gw2s WvW, got more active players than the other games mentioned.

I gotta disagree here. PS2 has better graphics, and faster gameplay...

But unless they changed something recently, it's just a giant meaningless fight that nobody can ever really win.

In Darkfall, when your city get's sieged, you're defending your home. There is more meaning to pvp, because there is reward and consequence.

Vladamyre

Hard Core Member

10/21/13 7:14:00 PM#45
Well later in the year those people left at Mythic are going to be revamping New Frontiers so with the death of WAR you could always go back to the best pvp game ever made., DAoC.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

aRtFuLThinG

Apprentice Member

10/21/13 7:32:44 PM#46
Originally posted by Lustmord

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative?

It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with.

It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat.

Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city.

All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH.

It would be awesome.

Darkfall is very different from WAR.

In WAR looting people is not one of your main objectives.

Also in WAR it is more about how you use the abilities (ability management), as oppose to how good your aim and how fast you react to swings are (personal skills)

I can't imagine people who main WAR would have a lot of love for Darkfall... it is just so different.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

10/21/13 8:37:35 PM#47
Originally posted by Lustmord

I gotta disagree here. PS2 has better graphics, and faster gameplay...

But unless they changed something recently, it's just a giant meaningless fight that nobody can ever really win.

In Darkfall, when your city get's sieged, you're defending your home. There is more meaning to pvp, because there is reward and consequence.

Right on "a giant meaningless fight that nobody ever wins" says it all.Combine that with level 1's competing against level 100's and you get some idea of why the game collapsed almost as soon as it was introduced.

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/30/13 6:51:54 PM#48

I feel I should respond on SirFubar's post here about Regnum: "Don't waste any time on Regnum, its just a garbage game.... The PvE grinding is boring and takes a really long time, balanced in this game is non existant. Gear makes huge difference...... All in all, GW2 is a million time better than this trash game."

Regnum is a very capable RvR open PvP mmo when ranked alongside indie games. It may not be as slick and fancy as Tera but it certainly can compete toe-to-toe with DAOC. And it isn't pay to win. Also note- as an RvR game, players are really meant to be independent and self-motivated to go out, join the crowd and kill the enemy themselves.

GW2 - not bad. very good if you want to pay the small price.

Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.

Darkfall - this is not RvR. This is more about ganging up and ganking new players for no reason whatsoever.

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

10/30/13 6:58:23 PM#49

No question DAOC.

#2 PS2

not even worth considering Gw2   WvW

goldtoof

Novice Member

10/30/13 7:44:44 PM#50
Originally posted by ringdany

Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.

HL2, counterstrike & halo aren't MMOs

PS2 takes place in persistent world, its a never ending battle, its not a 32 vs 32 match like battlefield.

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/31/13 1:04:46 AM#51

Originally posted by ringdany Planetside 2 - is an FPS RvR mmo. Lots of them about. HL2, Counterstrike, Halo etc etc.  
HL2, counterstrike & halo aren't MMOs PS2 takes place in persistent world, its a never ending battle, its not a 32 vs 32 match like battlefield.

i guess it's a question of definitions. for my personal preferences, an fps has such limited situational awareness, 30 or 100 on one map doesn't seem to make much of s difference. it's mainly just waiting for the next headshot.

goldtoof

Novice Member

11/01/13 10:13:00 AM#52
2000 per "map" in ps2. Only its not really maps, its continents. It's pretty much the same setup as daoc, except its a fps not tab target, and there's no pve.
  Channce

Advanced Member

11/01/13 10:14:24 AM#53
Originally posted by wsmar
Originally posted by cronius77
the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.

GW2 WvW = zerg. It is horrible. The great thing about WAR was that you could actually combat the zerg, without actually having to zerg yourself. That's not the case in GW2, you can barely even play a melee class in WvW. I think it is a pretty sad attempt at objective based PvP especially when they had a great template in WAR to look off of. 

Damn MMO's

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Tibernicuspa

Hard Core Member

11/12/13 7:41:18 PM#54
Originally posted by cronius77
the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently.

It's not even worth playing though. The RvR is so totally broken and fundamentally flawed. It shows the person who designed it had no idea what they were doing.

I'll be playing a good RvR MMO like PS2, or even Darkfall over GW2.

centkin

Elite Member

11/12/13 8:05:41 PM#55

x5 the exp and RR, wipe the servers monthly and run it as a tournament.  People might play it that way.  I loved Warhammer actually.  It was one of those times where I quit because of a server merge that made the balance unfavored instead of neutral.  Without the merge, I would have played a lot longer, but it is not fun to see your homecity sacked multiple times per day every day.

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  12/06/13 6:29:44 PM#56

Just letting people know that Champions of Regnum, a possible alternative to Warhammer, just xmas gifted each of its players 2,000-4,000 ximerin each. (about $8-$16). Regnum is also 3 faction RvR and is very similar to DAOC in format. It's a bit late if u do not already have a character but.. yea :/ thought i would post it anyway.

Vapors

Advanced Member

12/06/13 6:50:47 PM#57
Originally posted by Nidwin

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

I played warhammer like 2 years long, the first 10 mins in GW2 fighting at the WvW was very similar to Warhammer, but to be honest, the WvW is just bad designed. And it does not really fit well into the skill system of GW2.

The way u survived in Warhammers RVR is the holy trinity, where tanks and healers could support the massive amount of dmg dealers. Even it was a uber zerg like 60vs60, you could keep everything under control.

Tygranir

Novice Member

12/06/13 6:52:13 PM#58
Go AoC if you want some good pvp

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
Referral link
7 day subscriber level access
Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

rasli

Novice Member

12/06/13 9:20:44 PM#59
Originally posted by Vapors
Originally posted by Nidwin

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

I played warhammer like 2 years long, the first 10 mins in GW2 fighting at the WvW was very similar to Warhammer, but to be honest, the WvW is just bad designed. And it does not really fit well into the skill system of GW2.

The way u survived in Warhammers RVR is the holy trinity, where tanks and healers could support the massive amount of dmg dealers. Even it was a uber zerg like 60vs60, you could keep everything under control.

In GW2 you survive through teamwork where people stack at time of need and blast water fields. Good organized guilds of 20 can even tank all the siege damage and taking down keep doors this way. So in this sense the coordination requirement for the team is actually higher in GW2.

kinart

Hard Core Member

12/07/13 4:26:35 PM#60

GW2's WvW is just a treadmill thing. There are no enemy nameplates (just a generic 'Enemy scout from XXX server'), and even the 'XXX server' changes every week. So you fight with anonymous players of some random server that changes every week. This removes almost all the fun of PvPing... you can't say i beat that player 3 times today. You can't say "we beat that clan, that guild, that server today" . There's nothing like server pride, guild pride or personal pride for your wins, or enemy respect for their wins. It's totally unpersonalized.

ps: You can't even see enemy guilds. "Guild wars" without the guilds' names...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search