Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic | Marvel Heroes

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,922,253 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,243
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Now that WAR is going down, what alternative DAOC-style mmo will you play?

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
67 posts found
  MikeB

MMORPG.com Community Manager

9/19/13 7:10:10 PM#21

ESO, probably.  The problem is that while you can offer three-faction (or in WAR's case, two) RvR style gameplay, it was only Warhammer Online that had the campaign that made it so integral to the experience. That back and forth tug of war between zones was a really compelling experience and I haven't been able to find one like it since.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/10/13 10:11:10 AM#22

Originally posted by Emeraq Can't you all just go back to the 'alternative style' that keeps getting mentioned.... DAOC.. Didn't they implement classic servers

hm.. well games like Champions of Regnum and DAOC, both 3 realms RvR open PvP are still great fun. People just like flashy and new things. But I prefer Regnum.

It's just a trendy thing to play new stuff, but it is probably a bit brainless.

Lustmord

Advanced Member

10/11/13 7:37:57 PM#23

I'd reccomend Darkfall.

Best MMO on the market, imo.

aspekx

Novice Member

10/11/13 7:51:36 PM#24

ya im not really a fan of open world pvp, but the pvp in WAR was just about as close as you can get to perfect imo.

too bad there was /no/ real pve or crafting content to add to the mix and keep my interest up. i can't just pvp for hours on end for months at a time. i need some other activities to break up the monotony.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/14/13 11:56:16 AM#25

ok it seems there is another alternative to Warhammer, Champions of Regnum, and DAOC.

Shadowbane Emu, a rebuild of the old very popular shadowbane mmo, and officially pproved by Ubisoft, is beta testing now and could be released to the public in the next few months.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13668&p=192355#p192355

shadowbane is an open RvR sandbox pvp mmo. every player can build his own city and go to war against other players.

Lustmord

Advanced Member

10/15/13 2:25:15 AM#26
Originally posted by ringdany

ok it seems there is another alternative to Warhammer, Champions of Regnum, and DAOC.

Shadowbane Emu, a rebuild of the old very popular shadowbane mmo, and officially pproved by Ubisoft, is beta testing now and could be released to the public in the next few months.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13668&p=192355#p192355

shadowbane is an open RvR sandbox pvp mmo. every player can build his own city and go to war against other players.

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative?

It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with.

It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat.

Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city.

All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH.

It would be awesome.

ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/15/13 3:26:55 AM#27

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative? It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with. It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat. Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city. All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH. It would be awesome.

mm.. well Darkfall is pay to play. Presently, regnum, daoc classic, aika, aion and shadowbane are all f2p. (shadowbane is only in beta). also, there is some news on reddit that darkfall 2 is dying due to internal corruption by the developers. apparently, they were handing out free items to their friends who sold them for real money. ick.

edit: read this thread for more info: http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/1ljhew/state_of_the_game/

gamekid2k

Novice Member

10/15/13 10:11:45 AM#28
GW2 is to watered down. I switched to Darkfall and loving it. See video in my signature.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Nidwin

Novice Member

10/16/13 6:08:51 AM#29

We tried GW2 and came all back to war so that's not an option, me thinks.

From my, our side, it's going to be back to DaoC because RvR-wise it's still the best remaining option out there after the 18th of December.

gamekid2k

Novice Member

10/16/13 11:19:40 AM#30
Some are already moving to Darkfall. Some will wait a year or two for the next big conquest mmo

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

goldtoof

Novice Member

10/18/13 1:57:53 PM#31

well a few games

I'm playing Chivalry for a bit of brutal combat, but its all instanced match based, nice for a couple of fun matches but i cant play it all night

I'm playing Skyrim and torchlight 2 for a bit of fantasy PVE

I'm playing Planetside 2 for RVR.   As its the only modern RVR game.  Its fun and involves as much teamwork as WAR, and you can do things as a guild, but its sci-fi and im also not that good at fps so I tend to play chaufer ferrying people around in galaxies and sunderers while supporting people with engineer skills.

But damn it, I want something where I can go around being a big orc and bashing people.

Will try CU.  have some doubts about ESO, looks a bit  separated and gamey like GW2

people mentioned Darkfall and GW2, but neither are RVR games.  Darkfall is a Guild vs Gujild / FFA game.  WvW is a 2 week long red vs green vs blue fight, there's no realms in it, so for me there's no lore reason to fight, I couldn't get into it for this reason.  Also you coudl be doing well then it reset, and WVW on my low level character at least seemed a huge gold sink.

Glad I didn't though as I discovered PS2 and the maps are way bigger in PS2, each side has their own unique weapons and vehicles to fuel rivalry, it doesn't reset its constantly ongoing.   but then they have the alert system for those that want a "winning a match" type purpose too,  this works by every so often you get a random 2 hour long event like say capture the continent of indar or capture all the powers stations on all 3 continents - if a side does this before the time limit they get a big XP bonus, if the timer runs out the side / sides closest to winning get a moderate bonus.

Anyway its worth checking out until CU launches as its F2P.  however you do need a good computer to run it. 

apocoluster

Novice Member

\m/,

10/18/13 2:06:27 PM#32
HKO.....it has all the PvP I would want to play

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

goldtoof

Novice Member

10/18/13 2:18:36 PM#33
What's HKO?
  ringdany

Apprentice Member

OP  10/18/13 4:09:20 PM#34

HKO is Hello Kitty Online right?

I assume the suggestion of HK o is justa joke. HKO has no pvp.

Quicksand

Advanced Member

10/18/13 4:19:02 PM#35

Rift, it is F2P, the graphics are an updated version (look wise) of WAR. The rift system is a more advanced copy of the WAR public quest system. The RvR is also done fairly well (IMO)

www.90and9.net
www.prophecymma.com

Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

10/18/13 4:27:35 PM#36
DAOC...12 years old...a tattered remant of a once great game is still THE BEST rvr(realm vs realm ) game on the market.No other company has bothred to understand its strengths.Certainly not GW2.
  Shadanwolf

Apprentice Member

10/18/13 4:34:50 PM#37
Originally posted by Sovrath
Originally posted by tom_gore

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

This is true. I think it's sadly amusing that some people call for more "massive" in mmo's but that usually means that "a massive" amount of people might want to participate in what is considered large scale activities.

People could wait for Camelot Unchained.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

Mark Jacobs destroyed DAOC and WAR...and you can't wait for his next project ?

Kendane

Novice Member

10/18/13 4:44:57 PM#38
I imagine the next will be Elder Scrolls Online. Issue is from what little I've looked into that game is like GW2 there won't be a difference in available classes. Didn't DAoC have similar classes between factions, but slight variations? Regardless if there are specific racial traits it might vairy it up some. Guess it's wait and see though.
  Vladamyre

Hard Core Member

10/18/13 4:49:13 PM#39
Originally posted by Kendane
I imagine the next will be Elder Scrolls Online. Issue is from what little I've looked into that game is like GW2 there won't be a difference in available classes. Didn't DAoC have similar classes between factions, but slight variations? Regardless if there are specific racial traits it might vairy it up some. Guess it's wait and see though.

DAoC didnt have the same classes on all 3 realms. For example all 3 different heavy melee wore different types of armor and used different types of weapons. Armsmen wore plate, could use a polearm and a few other different types of weapons, warriors wore chain and could use a 1 handed or 2 handed weapon with the same spec, heroes wore scale and had spears and different variations of large weapons. The only spec line that was the same for all 3 of those classes came from the shield line.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

neobahamut20

Apprentice Member

We can only show them the path, but they have to be the ones to take it.

10/18/13 5:05:50 PM#40
Originally posted by wsmar
Originally posted by cronius77
the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.

GW2 WvW = zerg. It is horrible. The great thing about WAR was that you could actually combat the zerg, without actually having to zerg yourself. That's not the case in GW2, you can barely even play a melee class in WvW. I think it is a pretty sad attempt at objective based PvP especially when they had a great template in WAR to look off of. 

No offense but you must be a terrible player.

The melee classes are insanely overpowered at the moment in WvW. The zergs are small teams (rarely over 25 players) in the bronze tier of servers. If you do pick up GW2 for the WvW, feel free to contact ptitminou.6489 on Sorrow's Furnace server. If you want 80+ man teams and extreme coordination, Sanctum of Rall is probably your best bet as all they run is one huge, fat zerg. I suggest you play a warrior, necro or guardian. Warrior is the most OP class in WvW at the moment.

Most people who complain about zergs usually are just sad that they cant be solo heroes in that game and understand nothing about the concept of team play. If you want 1v1 fights or battlegrounds, GW2 is probably one of the worst games out there for that, even WoW's sPvP is better than GW2's.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search