Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,463 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,366
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » WAR shutting down in December

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
38 posts found
  Sephros

Novice Member

9/18/13 9:40:22 PM#21
No Gorwe, with the way you free flow geek like that you will not be getting a girlfriend any time soon. Sorry man.

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
Press F1 to continue......

Comaf

Advanced Member

I want an mmorpg where pvp matters, my enemies are not my race or class, and community matters.

9/18/13 10:02:33 PM#22
Originally posted by Toonmanisback

http://www.warhammeronline.com/article/Warhammer-Notice-Shutdown

http://www.warhammeronline.com/article/Warhammer-Update

Oh for God's sakes it's about darn time.  Warhammer was another title that ignored thread after thread from the Dark Age of Camelot community (you know, that game they sort of borrowed from but never played?).

My favorite memory of Paul Barnett was when he posted on their official forums a video about how in an interview the community had been whining wrongly over out of control AOE damage (think bright wizard warrior priest groups slaying entire raid groups).

I was privileged to be the first response on that forum - and I posted a video of a handful of stoned fellows aoe nuking an entire raid to death, while hiding behind a column of rock.  I believe it was 3 Bright Wizards and 1 Warrior Priest.  They were laughing their butts off about how they had just owned an entire raid.  

Point was - Mr. Barnett with all of his used car salesman savvy was just gutted in front of his own community - I almost have to wipe a tear in pride.

On a brighter note...

Perhaps now Mythic can finally give us a tiny Origins server, lmao.  So sad to ask for so little and to still see an entire community ignored.  Most of us blamed EA - now we shall truly see if Mythic was the culprit behind not caring about DAoC any longer.

Onto Elder Scrolls Online!

krage

Apprentice Member

9/18/13 10:41:09 PM#23
Originally posted by Gorwe
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSYs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Asuryan has heeded my prayers! At very last, this sterling, lovely IP will move away from scum from EA/Mythic and this disaster will be no more...

Now, let's get a proper RPG/mmorpg shall we? I don't care if it's on Ulthuan, in Empire, in Karaz whatever or in blasted Praag! Tho Ulthuan does get an advantage ofc! It's high time I felt free...

This week's awesome lol! Three legendaries in Diablo, AH offline news in Diablo and now this? What's next? I'll get a girlfriend? Oh please Asuryan, MAKE IT SO! xD

True, this is a very good silver lining lol

Hulluck

Apprentice Member

9/18/13 11:54:04 PM#24

I personally think it sucks and kind of got a bummed reading that. Probably because there are always people that enjoy a given mmo no matter how I or others view it.  I played it after it had fallen off of most peoples radars. It felt boring, lacking. It had big issues as well. Knowing a bit of it's history and how bad it had gotten from sites like this the only reason I played it was that I was getting day time cards off of Amazon for like $4.99. Fairly cheap. There weren't that many for that price.

Edit: Just to correct myself it was a 60 day gtc not that it matters that much. Was extremely cheap and there were only like 5 at the time for that price. Some store clearing their old stock would be my guess. Wasn't intentionally giving bad info.  I have bought so many different GTC's for various games over the years. I guess my memory failed me. Funny thing is the box it came in was sitting fairly close to me,oops. :S

When I played, T4 could get pretty active at certain times. Other times it was flat out dead.  T1, Nordland was the only active zone and the same free twinks side swapping every 5 minutes made that a rather bad experience. Oh Mount Bloodhorn got active for awhile during that one event.

Now here's what puzzled me about T4..  How are people going to play an RVR based game but they want absolutely nothing to do with the zerg. Seriously, "warband" had become a four letter word for a large portion of the players that were left. I was really shocked by this. It contradicted everything the game was about. I guess come to think of it I do kind of get why they did it.  More RP.   So in a RVR based game a player got rewarded more Renown by themselves than grouped. Just doesn't make any sense.  *glaring issue* Oh well it does not matter since EA clearly has not wanted to put any money into the title for awhile now.

Ulorik

Apprentice Member

9/19/13 3:01:47 AM#25

Personally I'm sad about it. When it was released it was a great game with many innovations that have been taken on by other games after. I loved the world and the detail in which it was crafted. More then anything I'm sad to lose this actually.

I had been playing on on of over the last years, hoping that the game would become f2p. I'm sure a lot of people would have actually loved to be able to casually hop on and fill their RvR needs.

Sad to lose my little Slayer punk...

Mmocount

Novice Member

9/19/13 5:48:12 AM#26

Let's immortalize Fozee (The last of the Mo-derators) from the official forums here as well as it's quite in tune with the downfall of this game:

Fozee Quits:

You've been a great community and I've really loved spending the last 3 years moderating your posts. Thank you all for remaining loyal customers for far, far longer than any of you should have.  I will truly miss what we had. I wanted to say some hurtful things about WAR's management right here. The fact is, though, they've never so much as laid a finger on the forums and certainly have only lied to me. Hey, they lied to all of us. My only request is that they not be set in an undeserved positive light by the gaming media over the coming days. Note that Carrie may have posted a goodbye sticky on the forums, but I had her removed from the mod list months ago. She isn't part of the WAR project and should not be pretending that she is. I'll see you all in-game over the final few months, I just wanted to make a point of what happens when you cross your lead moderator with no backup plans.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/232/index/17346827

MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

9/19/13 5:53:18 AM#27

They should have have had a design model based around:

ANY(player) -> ANY(class)

So much for Skaven, Lizardmen etc.

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/19/13 5:53:19 AM#28
Yes, I do know about their deals with hasbro. Even in spite of better judgement(and common sense!), they still want to sell themselves. Fair enough! Evil, stubborn people like CEO's of GW should get whacked on the head. Just to remember who they were and from where they came. The money and the pride totally blinded them.

And I don't Expect any new RPG(not an MMO mind you!) before 2018 at the earliest and 2020 at the latest. So it's win/win for me. :))))
  MumboJumbo

Hard Core Member

Veni, Vidi, Converti

9/19/13 5:55:34 AM#29
Yes, I do know about their deals with hasbro. Even in spite of better judgement(and common sense!), they still want to sell themselves. Fair enough! Evil, stubborn people like CEO's of GW should get whacked on the head. Just to remember who they were and from where they came. The money and the pride totally blinded them.

And I don't Expect any new RPG(not an MMO mind you!) before 2018 at the earliest and 2020 at the latest. So it's win/win for me. :))))

I never understood why Games Workshop did not develop a digital strategy for their IPs beyond licensing. They could have made huge money eventually I believe, instead they're fattening their reported accounts before a sell-out?

Varthander

Apprentice Member

Forum ranks are useless.

9/19/13 5:58:21 AM#30
About time, let it rest already.

Mmocount

Novice Member

9/19/13 5:58:59 AM#31

And the Psychic of the Year award goes to .... Cornerback, for this post back in August:

it's gonna be like:"We've got some great news for you. for WAR's 5th anniversary, we will shut down the game. have fun and enjoy spending the money you will save from now on"

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/232/index/17018099/3#17230852

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/19/13 9:06:11 AM#32
Originally posted by MumboJumbo

I never understood why Games Workshop did not develop a digital strategy for their IPs beyond licensing. They could have made huge money eventually I believe, instead they're fattening their reported accounts before a sell-out?

That's because they are working under following assumption(which only proves that they are stuck somewhere in late 90s-early 2000s):

A person can only enjoy one thing at a time from any specific genre. So if you do have virtual TT and real TT-they think that virtual will make people less prone to buying the tin bits-oops miniatures.

That's how they think and here is another company that also went to hasbro in the beggining of this decade(Wizards) and the outcome of transition. They shared the mindset about virtual/real parts of their games until the transition. Afterwards, Wizards booted Magic Online, the game where you have virtual tables/cards etc(think of virtual poker now) and achieved LOL success. Even bordering their real Magic cards.

Why is GW satisfied with just sitting on this beautiful IP(Warhammer Fantasy) and just rehashing it instead of actually doing sth new with it is beyond me. We need more than TT-such is the age, one can only embrace it. And I have a feeling that hasbro is going to put that as a necessity for the merger. The will to put out new games, go with the flow etc...

Even better if they do require it ;)

Hulluck

Apprentice Member

9/19/13 10:51:54 AM#33
Originally posted by Mmocount

Let's immortalize Fozee (The last of the Mo-derators) from the official forums here as well as it's quite in tune with the downfall of this game:

Fozee Quits:

You've been a great community and I've really loved spending the last 3 years moderating your posts. Thank you all for remaining loyal customers for far, far longer than any of you should have.  I will truly miss what we had. I wanted to say some hurtful things about WAR's management right here. The fact is, though, they've never so much as laid a finger on the forums and certainly have only lied to me. Hey, they lied to all of us. My only request is that they not be set in an undeserved positive light by the gaming media over the coming days. Note that Carrie may have posted a goodbye sticky on the forums, but I had her removed from the mod list months ago. She isn't part of the WAR project and should not be pretending that she is. I'll see you all in-game over the final few months, I just wanted to make a point of what happens when you cross your lead moderator with no backup plans.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/232/index/17346827

I am a little curious what went on behind the scenes. Fozee seems to have went on a few rants lashing out at EA staff on the forums.  Surprised some of the posts are still there.  Guess it proves a point though.

sonicbrew

Novice Member

9/19/13 11:00:36 AM#34
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Uh-huh
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, y'all

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb

Jyiiga

Apprentice Member

9/19/13 1:58:14 PM#35

You know... I am going to take the opposite approach here.

Good riddance to another half assed MMO. The market is flooded with games. I hope more go under and then maybe, just maybe we can start seeing a bit more quality in what comes down the tube.

Warhammer and GW2 both fail to capture the amazing scale and fun of DAOCs RvR.

Gorwe

Elite Member

9/19/13 6:16:48 PM#36
This game abused the IP for far too long just in the name of RvR. No more!

Warhammer is so much more than even TT, let alone RvR...
  Hulluck

Apprentice Member

9/19/13 8:50:39 PM#37
Originally posted by Jyiiga

You know... I am going to take the opposite approach here.

Good riddance to another half assed MMO. The market is flooded with games. I hope more go under and then maybe, just maybe we can start seeing a bit more quality in what comes down the tube.

Warhammer and GW2 both fail to capture the amazing scale and fun of DAOCs RvR.

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  They did milk it while putting barely anything into it for awhile now.

drtack1

Advanced Member

9/19/13 8:55:34 PM#38

My condolences go out to all the WAR fans..........I remember a time when my favorite mmo closed in December, RIP SWG.

Enjoy WAR while you can guys!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search