Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2 | Destiny

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,704 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,563
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Is Warhammer Online, EA's Vanguard?

7 posts found
  MMOExposed

Spotlight Poster

OP  5/28/13 5:09:54 AM#1

I can't help but notice this connection between Warhammer Online and Vanguard.

SOE let Vanguard sleep for a while before converting to F2P then in which the game started to get support.

well I am noticing this same thing going on with Warhammer Online.

at first I thought EA was just afraid of F2P, but SWTOR disproves this theory. So why hasn't Warhammer gone F2P, unless its being used in a similar manner SOE used Vanguard? Whatever that reason may be.

what you think about this issue?

sibs4455

Advanced Member

5/28/13 6:27:09 AM#2
I would say Warhammer is more in a coma than just sleeping.
  Gorwe

Elite Member

5/28/13 6:30:30 AM#3

It's different. Why? Don't forget that EA has got to deal with one of more Iron fisted companies out there when doing anything Warhammer related. SOE doesn't have to do that(ie IP is theirs). And, if I am correct, they are just waiting for IP contract to expire. And the final difference is massive. Vanguard failed because of technical reasons(fair enough). Meanwhile, WAR failed because, oh where do I begin? Because of: wrong marketing(PvP fans instead of Warhammer fans), lack of marketing(can you honestly remember even one WAR AD?), dead PvE(look, PvE's got to be at least healthy. Not one MMO with subpar PvEs is doing fine), lack of things to do(RvR, RvR and MOAR RVR!!!), lack of support(Mythic dropped it after lotd), internal struggles(EALouse etc), false marketing(Barnett outright lying), bugs, bugs and BUGS. Also, failed launch.

They do seem similar enough, but only on the first look. WAR's the biggest fail there is(imo). Only then come Dark n Light, Earth n beyond, AoC, Vanguard, etc...

Issiea

Novice Member

5/28/13 6:43:16 AM#4

My whole guild moved to Warhammer when it came out and honestly it was a fun game at start.  

I enjoyed it for the most part but endgame it had serious problems as well as some balancing issues.  Now don't get me wrong I don't believe all classes necessarily need to be entirely equal but there was a few classes who were way too powerful and didn't get toned down (ie. Bright Wizards).  It got to to the point that I'd log in and 8 out of 10 classes were playing one.

Besides this though, it also had many bugs which didn't get fixed and the endgame gear wasn't suitable for certain classes.  For example I was stuck with endgame gear that had stats which were useless for my class and nothing existed for it.  After waiting for weeks on end I gave up.  

Granted I don't know if they fixed all this, I haven't gone back to check it out as I took a fairly long break from MMO's.  Maybe someone who has played recently can give a better idea of what it is like to play now.

Nidwin

Novice Member

5/29/13 2:42:11 AM#5

Status of War as requested by previous poster

War has evolved to a PvP/RvR only focus game so don't expect anything else.

BW's have been nerfed more than 3+ years ago.

There are still bugs but nothing game-breaking anymore. Can although be annoying sometimes but most of us are used to it.

Keep Lords and keep guards and BO guards has been dumped since 1.4.0. and the campaign has been revamped. Some hate it, others love it.

and so on and so on and so on.

Only update I care about actually is if the servers are going down in a coupl of hours or not and why?

Just maintenance?

1.4.9?

Part 2 of the Stronghold Sage live Event?

User Deleted
6/01/13 12:32:16 PM#6
Originally posted by MMOExposed

I can't help but notice this connection between Warhammer Online and Vanguard.

SOE let Vanguard sleep for a while before converting to F2P then in which the game started to get support.

well I am noticing this same thing going on with Warhammer Online.

at first I thought EA was just afraid of F2P, but SWTOR disproves this theory. So why hasn't Warhammer gone F2P, unless its being used in a similar manner SOE used Vanguard? Whatever that reason may be.

what you think about this issue?

Like I have said in other threads and some have said here, WAR going F2P at anytime is highly unlikely. A game needs a decent-size team to even make the switch to F2P, but that would only be a temporary fix for WAR. It would really boost the population in the lakes to help shake off the dust but it wouldn't be long before those players start needing new content (among other things).

Veterans like myself will not pay a dime to Mythic just because the game goes F2P, we want to know it has a future.

However, if WAR did have a real resurgence, there would be a lot of happy gamers flocking to support it.

Note: WAR F2P is now greatly diminished with TESO on the horizon. Even though Warhammer is a setting far better suited for RvR, TESO is a newer game promising to fill WAR's niche (fantasy RVR). If TESO tanks though, it can give more hope to WAR (If it's still breathing by then).

Omali

Advanced Member

6/01/13 1:37:08 PM#7

James Casey at Mythic said last year that the costs for making Warhammer free to play are more than EA is willing to invest.

http://mmofallout.com/?p=8448