Trending Games | WildStar | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,642,766 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,076,579
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » Another one of pillars of p2p falls(Rift)

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
34 posts found
  ipeka

Novice Member

5/20/13 8:21:59 PM#21
Originally posted by TheMaahes

TRION is making the better business decision with their game and their main reason is to keep up with an evolving market, which makes perfect sense for them. By entering into the hybrid F2P area and out of the subscription era, they become a titan on the scene, rather than a small competitor next to giants. RIFT will enter into direct competition with games like LotRO instead of WoW and that makes solid business sense.

Unfortunately it's a year way too late , too many games alreadyy entered the f2p battle royale, now rift's going have to deal with tera, tsw, swtor, and lotr.

DeanGrey

Apprentice Member

5/20/13 8:33:14 PM#22

WAR was ridden hard by EA. Key staff were pulled off to try and fix SWTOR's PVP and never returned like they were supposed to. Then staff members were stuck on other games, like the TOK and short-term producer Carry Goushoweveryouspelit being handed off to an Ultima project. To add to that they have lost their community manager and now the rumor is that there is a single developer left on the project, although it is a rumor and likely not true I do believe it can't be far off.

I love WAR and stuck with it for a long while. I only ever left because development became too slow and I did not like the addition of additional renown ranks, mostly the first. If WAR ever went f2p I have always said I would return, me and my friend who stuck it out with me and left when I did. It is still the best PvP I have ever been a part of because the combat system works really well, there is room to fully and completely suck and I like that feeling of not having my hand held.

Sadly I don't see WAR ever going f2p, if anything it is more likely to run until its legs give out. Moves like rebranding Mythic as Bioware Mythic and then backbranding back to Mythic show a lack of confidence.

On the off chance that anyone who worked on the game ever sees this, thank you for making an incredible game. It wasn't perfect but it will always hold a special spot in my heart.

hikaru77

Hard Core Member

5/20/13 8:48:28 PM#23
WAR as F2P MMO, mean = an insane amount of people coming back to the game. So why WAR isnt F2P yet?, nobady really knows. 
  Pie_Rat

Novice Member

5/20/13 9:17:50 PM#24

WAR has great PvP and many other cool features but it has one major flaw, there's really no point to any of it besides having fun with combat. In other words, it has no end game whatsoever.

You grind and grind and grind renown for better gear, then...nothing. No territory control, no city building, hardly any economy due to very limited crafting, no PvP ladders etc. You capture zones, they flip, then they reset...Yawn.

Combat can be alot of fun but after a month or so (I've returned like 10 times to this game) I'm always left wondering why I'm playing it. For better gear? Not good enough.

Back on topic. If I were in charge I wouldn't go F2P with WAR (F2P makes me vomit) but I definitely would extend the free trial to tier 2 and then maybe even T3 further down the road.

One last thing. Many people don't realize that WAR also has a cash shop and it sells the exact same shit you'd expect from a F2P game (XP/renown boosts, faster mounts etc.).

For a dying game, having both a sub AND an arguably P2W cash shop is beyond retarded...

Whoever's in charge really doesn't want it to make a come back, that's for sure. I just can't believe they can be that stupid in managing the game.

Currently playing: Darkfall UW, LoL.
Waiting for: Albion Online.

Omali

Hard Core Member

5/20/13 9:18:06 PM#25
Originally posted by hikaru77
WAR as F2P MMO, mean = an insane amount of people coming back to the game. So why WAR isnt F2P yet?, nobady really knows. 

Sure we do. It was confirmed that EA will not give the money that it takes to make the game free to play because they don't see it paying off in the end. Warhammer won't see any real content, and the likelihood that Games Workshop will renew the license is slim if GW has paid attention at all over the past two years.

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

5/20/13 9:26:02 PM#26
Originally posted by TheMaahes

TRION is making the better business decision with their game and their main reason is to keep up with an evolving market,

No, the main reason is the game didnt hook enough people to be a sub game.

Gorwe

Elite Member

OP  5/22/13 8:16:54 PM#27

Whoever declared WAR a PvP game? The only few things that are special about WAR's PvP are body blocking(kinda meh and can be abused as well), large scale(meh, it all comes down to Zerg vs Zerg then. Everything that you do feels pointless.) and that it is out there instead of holed in some "Battlegrounds".

They ruined Warhammer IP on the behalf of PvP and now I will not have a good Warhammer RPG until 2020(at least).

Waffle you DAoC fail boys!!! You and your wafflemeister jacobs just suck.

:( :( :(

So god dam sad and infuriated.

>.< :( >.< :(

User Deleted
5/22/13 11:29:25 PM#28
Originally posted by Gorwe

Whoever declared WAR a PvP game? The only few things that are special about WAR's PvP are body blocking(kinda meh and can be abused as well), large scale(meh, it all comes down to Zerg vs Zerg then. Everything that you do feels pointless.) and that it is out there instead of holed in some "Battlegrounds".

They ruined Warhammer IP on the behalf of PvP and now I will not have a good Warhammer RPG until 2020(at least).

I strongly disagree. WAR was much better as a PvP game than it would have been as a PvE one; whether it would have achieved a different level of success with PvE is debatable. Warhammer is first and foremost large-scale miniature battles, so their RvR concept honored the IP not ruined it. It's PvP was fantastic at its core as well and its probably the only reason that the servers are still breathing.

OG_Zorvan

Apprentice Member

5/22/13 11:39:19 PM#29

I mean really, even Rift's going f2p. And I predict that we'll have WoW in f2p by this time next year.

So wtf EA?

By the time WoW loses enough subs to even need to consider F2P, Blizzard will already have released Titan and will have all those sub numbers back on their new game.

So nope, out of all the current mmos, WoW still remains the last I will ever expect to see F2P.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

Gorwe

Elite Member

OP  5/23/13 6:00:04 AM#30
But it's not a Strategy game. If it were, I wouldn't complain. Strategy game = Tabletop.

Meanwhile, it is an RPG. Therefore, it shouldn't be based so much on Tabletop. It should be based more on the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay(WHFRP). RPG = WHFRP.

Simple.

User Deleted
5/25/13 6:10:03 AM#31
But it's not a Strategy game. If it were, I wouldn't complain. Strategy game = Tabletop.

Meanwhile, it is an RPG. Therefore, it shouldn't be based so much on Tabletop. It should be based more on the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay(WHFRP). RPG = WHFRP.

Simple.

The two are one in the same man. Warhammer Fantasy is wargaming and miniatures as much as it is it's incredible setting, if not more so. Warhammer 40k is the same way. The two settings are vast but at their heart are about the fight, the competition, defeating your opponent's armies and reveling in the glory. That fits the PvP bill more so than the PvE one.

I would also love to see BioWare create a RPG for Warhammer fantasy, not an MMO though.

Giddian

Hard Core Member

5/25/13 6:25:26 AM#32

I mean really, even Rift's going f2p. And I predict that we'll have WoW in f2p by this time next year.

So wtf EA?

I'm not sure I understand What the point the OP is Making. Are you trying to say WAR Drove Rift to go F2P and is Driving WOW to do the same?   if so,,, NO.  

or

Think War Should Follow suit?   If So,,,I would give WAR another go if it went F2P.

Ayulin

Novice Member

6/02/13 6:34:16 PM#33
Originally posted by Robokapp
Originally posted by Nitth

I predict that we'll have WoW in f2p by this time next year.

That is not going to happen.

it's already f2p.

with premium option to unlock level 21+. 

It's not F2P.

They changed up their 14 Free Trial with an "Unlimited" Free trial up to level 20.

It's still a trial.

The F2P folks are really having a field day trying to spin that to their advantage. I realize it sounds like a "check-mate" to say "WoW has gone F2P"; a major "win" for the Pro-F2P crowd. Only it hasn't, and it isn't.

Blizzard are cashing in on the popularity of the whole "FREE TO PLAY!" thing, but that's all it is. Notice how they put FREE TO PLAY in all caps, and then 'up to level 20' in smaller text in their ads? Yeah. Marketing. Shrewd marketing. But marketing nonetheless. And it clearly works, because people are actually falling for it.

If you stop and think about why they'd change it from a 14 Day to a Level 20 restriction, it makes perfect sense.

First, consider the rate of progression in WoW, especially at early levels.

How long does it take  you to get to level 20 in WoW these days? Even as a brand new player? An afternoon, maybe?

By comparison, how far could you get in 14 days with very few, if any other restrictions impeding your progress? Level 50? 60? High level Raids?

A player can see a substantial chunk of the game in a 14 day period, without having to pay out one red cent. The more someone gets to do and see without paying a dime, the less appealing it is to buy the whole game.

By limiting it to level 20, Blizzard puts an absolute cap on how far players can get, how many quests they can do and what content they get to experience. Just make anything they want out of reach of a trial player start at level 21+ and voila, they've just restricted the experience more than a 14 day trial would.

However, since they can now say "play as long as you want!" it makes it sound like a sweeter deal. It really isn't. No matter how long you play, you're not doing anything past level 20 without paying up. That's where the catch comes in.

You could be level 20 on multiple characters, and have completed all the pre-20 content within a week, maybe more if you don't play a lot. At that point, what are you going to do? Keep making new characters and re-doing the same 1-20 content over and over again, month in and month out? Of course not.

You're either going to decide "wow this is really fun, I'm gonna go ahead and get the full subscription so I can get past 20 finally", so Blizzard gets your money. Or, you're going to decide "nah, it ain't really for me", stop playing, and get the hell off Blizzard's servers.

Remembering how fast you can level to 20, it's quite feasible that a typical player will reach that "sub or uninstall" point within a week. Even a few days if they're playing a lot.

The "unlimited play to level 20" is really a bogus offer, because there are very few people, if any, who are going to stick with a game where they're doing the same 1-20 content over and over again, starting over every couple days.

It's a Win-Win-Win for Blizzard.  They place a greater restriction on players than a straight-up 14 Day trial would impose, and through shrewd marketing, and use of the word "FREE!", get people to think it's actually a better deal. That is, until you stop and consider the things I listed above - which most people don't. And that's why Blizzard's Marketing works.

Regardless, it's a trial. A rose by any other name.

7imelord

Advanced Member

Brilliant!

7/18/13 7:51:41 PM#34

WoW has made their money already a millions times over and going F2P wouldn't jeopardize their game, but only add more of a player base if it ever went to a F2P model.

WoW isn't going anywhere, this mmorpg is just simply a anomaly and the developers and game company is set for life in their everyday world of putting money in their personal bank, coming home and kissing their wife or husband and feeding the kids so they can go to a decent college. 

Games however like Warhammer Online should get on the F2P structure so at least they could squeeze what they can on this failed title of a game to the masses.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search